inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The 2000s - Decade In Review

Written By: joeman on 12/17/09 at 3:19 pm

Since the decade is closing, lets talk about the year 2000.

I personally enjoyed it.  Everybody was optimistic about the future and the music was good(save the boybands).  A lot of people thought Y2K would end it all, but it was obvious that it didn't.  Still had some fond memories and times from 2000.

What was your experience like in 2000?

Subject: Re: 2000

Written By: Brian06 on 12/17/09 at 3:53 pm

2000 was great. There was a general positive attitude, we were at relative peace and the economy hadn't collapsed quite yet. 2000 seems like the good old days, a world before George W. Bush and 9/11.

Written By: 435wtr on 12/17/09 at 4:25 pm

It was a pretty good year, I remember it as a great year that had a booming economy, I was 9, and I remember going with my parents and the real estate agent to view houses, and the house we put a number on was already bidded on a little earlier, I just remember that when houses were on sale back then, they didn't stay empty for long.

Written By: batfan2005 on 12/17/09 at 6:47 pm

I was just thinking about that year last night, how it kind feels like a long time ago. It was a good year for me since I had just turned 21 so I was going out to clubs a lot on weekends. It was also good because it was before everything went downhill in 2001. Even late 2000 had a downhill feel to it, with the USS Cole incident and the elections (Florida recount). Spring and Summer '00 were the best.

Musically, I remember listening to Common, Jagged Edge, Sisqo, Nelly, Jay-Z's "Big Pimpin'" song, and many others.

Written By: 90steen on 12/17/09 at 7:36 pm

2000 was a big year for raves in SF. Was a good year indeed. Cheesy, but good. I'll never forget my black spiky hair with blonde tips I had back then.  8-P

Written By: MrCleveland on 12/19/09 at 9:10 pm

2000 was a good year for me.

I was pumped at the stuff that would come to me. I voted for the first time ever (Yes, I voted for Bush) and I had fun with my Youth Group that I was with.

Things were up. They really didn't go down until 9/11/2001....After that, I never got that feel good moment again. :(

Written By: Frank on 12/19/09 at 10:21 pm

2001 was a good year for me, compared to 2001, where before 9-1-1, my Father, godmother and favorite Aunt passed away and Mother-in-law was diagnosed with inoperable cancer, she passed away in 2002.

Written By: sonikuu on 12/20/09 at 7:13 pm

I like to think of 2000 as being my own personal last year of innocence.  Such a nice, positive time in my youth.  Yeah, there were problems, but they were all fairly insignificant in retrospect.  It was elementary school, fifth and sixth grade and everything seemed so simple.  2000 was honestly one of the best years of my life  and this carried over into early 2001.

2000 was a also a great year for pop culture.  While I disliked the boy bands that were popular at the time, they are strangely nostalgic now and the Rock was good.  Some aspects of that year, like Limp Bizkit, have not aged well.  The movies were great.  Reality tv was just getting big and wasn't everywhere yet.  Video games were at a weird transition point between the PS1/N64 era to the PS2/GC/Xbox era, with the Dreamcast acting as the perfect symbol of this year in my opinion. 

Perhaps we should do a series of discussion topics on each of the 00s years?  Now is as good a time as any to really look back on each year.

Written By: 80sfan on 12/20/09 at 7:36 pm

Great year, but got dark personally for me starting in October.

Written By: 80sfan on 12/20/09 at 7:44 pm

Pop culture? Well, teen pop was everywhere! Britney, Nsync, BSBs, Jessica Simpson, Christina Aguilera, 98 degrees. But rap was slowly starting to make its way to dominance.

The last year of Bill Clinton. Sigh:.

The Boom years ended in March 2000.

And like everyone here has said so far, a very positive atmosphere for that year collectively.

Written By: joeman on 12/20/09 at 10:04 pm

I like to think of 2000 as being my own personal last year of innocence.  Such a nice, positive time in my youth.  Yeah, there were problems, but they were all fairly insignificant in retrospect.  It was elementary school, fifth and sixth grade and everything seemed so simple.  2000 was honestly one of the best years of my life  and this carried over into early 2001.

2000 was a also a great year for pop culture.  While I disliked the boy bands that were popular at the time, they are strangely nostalgic now and the Rock was good.  Some aspects of that year, like Limp Bizkit, have not aged well.  The movies were great.  Reality tv was just getting big and wasn't everywhere yet.  Video games were at a weird transition point between the PS1/N64 era to the PS2/GC/Xbox era, with the Dreamcast acting as the perfect symbol of this year in my opinion. 

Perhaps we should do a series of discussion topics on each of the 00s years?  Now is as good a time as any to really look back on each year.

Please do.  It would very interesting to read stories about the early-mid 00's.

Subject: 2005

Written By: batfan2005 on 12/21/09 at 7:13 am

As we are looking back at the decade as its coming to a close, I was wondering what are your thoughts about the year 2005. For me, it is one of my favorite years of the decade. I felt like it is one of the better years of this decade as far as pop-culture, especially compared to a lot of crappy and bland years. I remember being excited to go to the movies. As you can see by my username, my favorite movie of that year was Batman Begins, but I was also excited to see Star Wars Ep. III, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Fantastic Four, War of the Worlds, The Island, Dukes of Hazzard, and plenty of other movies. TV also started to get good again, as there were less reality shows and return of sitcoms, like the War at Home, the Office, and Everybody Hates Chris. Lost also became popular that year, even though it first premiered in 2004. 2005 was also the year I signed up for MySpace, and it increased in popularity that year, and YouTube at the end of the year. On the downside, that was the year we first started to see G.W. Bush's true colors, as he neglected to respond to the Hurricane Katrina situation in New Orleans.

