inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Douchebag of the Decade?

Written By: gumbypiz on 12/16/09 at 8:40 pm

So the decade is finally coming to an end and with the end of the ‘aughts, comes the usual accumulation of lists, best of and top 10 lists etc.

So here’s a different one for you, who’s your choice for Douchebag of the decade?
Gawker.com started a pretty good list and so far Bill O’Reilly is winning with about 30% of the vote (surprising, isn’t it?).

Subject: Re: Douchebag of the Decade?

Written By: whistledog on 12/16/09 at 9:50 pm

Don't know if news of this one leaked outside of Canada, but I went with other and picked former Ontario Politician, Michael Bryant.

In 2007, he helped create a safe driving law in Ontario (higher penalties if you are caught going 50km over the speed limit), then in September of 2009, after an altercation with a bike messenger, he sped recklessly causing the death of the messenger after dragging him alongside his car, hitting a mailbox then evading the scene. 

He claims his innocence, but witness accounts contradict his story.  His trial is scheduled for January 2010

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/16/09 at 11:08 pm

Sarah, Joe, George, Rush, and the GOP!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/05/flipa.gif

Written By: danootaandme on 12/17/09 at 6:32 am

Sarah, Joe, George, Rush, and the GOP!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/05/flipa.gif

and the people who love them

http://www.tomandang.com/blog/images/headUpArse.jpg

Written By: 80sfan on 12/17/09 at 7:27 am

Besides the obvious George Bush, I'll pick someone else:

I'll pick...

Tom Cruise!

That jump on the couch was cringe worthy.  ;D

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 12/17/09 at 8:22 am

Oh it's so hard to decide. :)

Written By: Tia on 12/17/09 at 8:29 am

joe lieberman. period. worst human being who ever lived.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 12/17/09 at 10:17 am

Bill O'Reilly gets my vote.

Written By: Ashkicksass on 12/17/09 at 10:47 am

So MANY douchebags...so little time.

I voted for Cheney, O'Reilly, Rove, Limbaugh, and threw one in for Sarah Palin, just for fun.

Written By: LyricBoy on 12/17/09 at 10:54 am

An interesting list.  From this list I picked Chris Brown and Bono.
However there are a number of names missing that should at least be considered eligible:

Nadya Suleman (a.k.a., "Octomom" or "Octopussy")
Bret Michaels
Christian Audigier (purveyor of the de rigeur clothing line for douchebags, "Ed Hardy")
Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie
Mystery (the dude from "The Pickup Artist")
Ray J

Although maybe Octopussy should not be on the list, because her douchebaggery really has only come into the public conscienceness on for maybe 2 years or so.

Written By: Doc Brown on 12/17/09 at 2:56 pm

Excuse me! You forgot the biggest bastard of them all. Where is Bin Laden's boy,
Michael Moore?

Your Pal,
Doc

>:(

Written By: MrCleveland on 12/17/09 at 3:10 pm

I also add in...Dennis Kucinich!

His dream of impeaching and/or sending Bush and friends to jail was the same as him being President!

Written By: joeman on 12/17/09 at 3:17 pm

I put Cheney, Bush, West, Republican Party, and other..

You forgot Fred Durst

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/17/09 at 4:15 pm

joe lieberman. period. worst human being who ever lived.

Nah, he's still as bad as Hitler or Caligula, but he sure is trying! 
::)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/17/09 at 4:17 pm

Excuse me! You forgot the biggest bastard of them all. Where is Bin Laden's boy,
Michael Moore?

Your Pal,
Doc

Would you agree that Bernie Madoff is a douchebag?

And why is Mr. Moore "Bin Laden's boy"?

Written By: Julia on 12/17/09 at 6:52 pm

My vote goes to Bin Laden!

Written By: whistledog on 12/17/09 at 7:03 pm

But guests can't vote :P

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/17/09 at 7:10 pm

Well you know the Bush family are tied in with the Bin Ladens (no babies, just business) and the press tried to say the Bin Ladins "disowned" Osama.  Left him with only $54 million dollars, and that ain't much for the Bin Ladens, but Osama was the freaky weirdo kid.  Just like John Hinckley, Jr.  The Bush family was close the Hinckley family in a sort of oilman-to-oilman way.  The Hinckelys gave a lot of money to the George HW Bush 1980 Republican presidential bid but lost out to the cheeseball fink actor, Ronald Reagan.  George was supposed to be up there in the White House, WTF?  So the Hinckleys helped them devise a plot starring their whacked-out son, John, Jr., in which he would murder Ronald Regan because he (John, Jr., not, Ron) loved Jody Foster!  Neil Bush was scheduled to Have Dinner with John's older brother the night after the assassination attempt, and the families were friends, isn't that strange?  The Texas press was so tin-eared they just ran the story...and then I think somebody told them they should focus and the funny pages and horoscope and never you mind about anything between the Bushes and the Hinckleys.  Cronkite, Rather, Brokaw, and all the news organizations just wouldn't bring it up...
:D

But, you ask, but why didn't they just try it again?  Look they risked a lot on the attempt and if John, Jr., used a higher caliber pistol, or was the bullet 1/4 cm closer to a heart artery, Reagan would've had a shorter term than Garfield (James A., not that cat) let alone JFK!  They didn't kill Reagan but they scared him enough to follow the Bush agenda as much as possible and HW got his turn in 1988.  If they tried it again, the chances of them getting caught were too high. 

