inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Anyone else really happy this year/decade is ending?

Written By: Ryan112390 on 12/08/09 at 8:53 pm

This decade, most specifically this year, has been hell for me. I don't know about any of you, but I will be extremely happy, grateful and (hopefully not overly) optimistic when the calender says January 1st 2010. I know things don't change over night but still..It will be nice to be out of the 00s and amazing to be out of this hell year.

Anyone else had a really bad 2009 or 00s in general and are happy that we're gonna be in a new decade?

Subject: Re: Anyone else really happy this year/decade is ending?

Written By: Dagwood on 12/08/09 at 10:27 pm

For me the last 3 years have sucked big time.  I can't wait for the new year.

Written By: 80sfan on 12/09/09 at 12:16 am

This decade, most specifically this year, has been hell for me. I don't know about any of you, but I will be extremely happy, grateful and (hopefully not overly) optimistic when the calender says January 1st 2010. I know things don't change over night but still..It will be nice to be out of the 00s and amazing to be out of this hell year.

Anyone else had a really bad 2009 or 00s in general and are happy that we're gonna be in a new decade?

This decade had a very dark and negative aura about it. I can't explain it. Even though things didn't really become bad until 9/11, I could feel things changing about 1999.

And yes, like you I had a horrible 2009. This decade also sucked for me. I think a lot of people had a bad decade. There was something in the air.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/09/09 at 12:20 am

F*ck no!

Written By: 435wtr on 12/09/09 at 1:11 am

I'm happy it's ending too, something about this decade feels really old and exhausted, but I must say this year is ten times better than 08, I'm excited for the 2010s though, its always crazy to know that in 5 years or so a lot of things right now will look old and ridiculous

Written By: Ryan112390 on 12/09/09 at 2:51 am

For me the last 3 years have sucked big time.  I can't wait for the new year.

For me 2006-June 2007, in retrospect, were the high point of this decade. While I wasn't too happy then, that period was a pretty peaceful, pretty active period--I was out and about, active, with quite a few girl friends in that period. It was fun, it was happy. The last two years, I can point it exactly from June of 2007 on, have been hellish; dark, depressing, and simply horrible. I'm only 19, but I feel that in the darkness of the past two years I lost a great deal of my youth and carelessness. 2009 has literally been like a nightmare, at least for me. I literally even found my first gray hair this year. No lie.

Written By: Ryan112390 on 12/09/09 at 3:04 am

This decade had a very dark and negative aura about it. I can't explain it. Even though things didn't really become bad until 9/11, I could feel things changing about 1999.

And yes, like you I had a horrible 2009. This decade also sucked for me. I think a lot of people had a bad decade. There was something in the air.

There definately was something in the air. The 90's, for me and my family, while dark at SOME points, were relatively peaceful, prosperous years. Happy years. Years of peace and plenty. Our family was active, functional and we generally had a lot of fun, going on trips, shaking and moving, etc.  A lot of it had to do with the fact that for most of the 90s (ending around 1998 or 1999, so about the same time you felt things changing too) my dad was relatively sober, for literally most of the decade. Beginning in 1999, my dad began to lose his sobriety, and just after 9/11, lost it completely, and has spent most of the decade stoned (on anti-depressents) (he is not nice in this stat; he yells, screams, calls names, villifies you, sometimes even gets violent). He has ruined many holidays or important dates/ Added to that we found out my mom had Hepatitis C in 2004 (she worked as a nurse from the 70s to the 90s and got stuck with a needle by a patient sometime in the early 90s). She got treatment for it, but it only made it worse; she has slowly deteriated ever since. All the propserity and peace of the 90s dissolved into hardship and darkness beginning around 1999, but wasn't really present until 2001.

But 2007-2009, especially 2009, have been horrible. My girlfriend dumped me in June 2007, then stalked me for a year; My sister's son (who is my age) began to cause trouble, becoming belligerent, violent, loud, screaming in early '08; he moved out. Her and her husband's marriage have since quickly deteriorated to the point of something near mutual hatred. She lost her job of 6 years this year unfairly, and all her kids aren't doing too well in school. She's been depressed. I've battled deep depression and anxiety all year, as well as medical problems. Other family members have died or fallen ill. 3 of my pets died within 3 months of each other, including my dog at age 14. It's been 2 years..

