inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Pop music is really back to the US

Written By: Brian06 on 10/24/09 at 7:42 pm

It's really hit me lately, pop music is really back to the USA since 2008. I've been listening to pop radio today and it really is like pop bliss these days...You Belong With Me, Waking Up In Vegas, Down, Party In The USA, Whatchu Say, Paparazzi, Sweet Dreams, Fireflies, Meet Me Halfway, Already Gone, Battlefield, I Gotta Feeling, Good Girls Go Bad, Sexy Chick, etc. Music on top 40 radio is actually catchy again.  :o I remember the days of 2004 when pop radio was nearly a clone of urban radio in this country, now there's literally no way I could picture Ying Yang Twins, Lil Jon, G Unit, Chingy, Juvenile, J-Kwon on top 40 radio. I quite disliked 2006 and 2007 for a lot of music, but I really like 2009!

Subject: Re: Pop music is really back to the US

Written By: 435wtr on 10/24/09 at 8:42 pm

It definitley is back, but I miss the good beats of the songs that were on the charts back in 2005-2007, most of the songs now all have synthy beats, which isn't my thing

Written By: 80sfan on 10/24/09 at 8:55 pm

I'm glad that crunk and glam rap/ring tone rap era is over! Whew.  ::)

Written By: Brian06 on 10/24/09 at 9:02 pm

It definitley is back, but I miss the good beats of the songs that were on the charts back in 2005-2007, most of the songs now all have synthy beats, which isn't my thing

The main thing which turns me off about 2006 and 2007 is the gimmicky no name rappers, I mean these guys were coming out of nowhere left and right and entering the US top 10 just like that it was ridiculous really. I'm talking Mims, Yung Joc, Young Dro, Jibbs, Webstar, Hurricane Chris, Unk, Plies, Baby Boy da Prince, Rich Boy...who the hell are these guys?  8-P I like some hip-hop (I like the new Jay-Z and Drake songs and I am also a T.I. fan), but I hate that particular gimmick breed of hip-hop with the lame dances and all that, it sucks so bad imo. Thank god songs like that aren't big hits anymore.

Written By: joeman on 10/24/09 at 9:42 pm

The main thing which turns me off about 2006 and 2007 is the gimmicky no name rappers, I mean these guys were coming out of nowhere left and right and entering the US top 10 just like that it was ridiculous really. I'm talking Mims, Yung Joc, Young Dro, Jibbs, Webstar, Hurricane Chris, Unk, Plies, Baby Boy da Prince, Rich Boy...who the hell are these guys?  8-P I like some hip-hop (I like the new Jay-Z and Drake songs and I am also a T.I. fan), but I hate that particular gimmick breed of hip-hop with the lame dances and all that, it sucks so bad imo. Thank god songs like that aren't big hits anymore.

I definitely agree with you on that.  It seemed like the industry thought we needed something new with rap music, and a lot of those rappers appeared mixing with dance music(which is pretty popular in some states).  Though I think 50 Cent started it(still can't believe he has a video game!)

Written By: Brian06 on 10/24/09 at 9:44 pm

I definitely agree with you on that.  It seemed like the industry thought we needed something new with rap music, and a lot of those rappers appeared mixing with dance music(which is pretty popular in some states).  Though I think 50 Cent started it(still can't believe he has a video game!)

And his own flavor of Vitamin Water!  ;D

Written By: LyricBoy on 10/25/09 at 7:10 am

Let's just hope that emo pop does not follow this current pop explosion !

Written By: whistledog on 10/25/09 at 9:20 am

I currently have 4 songs that are right now in the Canadian Top 40 on my ZUNE.  That is a first! :o

Written By: 80sfan on 10/25/09 at 9:48 am

People, do you know what this means? 2010's music will be better than 2000's music! Haha.  ;D

Written By: joeman on 10/25/09 at 10:09 am

People, do you know what this means? 2010's music will be better than 2000's music! Haha.  ;D

I hope so, as I hope 2010's would be my time.

Written By: Brian06 on 10/25/09 at 10:12 am

I hope more dance music comes to the US charts, we have a handful in the top 40 now which is A LOT for the hot 100. This is really the opportunity for it to. I hope UK synthpop artists La Roux and Little Boots come to America as well!

Written By: 80sfan on 10/25/09 at 11:32 am

I hope so, as I hope 2010's would be my time.

How old are you? And what do you mean by 'my time'?

Written By: whistledog on 10/25/09 at 3:07 pm

I hope UK synthpop artists La Roux and Little Boots come to America as well!

They may have a good chance as both are already making waves in Canada ...

Little Boots released an EP here called 'Illuminations' and the single 'Bulletproof' by La Roux is currently sitting at #69 on the Canadian Hot 100

Written By: joeman on 10/25/09 at 4:08 pm

How old are you? And what do you mean by 'my time'?

Hoping to get a house and family in the next decade.

Written By: 80sfan on 10/25/09 at 5:07 pm

Hoping to get a house and family in the next decade.

I see.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 10/25/09 at 5:09 pm

Yeah! Crunk and emo, are nearly dead!

Written By: Brian06 on 10/25/09 at 5:18 pm

Hope it stays that way!

Written By: fireflies on 10/26/09 at 11:36 am

Crunk is beyond dead. Emo isn't dead, but the emo of 2009 is different from the emo of 2006, it's more electronic and Fall Out Boy type stuff is very dated now. Emo will probably be pretty much dead by 2011.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 10/26/09 at 1:17 pm

Crunk is beyond dead. Emo isn't dead, but the emo of 2009 is different from the emo of 2006, it's more electronic and Fall Out Boy type stuff is very dated now. Emo will probably be pretty much dead by 2011.

2011 can't come soon enough, then.

;D

Written By: whistledog on 10/26/09 at 6:56 pm

In my books, Emo never existed.  I avoid that stuff like the plague

Written By: Brian06 on 10/26/09 at 7:16 pm

I was never much of an emo fan, and I have a liking for lots of music I know is bad because its catchy and puts me in a good mood. But even I can't take listening to guys thats sound like girls screaming in annoyingly high voices about how much their life sucks.

Written By: STUCKONYOU on 10/28/09 at 12:06 pm

me either. emo is depressing and id rather listen to something that picks up my mood

Check for new replies or respond here...