inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Boy missing as balloon lands empty.

Written By: Tam on 10/15/09 at 4:37 pm

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091015/ap_on_re_us/us_boy_in_balloon

FORT COLLINS, Colo. – A giant silvery helium balloon floated away from a yard in Colorado with a 6-year-old boy believed to be inside and slowly touched down in a field two hours later with the child nowhere in sight, setting off a frantic search for the boy.

I have been glued more or less to CNN and Wolf Blitzer, waiting for updates about the little boy named Falcon.

Apparently, his brother saw him get into the basket that was attached to the helium balloon, the tethers let go and away the balloon went. The balloon has landed, however the whereabouts of Falcon are still unknown.

A little while ago, a picture was sent in to CNN of the balloon with what appears to be a black spot lower than the balloon, that they are speculating might have been the basket that was attached, but not present when the balloon landed.

My prayers are that Falcon will be found ok, badly hurt but ok.

Subject: Re: Boy missing as balloon lands empty.

Written By: wildcard on 10/15/09 at 4:48 pm

was watching that while resting between between sweepings.  I'm hoping the kid picked a good place to fall out, and only has a broken arm and leg or something.

Written By: Tam on 10/15/09 at 5:10 pm

Falcon has been found alive...

Waiting for more information as it comes in.

Written By: karen on 10/15/09 at 5:21 pm

Apparently he was hiding in his attic the whole time

Written By: Tam on 10/15/09 at 5:24 pm

Apparently he was hiding in his attic the whole time

Yep.

Afraid that he was going to be punished so he hid in a box in the attic of the garage.

Thank goodness he is alright!

Written By: LyricBoy on 10/15/09 at 6:15 pm

Brings back memories of "Lounge Chair Larry".  ;D

http://www.snopes.com/travel/airline/walters.asp

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 10/15/09 at 7:09 pm

I'd like to dedicate this song to little Falcon, who thankfully is alive and well:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWVe3AB8OY8

;D ;D ;D

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 10/15/09 at 7:19 pm

Yep.

Afraid that he was going to be punished so he hid in a box in the attic of the garage.

Thank goodness he is alright!
thanks goodness...now mommy or daddy need to bust that ass    8)

Written By: Tam on 10/15/09 at 7:34 pm

thanks goodness...now mommy or daddy need to bust that ass    8)

Agreed!

Can you imagine if they make the family pay for the fuel and resources used today in the rescue attempt and such? :o :o :o

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 10/15/09 at 7:36 pm

Agreed!

Can you imagine if they make the family pay for the fuel and resources used today in the rescue attempt and such? :o :o :o
yeah, make them pay out of their tv and magazine interview money that they hope to get...I'm sensing that they like the attention

Written By: Tam on 10/15/09 at 7:50 pm

yeah, make them pay out of their tv and magazine interview money that they hope to get...I'm sensing that they like the attention

Well, they have been on Wife Swap TWICE!

And of course they are claiming it wasn't a publicity stunt. ::)

Written By: Foo Bar on 10/15/09 at 9:39 pm

And what a cunning stunt it was.

"We did it for the lulzshow."

The parents would have gotten away with it, if it weren't for their own meddling kid :)

(Falcon, Falcon, m'boy, I'mma let you finish, but Anne Frank is still the Hide-and-Seek Champion of all time.  OF ALL TIME!)

Written By: Marian on 10/16/09 at 1:50 pm

Well, they have been on Wife Swap TWICE!

i don't think a parent wants that kind of publicity.

Written By: danootaandme on 10/16/09 at 3:50 pm

They were on the Today Show this morning.  The kids were nodding and like they had been kept up all night, the young one who was supposed to have been in the balloon was slumped over until he sit up and started puking his guts out.  WTF?

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 10/17/09 at 3:51 am

They were on the Today Show this morning.  The kids were nodding and like they had been kept up all night, the young one who was supposed to have been in the balloon was slumped over until he sit up and started puking his guts out.  WTF?
exploitation has been known to make one sick    http://bestsmileys.com/puking/2.gif

Written By: LyricBoy on 10/17/09 at 7:02 am

The kid blew chow on national TV?  He'll never live that one down.

8-P

Written By: Gis on 10/17/09 at 4:30 pm

I understand they are under investigation now as the kid replied 'you said it was for a t.v. show' when his Dad asked him 'why didn't you just come out then' while being interviewed.....

Written By: danootaandme on 10/17/09 at 4:40 pm

I understand they are under investigation now as the kid replied 'you said it was for a t.v. show' when his Dad asked him 'why didn't you just come out then' while being interviewed.....

Yup

Written By: danootaandme on 10/17/09 at 4:41 pm

The kid blew chow on national TV?  He'll never live that one down.

8-P

Yeah, he was on about the third mouthful before they stopped the interview.    8-P  Still, dear old dad went on with the interview while the kid upchucked on himself. 

www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhIQP801fc

Written By: LyricBoy on 10/17/09 at 5:37 pm

Yeah, he was on about the third mouthful before they stopped the interview.    8-P  Still, dear old dad went on with the interview while the kid upchucked on himself. 

www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhIQP801fc

Wow, I just watched that clip.  The kid sounded like he was coughing up vital organs from the sounds he made off camera.  8-P

Written By: LyricBoy on 10/18/09 at 12:11 pm

Thery had a guy on TV today who demonstrated what I pretty much suspected all along.

That balloon was NOWHERE NEAR BIG ENOUGH to lift itself and a six year old boy.  It takes a pretty good amount of helium to do that.

