inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What will people remember about this decade?

Written By: Italian_hunk on 10/17/09 at 1:34 pm

What will people remember about this decade?
I think those things will be Y2K, 9/11, bad music (especially 2005-2009) and bad, fluffy 80s-like hair (2007-2009).

Subject: Re: What will people remember about this decade?

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/17/09 at 2:40 pm

The world wide recession ?

Written By: JamieMcBain on 10/17/09 at 2:40 pm

Unfortunatly, as the decade of George W. Bush.

::)

Written By: joeman on 10/18/09 at 11:23 am

What will people remember about this decade?
I think those things will be Y2K, 9/11, bad music (especially 2005-2009) and bad, fluffy 80s-like hair (2007-2009).

The decade we went on a 'crusade' against Afghanistan and Iraq.

I-Pod, Myspace, Facebook, Twitter, Google, etc...

80's nostalgia, emo, indie rock, huge explosion of rap in 2008.

Written By: 80sfan on 10/18/09 at 11:28 am

Iraq, 9/11, Tsunami, Katrina, Kanye West  ;D , Britney going crazy, George Bush, Obama as first black president, Economic downturn 2008/2009, Hip hop, cell phones, low rise jeans, DVD's becoming common, Harry Potter, and more!...

Written By: Italian_hunk on 10/18/09 at 2:59 pm

Iraq, 9/11, Tsunami, Katrina, Kanye West  ;D , Britney going crazy, George Bush, Obama as first black president, Economic downturn 2008/2009, Hip hop, cell phones, low rise jeans, DVD's becoming common, Harry Potter, and more!...

So... it appears to me most of us will remember that decade as really really bad. Most of what you and the others replied are bad things. That really is the worst decade ever, huh? The only positive things stated were Obama, cell phones , Web 2.0 (Myspace, Facebook etc.) and DVDs. It's so bland when you compare it to any of the previous decades. Previous decades just screemed "Cool"!

Written By: 80sfan on 10/18/09 at 3:28 pm

So... it appears to me most of us will remember that decade as really really bad. Most of what you and the others replied are bad things. That really is the worst decade ever, huh? The only positive things stated were Obama, cell phones , Web 2.0 (Myspace, Facebook etc.) and DVDs. It's so bland when you compare it to any of the previous decades. Previous decades just screemed "Cool"!

You are 100% right, this decade is horrible!  :o

Written By: whistledog on 10/18/09 at 7:22 pm

The return of syndicated daytime gameshows (some which though were short-lived, were still great) ...

♦ Family Feud
♦ To Tell the Truth
♦ Pyramid
♦ Merv Griffin's Crosswords
♦ Trivial Pursuit: America Plays

Written By: yelimsexa on 10/19/09 at 2:13 pm

Reality TV. From Survivor and Big Brother's big debuts in 2000, the genre has basically prevailed. Also MTV meaning Moronic Television and Nickelodeon catering to 2-8 year olds. Also, lots of AD CREEP- the ever-increasing instance of advertisements (commercials within TV shows, before movies, Supergraphics, on moving vehicles, and on roads.

Written By: tv on 10/19/09 at 4:50 pm

Reality TV. From Survivor and Big Brother's big debuts in 2000, the genre has basically prevailed. Also MTV meaning Moronic Television and Nickelodeon catering to 2-8 year olds. Also, lots of AD CREEP- the ever-increasing instance of advertisements (commercials within TV shows, before movies, Supergraphics, on moving vehicles, and on roads.

Why does everybody make reality TV in 2009 seem like its as popular currently from 2000-2004 because it is not. Reality TV was pretty popular in the first half of this decade I'll give you that but not really the last half.

Written By: sonikuu on 10/20/09 at 5:58 am

Why does everybody make reality TV in 2009 seem like its as popular currently from 2000-2004 because it is not. Reality TV was pretty popular in the first half of this decade I'll give you that but not really the last half.

