inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The end of DVDs.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 12/20/09 at 12:54 am

I have a bold prediction, that DVDs are going to go the way of VHS, Bata, and Laserdisc, by the end of 2010.

Why?  Currently, Blu Ray is starting to becoming the dominant format at the moment, and fewer DVDs have extras, let alone commentary tracks, when they do get released currently.

Subject: Re: The end of DVDs.

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/20/09 at 1:54 am

Not over here in the UK, Blu-Ray is very expensive and I cannot see everyone changing their machines to purchase more expensive items.

Written By: joeman on 12/20/09 at 2:08 am

I say when Blue-Ray-Drives/Burners become affordable is when DVD is getting the axe.

Written By: LyricBoy on 12/20/09 at 7:56 am

I saw the writing on the wall when they started calling the DVD-Digital Video Disc instead the "Digital Versatile Disc".

Sounded to me like somebody knew the distribution of video on disc was not going to be a long term proposition.

Written By: whistledog on 12/20/09 at 9:27 am

If DVDs do go the wayside, the Xbox 360 may lose the console war as the PS3 fully supports Blu-Rays, the 360 does not.

When the now defunct HD DVD was still in the market, it was supported by XBox 360 consoles, but in order to play one, you had to get an add-on that cost about $130.  The PS3 can play Blu-Rays directly without any add-ons, thus Blu-Ray = 1.  HD DVD = 0.  That was pretty much the end for the HD DVD, right there.

As it stands now, the DVD is still too widely sold to just stop dead.  They'd have to phase them out slowly by lowering the cost of Blu-Ray players and the discs themselves.  Older movies that get released on Blu-Ray can get quite expensive.  I bought 'Silverado' on Blu-Ray for $37+tax, whereas I could have gotten it on DVD for under $15.  I loved that movie, so I paid the high price, but would I do that for every movie?  Uh, no! 

As long as the PS3 and the 360 can still play DVDs, the DVD will still be sold.  Look how long it took audio cassette tapes to fully phase out.  I still saw them in stores as late as 2001 (The last one I can recall seeing was ELV1S - 30 #1 hits), and even VHS movies, though new ones are no longer being produced (apart from Blank tapes), I still see people in thrift stores and used CD shops buying shedloads of them. 

Written By: LyricBoy on 12/20/09 at 10:38 am

I guess it's a good thing that I did not buy one of those combo TvDVD things six years ago when I bought my TV.

8)

Written By: ChuckyG on 12/20/09 at 1:08 pm

Not really likely.. I'd say five or more years at least.  The selection on Blu-ray is still very small and a couple recent releases have even been including the DVD to help spur the sale of the Blu-ray version instead of the DVD.

Written By: Hendrix47 on 12/20/09 at 6:36 pm

I really don't want to have to start a whole new film collection.

Written By: ChuckyG on 12/21/09 at 12:21 am

I really don't want to have to start a whole new film collection.

Why would you?  I've still got a hundred VHS tapes at least.  I've ripped most to DVD at this point, just to make sure when they break I can still watch them.  Even if I bought a Bluray player tomorrow, I've got stuff I know will never see a release on the format at any point. 

Written By: Davester on 12/21/09 at 12:03 pm

Why would you?  I've still got a hundred VHS tapes at least.  I've ripped most to DVD at this point, just to make sure when they break I can still watch them.  Even if I bought a Bluray player tomorrow, I've got stuff I know will never see a release on the format at any point. 

Which is precisely the reason why my old, trusty VCR remains on the shelf immediately beneath the DVD player on the entertainment center, even though I rarely use it.  At THIS point every pre-recorded flick I can't live without has already made the jump to DVD (I was waiting for Becket, Masada miniseries and a few others) but it's all those obscure documentaries and other odd stuff that I recorded off of TV, and cannot find anywhere else, that has given the VCR a new lease on life...

Written By: DJ Blaze on 12/21/09 at 1:23 pm

I have a DVD player, but my VCR broke, and the DVD player is hooked up to it, so no DVDs until I get a new VCR. My bro's PS3 has Blu-Ray, but I am worried that DVDs will be extinct soon... so anime collections on Blu-Ray will be even more insanely priced compared to DVD!