Written By: 80sfan on 12/09/09 at 3:35 am

There definately was something in the air. The 90's, for me and my family, while dark at SOME points, were relatively peaceful, prosperous years. Happy years. Years of peace and plenty. Our family was active, functional and we generally had a lot of fun, going on trips, shaking and moving, etc.  A lot of it had to do with the fact that for most of the 90s (ending around 1998 or 1999, so about the same time you felt things changing too) my dad was relatively sober, for literally most of the decade. Beginning in 1999, my dad began to lose his sobriety, and just after 9/11, lost it completely, and has spent most of the decade stoned (on anti-depressents) (he is not nice in this stat; he yells, screams, calls names, villifies you, sometimes even gets violent). He has ruined many holidays or important dates/ Added to that we found out my mom had Hepatitis C in 2004 (she worked as a nurse from the 70s to the 90s and got stuck with a needle by a patient sometime in the early 90s). She got treatment for it, but it only made it worse; she has slowly deteriated ever since. All the propserity and peace of the 90s dissolved into hardship and darkness beginning around 1999, but wasn't really present until 2001.

But 2007-2009, especially 2009, have been horrible. My girlfriend dumped me in June 2007, then stalked me for a year; My sister's son (who is my age) began to cause trouble, becoming belligerent, violent, loud, screaming in early '08; he moved out. Her and her husband's marriage have since quickly deteriorated to the point of something near mutual hatred. She lost her job of 6 years this year unfairly, and all her kids aren't doing too well in school. She's been depressed. I've battled deep depression and anxiety all year, as well as medical problems. Other family members have died or fallen ill. 3 of my pets died within 3 months of each other, including my dog at age 14. It's been 2 years..

I am happy that I am not alone about 1999 being kinda a "preview" of the 2000's. I've always said this and some people don't agree with me.

2009 is nothing like a preview. It seems like an extension of 2008.

Written By: 80sfan on 12/09/09 at 3:40 am

Oh, and I am so sorry about your family and personal life. I wish things will get better for you. That's horrible how some of your family members have died or fallen ill.

I sent 1 karamel to you for good luck and a better decade starting next year.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 12/09/09 at 8:33 am

Yes, I will be really happy, when it's all over.

Written By: Ryan112390 on 12/09/09 at 1:22 pm

I am happy that I am not alone about 1999 being kinda a "preview" of the 2000's. I've always said this and some people don't agree with me.

2009 is nothing like a preview. It seems like an extension of 2008.

Yeah it seems like pop culture has grown kind of stagnant. That is why I'm unsure about the 2010s--They will go either one of two ways--
Either they will be like the 90s, and this recession both financial and cultural will rescind (there was a recession from 1990-1993 but it wasn't as severe as this one) or we will have a rehash of the unemployment, tension and general malaise of the 70s.

Written By: Dax Griffin on 12/09/09 at 2:32 pm

For me the good years were 2000, 2001 (Jan-Aug), 2003 and 2004.
As I tend to forget bad things (and years) I won't remember 2005-2009. These years were bad for me. My social life was ruined.
I already don't remember anything from 2005-2008, so I'll forget 2009 as well.
I hope that the 2010's will be a lot better for me.

Written By: batfan2005 on 12/09/09 at 7:25 pm

For me the good years were 2000, 2004, 2005, and 2008. Overall though, this decade will probably leave more bad memories than good ones. I liked the 90's a lot better, and I'm hoping the 2010's Obama era would be better as well.

Written By: whistledog on 12/09/09 at 9:24 pm

As long as I have my health, a roof over my head, a job , etc ... I could care less what decade I am in.  With each passing decade, it never gets any better, so I learn to adjust.

Written By: Dagwood on 12/09/09 at 10:21 pm

Good point. 

