inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Avatar Day!

Written By: JamieMcBain on 12/15/09 at 9:39 pm

Avatar is in theaters, tomorrow, so who is excited and going to see it?

Subject: Re: Avatar Day!

Written By: 435wtr on 12/16/09 at 2:20 am

I'm probably going to see it, this film seems like one of those RARE huge goliath films that get huge hype but are still incredibly good, I don't think it'll be as big as Titanic as some are saying, but I think it'll be talked about for a while.

Written By: gumbypiz on 12/16/09 at 2:34 am

Don't know. :-\\

Have to admit, after seeing so many trailers and previews, not feeling the vibe.

The storyline isn't really that interesting to me, its been done before...and the "look" of the blue green characters seem off-putting to me. It just dosen't look that attractive overall. I've seen better in a video game and still wouldn't pay for that either...

The movie looks like its going to be betting heavily on how it looks and CGI...not enough plot or character development that I can tell for me to pay up $10 for a movie, and not clear on how its going to reap any profits starting with a $400 million production cost even if I'm wrong.

Have to say the jurys still out.
Too much hype and not enough substance right now.
Going to wait till others see it and get some feedback before seeing it.

Written By: gibbo on 12/16/09 at 4:53 am

My son saw it tonight (yes..it's Wednesday night in Australia)..and he reckons it is the best movie he ever saw!  But he's only 15 .... so he hasn't seen THAT many great movies!!!  Apparently, it is best viewed in 3D...

Written By: batfan2005 on 12/16/09 at 6:21 am

I'm excited about seeing it. Unfortunately, it doesn't come out until the 23rd in Japan. From the trailers I saw, it shows that we've come a long way with CG. For some reason, the feel of the movie reminds me of Jurassic Park, even though the story is about an alien planet and not dinosaurs on an island. I think it is just the setting of Pandora that is similar and the sound effects. I think the movie would been ideal to be released in the summer time instead of the holidays, but it should still be good nonetheless.

Written By: 80sfan on 12/16/09 at 8:17 am

Hollywood is jaded.  :-\\

All the tv shows, movies, and music are soooo bad right now. Hollywood is officially dead.

Written By: Tia on 12/16/09 at 8:54 am

i had no interest in seeing avatar until i learned it really makes conservatives angry. they think it's "anti-american." now i'm psyched to see it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtzHSML1jT0&videos=pxMjMtVV6ts

Written By: MrCleveland on 12/16/09 at 12:41 pm

All the tv shows, movies, and music are soooo bad right now. Hollywood is officially dead.

I agree!

Written By: 80sfan on 12/16/09 at 2:39 pm

I agree!

I mean, did they just wake up one day and stopped caring?

Written By: Foo Bar on 12/17/09 at 10:37 pm

I enjoyed Johnny Mnemonic, which was also essentially a tech demo for Alias/Wavefront.  So I'm going to see Avatar, if for no other reason than I'm looking forward to seeing how far we've come since then.

But since you asked...

I mean, did they just wake up one day and stopped caring?

OK, hear me out.  Got a pitch for something new for you.  Crime drama, action movie.  Suppose you had this guy who wanted to rub out a witness, OK?  And - get this - he wants to make it look like an accident, so he puts a bunch of snakes into the cargo hold of the plane taking the witness back to trial.  With, like, timers on them, so that the snakes get released, and go and bite everyone, and nobody knows what happened.  Except that Samuel L. Jackson's on the plane too, and he finally reaches the limits of his tolerance and saves the day.  We'll market it using viral methods, like those Blair Witch guys did.

I'm still stuck for a title, though.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 12/19/09 at 3:01 pm

Interesting news about the film, it appears not everyone is excited about the film.

There are plans to boycott Avatar, because they are no transgendered (or apparently gay or lesbian) characters, in the film.

Seriously.

http://www.dallasvoice.com/instant-tea/2009/12/16/lgbt-site-marks-friday-as-the-international-day-of-protest-against-avatar/

By the way, there are probably no transgendered characters, in Did You Hear The Morgans?, The Princess and the Frog, and The New Moon.

Should we boycott those films too?  