Written By: tv on 12/17/09 at 10:14 pm

I picked Paris Hilton, Lidsay Lohan, and Octomom. OH yeah the Gosselin's too. Who could forget about them?

Written By: Foo Bar on 12/17/09 at 10:30 pm

Would you agree that Bernie Madoff is a douchebag?

Why yes, yes, I would.

For those clamoring for folks like Bush, or bin Laden, or other similar figures as write-ins, I'd suggest you're misreading the question.  It's not about whom you detest more, it's about why you detest them.

There are people I hate more than the five I selected.  There are people more dangerous, evil, or just plain offensive, but Bernie was the only guy whom I both despised and whom I felt qualified as an honest-to-Dobbs douchebag.  (Most of the rest of my answers were celebrity-types.)

Cheney and Clinton are evil to various members of the electorate, but can't reasonably be considered douchebags.  Coulter/Beck and Jackson/Sharpton, on the other hand, act as attention-whoring sycophants to their leaders, and epitomize the sort of douchebaggery that passes for politics these days.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/18/09 at 7:26 am

Why yes, yes, I would.

I know you would.  I'm pretty certain Doc Brown would.  My point is, Michael Moore's criticisms of our so-called "Capitalism" is not about free market competition, but thieves who game the system, like Bernie.  Since "Roger & Me," Michael Moore has been pointing out how "corporatism," not "capitalism," weakens the country and destroys people's lives.  So, naturally, the corporatists, who are overrepresented in the media, hate him.

Written By: Tia on 12/18/09 at 7:39 am

Nah, he's still as bad as Hitler or Caligula, but he sure is trying! 
::)

nope.

"lieberman: worse than hitler." i'm gonna have t-shirts made.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/18/09 at 9:53 pm

nope.

"lieberman: worse than hitler." i'm gonna have t-shirts made.

I left the "not" out of my sentence, so, gramatically, I was saying Lieberman is as bad as Hitler...just not worse. 

Best not get those t-shirts made.  Folks of the Semitic persuasion might get awful upset, if y'know what I mean...

http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/07/nono.gif

Written By: Doc Brown on 12/18/09 at 10:46 pm

I left the "not" out of my sentence, so, gramatically, I was saying Lieberman is as bad as Hitler...just not worse. 

Best not get those t-shirts made.  Folks of the Semitic persuasion might get awful upset, if y'know what I mean...

Isn't that something you should have thought about before posting in the first place? Now that it's been seen, YOU are going to look like an anti-Semitic! Consider yourself warned.

Your Pal,
Doc

Written By: Jessica on 12/18/09 at 11:50 pm

Isn't that something you should have thought about before posting in the first place? Now that it's been seen, YOU are going to look like an anti-Semitic! Consider yourself warned.

Your Pal,
Doc

Oh NOES!  Max has been warned by someone who has no authoritah on this board!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/19/09 at 2:20 am

Your Pal,
Doc

Oooooh-hooo-hoooo!  I have been warned!  And might I warn you, fine sir, that anti-Semite is the noun and anti-Semitic is the adjective and let us not throw either around lightly.

Furthermore, I ASKED you a question on your Michael Moore's a douchebag assertion, which you've sidestepped and called me a bigot instead.

I envy Al Franken:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVRp52op918

Written By: danootaandme on 12/19/09 at 9:58 am

I like Al Franken

Written By: Tia on 12/19/09 at 10:49 am

fair point. "lieberman: worse than caligula"? or is it too soon for caligula humor?

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 12/19/09 at 1:04 pm

Your Pal,
Doc

Ah ok first of all get off you psuedo-ultra sensitivity.  I seem to remember your remark about my friend Daylin Leach.  (The PA state senator who put forth the gay marriage bill)  You were very quick to say he was gay.  Second of all unless you are of Jewish heritage I would suggest you not split hairs where it's not needed.  Question ~ Do you feel it is acceptable to compare President Obama to Hitler?