Written By: whistledog on 12/21/09 at 8:45 pm

All you really need is a VCR and a Blu-Ray Player (or PS3) and you got all the major bases covered.  Of course, if you also want a Betamax, a Laser Disc player and a HD DVD player, then you have some serious issues LOL

To me, the quality of DVD vs. Blu-Ray doesn't really make a difference, so in many aspects, it's not worth it to dump your DVDs and get the Blu-Ray versions.  I am doing it simply because the casing of the Blu-Ray disc is smaller in size

Written By: Davester on 12/21/09 at 10:54 pm

To me, the quality of DVD vs. Blu-Ray doesn't really make a difference, so in many aspects, it's not worth it to dump your DVDs and get the Blu-Ray versions.  I am doing it simply because the casing of the Blu-Ray disc is smaller in size

Disposable income rules..!

Written By: MrCleveland on 12/22/09 at 2:12 pm

Will TV Series be on Blu-Ray?

Written By: whistledog on 12/23/09 at 6:24 am

Will TV Series be on Blu-Ray?

New ones yes.  Older ones, probably not.

Written By: Christie Marie M on 12/26/09 at 9:16 pm

I would love to own Blu-Rays and a Blu-Ray player, but right now I'm satisfied with my DVD's.

Written By: yelimsexa on 12/28/09 at 7:08 am

I saw a video commercial for Transformers and it only stated "now on Blu-Ray". A sign that something's on the way out. Remember that post last month about that Netflix boss predicting that the DVD has about 2 years left? I can say VHS 1999=DVD 2009, except that the VHS had been around for about 10 years longer than the DVD had been out. I'm already associating the DVD with the Aughts, along with Emo and Crunk and Glam Rap. And I do predict that around 2020, even the Blu-Ray will become obsolete possibly due to the potential merging of the TV with the Internet via a Superterminal.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 12/28/09 at 12:35 pm

They still advertise DVDs, just not as much.

Written By: Dawalk on 12/28/09 at 2:54 pm

I have a bold prediction, that DVDs are going to go the way of VHS, Bata, and Laserdisc, by the end of 2010.

Why?  Currently, Blu Ray is starting to becoming the dominant format at the moment, and fewer DVDs have extras, let alone commentary tracks, when they do get released currently.

Hi, first of all, I'm new here, as a first time poster on this site, but long-time lurker. I'm Dawalk. Secondly, I have such disdain for this news as to the future fate of the DVD that I just have to respond and give my take, and express my feelings on that. I need and have the urge to vent. I know that I used to always want technology to move at such a rapid pace and all, but now it's getting too rapid for me. When technology finally does advance at such a rapid pace, it seems like it's been occurring in the last century and even furthermore in this decade/these first few years of this century. It's really turning me off and making me go from a technophile to a technophobe even more that I already was, and I don't even have to be from an earlier generation to be one. I'm really beginning to detest more and more the way this is going. I just gotten into the DVDs a few years back, and now I'm learning about probably having to start all over or anew...I don't want to have to do that mess either.

