inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Time magazine calls the 00s "decade from hell"

Written By: 435wtr on 11/28/09 at 2:24 am

http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,1942834,00.html  
I think it's great how people are finally honestly stating that the past 10 years has been a train wreck, I also agree that history runs in cycles and hopefully the 2010s which is coming in about 33 days will be much better.

Subject: Re: Time magazine calls the 00s "decade from hell"

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/28/09 at 4:07 am

Obviously this magazine has never research history, how the decades of the two world wars and the Dark Ages?

Written By: 80sfan on 11/28/09 at 7:52 am

Obviously this magazine has never research history, how the decades of the two world wars and the Dark Ages?

I know what you mean. Compared to the late 1910's and early 1940's and the dark ages this decade is heaven!

But I am glad that they admitted that this decade was a piece of crap.

But come on you gotta admit that this decade's pop culture was the worse in history.  Sure the 80's fashion was wack, but at least the movies and music was good!  ;D

Written By: whistledog on 11/28/09 at 4:36 pm

The 00s was about as enjoyable as having a piece of glass shoved up your rectum LOL

Written By: joeman on 11/28/09 at 7:10 pm

I do remember in the early 90's when the 80's was considered the worst decade ever. 

I am not so sure if the 1999-2001 era ever considered the 90's to be lame or not but I do know throughout the 00's, the late 90's was hated. 

Written By: 80sfan on 11/28/09 at 8:37 pm

I do remember in the early 90's when the 80's was considered the worst decade ever. 

I am not so sure if the 1999-2001 era ever considered the 90's to be lame or not but I do know throughout the 00's, the late 90's was hated. 

1 karamel for shocking me. The 80's was considered the worse decade ever in the early 90's?  :D Total shocker!

Written By: batfan2005 on 11/28/09 at 9:27 pm

It may be the worst decade of their lifetime, assuming the writers and publishers were born after WWII. The 1930's were pretty bad too with the Great Depression. I'm not a huge fan of the 2000's either. I only liked certain parts of it, which are 2000, 2004-05, and 2008-09. I'm ready to bring in the new decade, and can't believe its just over a month away!

Written By: Fairee07 on 11/28/09 at 9:34 pm

The first 1.5 years weren't bad in my opinion. I would say 9-11 was the turning point when life/society started going down the tubes.

Written By: joeman on 11/28/09 at 11:05 pm

1 karamel for shocking me. The 80's was considered the worse decade ever in the early 90's?  :D Total shocker!

Yes,  I wasn't a teen then, but my brother was and everyone in his age hated the cheesy 80's and preferred the more real, cynical 90's(grunge, gangsta rap, 90's metal ala Pantera, etc..)

Written By: joeman on 11/28/09 at 11:14 pm

It may be the worst decade of their lifetime, assuming the writers and publishers were born after WWII. The 1930's were pretty bad too with the Great Depression. I'm not a huge fan of the 2000's either. I only liked certain parts of it, which are 2000, 2004-05, and 2008-09. I'm ready to bring in the new decade, and can't believe its just over a month away!

Just wait till we get to the middle of the 2020's, people are going to pretend they never hated the 00's.

I can't wait for the new decade either, though I am on a fence.  I think are up for big surprises, including the year 2012; Whether it happens or not doesn't matter, the amount of it in the media will be a generation divider imo.

Written By: Red Ant on 11/28/09 at 11:20 pm

The 00s was about as enjoyable as having a piece of glass shoved up your rectum LOL

LMAO! or should that be BMAO?

<------------------------------------------

Ant

Written By: Foo Bar on 11/29/09 at 12:18 am

Dark ages was before Time magazine existed, and hey, nobody knew any better back then.

As for the 1910s and the 1940s, those were pretty good decades if you weren't German, Russian, or Japanese.  At least somebody got to win those wars, which mean that they ended, which puts those decades' wars head and shoulders above these decades' war. 