Written By: joeman on 12/10/09 at 11:11 am

Give me till 2020 and I would want the 2000's to come back lol.  I am sick and tired of this decade, but the worst parts come from 2006/07-2009 era.  I didn't like the 2003-2006 either but I could live well with a good economy.  I do like 2000-2002 though, but I was still a kid. :)

Written By: Hendrix47 on 12/13/09 at 2:09 am

You know, back in the day when they were around, I always thought the emo subculture was terrible, but looking back, I kind of think it's the perfect subculture for that era. There was a lot to be depressed about. In the future, emo kids will probably be juxtaposed against the horrible events of the era (War, 9/11, Katrina), and it will look reasonable.

Written By: MrCleveland on 12/13/09 at 12:38 pm

Yes and Yes.

The year of Hell is almost over and all I have to say about this year and decade...

Go to Hell since that's what you gave me!

Written By: 80sfan on 12/13/09 at 5:31 pm

If the 80's was the decade that forgot fashion, the 00's will be remembered as the decade that forgot music!  ;D

Written By: batfan2005 on 12/14/09 at 2:07 am

2009 wasn't particularly bad for me. Not as good as 2008, but certainly not one of my worst years. Pop-culture wise, with music and movies, it actually has been decent.

Written By: sonikuu on 12/15/09 at 12:53 am

The 00s encapsulated my teen years and a fair portion of my college years, so it will feel weird for the decade to end.  To be honest, my personal life over the past couple of years has been pretty decent.  My family and I have managed to avoid the recession (dad took a pay cut for about a year, but now he's back to full pay, mom actually found a job that makes her slightly more money, and I stayed at the same job I did in 2008) so that helped out a good deal.  The worst years for me were late 2001 to 2003.  My early teen years sucked big time and the whole post-9/11 culture of fear didn't help either.

2010 is the year that I plan on studying abroad in a foreign country during the year's second half (may get pushed to 2011, but I'm shooting for 2010 with all my heart).  That will make it a most interesting year.  As for the decade itself...well, let's just say I'm kind of unsure about that.  It'll be the decade I really become an adult (graduate from college, get a real career, likely marry, etc.) so it'll be an eventful decade.  Whether it is a positive one as a whole for the country is something I'm not so sure about.

Written By: danootaandme on 12/15/09 at 7:24 am

You have to be careful wishing away your days

Written By: Christie Marie M on 12/25/09 at 8:09 am

In a way, yes! 2009 could be better if I had a chance of employment and if my parents aren't always on my back.

Written By: 90steen on 12/26/09 at 9:57 pm

No, I'm not happy. Since this was the decade I spent my 20's (Turned 20 January 15, 2000) I'm not looking forward to my thirties.  8-P

It wasn't as bad for me as it was for some people. 2000 up to the first few months of 2003 were a lot of fun now that I look back.

Written By: Christie Marie M on 12/26/09 at 10:22 pm

Know something, I'm not looking forward to my thirties, either. I'm still not in a hurry to grow up. I will never outgrow video games and Nick Shows. This year, I expected to enjoyed my life before going out of my twenties, but unfortuately, I'm still living at home while me and my bro are being yelled at by our mom like a bunch of schoolchildren. I can never out grow Hello Kitty or anime. If I could rewind time, I would go back to my high school years. Not only would I would enjoy my teen years again, I would be given the second chance to correct every mistake I made in the past and stand up to modern day bullies.

Written By: joeman on 12/27/09 at 12:23 am

I dunno, it seems society is more lenient about perceptions of one's age in relation to whatever is considered "sophistication" these days.  I know a former co-worker, turned 38 a couple of weeks ago, and the man still goes to clubs and acts if he was still in his 20's. No one really blinks an eye or even considers it weird.

Written By: 435wtr on 12/27/09 at 1:58 am

I turn 20 in October 2010, so the next decade should be an interesting one for me !

