inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The 00s in 7 minutes

Written By: sonikuu on 11/10/09 at 2:48 am

http://2010.newsweek.com/video/decade-in-seven-minutes.html

Pretty interesting summary of the decade.  Interesting how everything goes to hell after 9/11.  Late 2001 to early 2003 in particular is one long list of fear and paranoia except for a few pop culture items.

Subject: Re: The 00s in 7 minutes

Written By: batfan2005 on 11/10/09 at 3:18 am

Thanks for sharing! I agree about the late 2001 to late 2003 being a depressing time and fear-based. The late 2000's (2006-2009) were also pretty depressing, with the exception of the Wii and PS3, and Obama getting elected, mainly with the economy going in the toilet. I should have just said 2000, 2004, and 2005 were the only good years of the decade, with the exception of the Florida recount fiasco, Bush's re-election, the tsunami, and Katrina. 2008 was also pretty good pop-culture wise and in my personal life. 2009 has been decent, but is different from the W Bush years (mainly in a good way, but there is a lot of disappointment for Obama and politcal tension with issues such as health care reform, and whether the economy is recovering or not).

Written By: 435wtr on 11/10/09 at 11:14 am

It's kind of ridiculous how everything just went downhill and fast after Bush got elected, but I've also noticed its been a decade of escapism to entertainment, the ipod, huge movies, its like everyone needed to get their mind off of the hell that was happening.

Written By: tv on 11/10/09 at 4:53 pm

It's kind of ridiculous how everything just went downhill and fast after Bush got elected, but I've also noticed its been a decade of escapism to entertainment, the ipod, huge movies, its like everyone needed to get their mind off of the hell that was happening.
Bush did have a good first term as president but much of his second presidential term was terrible like after the whole Hurricane Katrina fiasco in August of 2005.

Written By: sonikuu on 11/11/09 at 3:18 am

Bush did have a good first term as president but much of his second presidential term was terrible like after the whole Hurricane Katrina fiasco in August of 2005.

Bush's presidency went downhill long before that.  Many of the things that went wrong or were most controversial about his second term have their roots in his first.  The difference is that the US supported Bush from 2001-2003 (2004 was about even for support/don't support) and generally turned a blind eye towards his policies.  The Iraq War, Guantanamo Bay, Patriot Act, things going downhill in Afghanistan, and the economic crisis (though some aspects of the crisis are a couple decades in the making and Bush isn't totally to blame) are all things that either started in his first term or occurred because of policies followed in his first term.

Hurricane Katrina was a major watershed for his presidency though.  Prior to that, Bush's poll numbers were about even for Approve/Disapprove.  Sometimes slightly more for Approve, sometimes slightly more for Disapprove, but overall it averaged out to about half-half.  After Katrina, his poll numbers permanently shifted to Disapprove and never recovered.

Written By: MrCleveland on 11/13/09 at 7:36 am

Bush's presidency went downhill long before that.  Many of the things that went wrong or were most controversial about his second term have their roots in his first.  The difference is that the US supported Bush from 2001-2003 (2004 was about even for support/don't support) and generally turned a blind eye towards his policies.  The Iraq War, Guantanamo Bay, Patriot Act, things going downhill in Afghanistan, and the economic crisis (though some aspects of the crisis are a couple decades in the making and Bush isn't totally to blame) are all things that either started in his first term or occurred because of policies followed in his first term.

Hurricane Katrina was a major watershed for his presidency though.  Prior to that, Bush's poll numbers were about even for Approve/Disapprove.  Sometimes slightly more for Approve, sometimes slightly more for Disapprove, but overall it averaged out to about half-half.  After Katrina, his poll numbers permanently shifted to Disapprove and never recovered.

I agree with the whole like/dislike of Bush...it didn't recover during his 2nd Term.

But politics aside, 2000's was a sucky decade for pop culture. What did we have? Miley Cyrus? Survivor? Saw Series? Yes, Bush was no help with this decade, but with the 70's at least we could escape with All in the Family, Led Zepplin, and Jaws!

Written By: Kyle 230 on 12/02/09 at 8:58 am

I agree with the whole like/dislike of Bush...it didn't recover during his 2nd Term.

But politics aside, 2000's was a sucky decade for pop culture. What did we have? Miley Cyrus? Survivor? Saw Series? Yes, Bush was no help with this decade, but with the 70's at least we could escape with All in the Family, Led Zepplin, and Jaws!

The '70s was not that great either.  There was a lot of bland pop-culture in the '70s too and a lot of the '70s was a  more matured version of the '60s.  The '70s and 2000s are pretty equivalent with the way the decade is layed out, along with pop culture and politics, except for 9/11.

Written By: James78 on 12/02/09 at 9:54 am

Should I feel guilty about liking 2003?
For God's sake I was in high school then, 8th grade was the best!!! I think personal life is more important than politics.
(78 is not my year of birth).
But the interesting thing is that my life sucked from Sept 2001- Dec 2002. It coincided with 9/11.
I liked 2001 up until August (included) - again a coincidence.
But 2003 was a GREAT year for me and 2004 also was good.
2002 and 2003 were very different for me, while 2002 was like hell, 2003 felt like heaven.
Oh god I miss my high school. Whoever said that college life = best years in life have been bullied in high school.
I didn't see the parts for the second part of the decade because I just don't like those years (2005-2009) and I don't want to remember anything from 05-09.
My favorite years are 2000, 2001 (Jan-Aug), 2003 and 2004 - now these I will always remember.
And while the summary is good, I think what matter most in one's life is personal stuff like family, school, friends, love, loneliness, confidence, etc.
This has little to do with politics.
While 9/11 made people more caring and less greedy, by 2006 many celebrities started showing greediness again.

Written By: 80sfan on 12/02/09 at 12:09 pm

I liked 2000-2004, but hated 2005 to 2009. I love the first half, but hate the second half!  ;D

This is my personal life.

Written By: Frank D on 12/03/09 at 5:48 pm

I hated 2003 because I lost my aunt from cancer. She was great aunt!

Written By: joeman on 12/03/09 at 7:29 pm

I liked 2000-2004, but hated 2005 to 2009. I love the first half, but hate the second half!  ;D

This is my personal life.

That is how I felt too, except I'd move the early part to 2002 and end the later part to 2008.

you deserve a fudge btw!

EDIT:  I really hated the core years of the 00's for many reasons.  It really felt like everyone was materialistic to a degree and there was a lot of advertisements on new phones and mp3 players.  Kids really didn't play outside anymore and became overprotected.  Gas prices fluctuated frequently and now it will never go below the 2 dollar mark.  Personally, I had a job that started changing its policies frequently in order to adjust to their financial despair.  There was barely any good music out, considering my alt rock radio station turned in to another rap station.  Fashion sucked too, it was either torn jeans(I know this goes back to the 80's but I really hated then) or skinny jeans.  Worst of all, President Bush was president. 

Written By: 80sfan on 12/03/09 at 7:36 pm

That is how I felt too, except I'd move the early part to 2002 and end the later part to 2008.

you deserve a fudge btw!

Rorschach, I think a fudge is a bad thing! You didn't like what I said about Elian Gonzales?

Written By: joeman on 12/03/09 at 7:44 pm

I was wonder what fudge meant.  I was just referring to a post the other day and I got a fudge right after you replied to my comment.  In a way, it is sort of a karma.  Feel free to fudge me in return.  ;)

Check for new replies or respond here...