inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Aerosmith to replace Steven Tyler?

Written By: Ryan112390 on 11/08/09 at 1:18 pm

http://www.nme.com/news/aerosmith/48263

Aerosmith are considering replacing Steven Tyler with a new vocalist, according to guitarist Brad Whitford.

The band's future has been thrown into doubt over recent months, after Tyler fell offstage during a gig in Dakota in August. Aerosmith subsequently postponed a South American tour, and lead guitarist Joe Perry admitted that Tyler had 'got to get his act together' if the band are to survive.

In a new interview with Classic Rock magazine, Whitford has revealed that the band are to hold meetings – probably without Tyler – in the next fortnight to discuss their future. One direction being considered is to replace Tyler with a new singer, Whitford confirmed.

"I'm not sure how good that would look, it would largely depend on who we could get and who would want to do it. That's big shoes to fill," he said.

"Nobody could replace Steven or imitate him – he's one of a kind. But if somebody was willing to do it and the chemistry was right, why not?"

He added that for Aerosmith's recent gigs, Tyler had been given a separate dressing room to the rest of the band.

In September, Perry said he still hoped to record a new Aerosmith album with Tyler.

Subject: Re: Aerosmith to replace Steven Tyler?

Written By: LyricBoy on 11/08/09 at 3:35 pm

Sounds like this is more than just an issue of his fall offstage.

I wonder what's up with Steven?

I don't know how you replace him onstage.  That would be worse than when they had "Fake Jan" on that Brady Bunch reunion show.  :-\\

Written By: MrCleveland on 11/08/09 at 3:40 pm

How about Paul Rodgers?

He's always replacing someone.

Written By: ChuckyG on 11/08/09 at 4:32 pm

Todd Rundgren?  he already played a fake Jim Morrison and he stood in for Stephen as a dad for Liv all those years...

Written By: whistledog on 11/08/09 at 5:03 pm

If Steven Tyler was replaced, guaranteed if Aerosmith did have further success, it wouldn't be like what they had.

Written By: LyricBoy on 11/08/09 at 6:20 pm

How about Paul Rodgers?

He's always replacing someone.

Nah, Paul Rogers sings waaaaaaaaaaaaay too good to be a Tyler standin.

As a side note, I cannot understand why Mr. Rogers has not yet been inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.  :-\\

Written By: Step-chan on 11/08/09 at 6:55 pm

I don't think it's a good idea to replace him.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/09/09 at 1:05 am

How about Mike Huckabee?  He plays guitar and sings, and he likes to be the star of the show...

OK, listen boys, I know they never told the Rolling Stones this, but even rock bands can retire.  They don't have to split up.  The can just retire.  You know, winter on Jupiter Island with 18 holes a day and all the Martinis you can drink. 

No, Steve, I was talking golf.

Then, you can buy "Toys in the Attic" for your granddaughter and bore her crazy with how great they were at West Coast Rock Fest '75....

8)

Written By: Davester on 11/09/09 at 1:30 am

How about Mike Huckabee?  He plays guitar and sings, and he likes to be the star of the show...

OK, listen boys, I know they never told the Rolling Stones this, but even rock bands can retire.  They don't have to split up.  The can just retire.  You know, winter on Jupiter Island with 18 holes a day and all the Martinis you can drink. 

No, Steve, I was talking golf.

Then, you can buy "Toys in the Attic" for your granddaughter and bore her crazy with how great they were at West Coast Rock Fest '75....

8)

Awesome..! 8)

Written By: danootaandme on 11/09/09 at 8:45 am

I wonder what's up with Steven?

Well, he is 61 years old.  He isn't gonna bounce back like he did in his 30s. Soon he will have to sing "Walk This Way" with a walker.  The group has always just been a B-side Rolling Stones anyway.  When it is time to go, it is time to go.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 11/09/09 at 9:35 am

Personally, I think that the band, should split.

Written By: La Roche on 11/09/09 at 11:48 am

No Tyler, no Aerosmith.

Written By: Step-chan on 11/09/09 at 12:36 pm

No Tyler, no Aerosmith.

Applauds

Written By: LyricBoy on 11/09/09 at 2:25 pm

Brad Whitford has been having his problems lately.

