inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Jeff Dunham. WTF?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/13/09 at 11:23 pm

(If you like Jeff Dunham, I apologize in advance for raking your guy over the coals.)
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/08/rudolf.gif

Why is this not-funny/not-talented doojnozzle on TV in the first place?

OK, first time I saw him a few years ago, I thought, "Well, this is too painful to watch.  He's a ventriloquist who looks like he's getting a prostate exam while he does act.  It's embarrassing.  Poor guy.  Well, I guess that's the last we'll see of him."

Then they kept showing his "specials" over and over and over and over again.  I thought, "There's 80 years of comedy to pick from and Comedy Central keep coming up with this no-talent putz?  Ack!  It's annoying.  He's so pathetic, it makes me feel sad just clicking past him with the remote."  

Then, wouldn'tcha know it, they gave that idiot  his OWN F**KING SHOW!   What gives?

The basic rule of ventriloquism is you get good enough so you don't move your lips so it looks like the dummy's talking.  Dunham doesn't know how to do that.  I could list the other things that suck about Dunham, but what's the point?  It's like being a mime and explaining what you're imitating to the audience; it totally blows the point.  Mind you, ventriloquist is a step above mime and a step below prop comic, anyway...

Am I just getting old?  In my day a TOP NOTCH ventriloquist -- we're talking best in the business -- might -- might -- get a one-time five-minute gig on Carson.  I know because I remember some and they didn't like like they were getting peanut butter off their gums like Dunham does.  

Jeff Dunham is miserable, man, just frikkin' miserable!

http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/12/homework.gif

Subject: Re: Jeff Dunham. WTF?

Written By: whistledog on 11/14/09 at 6:51 am

Jeff Dunham, the Chuck andBob of the 00s

The basic rule of ventriloquism is you get good enough so you don't move your lips so it looks like the dummy's talking.  Dunham doesn't know how to do that. 

It's good to know I'm not the only one who noticed this.  His jokes and bits are good, but they only work if you can make it look like it's coming from the dummy, which it is, but not the right dummy LOL  Jeff Dunham ain't no Willie Tyler, and probably never will be. 

Written By: Dagwood on 11/14/09 at 8:38 am

I like Jeff Dunham.  He cracks me up.  Yeah, his mouth is weird, but I usually am watching the puppet.  I like the show.  It is nice to take a half hour to suspend the real world and just laugh.

Written By: Red Ant on 11/14/09 at 10:42 am

I like Jeff Dunham. I agree he's not the best ventroloquist, but I guess I don't really care about that too much lol. Any comedian will wear thin if one station keeps showing his stuff. As much as I like him, I doubt his show will run for more than a season.

Maxwell, as much as you dislike him, as long as Dane Cook is alive, Jeff Dunham will never be the worst - nor will anyone else!

Ant

Written By: limblifter on 11/14/09 at 10:55 am

I saw this bit where he was prerecording some fathers day wishes to his dad.

JD: Happy fathers day dad. Today you get to sit around the house all day watching tv and doing absolutely nothing.

Puppet: Just like every other day.

The crowd goes friggin crazy. And all I can think to myself is that someone is actually PAYING this guy to do crap like this.

Written By: Womble on 11/14/09 at 9:17 pm

He's no Paul Winchell but he is entertaining.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/15/09 at 2:25 am

I like Jeff Dunham. I agree he's not the best ventroloquist, but I guess I don't really care about that too much lol. Any comedian will wear thin if one station keeps showing his stuff. As much as I like him, I doubt his show will run for more than a season.

Maxwell, as much as you dislike him, as long as Dane Cook is alive, Jeff Dunham will never be the worst - nor will anyone else!

Ant

Yeah, Dane is another comic genius we got perpetually running on Comedy Central!

Sucky comics are a dime a zone, but sucky ventriloquists....I guess I feel sad for them because they have to try so hard to suck!
:D

Check for new replies or respond here...