Written By: Kyle 230 on 01/14/10 at 10:43 am

Give me till 2020 and I would want the 2000's to come back lol.  I am sick and tired of this decade, but the worst parts come from 2006/07-2009 era.  I didn't like the 2003-2006 either but I could live well with a good economy.  I do like 2000-2002 though, but I was still a kid. :)

The 2000s are more likely to come back maybe in the '30s and the '40s...long time from now.  The 2000s had a lot of early '70s throwbacks, especially with the late 2000s for the adults and more like an '80s like comeback for alternative teens, not mainstream, alternative.  The grunge throwback is more emo-scene type thing and plaid and flannel has been around since 2004, at least in my town.  The '10s will have a more '80s throwback...late '80s with perms, side ponytail, leggings, that fluffy Miami Vice look.

Written By: bchris02 on 01/27/10 at 10:50 pm

This decade has had its ups and downs but overall, especially the second half, sucked big time.  Life was hell from 1999-2002 as I was in middle school and wasn't quite the most liked kid there to say the least.  High school was much better and to this day I consider 2003-04 to be some of the best years of my life.  Then came college, which I was blessed to get a full scholarship but unfortunately it was to a horrible school that looks no better on a resume than a high school diploma.   I was really depressed in 2007 as my social life took a severe downturn and I had absolutely no friends (and I was a college student...I should have been partying every night!).  I got a break in 2008 as I finished school, moved away from my podunk town, got a very respectable job, and my social life finally started to improve, but my life was full of fear over the state of the economy and the future of my job, which was very vulnerable if there was to be a recession.  I will say it all came crashing down in November of 2008 when I was laid off.  Had to move back in with my parents for a couple months, lost my social life.  Fortunately, I quickly found another job though I was making half as much as I did when I was just out of college.  2009 was when the real hell started.  In March I started having personal issues that depressed me to the core, and my parents disowned me when they found out in August and I got fired in September, and was forced to relocate across the country to live with an old friend from high school.  Lets just say 2009 has been a traumatizing ride that will have psychological effects on me for years to come.  I hope 2010 is the dawn of a better day.

And it is my firm opinion that the cultural '00s started in 1999 with the columbine shootings.

Written By: bchris02 on 05/27/17 at 1:50 pm

This decade has had its ups and downs but overall, especially the second half, sucked big time.  Life was hell from 1999-2002 as I was in middle school and wasn't quite the most liked kid there to say the least.  High school was much better and to this day I consider 2003-04 to be some of the best years of my life.  Then came college, which I was blessed to get a full scholarship but unfortunately it was to a horrible school that looks no better on a resume than a high school diploma.  I was really depressed in 2007 as my social life took a severe downturn and I had absolutely no friends (and I was a college student...I should have been partying every night!).  I got a break in 2008 as I finished school, moved away from my podunk town, got a very respectable job, and my social life finally started to improve, but my life was full of fear over the state of the economy and the future of my job, which was very vulnerable if there was to be a recession.  I will say it all came crashing down in November of 2008 when I was laid off.  Had to move back in with my parents for a couple months, lost my social life.  Fortunately, I quickly found another job though I was making half as much as I did when I was just out of college.  2009 was when the real hell started.  In March I started having personal issues that depressed me to the core, and my parents disowned me when they found out in August and I got fired in September, and was forced to relocate across the country to live with an old friend from high school.  Lets just say 2009 has been a traumatizing ride that will have psychological effects on me for years to come.  I hope 2010 is the dawn of a better day.

And it is my firm opinion that the cultural '00s started in 1999 with the columbine shootings.

Was going back and reading these old posts.  Interesting how I perceived 2009 back then to how I perceive it now.  2009 was a year that I went through the fire but it also brought about some of the best moments of my life and the strong spurt of personal growth I ever experienced.  It also was easily the best year for music of my adult life.  Today, I look back at 2009 as one of those 'golden years.'  It's interesting that I didn't perceive it that way at the time. 

Written By: 80sfan on 05/27/17 at 2:15 pm

Unfortunately, for me, 2009, is still in my record book, for worst year of my life. But as a decade, the 2010's takes the cake, so far, as the worst decade of my life.

2010 was the second worst year of my life. So 2009 and 2010 were a hellish era for me.