Also as you see the ballo0n taking off, you can tell that it carries no payload other than itself.  The balloon is a soft, flexible structure, and if in fact the weight of a boy had been in there, it would have been very distorted looking.

The father would have known both of these facts.

Yep... it was a hoax from the get go.

Written By: MrCleveland on 10/18/09 at 3:41 pm

Their parents ARE getting charges pressed.

Now why the fudge would that ever happen? ???

Written By: karen on 10/18/09 at 4:28 pm

Their parents ARE getting charges pressed.

Now why the fudge would that ever happen? ???

wasting police time? 

the cost of the search should be paid for by the parents in my opinion - or by the producer of the 'show'

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 10/18/09 at 6:40 pm

Thery had a guy on TV today who demonstrated what I pretty much suspected all along.

That balloon was NOWHERE NEAR BIG ENOUGH to lift itself and a six year old boy.  It takes a pretty good amount of helium to do that.

Also as you see the ballo0n taking off, you can tell that it carries no payload other than itself.  The balloon is a soft, flexible structure, and if in fact the weight of a boy had been in there, it would have been very distorted looking.

The father would have known both of these facts.

Yep... it was a hoax from the get go.

If this is indeed true, then I hope they throw the book at the dad.

Matter-of-fact, if I was the judge I'd sentence him to get the words "I'M THE IDIOT DAD BEHIND THE COLORADO BALLOON HOAX" tattooed on his forehead, my reasoning being that if that ass clown is so desperate for attention, then by God he's gonna get it.  :P

Written By: Jessica on 10/18/09 at 10:26 pm

Matter-of-fact, if I was the judge I'd sentence him to get the words "I'M THE IDIOT DAD BEHIND THE COLORADO BALLOON HOAX" tattooed on his forehead, my reasoning being that if that ass clown is so desperate for attention, then by God he's gonna get it.  :P

I'd be down with that.

Written By: whistledog on 10/19/09 at 6:29 pm

These parents cooked up this hoax about their "missing" kid, whereas out there in the world, there are kids that actually do go missing. 

It's all a big joke to them.  They should be fined, charged, and have their kids taken away

Written By: LyricBoy on 10/19/09 at 6:53 pm

These parents cooked up this hoax about their "missing" kid, whereas out there in the world, there are kids that actually do go missing. 

It's all a big joke to them.  They should be fined, charged, and have their kids taken away

The father should also be given a good swift kick to the 'nards too.  :o

Written By: Foo Bar on 10/19/09 at 9:36 pm

Matter-of-fact, if I was the judge I'd sentence him to get the words "I'M THE IDIOT DAD BEHIND THE COLORADO BALLOON HOAX" tattooed on his forehead, my reasoning being that if that ass clown is so desperate for attention, then by God he's gonna get it.  :P

Then he'd get paid to put "GOLDENPALACE.COM" on his forehead.  In fact, why didn't he do that on the balloon itself?

Meanwhile... might as well drop some memes while I'm here and their fifteen milliseconds of fame is running out.  My personal favorite:

http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/7343/freshprinceofhotair.jpg

Someone actually went out of their way to Photoshop my gag from a few days back.

http://inlinethumb08.webshots.com/44359/2471658920094042824S425x425Q85.jpg

And topping that is today's Cyanide and Happiness:

http://www.explosm.net/db/files/Comics/Dave/comicannefrankblah.png

Written By: karen on 10/23/09 at 8:41 pm

Mum told deputies that the balloon saga was a hoax

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091023/ap_on_re_us/us_balloon_boy_search

Written By: Tam on 12/23/09 at 10:24 pm

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5iC6jwbmzuVUF4YLJVJo5CPNtOLxQD9CPAJN80

The parents are going to jail!
90 days for the father and 20 days for the mother.
After that, they are barred from any monetary gain from this stunt for 4 years.

The father will be allowed to do his construction job for 60 days (work release), so long as he reports back to jail every night.
Also, an amount that could exceed $50,000 might be awarded in the case, to reimburse the cost of chasing the balloon and investigating the case.

Looks good on 'em, I say!

Written By: whistledog on 12/23/09 at 10:45 pm

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5iC6jwbmzuVUF4YLJVJo5CPNtOLxQD9CPAJN80

The parents are going to jail!
90 days for the father and 20 days for the mother.
After that, they are barred from any monetary gain from this stunt for 4 years.

The father will be allowed to do his construction job for 60 days (work release), so long as he reports back to jail every night.
Also, an amount that could exceed $50,000 might be awarded in the case, to reimburse the cost of chasing the balloon and investigating the case.

Looks good on 'em, I say!

Not a long enough sentence.  Every year, kids sadly go missing, and these people pretty much made a mockery out of that.  They wanted fame, they got shame.

Written By: Foo Bar on 10/16/10 at 5:29 pm

Happy 1st Anniversary, Balloon Boy! 

Your family's ineptitude on dragging the media in it was your...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zdxwoho9v7w

...downfall :)

Written By: Howard on 10/17/10 at 6:52 am

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/10/15/national/main6961443.shtml

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/21/10 at 1:34 am

Happy 1st Anniversary, Balloon Boy!  

Your family's ineptitude on dragging the media in it was your...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zdxwoho9v7w

...downfall :)

Yeah, that sucks a muddy duck!

That's what I'm calling the "New Rickrolling," as in Rickroll (N) and Rickroll, as in TO Rickroll (v) with gerund -ing.  Yes, can be a noun regarding the nature the Rickrolling.  The preceding are all applicable when back-appending "New."
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/13/icon_shaking2.gif

Check for new replies or respond here...