Written By: Tia on 12/19/09 at 1:44 pm

Ah ok first of all get off you psuedo-ultra sensitivity.  I seem to remember your remark about my friend Daylin Leach.  (The PA state senator who put forth the gay marriage bill)  You were very quick to say he was gay.  Second of all unless you are of Jewish heritage I would suggest you not split hairs where it's not needed.  Question ~ Do you feel it is acceptable to compare President Obama to Hitler?

i find if you ignore Doc B, he usually goes away. if you don't, he'll eventually PM you, call you a terrorist and threaten you physically, so engagement tends not to pay off.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/19/09 at 2:09 pm

fair point. "lieberman: worse than caligula"? or is it too soon for caligula humor?

I dunno, ask Bob Guccione!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJE329HP08Y

Just replace Malcolm McDowell with Joe.

"Lieberman: No rumor can match the reality!"

Second of all unless you are of Jewish heritage I would suggest you not split hairs where it's not needed.  

You see, his true identity is Rabbi Dr. Bronner, the magic soap peppermint shampoo guy!
:P

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 12/19/09 at 3:04 pm

i find if you ignore Doc B, he usually goes away. if you don't, he'll eventually PM you, call you a terrorist and threaten you physically, so engagement tends not to pay off.

I shall take your advice.  You've never steered me wrong.

Written By: LyricBoy on 12/19/09 at 6:18 pm

In the name of the Senate, and the people of Rome...

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/19/09 at 11:02 pm

Actually, I was thinking, a good headline for a '00s retrospective would be:

Decade of the Douchebag!

:P

Written By: Giulia on 12/25/09 at 1:47 pm

But guests can't vote :P

My imaginary vote! :)

Written By: Giulia on 12/25/09 at 2:10 pm

For those clamoring for folks like Bush, or bin Laden, or other similar figures as write-ins, I'd suggest you're misreading the question.  It's not about whom you detest more, it's about why you detest them.

I don't think detesting Bush and Bin Laden must necessarily exclude each other. For example, I have a moderate Muslim friend who despises both equally. I chose Bin Laden because of the cruel 9/11 attacks, their brutality and their terrible, unsettling consequences on the western culture of the 00's, although Bush's excessive and unfocussed reaction did not help, either. But I would say that the 9/11 attacks started it all, so I chose their mastermind as the worst guy of the decade.

I did not mean to be some sort of political activist, but come on, it would be hard to deny that Osama was a pretty bad guy from whichever perspective you look at him (whether you are a Lib., a Cons., or an independent centrist like me). So, I did not explain WHY I detest him because I thought it is pretty obvious: 9/11 cast a dark shadow of fear over the whole decade, which was exploited rather ruthlessly by some politicians (especially my former party, the Republicans, which I left precisely because of their fear mongering at a time in which they should have reassured the Nation instead).

The 9/11 terrorist attacks and the wars that followed them were, in my opinion, the defining events of the decade that is about to end. That is why I chose Bin Laden. Terror-mongering politicians would come second, and the third place goes to reality TV producers.

Written By: Giulia on 12/25/09 at 2:27 pm

PS - And a special mention goes to:

1) the irresponsible banks that granted sub-prime mortgages to poor sods who should have been renting a two-bedroom apartment instead (my husband and I are currently renting a 1-bedroom, so no offence intended);

2) the irresponsible poor sods who thought they could afford a MC Mansion on minimum wage – and who still can afford it, thanks to our money;

3) both major parties, who agreed to bail out incompetent Big Business corporations with our money;

4) the greedy, incompetent Big Business corporations who survive only thanks to our money;

5) Paris Hilton and the Kardashians (need I say more?);

6) the "campy," "ironic," tacky-chich trend (a poor excuse to adopt bad taste and get away with it).

(The occasional British spelling is due to the fact that I am a stubborn and inadaptable naturalised American citizen, in case you were wondering.)

Written By: Foo Bar on 12/25/09 at 9:38 pm

I don't think detesting Bush and Bin Laden must necessarily exclude each other.

Oh, no, it's quite possible to detest all of the above.  I was just arguing that it didn't make 'em douchebags.

The 9/11 terrorist attacks and the wars that followed them were, in my opinion, the defining events of the decade that is about to end. That is why I chose Bin Laden. Terror-mongering politicians would come second, and the third place goes to reality TV producers.

And while I'd detest all three, only the third would qualify as douchebags in my book.  (The first two categories I'd find more detestable than mere douchebaggery.) 

Actually, I was thinking, a good headline for a '00s retrospective would be:

Decade of the Douchebag!

You're onto something here.  In the 80s/90s, we didn't really have the sort of instantaneous mass media / celebrity culture that the '00s brought upon us.  Sure, there were celebrities, but I don't remember there being celebritards, at least not to the degree of the '00s.  Perhaps the last ten years were the first ten years on which any douchebag, regardless of talent, could become a star.  "Decade of the Douchebag" would be a fit moniker for it.

Check for new replies or respond here...