Written By: Zelek3 on 05/27/17 at 7:10 pm

Today, I look back at 2009 as one of those 'golden years.'  It's interesting that I didn't perceive it that way at the time.

That's how everyone is.

For a while people generally thought 1999 was a tacky, vomitous year. Now they hail it as the "best year ever". Nostalgia and introspection does that to you.

Written By: 80sfan on 05/27/17 at 7:26 pm

That's how everyone is.

For a while people generally thought 1999 was a tacky, vomitous year. Now they hail it as the "best year ever". Nostalgia and introspection does that to you.

I've changed my mind for 1999, as a year, in general. But I still think/believe that music in 1999 was when it all started going south for the mainstream music industry. I've held this opinion since 1999, and I still believe it.  :(

Written By: Encoder319 on 05/27/17 at 7:42 pm

Come back 2000s! We miss you! Back in the 2000s, while many things had been twisted, some things at least were still right in the world. i.e. the Internet when it was a fun, niche community, rather than a political battleground for violent dunderheads to spew their extremism.

I agree. Although my relationship with the 2000s has always been one of ambivalence, at no point have I ever been a "hater" of that decade. Now that we're nearly ten years removed from the 2000s, I must say that I'm beginning to develop a newfound appreciation for the decade as a whole (even the so-called "dark years" of 2006-08). Everything that made the 2000s seem "unlikable" during the early 2010s, which showed a lot of promise by comparison, has since been neutralized by the climate we now find ourselves in. I'll take GWB over DJT every day of the week and twice on Sundays; I'll even take Emo over EDM.

Written By: Encoder319 on 05/27/17 at 7:48 pm

Not me! I've always been a huge fan of 1999 culture/style, although I can certainly understand why older 90s kids had an unfavorable opinion of it at the time.

Written By: Zelek3 on 05/27/17 at 7:52 pm

My mom (born 1967) still hates the 1997-2003/4 era, even though everyone else loves them now. She thinks they were comparable to the 50s in terms of how cheesy and vapid they were. She's glad we climbed out of black hole of Aqua, Hanson, and the Spice Girls.

Written By: 80sfan on 05/27/17 at 8:13 pm

My mom (born 1967) still hates the 1997-2003/4 era, even though everyone else loves them now. She thinks they were comparable to the 50s in terms of how cheesy and vapid they were. She's glad we climbed out of black hole of Aqua, Hanson, and the Spice Girls.

She would have turned 30 in 1997, which is around when people stop caring about pop culture as much.  :o

Written By: Sir Rothchild on 05/27/17 at 8:50 pm

Come back 2000s! We miss you! Back in the 2000s, while many things had been twisted, some things at least were still right in the world. i.e. the Internet when it was a fun, niche community, rather than a political battleground for violent dunderheads to spew their extremism.

THIS!

In my personal opinion, I think this decade has been the absolute worst in terms of Internet culture. At least for the 2000s, we didn't have SJWs, "third-wave" feminists, extreme political correctness, nor people who retweet about Black Lives Matter protests. It just sucks having that extremely negative atmosphere on the Internet, where its supposed to have you escape from reality on some occasions. I know it's a matter of freedom of speech, but I just wish people just shut up about politics for once. I just have to feel sorry for all those Democrats who eventually get generalized with these people.

Written By: Encoder319 on 05/27/17 at 9:23 pm

She would have turned 30 in 1997, which is around when people stop caring about pop culture as much.  :o

Hehe, I'm 26 and already out of touch with today's pop culture.

Written By: 2001 on 05/27/17 at 9:45 pm

What about Drake's latest hits?  :o

-----

I liked late 2009 when this thread was made.  I haven't "warmed up" to the 2000s in any way, I still remember how harsh it was for me.

2000s started getting more difficult for me starting in late 2001 when I was in Grade 4 and my parents and school started putting a lot more pressure on me academically. I remember being a sad kid. Although now, I look back on it fondly. My problems from then seem minuscule today haha. Things got better by Grade 6 (2003-04), but went completely down the toilet when I moved to Toronto in mid-2004. The first 4-6 months of 2009 were some of the worst days of my life, but then a miracle happened and I got out of my depression. The last 6 months of 2009 were in turn some of the best days of my life. I haven't really sunk back down to those lows ever since.