Written By: JamieMcBain on 12/19/09 at 4:01 pm

By the way, here is actual website.

http://stopavatarmovie.blogspot.com/

Written By: 80sfan on 12/19/09 at 4:59 pm

I enjoyed Johnny Mnemonic, which was also essentially a tech demo for Alias/Wavefront.  So I'm going to see Avatar, if for no other reason than I'm looking forward to seeing how far we've come since then.

But since you asked...

OK, hear me out.  Got a pitch for something new for you.  Crime drama, action movie.  Suppose you had this guy who wanted to rub out a witness, OK?  And - get this - he wants to make it look like an accident, so he puts a bunch of snakes into the cargo hold of the plane taking the witness back to trial.  With, like, timers on them, so that the snakes get released, and go and bite everyone, and nobody knows what happened.  Except that Samuel L. Jackson's on the plane too, and he finally reaches the limits of his tolerance and saves the day.  We'll market it using viral methods, like those Blair Witch guys did.

Too bad Hollywood had a brain fart for the past 4 years or so.

Written By: 80sfan on 12/19/09 at 5:03 pm

But since you asked...

I like! 1 karamel.
Despite my negative ramble I think there's a good reason why Hollywood has been this way the past decade. I think Hollywood is weird now is because it is in a transition mode of trying to decide what to do next. Same thing with the music industry.
I like to think of the 2000's and sadly maybe even the 2010's as the decades Hollywood took a breather! Lol.

Written By: 80sfan on 12/19/09 at 5:18 pm

I mean, Hollywood has been around, what, a century? It was gonna have a drought sooner or later. I think the 00's/10's is that drought. Nothing is sharp all the time is it?

Written By: Foo Bar on 12/19/09 at 6:51 pm

Despite my negative ramble I think there's a good reason why Hollywood has been this way the past decade. I think Hollywood is weird now is because it is in a transition mode of trying to decide what to do next. Same thing with the music industry.

Snakes on a Plane was it's the perfect example of what's right - and what's wrong - with remix generation.  Hollywood asked the Internet what it wanted in a film, and SoAP was the result.  I loved being part of the audience at midnight on opening night - but the rest of the world didn't get the joke, and pop culture moves too fast for something like Rocky Horror Picture Show to develop a cult following.

As for Avatar, I don't think it'll suffer the same fate.  What a lot of people aren't getting about Avatar is the movie compared to the price tag.  When you explain that the price tag wasn't for one movie, but for the technology to change the ways in which movies are made, and that Avatar is the technology demonstrator, the price tag makes more sense.  It's a risky gamble, but if you've got a Titanic amount of cash, you've got the time to take a few years and have a shot at becoming the next generation's Industrial Light & Magic.

Written By: Davester on 12/20/09 at 10:22 pm

Snakes on a Plane was it's the perfect example of what's right - and what's wrong - with remix generation.  Hollywood asked the Internet what it wanted in a film, and SoAP was the result.  I loved being part of the audience at midnight on opening night - but the rest of the world didn't get the joke, and pop culture moves too fast for something like Rocky Horror Picture Show to develop a cult following.

So what was the joke..?

Written By: LyricBoy on 12/21/09 at 6:21 pm

Maybe I am in a minority, but the super-duper "special effects movies" strike me as an exercise in mechanized masturbation.  In my mind they do not have any "soul".

Don't get me wrong, it certainly takes alot of certain talent to do these flicks.  But in my mind, once you've done one of these computerized exercises, what's the point?  Give me real actors and real photography any time, and leave the computers and hard drives at home.

(Note:  The guy who did the special effects for "Avatar" is a high school classmate of mine and he's accumulated 3 Oscars for special effects so far, and will prolly get a 4th for this flick).  Talk about a nerd.  When he was a kid, his parents installed a friggin' observatory telescope in his bedroom, and they were always pimping his story to the local newspapers.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 12/27/09 at 2:15 pm

Saw this week, in 3-D, and it was aewsome!!!!!

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/27/09 at 2:38 pm

Saw this week, in 3-D, and it was aewsome!!!!!
Ditto, on a big screen too!

...and is brillliant!

Check for new replies or respond here...