Subject: Re: 2005

Written By: 80sfan on 12/21/09 at 7:51 am

I agree, pop culture wise it was very fun.

But my personal life was in shambles by this year because of my mental instability.

In the news: Katrina was the biggest story I think. And there was the 7/7 and 7/21 London bombings that summer.

Written By: joeman on 12/21/09 at 9:24 am

I was 20 years old at the time and I really did drinking, pot smoking, etc...  Not saying I wasted my years, but,,,  :D

I really did like the movies coming out at that time and I believe it was a start of Cartoon Networks Adult Swim.

Myspace at the time was getting really popular.  I remember people at parties suggesting I should get a Myspace because "Everyone is using them." 

The emo culture got big around that time too, I didn't understand it because I was out of High School few years before and I don't follow fashion(if you can even call it fashion). 

I liked the War at Home, and I thought the dad of the series was entertaining and underrated.  I also believe he is a rapper believe or not.

Written By: LyricBoy on 12/21/09 at 9:28 am

2000 rocked.

I expect much the same for 2010 too.

Rock on...

Written By: 435wtr on 12/21/09 at 11:36 am

I was 14 for most of 2005, and was a scared nervous freshmen for the second half of it ! Fun year though

Written By: Brian06 on 12/21/09 at 3:22 pm

It was a good year. Got my driver's license early in the year. Turned 18, graduated high school. TV Desperate Housewives, LOST, The Office, prime time game shows make a bit of a comeback at the end of the year with Deal or No Deal. Movies - Fantastic Four, War of the World, Sin City, Wedding Crashers, Batman Begins, 40 year old virgin, Star Wars 3. Musically the Green Day and Mariah Carey comebacks were the biggest stories of the year. "Boulevard of Broken Dreams" is probably the biggest rock song of the 2000s. Gwen Stefani had us saying "this sh*t is bananas". 50 Cent dominated rap, then faded afterwards. Rihanna debuted and went on to become a late 2000s pop sensation. Kelly Clarkson did very well and had several hits.

Written By: MrCleveland on 12/22/09 at 2:07 pm

The first half of 2005 was slow, but the second half was great!

My mom and dad were separated in the first half and I lived with my father. We made an attic door and attic space in our house as well as a bathroom that was unfinished. I also was dating someone and would go out on double dates since I was learning to drive and she couldn't drive since she was legally blind and their parents wanted to annul her wedding...but she loved the other guy and claimed me as a friend...what a (I_am_a_loser_who_has_no_respect_for_women)!

2005 ended slightly well and I hoped 2006 would be better...but it wasn't. 

Written By: sonikuu on 12/23/09 at 2:05 am

2005 was a very fun year for me.  I was in high school at the time and aside from a couple incidents in the spring, it was a good year for me personally.  

2005 also happens to be one of my favorite years for pop culture of the 00s.  Rock music really flourished in the second half of 2004 through into 2005, making it a banner year for music.  Rap wasn't good, but it was better than the overly cheesy Rap of 2006-2007, at least.  I also liked Kelly Clarkson's music, though as a guy associated with the Rock scene, I never could admit it.  It was also around this time that reality tv really started to die down on network tv in favor of more serious drama shows like Lost, a trend which I very much supported.  The Adult Swim block (my favorite part of tv in the 00s) was also going strong, not yet having turned into crap.  Video games-wise, while 2004 was better, 2005 had some good games, including Resident Evil 4, one of my favorite games of all time.  While 2005 wasn't the best movie year (2004 was a very good movie year), it still had plenty of high quality ones like Batman Begins and the best of the Star Wars prequels, Revenge of the Sith.

As you can probably tell, I really liked this year.

Subject: 2001

Written By: sonikuu on 12/23/09 at 2:23 am

In keeping with the recent topics on individual 00s years, I figured a discussion on 2001 was in order.  This was, in my opinion, easily the most important year of the 00s, so I think we could have a lot of discussion on this.

As far as my personal life goes, it was the end of innocence in the second half of the year.  Elementary school ended this year and the awkward junior high years began.  Most of my friends went off to other schools, so I was mostly alone starting out in junior high.  My school was a very clique-based one, as it was home to both poor kids from a nearby neighborhood and the rich kids from the upper-middle class gated community not too far away.  I never really fit into that clique-based culture, so I was kind of left out.  2002 and 2003 were the worst of it, though things got a hell of a lot better in 2004.  

Pop culture-wise, it was actually a decent year though.  It had some great moves like Lord of the Rings and Ocean's Eleven, although I personally think 2000 and 2002 are better.  Video games had one hell of a year in 2001, as the new generation of games truly began.  It was truly a banner year and the start of the modern gaming years.  GTA III and Halo became big hits and the old generation (N64, Dreamcast, etc.) faded away.  2001 was a bad year for network tv, as reality tv started to take over the airwaves, but cable tv was still good.  I also really got into anime this year, though I had been a casual fan before (I just didn't know it was called anime).  The music was okay, though it doesn't hold the nostalgia value that 2000 does for me.  It started to get a more Urban Rap/R&B feel, though the transition wasn't quite complete until 2003.

Events-wise, obviously this was the year that really started the 00s with 9/11, Bush, etc.  Almost everything going on in the world today can be traced to this year.

Subject: Re: 2001

Written By: 80sfan on 12/23/09 at 2:32 am

2001- Like alot of people said, 9/11 really set the tone for the rest of the decade.

Personal life: I moved to a new house. The same house I am living in today!

We are moving in 2010 though. Weird huh? New house, new decade.