So the only parts of the 2000s I consistently got to enjoy were 2000, early 2001 and late 2009. The 2010s have been much kinder to me. If you went back in time and told me my life would be this consistently good, I would have never ever ever ever believed it. It really is a miracle. ;D So for everyone out there who's going through tough times, don't ever lose hope, you don't know what the future has in store, you have zero idea.  :-X

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 05/27/17 at 10:02 pm

Ironically, I hate most things about the pop culture of 1999 and I was born in 1999.

I like 1997-98 much more than 1999.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 05/27/17 at 10:08 pm

Not me! I've always been a huge fan of 1999 culture/style, although I can certainly understand why older 90s kids had an unfavorable opinion of it at the time.

I've always thought 1999 was a great year overall! Had a lot of fun during those times.

Written By: Slim95 on 05/27/17 at 10:11 pm

1997 - 2004 is not one era... 1997 is extremely different from even 2002.

Written By: Zelek3 on 05/27/17 at 10:16 pm

My mom isn't an uber-nerd like you Slim, she doesn't keep a quantitative measure of the 90s-ness/00s-ness per year. She just says 1997 was the start of an, and I quote, "6 or 7 year cultural black hole", that she claims was akin to the 50s in terms of cheesiness and vapidness, i.e. the popularity of boybands and "Call in your own music" shows

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 05/27/17 at 10:16 pm

1997 - 2004 is not one era... 1997 is extremely different from even 2002.

Well, "extremely" is a bit much but 1997 is different from 2002. Would you consider 1997-99 one era (technically, it is...the late 1990s)? Or maybe 1995-1997 as one era?

Written By: Slim95 on 05/27/17 at 10:17 pm

My mom isn't an uber-nerd like you Slim, she doesn't keep a quantitative measure of the 90s-ness/00s-ness per year. She just says 1997 was the start of an, and I quote, "6 or 7 year cultural black hole".

Okay fair enough  ;D

Written By: Slim95 on 05/27/17 at 10:19 pm

Well, "extremely" is a bit much but 1997 is different from 2002. Would you consider 1997-99 one era (technically, it is...the late 1990s)? Or maybe 1995-1997 as one era?

For me it is an extreme difference but yes I would consider 1997 to late 1998 one era. 1995 to 1997 I have no idea because I really don't follow pop culture before the late '90s haha.

Written By: Zelek3 on 05/27/17 at 10:22 pm

If my mom were British she'd probably claim 1996 was the start of the cultural black hole. The Spice Girls - one of the bands that she says ushered in that "vapid era" - became popular in Europe in '96, but didn't hit the United States until January 1997. 1997 also had Hanson and Aqua breaking through in the U.S. - two more bands that constituted the "vapid" late 90s/early 2000s era she hates.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 05/27/17 at 10:24 pm

For me it is an extreme difference but yes I would consider 1997 to late 1998 one era. 1995 to 1997 I have no idea because I really don't follow pop culture before the late '90s haha.

So a year is an "era"...I don't know. Aside from Latin pop and the Y2K vibe...there aren't too much differences between 1997 & 1999. However, I do like 1997 better than 1999.

If my mom were British she'd probably claim 1996 was the start of the cultural black hole. The Spice Girls - one of the bands that she says ushered in that "vapid era" - became popular in Europe in '96, but didn't hit the United States until January 1997.

Your mom has TRIGGERED every single one of your colleagues (remember you work at BuzzFeed).

Written By: Zelek3 on 05/27/17 at 10:25 pm

Your mom has TRIGGERED every single one of your colleagues (remember you work at BuzzFeed).

Yep, everyone in my office was snapping their fingers and tapping on their Harry Potter-brand bongoes in rage after I broke this to them.

