inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Meredith Baxter Birney Switches Teams

Written By: LyricBoy on 12/02/09 at 7:59 am

Today TMZ reports that Meredith Baxter Birney, who starred as the mother on the TV series Family Ties, has "come out" as a lesbian after The National Enquirer ran a story about her and a gal pal attending an all-lesbian boat cruise.

Meredith, who has been married three times and has five children, went on NBC's Today Show and confirmed the story.

Subject: Re: Meredith Baxter Birnie Switches Teams

Written By: Jessica on 12/02/09 at 8:28 am

Ha.  I totally knew it.

Written By: whistledog on 12/02/09 at 3:47 pm

You spelt her last name wrong :P

I wonder what her ex-husband David Birney thinks of all this?  He was saving lives on 'St. Elsewhere'.  Now someone may have to save his life from the initial shock of realizing he was married to a Lezbo lol

Written By: LyricBoy on 12/02/09 at 4:13 pm

Fixed.

Although in her prime, some people referred to her as Meredith Raxster Birney.  ;D

Subject: Re: Meredith Baxter Birney Switches Teams

Written By: whistledog on 12/02/09 at 6:13 pm

Fixed.

Although in her prime, some people referred to her as Meredith Raxster Birney.  ;D

LOL

In some of those Family Ties episodes, watching her move, I had a few dirty thoughts ;D

Written By: Frank on 12/02/09 at 6:16 pm

Birney loves Bridget?  ;)

Written By: LyricBoy on 12/03/09 at 7:28 am

Birney loves Bridget?  ;)

Perhaps Bridget loves Gidget.  :o

Written By: ninny on 12/03/09 at 7:50 am

Wow

I wonder what her ex-husband David Birney thinks of all this?  He was saving lives on 'St. Elsewhere'.  Now someone may have to save his life from the initial shock of realizing he was married to a Lezbo lol

David can join Lou Diamond Phillips and console each other

Written By: danootaandme on 12/03/09 at 8:56 am

He might have known.  A lot of celeb marriagess are coverups anyway.  Matthew Broderick and Sarah Jessica come to mind

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/03/09 at 12:14 pm

Do we really care?

Cat

Written By: Ashkicksass on 12/03/09 at 12:15 pm

He might have known.  A lot of celeb marriagess are coverups anyway.   Matthew Broderick and Sarah Jessica come to mind

Wait...which one of them do you think is gay?  Matthew?

Written By: Ashkicksass on 12/03/09 at 12:16 pm

I've always thought Meredith was quite attractive.  She's definitely a great addition to the lesbian team!  ;D

Written By: LyricBoy on 12/03/09 at 4:21 pm

Do we really care?

Cat

Apparently NBC did, since they had her on the Today show to make the big announcement.

Maybe they're gonna parlay this into some sort of reality show? ???

Written By: whistledog on 12/03/09 at 5:02 pm

They could call the show "From Keaton to Lesbian:  The Meredith Baxter Show"

Written By: LyricBoy on 12/03/09 at 5:16 pm

I wonder what Betty Broderick thinks? ???

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/04/09 at 10:48 am

Apparently NBC did, since they had her on the Today show to make the big announcement.

Maybe they're gonna parlay this into some sort of reality show? ???

Slow news day?

BTW, in case no one else thought about this, the two who played the daughters on the show Family in the 70s, are now both out of the closet-Meredith & Kristy McNickel.

Cat

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/04/09 at 11:19 am

Wait...which one of them do you think is gay?  Matthew?

Of course.

That's why I'm in favor of greater acceptance of sexual orientations and of gay marriage so nobody has to pretend to be something she's not for 30 years.
::)

Written By: whistledog on 12/04/09 at 11:21 am

Slow news day?

BTW, in case no one else thought about this, the two who played the daughters on the show Family in the 70s, are now both out of the closet-Meredith & Kristy McNickel.

Cat

I didn't know Kristy McNichol was a lezbo.  I had such a crush on her back in her 'Empty Nest' days

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/04/09 at 11:35 am

I didn't know Kristy McNichol was a lezbo.  I had such a crush on her back in her 'Empty Nest' days

Then here you go.  There's a couple of pictures of Meredith here too.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6fbv2QrryI

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/04/09 at 11:40 am

When she was on Family, I wanted to BE her.  :D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: danootaandme on 12/04/09 at 12:43 pm

Slow news day?