Written By: Brian06 on 12/23/09 at 4:52 am

2001 was definitely a milestone year, this was the year the 21st century officially began and it felt like it too. I unofficially consider 2001 to be the beginning of my real teen years. The happier childhood years were over and the struggles of the early 21st century were in. Of course everything changed forever on that Tuesday in September and for the next few years there was that depressing "war on terror" atmosphere. TV I really only liked Who Wants To Be A Millionaire and it was fading by then and I watched some Survivor but actually I preferred watching classic sitcoms on Nick at Nite over most 2001 tv. Video gaming I had the Dreamcast at first and remember some of the cool games like Sonic, NFL 2K, Crazy Taxi. I got the Xbox when it came out, I remember waiting out in line with mom at Best Buy, Halo of course was amazing. Movies the first Lord of the Rings and the Harry Potter movies were definitely the top 2 most memorable. Music became my main interest and I listened to a lot of poppy urbanish stuff. I really liked Destiny's Child at the time. My most played songs by the end of the year were definitely getting urban leaning. It was a decent year for music, though tbh I probably prefer this year which actually was a pretty cool year for music.

Written By: joeman on 12/23/09 at 9:31 am

I really dislike this year...both personally and politically.

I had to transfer to other schools as I got in trouble one day for saying something wrong to somebody.  When I got to my other school, I was with this one girl whom she started to have not one, but two sex partners.  It was freaking surreal.  I meant some new friends along the way and I got a chance to learn more about life outside of school.

I remember exactly when 9/11 happened.  What was funny was that a friend of mine sort of predicted this coming.  Everybody was in shock, and we all left our school duties to watch the news.  My sister's birthday was on 9/11 and she wasn't too proud of it.  Over the next few months, I started reading books about Afghanistan and found out that the US had plans to install an oil line between Pakistan and Armenia.  I was outraged, because something didn't seemed right in George W's speeches.

As far as pop culture goes, I was an avid MTV fan but was listening to the Post-Grunge music at the time.  Creed was my favorite band, due to their alleged Christian bearings in their lyrics.  I remember watching MTV after 9/11, a lot of bands teamed up and started playing acoustically.  For a second there I thought they were going to gather around and sing "We are the World" lol.

I was 16 in 2001, and I loss my sense of innocence when I was 9 but this year made me really cynical for a couple of years.

Written By: LyricBoy on 12/23/09 at 2:30 pm

For me, 2001 was kinda cool.  But as the decade progressed, things got cooler and cooler.

I hope the same for the decade of the 10's.  :)

Written By: MrCleveland on 12/23/09 at 2:36 pm

I LOVED 2001. Next to 1996, this was the best damn year for me.

I too got effected by 9/11. Not only it would change America, but things in my life would change.

Subject: 2007

Written By: LyricBoy on 12/23/09 at 3:30 pm

While we're enumerating the years of the decade, what were y'all doing in 2007 ("ought 7" that is).  ???

In January 07 I had my knee operated on, and dealt with swelling and pain for the next several months.  :-[

Written By: Davester on 12/23/09 at 4:13 pm

I too got effected by 9/11. Not only it would change America, but things in my life would change.

There's a bunch of dead Iraqi people who would like a word with you...

As long as I'm here, 2001 sucked...

Subject: Re: 2007

Written By: Red Ant on 12/23/09 at 10:54 pm

Hmm, '07 - writing parodies, much slower rate than '06. Started recording parodies. Switched jobs mid-year, left hotel maint to do communications cabling install. Leaving hotel maintenance was good - I loved the work but hated the mgmt switch. Going into comm work was good, just wished I had picked a better person to work for. Either way, both jobs have gone away as hotels are off another 30% from last year and construction is in the dumper.  :-\\

Ant

Subject: 2002

Written By: sonikuu on 12/24/09 at 2:36 am

Yet another year topic.  I kind of wish we did these in order, but I suppose it's working well so far.  In any case, here we go with 2002.

Personal life sucked.  2002 was the year I entered 8th grade, the worst grade I've ever experienced.  The only positive side, other than some of the pop culture items that I'll mention in a bit, was that I did some soul searching this year.  I did a lot of research on world religions, political beliefs, etc. in an attempt to really "find myself", if you will.  Pretty advanced stuff for a junior high student, since most people don't even do this, if they do, until high school or college.

Pop culture, I thought the movies and video games were both great.  I remember shooting games, which are very popular today, started to really gain steam this year thanks to last year's GTA III and Halo.  Network TV was absolute crap around this time as the reality tv bubble started to get out of control.  I spent most of my time watching Cartoon Network (Toonami + Adult Swim = awesome), South Park, Jackass, Iron Chef, and what anime I could get a hold of.  The music I think is actually very bland, for the most part.  It's not particularly bad, it just lacks identity.  It doesn't fit in the 1999-2000ish era, but it's not the mid-00s era.  I didn't really keep in touch with music at this time, so it doesn't hold much value to me.  2002 was also a very depressing year with the current events.  Late 2001 to 2003 were a very depressing time - 9/11, anthrax, Afghanistan, buildup to Iraq, SARS, Space Shuttle Columbia disaster, etc.

Personally I didn't like 2002 very much.  It's a bland year with a bad personal life.  At least the movies and video games were good.

Written By: sonikuu on 12/24/09 at 2:56 am

This was the year I graduated high school!  I had a very easy senior year and my Government class was one of the most fun classes I ever had in high school, if only because of our opportunities to occasionally spend half the class goofing off with the teacher taking part in the fun.   I then had a pretty good summer and went on to college.  I really liked this year as it was an important transition period in my life and it was a very good year as well.  While I was into politics before, I really got in depth into it this year and this carried over into 2008.  I recall several Republican presidential candidates dismissing any notion of economic decline as nonsense.  I also got the job that I currently have now, though I don't particularly care for it today.