Earlier this year he announced that he's divorcing his wife, the luscious Jane Kazmarek.  :-*

Now he wants to dump Steven.  :-\\

Written By: Dagwood on 11/09/09 at 5:51 pm

It's happened...no more Steven Tyler.  :\'(

http://www.comcast.net/music/blindedbythehype/9265/joeperrytakesontyler/

Joe Perry Takes on Tyler
By JT Ramsay
Mon, 09 Nov 2009 16:52:36 GMT
Are the Toxic Twins living up to their name once again?

No, Steven Tyler and Joe Perry aren't up to their old habits, they're just taking potshots at each other in the press!

Last Thursday the Aerosmith frontman was talking like he was breaking off from Aerosmith to do his own thing, and now it seems Joe Perry's ready to find his replacement! Perry told the Las Vegas Sun, 'Steven quit as far as I can tell,' sounding very much in the dark of Tyler's future in the band.

When Perry first started making noises about Aerosmith's uncertain future back in September, it sounded like he was trying to turn his frustration over their failed tour into publicity for his solo album. Now it's obvious that Perry has serious doubts about the future of the rock institution he founded almost 40 years ago.

He told the Sun, 'Aerosmith is such a powerful band, I mean it's like a steam locomotive. You just can't disregard 40 years of four guys who play together as well as they do. We're just trying to -- at least I am -- trying to figure out what direction the band should take.'

Perry seems to be shopping around for his ideal frontman, too, saying that Aerosmith may be improved with a new singer. Them's fightin' words!

Does it even need to be said that Velvet Revolver have probably found their new lead singer?

Written By: Lindee on 11/10/09 at 10:22 am

Brad Whitford has been having his problems lately.

Earlier this year he announced that he's divorcing his wife, the luscious Jane Kazmarek.  :-*

Now he wants to dump Steven.  :-\\

You're thinking of Brad Whitford, the actor (married to Jane Kaczmarek) not Brad Whitford the musician (Aerosmith).

Written By: LyricBoy on 11/10/09 at 11:17 am

You're thinking of Brad Whitford, the actor (married to Jane Kaczmarek) not Brad Whitford the musician (Aerosmith).

Oh OK that explains alot.  Always wondered how actor Brad got to be in such a cool band.

Written By: Step-chan on 11/10/09 at 12:38 pm

They might as well retire now.

I don't think this will work out as well.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/10/09 at 9:21 pm

Well, he is 61 years old.  He isn't gonna bounce back like he did in his 30s. Soon he will have to sing "Walk This Way" with a walker. 

;D ;D ;D

Funny, Tyler did say his use of the phrase "Walk this way" was inspired by the "Walk this way" joke in "Young Frankenstein"!

Aereosmith without Steve Tyler is like the Rolling Stones without Mick Jagger, or more like David Bowie without David Bowie!

::)

Written By: 80sfan on 11/11/09 at 9:21 am

I think Steven's been jaded!  ;D

Written By: LooLoo on 11/11/09 at 11:15 am

He hasn't left. Go to Perez and they just did a performance at an event and he walked up and
said "Does it look like I'm leaving Aerosmith?"

So, yayyyy :D

Written By: JamieMcBain on 11/11/09 at 12:06 pm

So, he is still the lead singer?

Written By: Dagwood on 11/11/09 at 1:08 pm

Guess it depends on the mood of the day. ;D

Written By: karen on 11/11/09 at 1:10 pm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/8355485.stm

Written By: Step-chan on 11/12/09 at 12:45 pm

Alrighty then.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/13/09 at 11:38 pm

So, he is still the lead singer?

He's the only Aereosmith lead singer.  There can be no other.  Though, I would like to see William Shatner doing "Dream On"!

Written By: DJ Blaze on 11/14/09 at 12:45 pm

What would Aerosmith be without Steve?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/02/09 at 12:01 am

What would Aerosmith be without Steve?

The Karaoke backup band at your local VFW.

Written By: 80sfan on 12/02/09 at 12:34 am

The Karaoke backup band at your local VFW.

Nice one!  ;D

Check for new replies or respond here...