Written By: Slim95 on 05/27/17 at 10:26 pm

So a year is an "era"...I don't know. Aside from Latin pop and the Y2K vibe...there aren't too much differences between 1997 & 1999. However, I do like 1997 better than 1999.

Well not a numeric era of course, but culturally it belongs to the Y2K era which ends in 2001. At least that's the way I see it.

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 05/27/17 at 10:31 pm

My Dad was also born in 1967, however he doesn't think the Late 90s were too bad. He thinks that music went downhill "after the 90s", rather than during the Late 90s.

Written By: 2001 on 05/27/17 at 10:31 pm

1996-2003 is one big era in my mind. The Web 1.0 era!

Some people say 1995-2004, "late '90s/early 2000s" to make it one decade.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 05/27/17 at 10:32 pm

Yep, everyone in my office was snapping their fingers and tapping on their Harry Potter-brand bongoes in rage after I broke this to them.

;D ;D ;D

Well not a numeric era of course, but culturally it belongs to the Y2K era which ends in 2001. At least that's the way I see it.

I guess. However, I would say that 1999 is slightly more similar to 1997 than 2001.

My Dad was also born in 1967, however he doesn't think the Late 90s were too bad. He thinks that music went downhill "after the 90s", rather than during the Late 90s.

My mother born in 1963 doesn't hate music of today. However, she loves pretty much any popular song from about 1984-2000.

Written By: Zelek3 on 05/27/17 at 10:33 pm

My dad liked the late 90s/early 2000s more than my mom. He liked some music at the time, such as Aqua(seriously. You must admit, they're cheesy as hell, but I guess I can see why one would like them as a guilty pleasure, they have some fun tunes), RHCP(Californication era), and Avril Lavigne(punk era, first two albums). However, he says he mostly stopped following music around 2004.

Written By: Zelek3 on 05/27/17 at 10:35 pm

Yeah, I've seen them do that on 8tracks a lot.

Written By: Slim95 on 05/27/17 at 10:37 pm

That is not one big era. The 1990s and early 2000s are different. 

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 05/27/17 at 10:38 pm

Well, if we're talking about the Web then maybe 1995-2004/2005 can be considered an era or decade.

However, in pretty much any other scenario....1995-2004/2005 is NOT one big era or decade.

Written By: Zelek3 on 05/27/17 at 10:39 pm

That is not one big era. The 1990s and early 2000s are different.

Well, if we're talking about the Web then maybe 1995-2004/2005 can be considered an era or decade.

However, in pretty much any other scenario....1995-2004/2005 is NOT one big era or decade.

True but average Joes don't care about technicalities. 1995-2004 makes more sense from a consumer standpoint; i.e., you get MORE years, thus MORE songs on 8tracks or Spotify if you mark a purchasable playlist as "Late 90s/early 2000s: 1995-2004" rather than "Late 90s/early 2000s: 1997-2003".

More songs to buy = more money. More money = more satisfied businessmen.

Written By: 2001 on 05/27/17 at 10:56 pm

True but average Joes don't care about technicalities. 1995-2004 makes more sense from a consumer standpoint; i.e., you get MORE years, thus MORE songs on 8tracks or Spotify if you mark a purchasable playlist as "Late 90s/early 2000s: 1995-2004" rather than "Late 90s/early 2000s: 1997-2003".

More songs to buy = more money. More money = more satisfied businessmen.

Exactly. And as a capitalist who worships the almighty dollar I'd be happy if you guys stop disagreeing with me and offending my religious sensibilities kthx.

The late '90s and early 2000s are similar to me because of Windows, Web 1.0, bulky computers, Friends/Fraisier/Just Shoot Me/many other TV shows, DVD/VHS hybrid years, anime craze, pre-iPod discman era, the pop-punk/skateboard trend, Y2K fashion, etc. I could go on. Now are 1997 and 2003 the exact same thing, no. But 2009 and 2016 aren't either and no one is losing sleep over tying those two years together so.  :-X

Anyway, I feel like we've had this topic quite a few times. ;D

Written By: JordanK1982 on 05/27/17 at 11:09 pm

1957 was the liberation of the parenthesis of immigration and the dawn of the era of '75.