Pop culture-wise, 2007 was a good year.  It was the best year for games since 2004, with a killer lineup that really got the new generation's ball going.  Movies were a mixture of awesomeness (300, Superbad, etc.) and disappointing sequels (Spiderman 3, POTC 3, Shrek 3), but it was certainly eventful.  I thought music was very good this year, with a lot of good Rock releases.  I thought the Top 40 music was really good for the first half, with the increased popularity of "Timbaland-style" Dance-Pop, but it declined in the second half as Rap gained a revival in popularity with crap like Soulja Boy.  TV-wise, it was good, though I recall being highly disappointed with 24's newest season and Heroes' second season.  It was a very good year for anime over in Japan, with some of the best shows of the decade airing at some point in 2007. 

Clearly a standout year that I will remember fondly.  You gotta love the year you graduated high school, right?

Subject: Re: 2002

Written By: Davester on 12/24/09 at 3:34 am

2002 sucked nearly as bad as 2001, none of the suckage having to do with mass entertainment, but with mass upheaval in my personal life...

But the pop culture stuff I can barely recall.  I was watching the hell out of some Animal Planet - Stevie Irwin and Jeff Corwin.  Another show modeled after COPS but involving the New York SPCA rescuing pets from abuse and neglect.  Spongebob Squarepants was my new favorite animated show.  Mostly I was either working or looking for work.  My first experience with unemployment happened in 2002, due to my quitting a good paying job with good bennies because it sucked...

Written By: Brian06 on 12/24/09 at 6:34 am

2007 was alright, the main event in my personal life was going to Europe which was a great experience. There were some great movies like Knocked Up, Transformers, Superbad, No Country for Old Men, Juno. What sucked about 2007 is I think the music was probably the worst of the 00s, the Timbaland stuff yeah that was decent (though I don't really like Give It To Me at all anymore) but I remember a lot of really horrible stuff on the radio (Soulja Boy, MIMS, T-Pain, Shop Boyz, Sean Kingston,  Nickelback's excruciatingly terrible "Rockstar", Fall Out Boy still being popular, Hurricane Chris) of course that bad stuff is now forgotten mostly while people remember the No Ones, Irreplaceables, Umbrellas, Apologizes, etc. which were certainly good songs but I guess the bad stuff was like the lowest of the low.

Written By: joeman on 12/24/09 at 10:05 am

2007...Wow that was 2 years ago and I really can't remember that year.  Thank you drinking and smoking!  :D

Finished College and couldn't find a job that suited my career.  I was working for a bad company with low pay.  Had an apartment complex in the worst place you could have in Tampa.

I didn't follow music that music to be honest with you.  Finger Eleven's Paralyzer was a good song that I got really into and so was the new Ozzy Osbourne single.  As far as rap goes, well I gave that up in 2000, but I know people who listened to it.  I thought it was the most annoying piece of **** I have ever heard.

Like Brian, I liked Superbad and Juno, as both were good movies.  Thought Transformers were ok, and watched No Country for Old Men a year later. 

Written By: MrCleveland on 12/24/09 at 10:06 am

One of the worst years that I ever had in my life! Between April and June, my family had custody of four kids that we know from our church and things were slightly difficult. To this day, I sworn-off of having children and that's why I would drink Mountain Dew and wear Jockeys since both cut back your sperm!

But on the lighter side...I had my first job and the summer wasn't half-bad.

Written By: 90steen on 12/24/09 at 10:08 am

2005 was a good year for me, it was my last fun party year. Very pop-culturefied, especially in the summer. That's the year I learned about emo, Myspace, and youtube.

Written By: MrCleveland on 12/24/09 at 10:10 am

This was what I called "The Year of Death".

In the Winter of 2007, my grandfather died at the age of 70. This affected the whole year and my brother who would get married...realized that his fiance wanted to see other people. Which meant she was! And to top that off...I was unemployed throughout the entire year!

And until this year, this has been the worst year ever! In a way, it still is but 2009 was the worst!

Written By: 90steen on 12/24/09 at 10:14 am

2007. A year I'd like to forget. Personally and culturally.

Subject: 2003

Written By: joeman on 12/24/09 at 10:22 am

Lets roll with this last minute 00's nostalgia!

Anyways, 2003 seemed, for me, the last year of the era that spanned from the 1997 to then(though you can make a good claim that the era ended year or two before). 

That being said, I finished HS and was on my way to college.  I was living at home at the time, so I had no worries about making end's meat.  I also worked at Best Buy, which to say was great because of the discounts.  While the economy was great, people, including myself, hated the war on Iraq and the silly rhetorical comments made by Bush in order for us to go behind him. 

The music, well a lot of bands that created the late 90's/early 00's era is now gone.  Creed, Korn, Stone Temple Pilots, to new a few, broken up.  Dimebag Darrel from Pantera was dead.  I hated 50 cent with the passion and I thought Rap was steering its ugly head in a dance rap direction which got amplified 4 years later. 

The movies were hit and miss.  Thought Freddy vs Jason sucked.  I enjoyed the Lord of the Ring series along with the X-Men sequel. 

Subject: Re: 2003

Written By: MrCleveland on 12/24/09 at 12:22 pm

2003 started slow, but picked up very fast.

That was the first year that I thought about driving seriously.

Written By: Davester on 12/24/09 at 1:25 pm

^  Spend a lot of time in hot tubs, too.  Those rascals don't like too much heat...

Written By: sonikuu on 12/24/09 at 2:30 pm

2003 is a year I have mixed feelings about.  On the one hand, my personal life sucked right up until the last month or so.  Up until November/December, it was easily one of the worst years I've had and I'd prefer not to go back to that.  I used to have zero nostalgia for this year, but in retrospect it had some merits.  It's my least favorite 00s year along with 2002, but it wasn't completely terrible.  I'd never go back to living in it though. 

