inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: AOL 40 Best & Worst TV Shows of the 2000's

Written By: woops on 12/15/09 at 12:52 am

AOL 40 Best TV Shows of the 2000s

Indifferent towards the majority of the shows and only watched "Family Guy" (good thing wasn't on the Top 10). "The Simpsons" shouldn't be on the list. Also it's way past it's peak and isn't as talked about or popular like it was in the 1990's.

AOL worst tv shows of the 2000s

"That '80's Show"... it appeared more like a "SNL" or "Mad TV" sketch than a sitcom since it relied too much on '80's pop culture references and over exaggerated & one dimensional characters.

I actually watched some episodes of  "Shasta McNasty" as a teenager though don't recall any episodes.

Besides countless reality shows, where's "Gossip Girls", "Desperate Housewives",  or Chelsea Handler's talkshow from E!?

Subject: Re: AOL 40 Best & Worst TV Shows of the 2000's

Written By: Dagwood on 12/15/09 at 7:51 am

A lot of the shows on the good list were premium cable shows that I have never seen so I couldn't really form an opinion.  I do disagree with Family Guy.  I can't stand that show...not my type of humor at all.

As for the not good list.  I agree with all of them. 

Written By: ninny on 12/15/09 at 8:13 am

I apparently need to watch more TV. I've heard of most on the best list, but have seen less than half of those
The worst list must be bad because I think I may have seen only 2 or 3 of those.

Written By: 435wtr on 12/15/09 at 12:48 pm

IMO the best show of this decade by FAR is Mad Men, seriously, It's great.

Written By: MrCleveland on 12/15/09 at 3:41 pm

IMO-ANY Reality Show is the worst TV Show of the 2000's!

Written By: whistledog on 12/15/09 at 9:03 pm

'According to Jim' in the Top 10 of Worst?  Those clowns at AOL need their heads examined.  There was nothing wrong with that show.  Jim Belushi is awesome!

Why is South Park not on that worst list?  To me, that is the dumbest non reality show of the 00s.

Written By: yelimsexa on 12/16/09 at 7:36 am

I wonder where "The Simpsons" would have ranked if they did one for the '90s. (Simpsons will forever be associated with the '90s for me). But, where are the game shows? (Even primetime!) Who Wants To Be A Millionaire? Deal Or No Deal? Even the short-lived 1 vs. 100 was great!

Written By: woops on 12/16/09 at 10:06 am

Toon Zone is featuring a countdown of 25 cartoons of the decade, though unfortunately their blog only features 5 each day...

A seasponge or  a dysfunctional family including a sadistic toddler & talking dog would probably top the list.

Not really suprising since those two have a large following and "SpongeBob" (have to admit it despite that I dislike the cartoon) is still one of Nickelodeon's top shows  for a decade and "Family Guy"  is one of the very few  shows (live action or animated) that was  actually revived after a few years of cancellation.

As for a list, honestly couldn't even think of a Top 5 since there wasn't really anything that stood out in the past decade and majority weren't anything interesting, IMHO.

A few were OK, but also tended to be hit or miss

Toon Zone's Bottom 5 cartoons

Top 10 Worst "adult" cartoons of the past decade...

(Not listing "kids" cartoons since the list would be longer, though most of the "adult" cartoons are more immature and 95% of the Adult Swim originals aren't much different than their Cartoon Network programming  ::)

10. "Ren & Stimpy: Adult Party Party" (Spike TV)

Pretty much a revamped version of the '90's cult cartoon that pretty much tried too hard to push the envelope even further... Even worse, it was done by it's own creator John Kricfalusi.

9. "Metalocalypse" (Cartoon Network's Adult Swim)

The unnecessary gory & unfunny  violence and dull characters that pretty much dominates the show.

8. "King of the Hill" (Fox)

Honestly, I'm suprise that it lasted 12 years while the show was pretty much bland and not much "animated". Granted that I thought the show was OK during it's first few seasons, but it went too long.

7. "Squidbillies" (Cartoon Network's Adult Swim)

Hillbilly squids and crude animation with lame potty jokes and no wit or entertainment value.

6. "The Cleveland Show" (Fox)

Was the "Family Guy" spin-off really necessary?

5. "Stripperella" (Spike TV)

Stan Lee joined forces with Pamela Anderson for one of the lamest superhero parodies...

4. "DJ & The Fro" (MTV)

MTV's poor attempt of a "Beavis & Butt-Head" for the YouTube generation.  

3. "American Dad" (Fox)

Really, Seth McFarlane isn't the king of primetime cartoons... Annoying characters and tries too hard to be funny

2. "Superjail" (Cartoon Network's Adult Swim)

Mindless  gory violence and no laughs. Pretty much sums-up a typical episode.

1. "12 oz Mouse" (Cartoon Network's Adult Swim)

One of the most crude (in terms of animation) cartoons from Adult Swim...