Cat

Kristy was on "Family"  you are thinking of Tina Yothers, the youngest daughter in the show.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/04/09 at 1:04 pm

Slow news day?

Cat

Kristy was on "Family"  you are thinking of Tina Yothers, the youngest daughter in the show.

That's what I said.

Actually, when I read the first post in this thread, I thought LB said "Family" and I was about to say that she played the daughter not the mother and then I reread it and saw that it said "Family TIES". I can see how it can get confusing.

Cat

Written By: ninny on 12/04/09 at 1:08 pm

There was rumors of that back in the 70's.

Written By: MrCleveland on 12/04/09 at 1:10 pm

I thought Baxter would've liked Michael Gross.

That would've been an interesting name-Meridith Baxter-Gross.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 12/04/09 at 1:21 pm

Kind of figured that she hitting for the other team.

;D

Written By: LyricBoy on 12/04/09 at 4:43 pm

[quote author=CatwomanofV link=topic=39068.msg2270696#msg2270696 date=1259945332

Cat

Maybe they ought to get together...

Written By: Ashkicksass on 12/05/09 at 8:22 pm

So did I!  ;D

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 12/06/09 at 8:34 pm

I seem to recall reading where it was a standard practice to set gay and lesbian actors up on dates to make it look like they were straight.  Tab Hunter is a good example of that, he didn't come out until he was in his 60's.  There are a lot of closet cases in Hollywood, it seems now they're becoming comfortable with who they are.

Written By: 80sfan on 12/06/09 at 8:43 pm

I seem to recall reading where it was a standard practice to set gay and lesbian actors up on dates to make it look like they were straight.  Tab Hunter is a good example of that, he didn't come out until he was in his 60's.  There are a lot of closet cases in Hollywood, it seems now they're becoming comfortable with who they are.

There's a lot of closet cases in this world... period. 

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/07/09 at 12:16 am

The first place I saw Tab Hunter was in John Waters' "Polyester" makin' whoopee with Divine, sooooo.....
;)

Written By: Dagwood on 12/07/09 at 10:05 am

Rock Hudson was another one.  Didn't he actually get married?

Written By: No Longer Boomer on 12/07/09 at 10:09 am

Show business tends to attract narcissistic types, many of whom, it seems, are also homosexual.

Written By: ninny on 12/07/09 at 10:14 am

Yes for 3 years. Robert Reed (Mike Brady) was another who was married and had a child who came out late in life.

Written By: No Longer Boomer on 12/07/09 at 10:16 am

Yes for 3 years. Robert Reed (Mike Brady) was another who was married and had a child who came out late in life.

I am curious if there is some correlation between the narcissistic personality and homosexuality.

Written By: Frank on 12/07/09 at 10:46 am

I am curious if there is some correlation between the narcissistic personality and homosexuality.

I am not a homosexsual, but if I were I would find this post quiet offensive.

Written By: No Longer Boomer on 12/07/09 at 10:51 am

I am not a homosexsual, but if I were I would find this post quiet offensive.

Or even noisy offensive.

And note I said "I am curious if...." which is not saying "There is".

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/07/09 at 11:03 am

I grew up in theatre and at that time, even if gays weren't quite accepted into society, they were accepted in the theatre world. I remember one time when I was doing summer stock, the head of the scenery department invited his girlfriend and the two of them were really going at it in the parking lot.  :o :o :o  Besides the comments of "Get a room," the other comments were from one person to the other, "I thought he was gay." "Yeah, so did I."

Cat

Written By: Tam on 12/07/09 at 11:25 am

Show business tends to attract narcissistic types, many of whom, it seems, are also homosexual.

Notice how no one replied to you?

So with the no reply, you felt the need to change up what you said to try and get the attention you are so badly craving.
Guess what? It worked!

You have now gotten the full attention of a Moderator of this forum.
Might I direct you to the rules of the forum. Particularly rules number  1 and 2, 4 and 5.
http://www.inthe00s.com/agreement.shtml

Written By: LyricBoy on 12/07/09 at 11:26 am

I grew up in theatre and at that time, even if gays weren't quite accepted into society, they were accepted in the theatre world.