;)

Written By: Zelek3 on 05/27/17 at 11:13 pm

1957 was the liberation of the parenthesis of immigration and the dawn of the era of '75.

;)

So 1957 was a big year for globalists and/or Jews?

(kidding)

Written By: 2001 on 05/27/17 at 11:14 pm

;)

Is this the point you're at in your decadeology doctoral thesis? If so, I think you should throw it in the trash and start anew.

Written By: 80sfan on 05/27/17 at 11:19 pm

;)

1957 was the year I saw it.  :(  :(

Written By: JordanK1982 on 05/27/17 at 11:23 pm

So 1957 was a big year for globalists and/or Jews?

(kidding)

lol

Is this the point you're at in your decadeology doctoral thesis? If so, I think you should throw it in the trash and start anew.

You think so? Well, I'll show you! >:(

As we begin our study into the manifest destiny of the centrifugal amalgamation of the Socrates inaudibility that occurred in 1957 which is evidenced by the release structure of Michael Jackson's Tommy we see a cultural alignment shift that perpetuates the stigmatic multiverse theory that conviviality bellwether is the facade of all life and the eras changed in late 2001 when Hannah Montana released the circumlocution of culture inception.

Case closed. 

1957 was the year I saw it.  :(  :(

Yes.

Written By: 80sfan on 05/27/17 at 11:25 pm

lol
You think so? Well, I'll show you! >:(

As we begin our study into the manifest destiny of the centrifugal amalgamation of the Socrates inaudibility that occurred in 1957 which is evidenced by the release structure of Michael Jackson's Tommy we see a cultural alignment shift that perpetuates the stigmatic multiverse theory that conviviality bellwether is the facade of all life and the eras changed in late 2001 when Hannah Montana released the circumlocution of culture inception.

Case closed. 
Yes.

1975 was the year the troposphere attacked the minions on the East Shore!  :(  :o  :o

Written By: Howard on 05/28/17 at 5:06 am

I don't even care about today's pop culture.

Written By: Lizardmatum on 05/29/17 at 12:54 pm

So the only parts of the 2000s I consistently got to enjoy were 2000, early 2001 and late 2009. The 2010s have been much kinder to me. If you went back in time and told me my life would be this consistently good, I would have never ever ever ever believed it. It really is a miracle. ;D So for everyone out there who's going through tough times, don't ever lose hope, you don't know what the future has in store, you have zero idea.  :-X

And I thought I was one of the only one's whose personal life has been better this decade than the 2000's!  :o

Written By: Encoder319 on 05/29/17 at 7:42 pm

The late '90s and early 2000s are similar to me because of Windows, Web 1.0, bulky computers, Friends/Fraisier/Just Shoot Me/many other TV shows, DVD/VHS hybrid years, anime craze, pre-iPod discman era, the pop-punk/skateboard trend, Y2K fashion, etc. I could go on. Now are 1997 and 2003 the exact same thing, no. But 2009 and 2016 aren't either and no one is losing sleep over tying those two years together so.  :-X

This times a million. Each one of us can nitpick the cultural nuances within any single given year of recent memory, so obviously there are going to be noted differences when we're talking about a 6-year gap. That doesn't mean that 1997 and 2003, in the grand scheme of things, aren't more or less part of the same millennium era characterized by the things you mentioned.

I find it funny that Slim95 thinks that 1997 and 2002 were so different, yet doesn't hesitate to group 2000 and 2005 together as one era. LOL.

Written By: Slim95 on 05/29/17 at 8:31 pm

I find it funny that Slim95 thinks that 1997 and 2002 were so different, yet doesn't hesitate to group 2000 and 2005 together as one era. LOL.

I don't group 2000 - 2005 as one era at all... 2005 is part of the mid 2000s and is completely separate from the early 2000s. When did I group 2000 - 2005 as one era?  ???

Edit: Unless you're talking about me grouping it as a numeric era, in which case that is correct. 2000 - 2005 is all part of the 2000s decade which 2000 - 2009.

Check for new replies or respond here...