Movie-wise, 2003 was actually fairly strong.  Good stuff like Kill Bill, Return of the King, Pirates of the Caribbean (the other two sucked though), etc.  Video game-wise, it was easily one of the weakest years of the decade.  It wasn't a total loss, but several high-profile games and sequels wound up being complete disappointments and the worst in their series.  I guess we needed a break after a great 2001 and 2002.  TV, I just kept watching what I watched in 2002 as reality tv still kept dominating network tv and was spreading to cable by this point.  This is the peak of the reality tv genre in popularity and it shows with all the crap that was getting made. The "Anime Boom" was beginning to reach it's peak around this point with an anime sequence in Kill Bill, an anime winning the Academy Award for Best Animated Movie, and the Animatrix project (remember when people were still excited over Matrix Reloaded?) symbolizing that.  Musically...well, it has some merits, but the Rap brings back some bad memories at times and that was the dominant genre.  Not the best music year in my opinion.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/24/09 at 2:44 pm

If there was one year I live all over again, I wouldn't mind if it was 2003.

Granddaughter #1 was born in Aug.

18 Oct, 2003 was the BEST day of my entire life. That was the day I married my best friend. 6 years later and no regrets. I would do it all over again in a heartbeat.

Cat

Written By: abe on 12/24/09 at 3:42 pm

When you think about it, 2007 had a totally different feel to it than 2009.

Written By: batfan2005 on 12/24/09 at 8:30 pm

2003 is a year I have mixed feelings about.  On the one hand, my personal life sucked right up until the last month or so.  Up until November/December, it was easily one of the worst years I've had and I'd prefer not to go back to that.  I used to have zero nostalgia for this year, but in retrospect it had some merits.  It's my least favorite 00s year along with 2002, but it wasn't completely terrible.  I'd never go back to living in it though. 

Movie-wise, 2003 was actually fairly strong.  Good stuff like Kill Bill, Return of the King, Pirates of the Caribbean (the other two sucked though), etc.  Video game-wise, it was easily one of the weakest years of the decade.  It wasn't a total loss, but several high-profile games and sequels wound up being complete disappointments and the worst in their series.  I guess we needed a break after a great 2001 and 2002.  TV, I just kept watching what I watched in 2002 as reality tv still kept dominating network tv and was spreading to cable by this point.  This is the peak of the reality tv genre in popularity and it shows with all the crap that was getting made. The "Anime Boom" was beginning to reach it's peak around this point with an anime sequence in Kill Bill, an anime winning the Academy Award for Best Animated Movie, and the Animatrix project (remember when people were still excited over Matrix Reloaded?) symbolizing that.  Musically...well, it has some merits, but the Rap brings back some bad memories at times and that was the dominant genre.  Not the best music year in my opinion.

I kind of felt the same way about 2003. My personal life wasn't so great that year, as I had one thing go wrong after another. The year started off with getting dumped by my girlfriend in the first week (and after possibly and likely getting cheated on by her). That and a bunch of other events made me very bitter that year. Also the Iraq War was a conflict in my mind, as I was in the military and active in church (two places where I was surrounded by conservatives who supported Bush and the war), so I went along with them even though deep down my conscious was against it. Also, I remember how much they were angry at the French and replaced the word French with "Freedom" (freedom fries, freedom toast, etc.)

The pop-culture of 2003 is what prevented it from being my least favorite year (which is actually 2006). I didn't care for the reality tv craze that was popular at the time, but I liked the music of that year, such as Outkast, 50 Cent, Jay-Z, Monica, R. Kelly and a few others. The movies were decent too. As for video games, I only had a Gamecube at the time and my favorite game of the year is Zelda: Windwaker. F-Zero GX and Warioworld are good too, though I didn't buy them until 2004.

Written By: batfan2005 on 12/24/09 at 8:41 pm

2002 is one of my least favorite years. The first 3 months of the year were especially the worst. There was also the Post 9/11 depression that seemed to impact everyone. Even the music had a depressing feel to it. What gives me the worst memory is when I had insomnia, which messed with my mind. I also had bad luck with dating that year, like with this one girl that tortured me by keeping me in the friend zone, and another girl that made our last date look like a bad "Blind Date" episode, which is a show that I watched a lot at the time. TV was mostly crap that year as it was during the reality TV hype with shows such as the Bachelor. The year had a few decent movies, like Spiderman and Minority Report. With video games, there were a lot of good games for the Gamecube, such as Super Mario Sunshine, Star Fox Adventures, and Metroid Prime. Things started to improve in the later half of the year, when I took a trip to NYC and subsequently got in a relationship, but the relationship went bad a few months later, and you can see my post in the 2003 thread for how it ended up.

Written By: batfan2005 on 12/24/09 at 8:45 pm

2007 was an improvement from 2006, but that's not saying much. 2007 had some good music, like Timbaland, Kanye West, The-Dream, and Rihanna, and had some good movies like 300, Transformers, I Am Legend, American Gangster, and Superbad. That was the year I got married and went on our honeymoon in Cabo, and the marriage pretty much went downhill after that (we separated in 2009).

Written By: Christie Marie M on 12/24/09 at 8:50 pm

I kind of felt the same way about 2003. My personal life wasn't so great that year, as I had one thing go wrong after another. The year started off with getting dumped by my girlfriend in the first week (and after possibly and likely getting cheated on by her). That and a bunch of other events made me very bitter that year. Also the Iraq War was a conflict in my mind, as I was in the military and active in church (two places where I was surrounded by conservatives who supported Bush and the war), so I went along with them even though deep down my conscious was against it. Also, I remember how much they were angry at the French and replaced the word French with "Freedom" (freedom fries, freedom toast, etc.)