Absolutely.  34 years ago when I was in college, pretty much every guy in the Theatre Club was homosexual.  Although interestingly, the gals in Theatre tended to be more along the lines of extremely promiscuous heterosexuals.  Sadly, quite a few of the guys ended up dead from AIDS as this was during the age of Studio 54, "anything goes", bathhouses with free Crisco and the whole bit.

I imagine today the makeup of the Theatre Club is likely the same, but people likely are considerably more careful about their practices.

Back then, my Mom worked on campus, and as a Student Affairs official, she had some responsibility for the Theatre Club members.  As I recall at the time she neve believed me about the gay members (she has always had zero gaydar).  But once they started dropping from AIDS, she told me "You know, LyricBoy, I always thought you were messing with me back then.  But I guess you were right!".

The leader of the group was a very nice man, who was as effeminate as could be, but he was indeed a hetero with a wife and many children.  Or... maybe he was like Meredith? ???

Written By: No Longer Boomer on 12/07/09 at 11:27 am

So with the no reply, you felt the need to change up what you said to try and get the attention you are so badly craving.
Guess what? It worked!

Might I direct you to the rules of the forum. Particularly rules number  1 and 2, 4 and 5.

And what am I guilty of? The topic is on homosexuals in a theatrical setting.

Written By: Tam on 12/07/09 at 11:30 am

And what am I guilty of? The topic is on homosexuals in a theatrical setting.

Do you know if there are 'homosexuals' on our forum?
Do you realize that your single statement could and probably will fire up said people?
Do you even realize how offensive you are with the one single statement?

Written By: LyricBoy on 12/07/09 at 11:32 am

Guess what? It worked!

Might I direct you to the rules of the forum. Particularly rules number  1 and 2, 4 and 5.

I might phrase boomer's posts a different way.

As per my prior post, I have noticed that indeed in various acting clubs at schools I attended, there was a WAY HIGHER percentage of gay men in them than what I presume is in the general population, and the gays in theatre club tended to be, let's say, rather "flamboyant" with their gayness.  They weren't closet cases, for sure.

In high school we had 3 flamboyant gay guys and every last one of them was in Theatre Club.  (And I imagine there were quite a few closet cases who were NOT in theatre).

There is some relationship between acting and flamboyant gays, not sure what the link is.  My thought is that the "flamboyant" ones are indeed narcissists (especially since their behaviour seems calculated to draw attention to themselves, as opposed to most gays who otherwise appear unremarkable).  And there already is a well established link between narccissism and the acting profession.

Written By: No Longer Boomer on 12/07/09 at 11:34 am

I might phrase boomer's posts a different way.

As per my prior post, I have noticed that indeed in various acting clubs at schools I attended, there was a WAY HIGHER percentage of gay men in them than what I presume is in the general population, and the gays in theatre club tended to be, let's say, rather "flamboyant" with their gayness.  They weren't closet cases, for sure.

In high school we had 3 flamboyant gay guys and every last one of them was in Theatre Club.  (And I imagine there were quite a few closet cases who were NOT in theatre).

There is some relationship between acting and flamboyant gays, not sure what the link is.  My thought is that the "flamboyant" ones are indeed narcissists (especially since their behaviour seems calculated to draw attention to themselves, as opposed to most gays who otherwise appear unremarkable).  And there already is a well established link between narccissism and the acting profession.

So, more or less...yes?

Written By: No Longer Boomer on 12/07/09 at 11:55 am

Do you know if there are 'homosexuals' on our forum?
Do you realize that your single statement could and probably will fire up said people?
Do you even realize how offensive you are with the one single statement?

I didn't start the thread. Your remarks, if relevant, should be directed to that person. Nothing I have said is "offensive". It relates to the topic.

Written By: Dagwood on 12/07/09 at 12:14 pm

Thanks, I thought so but was not positive.  :)

Written By: MrCleveland on 12/07/09 at 3:07 pm

Elton John was one of them too...

He married Renate Blauel in 1984 and the relationship lasted 4 years.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/09/09 at 1:08 am

Elton John was one of them too...

He married Renate Blauel in 1984 and the relationship lasted 4 years.

Hence, "I Don't Want to Go On With You Like That" from 1988!
???

Check for new replies or respond here...