inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Dance Music Discussion

Written By: whistledog on 11/07/09 at 6:16 pm

The 2000s was really a crappy decade for music ... but only if you listen to what's in the mainstream (which mostly applies to the US/Canada).  If you're like me, and you love dance/trance/techno/house music, then you certainly came upon lots of favourites in this past decade. 

I just made a collection of dance hits for my Zune.  Will post it later ...

2009 was a stellar year for dance music here in Canada, the biggest surprise being David Guetta, who not only reached #2 with his album 'One Love', but scored a pair of Top 40 hits with 'When Love Takes Over' and 'Sexy Bitch'.  Also, his collaboration with the Black Eyed Peas on the #1 hit 'I Gotta Feeling' helped make that song the biggest hit single of 2009 across North America.  Not only did he produce, co-write and remix it, but he also has a cameo appearance in the video.

'One Love' was so good, I went out and bought a hard copy.  Yes folks, I bought a CD! 

Subject: Re: Dance Music Discussion

Written By: Midas on 11/09/09 at 5:02 pm

'One Love' was so good, I went out and bought a hard copy.   Yes folks, I bought a CD! 

:o :D

My taste in 2000s dance music has been influenced by the following:  Peter Rauhofer, Thunderpuss (Chris Cox & Barry Harris), Armand Van Helden, David Guetta, Paul Van Dyk, Tiesto, Eric Kupper, Benny Benassi, Paul Oakenfold, and as of late Tommie Sunshine, Crookers, MSTRKRFT, Chromeo, LCD Soundsystem, Dirty South, Scissor Sisters, Bimbo Jones, and Dave Audé.  There's probably more names I could drop.  :D

I had the luxury of a local dance station for 5 years until it's demise.  My tastes have evolved from the Thunderpuss Anthems of the early 00s to Electro-bangers/Punk Disco of the last few years.

Written By: 90steen on 11/10/09 at 8:03 pm

This decade started out with really good dance music, IMO. Up until 2003 it was amazing. i'm also liking some of the recent dance music of this year. The 90's is probably the decade for dance, though,

Written By: Silver Power on 11/12/09 at 2:09 pm

If you're like me, and you love dance/trance/techno/house music

And I am!

I think the 90s were the best years for dance, but I'm glad newer artists are bringing it back to the mainstream!

But some of my favorite dance artists of all time are The Real McCoy, Lady Gaga, Amber, Cascada, just to name a few.

Written By: midnite on 11/13/09 at 12:57 pm

Jason - Your llist of great dance tunes is amazing, yet overwhelmingly long.  Thank you for the post!!!!!  I must agree that the saving grace for 00's music, has been dance music.  I don't see too may instrumental dance tunes here such as Ida Engberg's "Disco Volante" or Mason's "Exceeder."  :)

My favorites of 00s dance have been "trance" DJs such as Above & Beyond, The Thrillseekers, Tiesto, Armin Van Buuren.  However I enjoy most of the "dance" tunes listed here.  There are alot of classics such as Sophie Ellis Bextor, Shapeshifters, Scooter, etc.

Torrey - I think we all can agree that 90s dance music was fun and great.  However, I feel that the 00's dance music has pushed boundaries and there has been alot of great music.

Written By: whistledog on 11/14/09 at 12:43 pm

Jason - Your llist of great dance tunes is amazing, yet overwhelmingly long.  Thank you for the post!!!!!  I must agree that the saving grace for 00's music, has been dance music.  I don't see too may instrumental dance tunes here such as Ida Engberg's "Disco Volante" or Mason's "Exceeder."  :)

I now split it into 2 volumes.  It took along time to compile, as i put the tracks in order of release/chart date to show the progression of dance music in the 00s.  We've come along way since the Vengaboys LOL

I forgot about Mason's Exceeder.  I've still got alot to include yet.  When I'm done, I'll have atleast 400 songs

Written By: DJ Blaze on 11/14/09 at 12:47 pm

I mainly get my dance music from the game DanceDanceRevolution, as well as some XM stations. Naoki Maeda, BeForU, Cascada, and a few more are my faves. I love 90s-style rave.

Written By: tnf on 11/24/09 at 2:08 am

My favorites (sometimes well-known, sometimes unknown):

Bel Amour - Bel amour (Vocal Mix)
Layo & Bushwacka - Love story (Extended Radio Mix)
Laurent Garnier - The sound of the big babou
Etienne de Crecy - Am I wrong
Mylo - Paris 400 (Etienne de Crecy Remix)
Mekon ft. Marc Almond - Please stay (Royksopp Remix)  
Chelonis - Le bateau ivre (Samin & Michal Almost Sober Mix)
The Ones - Flawless
Soha - Amour  
Ida Engberg - Disco volante (Sebastien Leger Remix)
Savas Pascalidis - Superman
Basement Jaxx - Bingo bango
Daft Punk - One more time
Mish Mash - Speechless (Original Mix)
Royksopp - Remind me (video version)
Noze - Les cour des miracles  
Benjamin Theves - Texas  
Superman Lovers - Starlight
Ian Pooley- 900 degrees

Others: check my signature.

I have to say almost al my 00's favorites are from 2000-2005.

Written By: Kyle 230 on 12/01/09 at 11:17 am

This decade started out with really good dance music, IMO. Up until 2003 it was amazing. i'm also liking some of the recent dance music of this year. The 90's is probably the decade for dance, though,

Dance will be probably bigger in th '10s...I can see that.

Written By: whistledog on 12/01/09 at 5:43 pm

I can see that.

Then give us that crystal ball oh magic wizard

Written By: James78 on 12/02/09 at 9:42 am

I wonder why the current music is so bad? Seriously, the first part of the decade had better music. Even Kylie and Britney sounded good back then, now they sound like crap. And what's all that hype around sh*t like Lady Gaga, Miley Cyrus, Jonas Bros and the likes? For me good music was over in 2005 when James Blunt and the likes started becoming famous. The second part of the 00s is surely the time of my life I would like to forget. Not only my personal life sucks, but I can't listen to good music anymore. I'll stick to pre-2005 music. Even rap was better than auto tune and current synthpop (which is worse than the first wave of synth pop decades ago). A good thing is that Hannah Montana will be over by 2011. Let's hope Miley will fade into obscurity after its final episode.

Check for new replies or respond here...