The pop-culture of 2003 is what prevented it from being my least favorite year (which is actually 2006). I didn't care for the reality tv craze that was popular at the time, but I liked the music of that year, such as Outkast, 50 Cent, Jay-Z, Monica, R. Kelly and a few others. The movies were decent too. As for video games, I only had a Gamecube at the time and my favorite game of the year is Zelda: Windwaker. F-Zero GX and Warioworld are good too, though I didn't buy them until 2004.

I can relate to your relationship problem very well back in 2003. I can never stop thinking about him and never forgotten they way he dumped me. Like your girlfriend, this boyfriend I had cheated on me. But then I realized that I had more friends to hang out with when I was still in college.

Written By: Christie Marie M on 12/24/09 at 8:52 pm

I really wished that I could go back to 2007. It was such a great year. I had a good relationship with one of my former co-workers. I also got to see Lochlyn Munro for the first time in Daddy Day Camp. That was also the time I was able to work at two great jobs such as Bank of Tokyo and Baird Industries.

Subject: 2004

Written By: batfan2005 on 12/24/09 at 8:57 pm

No one has started a 2004 thread yet, so I'll go ahead and start one. 2004 was a pretty good year for me, and the first good year since 2000. After living through late 2001-2003 which was highlighted by 9/11 and the Iraq War and everyone seemed depressed, 2004 was like the light at the end of the tunnel, especially in my personal life. I had a girlfriend most of the year who I thought was nice at first, but we broke up in 2005. We took a fun road trip that summer. The music of that year was good, like with Usher, Kanye West, Black Eyed Peas, Maroon 5, Pitbull, Alicia Keys, and Chingy. I also remember the elections in which I had a difficult time deciding who to vote for, but I ended up voting for Kerry, which I'm glad I did so I didn't have to feel responsible for what was to come. 2004 was a feel-good optimistic year, which is why I thought Bush got re-elected. The economy was booming that year, and my optimism caused me to make the mistake of purchasing an over-priced real estate property in SoCal, which subsequently dropped about 60% in property value.

Subject: 2006

Written By: batfan2005 on 12/24/09 at 9:08 pm

2006 is my least favorite year of this decade, although 2002 and 2003 are close. My personal life was mostly bad, except for the time I got promoted and engaged. Mainly at work was when I was the most bitter and frustrated, since I didn't get along with most of my coworkers. I especially didn't like the pop-culture of that year, which is what made it my least favorite year. At least in 2003 when things were going bad I still had good music to listen to. In 2006 I got tired of hearing "You're Beautiful" by James Blunt, since the radio stations played it 50 times a day for the whole year. I didn't care for a lot of other songs that year either. As I'm normally a big fan of hip-hop and R&B, there weren't many good songs of those genres that year. The movies of 2006 weren't that good either, and did not live up to 2005. My favorite movies of '06 were Pink Panther, Superman Returns, Night at the Museum, Borat, Departed, and Pursuit of Happiness, and even those weren't that great. The two best things that came out in 2006 were the Wii and Playstation 3.

Subject: Re: 2006

Written By: 435wtr on 12/24/09 at 9:17 pm

2006 was one of my favorite years of this decade, that spring I vacationed in Sydney, Australia, that summer I moved back to the United States, and that fall I entered my sophomore year of high school.

Written By: paradigm on 12/24/09 at 10:44 pm

Wasn't a bad year for me actually, 2006 may have been the most life-changing year of this decade as well as my personal experience goes. The summer of '06 was one of the best ever because I traveled to England and France. When I returned, we went to El Paso for a funeral, and went into Mexico while we were there. So I visited more foreign countries than I ever have in the span of 3 weeks. I also smoked weed for the first time, and had a huge crush on the chick who smoked me out. Oh, high school...

Popular music and movies weren't really in my realm of interest, but I did see Borat that year on Thanksgiving and got a kick out of it. I played in a band and saw a lot of great shows. Yeah, 2006 was good year. 2005 probably sucked more in my experiences  :P. But of course this depends on the person. Personally, I don't think I cared much about the Wii/Ps3 because I still haven't bothered to get either. Only have my Ps2, I'm stuck in 2000.

Written By: Hendrix on 12/24/09 at 11:50 pm

24. Season 5. Made the entire year. Kind of a boring year for me personally, but that season kicked ass so much it's become a good year.

Subject: Re: The 2000s - Decade In Review

Written By: Davester on 12/25/09 at 12:23 am

I took the liberty of merging all of the many '00s critiques into one handy, take along pouch to reduce the clutter.  So please post your years-in-review in this thread.  I'll unstick it next year...

Merry Christmas..!

:)

Written By: vos on 12/25/09 at 6:20 pm

i think musically it was a great decade with a lot of fresh rockbands like the strokes,white stripes, libertines, arctic monkeys, kaiser chiefs, franz ferdinand and so on
while acts like coldplay, radiohead, oasis, queens of the stone age or foo fighters kept on making decent records
musically for me there was a raw garage rock era starting with the strokes in 2001 evolving in a more 80s influenced rock late 00s which probably leads us into early 10s
2000 was more late 90s to me

personally 2003 and 2004 were sheeshyears to me, dad getting sick & dieing
2005 onwards things started to get better for me

Written By: MrCleveland on 12/26/09 at 9:40 am

2000 and 2001 were great!

But once 9/11 happened...things were never the same, I got into the adult world and I feel like I'm less of a man at that time.

I wish 2010 would be better.