I personally am not really sure why people do that either.  Reality tv is still popular, but it's popularity is mostly confined to the cable networks.  It's nowhere near as bad on the regular networks as it was back in the first half of the decade.  2005 was when drama type stuff like Lost, Desperate Housewives, and all that got popular, pushing out the highly saturated reality tv genre.  I was so glad that happened too as network tv was absolutely godawful from 2002-2003.  I think some of the people on this board tend to paint the 00s with a very broad stroke and assume that each year is worse than the year before.  There's tons of crap reality tv, but there's plenty of good shows out there.  Also, keep in mind that while they didn't have reality tv, previous decades had tons of generic copycat sitcoms with no originality at all. 

Written By: tv on 10/20/09 at 11:09 am

The decade we went on a 'crusade' against Afghanistan and Iraq.

I-Pod, Myspace, Facebook, Twitter, Google, etc...

80's nostalgia, emo, indie rock, huge explosion of rap in 2008.
Rap was really popular from 2003-early 2006 and 2007-July 2008. It has been electro-pop that has been popular since late 2008.

Written By: tv on 10/20/09 at 11:14 am

I personally am not really sure why people do that either.  Reality tv is still popular, but it's popularity is mostly confined to the cable networks.  It's nowhere near as bad on the regular networks as it was back in the first half of the decade.  2005 was when drama type stuff like Lost, Desperate Housewives, and all that got popular, pushing out the highly saturated reality tv genre.  I was so glad that happened too as network tv was absolutely godawful from 2002-2003.  I think some of the people on this board tend to paint the 00s with a very broad stroke and assume that each year is worse than the year before.  There's tons of crap reality tv, but there's plenty of good shows out there.  Also, keep in mind that while they didn't have reality tv, previous decades had tons of generic copycat sitcoms with no originality at all.  
Yeah 2005-2006 was when the 1 hour drama TV category became king on TV. Than in 2007-September 2008 was when the game show genre became with "Deal Or No Deal", "Don't Forget The Lyrics, and "Are You Smarter Than a Fifth Grader" than the game show genre fell out of favor right after when the econmomic recession took place.

Written By: danootaandme on 10/20/09 at 3:12 pm

World Trade Center, GW Bush, Obama.

Written By: xris on 08/12/18 at 10:29 am

Lol, I didn't like it back then (I'm OP) as I had some personal struggles, but I think, looking back the culture was quite good and improvin in 2009. In the early 2010s it got better though.

Written By: 2001 on 08/12/18 at 11:07 am

Lol, I didn't like it back then (I'm OP) as I had some personal struggles, but I think, looking back the culture was quite good and improvin in 2009. In the early 2010s it got better though.

The early 2010s came in like a miraculous gift from the heavens. I grew up in the 2000s and I thought life was supposed to be mediocre and miserable ;D

Written By: mwalker1996 on 08/12/18 at 11:10 pm

The early 2010s came in like a miraculous gift from the heavens. I grew up in the 2000s and I thought life was supposed to be mediocre and miserable ;D
The 2000s were great for me, the only part of the 2000s I didn't really enjoy were the last few months of it, but I guess for you guys being teens in the decade affected your overall opinion on it. I was a kid pretty much the entire decade so every year felt innocent to me.

Written By: piecesof93 on 08/13/18 at 12:33 am

The 2000s were great for me, the only part of the 2000s I didn't really enjoy were the last few months of it, but I guess for you guys being teens in the decade affected your overall opinion on it. I was a kid pretty much the entire decade so every year felt innocent to me.

Nope. I was a teen then and 2000s were still awesome.

Written By: xris on 08/13/18 at 6:50 am

I think people will remember the shift where popular jock/cheerleeder characters got demoted from being seen as cool to comedy foil category. What was once dorky like acting club, orchestra, ecology clubs etc. now is the new cool:

https://blog.nationalgeographic.org/2012/03/20/21-jump-street-is-right-environmentalists-are-now-the-cool-kids-in-high-school/

I think the shift started in mid 00s with things like High School Musical, The Big Bang Theory and later, Glee. I like it like that, the pre-2005 social strata was outright abusive towards anyone not being a jock/cheerleeder. It was such a superficial culture. 80s borns miss it but that;s beause we had the same abusive social structure in school and high school.

Check for new replies or respond here...