Dishonorable mentions:

"Kid Notorious"
"3 South"
"Popzilla"

Written By: Zeb on 12/19/09 at 7:48 pm

Toon Zone is featuring a countdown of 25 cartoons of the decade, though unfortunately their blog only features 5 each day...

out in the past decade and majority weren't anything interesting, IMHO.

A few were OK, but also tended to be hit or miss

Toon Zone's Bottom 5 cartoons

Top 10 Worst "adult" cartoons of the past decade...

(Not listing "kids" cartoons since the list would be longer, though most of the "adult" cartoons are more immature and 95% of the Adult Swim originals aren't much different than their Cartoon Network programming  ::)

10. "Ren & Stimpy: Adult Party Party" (Spike TV)

Pretty much a revamped version of the '90's cult cartoon that pretty much tried too hard to push the envelope even further... Even worse, it was done by it's own creator John Kricfalusi.

9. "Metalocalypse" (Cartoon Network's Adult Swim)

The unnecessary gory & unfunny  violence and dull characters that pretty much dominates the show.

8. "King of the Hill" (Fox)

Honestly, I'm suprise that it lasted 12 years while the show was pretty much bland and not much "animated". Granted that I thought the show was OK during it's first few seasons, but it went too long.

7. "Squidbillies" (Cartoon Network's Adult Swim)

Hillbilly squids and crude animation with lame potty jokes and no wit or entertainment value.

6. "The Cleveland Show" (Fox)

Was the "Family Guy" spin-off really necessary?

5. "Stripperella" (Spike TV)

Stan Lee joined forces with Pamela Anderson for one of the lamest superhero parodies...

4. "DJ & The Fro" (MTV)

MTV's poor attempt of a "Beavis & Butt-Head" for the YouTube generation.  

3. "American Dad" (Fox)

Really, Seth McFarlane isn't the king of primetime cartoons... Annoying characters and tries too hard to be funny

2. "Superjail" (Cartoon Network's Adult Swim)

Mindless  gory violence and no laughs. Pretty much sums-up a typical episode.

1. "12 oz Mouse" (Cartoon Network's Adult Swim)

One of the most crude (in terms of animation) cartoons from Adult Swim...

Dishonorable mentions:

"Kid Notorious"
"3 South"
"Popzilla"

I Must Disagree with you on one point.  I loved "3 South" and If were on adult swim and not MTV it may have had more success.

Written By: nondiva234 on 12/23/09 at 2:20 am

I disagree that The Simpsons aren't talked about as much as they did in the 90s. It's only because they're not as controversial as other animated shows airing right now, like Family Guy. They're very much prevalent; I mean, they had a huge movie and promotion for that movie in 2007...

Mostly agree with this list. I would have liked that they added Big Brother to that list, but it's not as big in the US as it is in the UK; if they had a British list, BB would definitely be somewhere on that list. Then again, Big Brother was one of the original reality TV shows that premiered around the same time as Survivor.

Written By: gumbypiz on 12/23/09 at 4:07 am

IMO-ANY Reality Show is the worst TV Show of the 2000's!

Double "DITTO" that!

Reality shows are the scourge of the earth. I can't describe how many times I've felt my skull imploding while this junk was being broadcast to my TV screen. The worst part, its NOT reality at all!

Just how does scripted, non reality, producer fabricated poo get tagged or listed as "reality" anyway? 8-P And when will the deluded masses wake up to the truth of this crap is anyway?

Written By: joeman on 12/23/09 at 9:37 am

I disagree that The Simpsons aren't talked about as much as they did in the 90s. It's only because they're not as controversial as other animated shows airing right now, like Family Guy. They're very much prevalent; I mean, they had a huge movie and promotion for that movie in 2007...

Mostly agree with this list. I would have liked that they added Big Brother to that list, but it's not as big in the US as it is in the UK; if they had a British list, BB would definitely be somewhere on that list. Then again, Big Brother was one of the original reality TV shows that premiered around the same time as Survivor.

Disagree here.  I have been a big Simpsons fan since the very beginning, but they are a 90's show that worked in the 90's.  Problem was, when it went into the 00's, the characters needed to change as most of what they were out of date. 

There was a Simpson's episode called "We love the 90's" where Homer past suddenly went from a Disco dancing young adult to a Gen X Grunger.  Bart and Lisa were really clueless about what the 90's were, despite the fact when the show was first created in 1987.  That would mean even Maggie was able to experience the 90's, but that wasn't the case in that episode.

Written By: Christie Marie M on 12/25/09 at 8:02 am

Best TV Shows of 2000's:

iCarly
Cleveland Show
Family Guy
Ned's Declassified School Survival Guide
Are You Smarter Than A 5th Grader?
Grey's Anatomy
Scrubs

Worst TV Show of 2000's:
The Anna Nicole Show

Check for new replies or respond here...