“Have you ever stood and stared at it, marveled at its beauty, its genius? Billions of people just living out their lives, oblivious. Did you know that the first Matrix was designed to be a perfect human world? Where none suffered. Where everyone would be happy. It was a disaster. No one would accept the program. Entire crops were lost. Some believed that we lacked the programming language to describe your perfect world. But I believe that as a species, human beings define their reality through misery and suffering. The perfect world was a dream that your primitive

cerebrum kept trying to wake up from. Which is why the Matrix was redesigned to this, the peak of your civilization. I say your civilization because as soon as we started thinking for you it really became our civilization which is of course what this is all about. Evolution, Morpheus, evolution, like the dinosaur. Look out that window. You had your time. The future is our world, Morpheus. The future is our time.”

The Wachowski Brothers nailed it in 1999, to within two years.  We had our time; but it's all downhill from here.  The 70s were merely a decade that taste forgot.  The 2000s - and specifically, America's unAmerican reaction to 9/11 - marked the decade in which we forgot taste.

Written By: JFK-2004 on 11/29/09 at 1:21 am

I agree that there were times in the past that were worse off...in fact, I would say that this decade wasn't that bad for certain areas of the world.  In the US, we experienced 9/11 and the ensuing political madness, as well as a couple bad natural disasters.  And then the economic crash of 2008 reared its ugly head and incited mass panic and uncertainty.  Another unfortunate aspect of this decade has been corporate dominance of private life and the manner in which behemoth corporations continue to supplant local culture...i.e. Federated Department Stores/Macy's superiority ploy in rebranding local department stores to their New York City-associated name.  I'm not looking down on NYC, but other regions have legitimate culture too and it is belittling when the interests of a certain city claim superiority.  Although, NYC has pretty much always been on top of the US's financial well-being (or lack thereof during recessions and depressions). 

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/29/09 at 1:52 am

Personally, I have no complaints of the 00s decade.

Written By: Silver Power on 11/29/09 at 9:19 am

As for the 1910s and the 1940s, those were pretty good decades if you weren't German, Russian, or Japanese. 

Or Jewish. Or Black. Or a Gypsy. Or Mentally Retarded. Or basically anything except a white Christian. Yeah, I'm pretty sure the 30s through the mid-40s were the decades from hell.

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/29/09 at 9:20 am

Or Jewish. Or Black. Or a Gypsy. Or Mentally Retarded. Or basically anything except a white Christian. Yeah, I'm pretty sure the 30s through the mid-40s were the decades from hell.
...and seen in black and white.

Written By: Silver Power on 11/29/09 at 9:22 am

The 2000s - and specifically, America's unAmerican reaction to 9/11 - marked the decade in which we forgot taste.

I'm pretty sure after 9/11, everyone in America was a little more Patriotic. Everyone had new bumber stickers with the American flag on it, everyone was pledging allegiance to the flag. Sure, Bush was president, but at least he wasn't a complete f**k up at THAT time.

Written By: 80sfan on 11/29/09 at 9:26 am

The worse decade of the 20th century had to be the 30's. After that, I'd say the 70's.

And you couldn't pay me a billion dollars to live in the dark ages!

Written By: Silver Power on 11/29/09 at 9:28 am

The worse decade of the 20th century had to be the 30's. After that, I'd say the 70's.

And you couldn't pay me a billion dollars to live in the dark ages!

I don't think a billion dollars would matter in the dark ages.

I'd say, what with all of the blatant racism, without anyone thinking twice about it, the 1960s and under were pretty hellish decades as well.

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/29/09 at 9:38 am

I don't think a billion dollars would matter in the dark ages.
The Dollar was not created then

Written By: 80sfan on 11/29/09 at 9:40 am

The Dollar was not created then

Oh, sorry people for the misunderstanding! What I meant was if there was a time machine TODAY and someone told me they'd pay me a billion dollars to go back to the Dark Ages I wouldn't do it. Heck no I wouldn't go back!

Written By: 80sfan on 11/29/09 at 9:42 am

And of course come back to 2009 in my time machine I wouldn't do it.

Written By: Silver Power on 11/29/09 at 10:39 am

And of course come back to 2009 in my time machine I wouldn't do it.

...I probably would, depending on the length of the stay. For a day, sure, for a week, possibly, but not anymore than a week.

