inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: As The World Turns canceled after 50+ years

Written By: ChuckyG on 12/08/09 at 2:21 pm

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE5B74MX20091208?type=entertainmentNews

The show, the last remaining daytime drama made by a Procter & Gamble media unit that coined the term "soap opera", will air its final episode in September 2010.

Subject: Re: As The World Turns canceled after 50+ years

Written By: nally on 12/08/09 at 2:23 pm

Another long-running soap opera bites the dust, eh? I wonder which one will be next... ???

I also wonder what will take ATWT's place

Written By: Henk on 12/08/09 at 4:18 pm

Oh no! :o How sad...

I used to watch it religiously when I had the time, and so did my brother.

I'll try and look at the bright side: in Holland, we're about 18 months behind...

Written By: 80sTrivMeister on 12/08/09 at 5:53 pm

I guess it's official... the American daytime drama is dead and gone... :(

Written By: coqueta83 on 12/08/09 at 8:24 pm

In a way I saw this one coming, but its still sad.  :(  :(

Written By: LyricBoy on 12/08/09 at 10:04 pm

This sux.  :\'(

As The Stomach Turns was/is a classic...

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/09/09 at 12:36 am

This sux.   :\'(

As The Stomach Turns was/is a classic...

You used to read Mad magazine too, huh?
;)

The age of the afternoon soap is coming to a close.  Western culture and the lives of its inhabitants has simply outpaced and outmoded the nature of the classic soap opera. 

Now, don't get depressed, there will always be cheap, trashy TV shows in the afternoon...even after Oprah goes off the air!
:)

Written By: MrCleveland on 12/09/09 at 1:00 pm

Another long-running soap opera bites the dust, eh? I wonder which one will be next... ???

My guess...

Days of Our Lives. NBC will shed all of its Soap Operas and have some Talk Show take its place.

Written By: whistledog on 12/09/09 at 4:03 pm

Daytime Talk Shows, most likely.  Anyone who you would least likely think to get a talk show, will probably get a talk show lol

Written By: Henk on 12/09/09 at 4:05 pm

Daytime Talk Shows, most likely.  Anyone who you would least likely think to get a talk show, will probably get a talk show lol

So why has no-one offered me one yet?  ::)

Written By: whistledog on 12/09/09 at 4:13 pm

So why has no-one offered me one yet?  ::)

Because you aren't a B-List celebrity :D

Written By: Henk on 12/09/09 at 4:21 pm

Because you aren't a B-List celebrity :D

Oh! Good one! ;D

Written By: LyricBoy on 12/09/09 at 7:18 pm

You used to read Mad magazine too, huh?
;)

Yes, I piddled away a good portion of my younger years reading my brothers' Mad magazines and its various spoofs, including "As the stomach turns", and a "My Three Sons" spoof featuring veteran actor Fred McMoron.  ;D ;D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/10/09 at 2:03 pm

Yes, I piddled away a good portion of my younger years reading my brothers' Mad magazines and its various spoofs, including "As the stomach turns", and a "My Three Sons" spoof featuring veteran actor Fred McMoron.   ;D ;D

I even had the books, like Al Jafee's Snappy Answers to Stupid Questions!
Q: Did you catch that fish?
A: No, I talked him into giving himself up.
A: No, I was sitting here minding my own business when the crazy thing jumped into my pail.
A: No, it's a plastic model to get people like you to start fascinating conversations.

Q: (from a woman just pulled over by a police officer) Did I do something wrong, officer?
A: No, today we're giving tickets out for doing things right.
A: No, I just got tired of lugging around these heavy summonses so I decided to give some of them away.
A: No, I'm giving a ticket to this crazy street because it's going the wrong way.

Q: (from a waiter, to a husband and wife) Table for how many?
A: A hundred and twelve -- we like to change seats every few minutes.
A: One -- my wife will sit on my shoulders.
A: I don't know -- I can't count that high, either.

But we're off topic.  I never had any use for soaps.  My mother and sister used to watch and "All My Children" and "General Horsepiddle" and fill each other in on the goings-on.  I was like, you know, those people are characters on a TV show, as in NOT REAL.  My family kinda resembles "Dark Shadows" nowadays!
::)

Written By: Doc Brown on 12/12/09 at 9:52 pm

I even had the books, like Al Jafee's Snappy Answers to Stupid Questions!
Q: Did you catch that fish?
A: No, I talked him into giving himself up.
A: No, I was sitting here minding my own business when the crazy thing jumped into my pail.
A: No, it's a plastic model to get people like you to start fascinating conversations.

Q: (from a woman just pulled over by a police officer) Did I do something wrong, officer?
A: No, today we're giving tickets out for doing things right.
A: No, I just got tired of lugging around these heavy summonses so I decided to give some of them away.
A: No, I'm giving a ticket to this crazy street because it's going the wrong way.

Q: (from a waiter, to a husband and wife) Table for how many?
A: A hundred and twelve -- we like to change seats every few minutes.
A: One -- my wife will sit on my shoulders.
A: I don't know -- I can't count that high, either

Kinda wandering in to Here's Your Sign territory, isn't he?

Written By: 80sTrivMeister on 12/20/09 at 7:14 am

They simply have to bring Larry Bryggman back as John Dixon! Pair him up with Lucinda (the beyond-incredible Elizabeth Hubbard) again and let some final sparks fly! I also hope John & Kim's son Andy makes an appearance with Scott DeFreitas in the role. It would be nice to see Lisa find happiness at last in marriage! I hope they give Barbara a happy ending,too... she's suffered long enough! A final tribute to Hal Munson would be in order as well. The very last scene should focus on Nancy, of course, provided Helen Wagner's health holds out for the very end, Lord willing.  It's going to be a very emotional final episode, that much is for certain... :(

Written By: LyricBoy on 12/20/09 at 7:54 am

I wonder if one of the cable channels might pick the show up? ???

Written By: 80sTrivMeister on 01/03/10 at 8:41 am

I was at the dentist the other day and there was a copy of one of those supermarket tabloids in the office, which I picked up out of boredom. There was an article in the magazine about how the producers of ATWT had to bring in counselors to help longtime cast members with their grief at losing the show. The article mentioned Helen Wagner (Nancy) as well as Don Hastings (Bob) and Eileen Fulton (Lisa) as taking the cancellation the hardest. Granted, the news came from a tabloid, but I wouldn't doubt that cast members who have been with the show almost from the beginning (and from Day One as in the case of Helen Wagner) would be emotionally devastated at the cancellation of the show... :(

Written By: ninny on 01/03/10 at 10:17 am

Sad to see it go, I never was much of a daytime soap fan, but this is one of my mother in-laws favorite soaps.

Check for new replies or respond here...