Written By: tv on 12/26/09 at 6:16 pm

My take on the 00's and memorable moments:

I thought 2001-mid 2007 was alright music wise and mood wise for me. Than music got crappier, I feel September 2007-till maybe August or September 2009 maybe had alot of crap music. I remember in 2007 and 2008 summers I used to go to Seaside Heights(the Jersey Shore) a few times each summer. I remember going to the Basketball Hall Of Fame in Springfield, Massachusetts in Spring of 2008(what a great place) and the New York Giants winning the Super Bowl in the same year and beating the undefeated New England Patriots in that game. I remember watching Game 1(1st round of  of the 2008 NBA playoffs)Phoenix Suns-San Antonio Spurs on TV and that was one of the basketball games I've ever seen played. I mean 7 foot Tim Duncan hit a bank shot 3 pointer to send the game into a first overtime! The 2002 NBA Western Conference Finals was one of the best playoffs series ever played with the Sacramento Kings and the Lakers. I mean what is early 00's noglastia without mentioning the Lakers-Kings rivalry?

I remember I was on vacation this summer in Atlantic City and I heard Michael Jackson died I was stunned I couldn;t sleep that night in the hotel. Does anybody remember R&B singers Aaliyahs death back in August of 2001? That was pretty sad. I thought Barack Obama winning the presidency was a big deal because he was first black president in our history. Of course 9/11 sticks in the back of our all mind as well.

Written By: 80sfan on 12/26/09 at 9:34 pm

2000 was great, but since it was 9 years ago I might be seeing it in rose-colored glasses.  ;D
2001- Another great year. And no, I am not being subjective.
2002- Boring and normal.
2003-2004- The best years this decade after 2008.
2005- Fun year for pop culture.
2006- Horrible year, the worse for me!
2007- Boring overall, but the summer saves it from being as bad as 2006.
2008- Great, a very optimistic year for me. Best year of this decade for me!
2009- The worse year ever for me. Not just for this decade, but of ALL time for me.

2010- I sense it will be better! Family is planning to move to a new house.

Written By: Christie Marie M on 12/26/09 at 10:15 pm

2000- I turned 20 that year!  ;D Strange at first. I was crushing on another guy in spite of the fact that I already had a boyfriend that time. Went to the Philippines.
2001- My first taste of alcohol. My high school boyfriend and I break up that year. But it was for the best.
2002- Found myself a new guy. We spent that whole summer together. Graduated from Essex County College with an AS Degree in Business Administration. In the fall, I was depressed over this boyfriend who dumped me after I transferred to Montclair State University.
2003- Still depressed over losing Mark, my ECC boyfriend. Befriended a Japanese Exchange student who's got a cute and charming personality. Went to Six Flags with my best friends from Montclair State University.
2004- Another new guy. I said goodbye to Mark forever! This year couldn't get any better. Great and happy year for me.
2005- Graduated MSU with a Bachelor's Degree in Business Management. Great year, but I was unhappy with my job at Shop Rite. Went to Canada to see my relatives. Got a new dog.
2006- Went to CDM Institute. Got my Talking Heads Little Creatures CD. A very great year.
2007- Worked at Bank of Tokyo as a temp and made new friends there who are very loyal to me. Another happy year for me.
2008- Great year for me. I discovered actor Lochlyn Munro from Daddy Day Camp. Worked in St. Joseph's Hospital, Iron Mountain, and Amcor as a temp secretary. Wish I could go back to that year.
2009- This year could be better for me if I didn't have any problems. I couldn't find a single job and had been unemployed for a very long time.  >:(

2010- Hopefully it would turn out better for me.

Subject: 2009

Written By: joeman on 12/27/09 at 12:13 am

2009 was an interesting and pivotal year for me, even though it was very weak pop culture wise.  I really haven't followed pop culture since 2002/2003 though I do listen the 'modern rock' station which half of the songs came from the 90's/early 00's.  I did like the news shows from USA like Burn Notice and Royal Pains. 

First half of the decade was fine.  I was going to a lot of bars and had a good time(some night were better than others if you get my drift).  Got really depressing around May, because that was when my job decided to cut my pay and eventually fired me a few months later.

Had to move out of the apartment along with my room-mates (moved to their parents like me).  Felt like less of a man, and things got worse when I had a car accident and was broke until recently.  I'm 24 years old, and I went through some thought phases where I thought I didn't achieve what I needed at that point of my life.  A couple of weeks ago, I came to a conclusion that I should love the things I have now, instead of worrying about what I don't have. 

I am feeling better now, and I am really hoping that in the 10's, I can turn everything around and progress as much as I am able to.  The thing is to work hard for the change to happen, and I think the 10's might bring in a new order of things(for better or worse for anybody).

Written By: LyricBoy on 12/30/09 at 8:57 am

2000 Sucked
2001 Blew
2002 Rocked
2003 Kicked Azz
2004 Sucked
2005 Kinda sucked
2006 The Cats Meow
2007 1st half blew, 2nd half rocked
2008 Sucked
2009 Blew

All in all, a pretty good decade, it rocked.  8)

Written By: DJ Blaze on 12/31/09 at 7:35 pm

Well...... the 00's have been the majority of my life... so, I guess they were pretty cool. I kind of shunned modern music in favor of Dad's classic rock, Mom's singers/songwriters, and my bro's alternative and metal. TV was cool... I loved Spongebob, anime shows, and ripoffs of Power Rangers. However, most of my fave movies, besides animated ones, were not in the 00s.

Well, that's the media.

Written By: 80sfan on 01/01/10 at 1:52 am

Now that the decade is officially over.

2009 was a bad year for me, but December was the only good part of the year.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 01/05/10 at 4:08 am

And for my first post in 2010...

Let's see:

2000: It was a good year, the last year I really felt like a 'kid'. I'd give it an easy 9/10.
2001: Began to mature, started to form new friends. First year in which study became more difficult. 7/10.
2002: Boring, much like 2001. 7/10.
2003: Final year of high school, good times, also the year I turned 18. 10/10.
2004: Start of 'adult life', good year, quite successful. 9/10.
2005: Independence, moving out of home, then back again. Struggled a bit at university, ended up quitting. 6/10.
2006: Lousy, broke, no money, etc. 5/10.
2007: Began new university course. Finally things start to look up again for a bit. First time overseas. 7/10.
2008: Much the same as '07. 7/10.
2009: Busy year, finished studies, worked, not much time for much else. Made a couple of awesome new friends. 8/10.