Written By: joeman on 11/29/09 at 10:59 am

I'm pretty sure after 9/11, everyone in America was a little more Patriotic. Everyone had new bumber stickers with the American flag on it, everyone was pledging allegiance to the flag. Sure, Bush was president, but at least he wasn't a complete f**k up at THAT time.

People were patriotic and religious for like a month.  Everybody was afraid to offend religion, especially Islam, and News reporters trying to explain that religion in general isn't evil.

Clint Eastwood made a mention generation of people who saw Pearl Harbor still remembers it and has a lot of significance in their lives, while American's in general just forgot about 9/11 after two years of the actual event.

Bush wasn't univerally hated until he decided to go after Iraq.  Everyone was all supportive of America taking down Afghanistan.

Written By: ninny on 11/29/09 at 11:11 am

Nearly every decade has something bad about them, the 20's had the depression,the 30's & 40's had World War II, the 50's had the Korean War & the Suez Crisis. the 60's had Vietnam & racial tension, the 70's there was a recession, the 80's had widespread famine in Africa, the 90's had the Gulf War. Now we are up to the 00's which we all know had 9/11.

Written By: yelimsexa on 11/30/09 at 7:51 am

The Dow Jones, S&P 500, and Nasdaq will all finish DOWN for the decade (unless if we get a BIG Santa Claus rally) for the first time since the '30s. (It needs to be up almost 1200 points in the final month, or more than 50 points per day to do so.) The '00s greed makes '80s greed look rather tame in comparison; it's all about making as much as possible in the shortest amount of time. New technology is also slashing jobs at the expense of old technology (CDs, phone operators, music/video stores.)

Probably sometime in the 2020s everybody will proably "rose tint" this decade like they did for the '70s in the '90s and sadly give a false impression; focusing on the bling/autotune/dance music/fashions as opposed to the actual problems/crap of the decade, and I won't enjoy it.

Written By: 80sfan on 11/30/09 at 9:48 am

The Dow Jones, S&P 500, and Nasdaq will all finish DOWN for the decade (unless if we get a BIG Santa Claus rally) for the first time since the '30s. (It needs to be up almost 1200 points in the final month, or more than 50 points per day to do so.) The '00s greed makes '80s greed look rather tame in comparison; it's all about making as much as possible in the shortest amount of time. New technology is also slashing jobs at the expense of old technology (CDs, phone operators, music/video stores.)

Probably sometime in the 2020s everybody will proably "rose tint" this decade like they did for the '70s in the '90s and sadly give a false impression; focusing on the bling/autotune/dance music/fashions as opposed to the actual problems/crap of the decade, and I won't enjoy it.

Were you old enough to remember the 70's? Was it really that bad?

Written By: MrCleveland on 11/30/09 at 12:37 pm

I can't agree any more, especially in the World of Entertainment!

2000-Survivor sparks the Reality Show.
2001-We say goodbye to The Quiet Beatle.
2002-Britney Spears does it again!
2003-Dixie Chicks become ashamed about Bush being a Texan (so do others).
2004-Nipplegate-'nuff said.
2005-I call this year the year of the Remake.
2006-Miley Cyrus makes it big. Kids cheer, the rest puke!
2007-Beginning of the Writers Strike and more sellouts on TV Occur!
2008-Kissing Girls is #1 for the year, and some of us hated it!
2009-With the death of the King of Pop...we find that the decade has sold out!

IMO-The 2000's was the Decade of Selling Out. TV Stations sold out for Reality Shows and Identity Crisis. Music sold out by just playing Rap and Pop Music. Movies sold out with Remakes and Sequels!

I wish that in the entertainment world, the 2010's go back to their roots!

Written By: Silver Power on 11/30/09 at 12:41 pm

2000-Survivor sparks the Reality Show.

..I thought 'The Real World' sparked the reality show?

Written By: 80sfan on 11/30/09 at 2:00 pm

..I thought 'The Real World' sparked the reality show?

The Real World came out in 1992, but it wasnt' until 2000 with Survivor that reality tv exploded!

Written By: Davester on 11/30/09 at 4:54 pm

Someone mentioned awhile back, in another thread, that reality shows have been around for a long time - Truth or Consequences and Candid Camera come to mind...

COPS and it's myriad spin-offs, &etc...

Check for new replies or respond here...