As far as music, tv and movies is concerned:

2000-2002: Was heavily into punk & alternative rock music. Favourite movies and tv shows were comedies or action movies, can't think of names.
2003-2004: New interest in classic rock, metal and indie. Small sci-fi phase.
2005-2009: Probably my favourite era in the 2000s for modern music, especially indie rock. Shows like Arrested Development, The Office, House, It's Always Sunny.., etc. make TV worthwhile again.

Written By: karen on 01/05/10 at 7:56 am

And for my first post in 2010...

Welcome back Luke

Subject: Re: 2000 - 2003

Written By: Stompgal on 02/21/10 at 3:31 pm

I remember the 2000s very fondly. Here are my most memorable moments of the decade:

2000: I turned 13 on 17th May and went to my first Steps concert in Birmingham to celebrate. My maternal grandmother died from lung cancer at the age of 63 exactly a month later. I got my first ever mobile phone for Christmas.

2001: Shortly after starting my GCSE courses at high school, I heard the terrible news about the terrorist attacks on 11th September. I went to another Steps concert ten days before they announced their split.

2002: I continued with my GCSE courses and got what I've always wanted for my 15th birthday: a Sony PlayStation 2. It got broken seven months later but I eventually got a new one.

2003: I sat my GCSE exams and got good results. During the School Summer Holidays, I worked in a charity shop. When I returned to school in September in Year 12 (first year of Sixth Form), I became really depressed and decided that my AS Levels were too hard and not appropriate with what I wanted to do in the future (my ambition at the time was to become an animator/cartoonist). I left school in November and started going to a part-time adult class.

Written By: amjikloviet on 02/22/10 at 8:18 pm

The late 00s were better than the early 00s to me, best years for me were 2005 to 2009.

Written By: Brian06 on 02/22/10 at 9:53 pm

The 2000s had their ups and downs. I think world events were on the crappy side. We all know about 9/11 and how it basically changed things forever. I'm sure to many gen yers anything pre 9/11 is kinda like the good old days for us. The '90s had their bad events and I recall several of them, but there was definitely I think more of a positive attitude in the '90s as we approached the 21st century, all that crashed down before my eyes on September 11, 2001.

Recessions and wars followed and the war on terror completely overshadowed the first half of the decade especially. Oddly the 2001-2003 period which was terrible for world events was generally a good period for my personal life. I have good memories of waiting in line for the first Xbox and playing Halo at the end of 2001. Now in 2010 those days too seem a while off to me. My favorite part of the 00s not counting 2000 is probably right in the middle around 2004 and 2005. I have good memories of listening to the radio in the car back in 04. That was probably the most upbeat part of the 21st century so far (post 9/11) and I'd say the best for pop culture.

My favorite music throughout most of the decade was basically pop and r&b stuff that people love to hate as I've said before I have a liking for this seemingly meaningless fluff because it makes me forget about whatever bad crap is going on.

Subject: Re: 2004 - 2006

Written By: Stompgal on 02/24/10 at 5:08 am

Here's what happened in my life between 2004 and 2006:

2004: I made a fresh start to the year by starting college in January. I studied a BTEC First Diploma Course in Multimedia and Animation. That summer, I suffered from a hypomanic episode. In September, I continued with my diploma.

2005: I celebrated my 18th birthday and completed my diploma. In the summer, I attended an arts centre called 'The Pilot Project' (now called The Compass Project) volunteered at a leisure scheme, despite suffering from another hypomanic episode. In September, I started the BTEC National Diploma in Multimedia but I didn't complete it due to mental illness and aggressive behaviour. I started doing more part-time adult education courses in November after leaving college and in December, I stayed in a mental health unit at hospital for three nights.

2006: I continued with my Pilot Project attendance and part time courses until July when I left Newport and moved to London to live in a care home for adults on the autistic spectrum. At the beginning of the year I was initially going to move to Weston-Super-Mare but I changed my mind and decided to move to London instead.

Written By: Starde on 03/02/10 at 11:01 am

The late 00s were better than the early 00s to me, best years for me were 2005 to 2009.

The exact opposite for me. I definitely thought the early 00s was better than the late 00s. The best memories that I had from this decade was definitely from 2000-2003. Hell, even some of 2004. The late 00s overall was just too s***** for me.

Subject: Re: 2007 - 2009

Written By: Stompgal on 03/10/10 at 3:32 pm

Here are my most memorable moments from 2007 - 2009:

2007: I hit my 20s and to celebrate, I visited Brighton for the day. I completed the first year of my BTEC National Diploma at my second college but didn't return to do the second year due to constant disruptive behaviour from other students. That September, I started two part-time courses in Radio Drama and Needlecraft at the Artsdepot in North Finchley.

2008: My parents bought a dog in January; a female Blenheim Cavalier King Charles Spaniel that they named Jasmine. I celebrated my 21st birthday by spending some of it with my grandfather and going out for a meal with my fellow housemates in the evening. I went to Salou in North East Spain with most of my housemates and some of the support staff. In July, I completed my Radio Drama and Needlecraft courses. In September I started part-time courses in Bookbinding, Jewellery, Creative Embroidery and Calligraphy.

2009: This year sucked for celebrity deaths (Jade Goody, Natasha Richardson, Michael Jackson, Stephen Gateley and Brittany Murphy were the most shocking deaths of them all) but rocked for my life in general. I completed my courses in July and in September, I continued with Calligraphy and Creative Embroidery. Two new courses I started were General Art and Writing for Children.

Check for new replies or respond here...