Once again, firstly, I disagree with that whole doing away with one format in favor of another thing. When copies of most VHS tapes stopped being produced only three years ago, I didn't like it at first, partly because of my remaining attachment to them through nostalgia and them having been around so long, and they were the first format on which to watch movies and t.v. shows. But then I came to tolerating it and letting that slide, since all the various kinds of video discs are different from the tapes and one doesn't have to worry about a movie messing up after playing, rewinding, fast-forwarding it so many times, which is one pro/advantage. That I'm okay with and can accept for the aforementioned reasons. But the same for this, I doubt that I can do. This is just getting to be too much. It was enough getting rid of the HD-DVD (not that I had ever bought HD-DVDs to begin with, I'm just saying and making a point), now there are plans of doing the same to the regular DVD too? What the flip?! Oh, heck no! I disagree with that idea. This is horse feathers, some things just need to be left alone and as is. It's seriously getting out of hand now. When my mother was asking me what a blu-ray disc was, I printed out info from a site that explains it and gave it to her, and she said she wasn't studying them. Also, that these companies that keep coming up with new formats for watching movies are just out and doing so to make extra money. I have to agree with her and this is just another conspiracy. This is just another example of multi-dipping and hopefully some of the public will see this. I, too, am happy and just fine, and dandy with the regular DVDs, and would rather stick with these, thanks. We didn't/don't need any more, new kinds of discs. Enough of these already, it's absurd. They better not be trying to do away with the ordinary DVD as well. Forget this and forget them. This doesn't sit well with me. I don't care what anybody has to say, I'm sick of it, it's just too much, and I refuse to conform to what's suppose to be the next big thing just 'cause everyone else may force me into their ways. Why can't all these varieties of discs still co-exist, just because one variety is popular than another? Well screw the popularity contest then, too, if that's the case. I'll never get with it, when the DVD revolutionized the way we watch movies, that was good enough. There wasn't any more perfecting, improving, advancing of what format we use needed. When does this end and why doesn't it end already, and how can it keep going? What more could be done with movies? In my opinion, the amelioration should've stopped at the DVD. Not again, I'm sorry for the lengthy post, but I had a lot on my mind that I had to get out and on here. Uh-uh, I can't take much more of this and they better not get rid of all physical formats for selling and watching movies either, I don't want to watch movies online exclusively all the time. Just whenever I feel like it and to see before buying if I like it. I already adjusted to the DVD format, I'm not about to attempt to do the same with another, that's plenty for me. Vinyl is still being produced, despite the arrival of CDs in the early '80s and they get to co-exist, so why can't the DVD? How does one explain that? I hate whenever some new mess comes along, it's being forced upon us to go in a new direction. I can't stand that.

Written By: Mushroom on 12/28/09 at 9:28 pm

I saw a video commercial for Transformers and it only stated "now on Blu-Ray". A sign that something's on the way out. Remember that post last month about that Netflix boss predicting that the DVD has about 2 years left? I can say VHS 1999=DVD 2009, except that the VHS had been around for about 10 years longer than the DVD had been out. I'm already associating the DVD with the Aughts, along with Emo and Crunk and Glam Rap. And I do predict that around 2020, even the Blu-Ray will become obsolete possibly due to the potential merging of the TV with the Internet via a Superterminal.

This topic has actually been covered in here before.  And for many reasons, I agree with you.

All to often, people fortell the passing of a current trend.  But they tend to forget past history when they do so.

The demise of VHS was predicted in the early 2000's, but they are still with us.  For many people, they are still the recording media of choice.  They are reuseable, cheap, and are almost everywhere.  And for things like security cameras, still the standard.  Even though the pre-recorded movie on VHS is pretty much dead, the decks and tapes are still readily available.

And don't forget, that just because something falls out of use in the home market, does not mean it is dead.  Dot Matrix Printers are still made, because of the large numbers of businesses that rely on them for multi-part forms.  BetaMax died in the mid 1980's in the home market, but lived on until the mid to late 1990's for professionals (higer sound and video quality), only being phased out with the availability of digital video recorders.

And what about that older standard, the Laser Disk?  It lasted into the 21st Century.  The factoy making the players did not finally shut down until 2001!  And the demise of the venerable 8-track was predicted in the mid-1970's.  But they chugged on for years later, both in commercial use (muzac used them until the 1990's), and in home use (the last commercial tape made was "Fleetwood Mac's Greatest Hits" in 1988).

No, DVD will be around for a long, long time.  To begin with, there are simply to many players and movies out (in my house we have a total of 5 DVD players between tv boxes and computers, and over 800 movies).  Compare that to how many people have BluRay (I own a single set top, and my laptop, and a total of 5 BluRay movies).

Then there is the techical considerations.  Unless you own a HiDef TV, BluRay is simply a waste of money.  The video quality will be no better then you get with DVD.  And if you are watching an older movie, odds are you will not see any difference due to things like film-grain size, aspect ratio and quality of original print.

Imagine seeing a movie like Citizen Kane in BluRay.  Apsect ratio of 1.33:1 (pretty much square).  Instead of the "Letter Box" on top and bottom you are used to, you get bars on the sides of the TV.  And oh wow, those grains will look so much sharper and clearer!

And heck, there are still a lot of movies that are not even available on DVD yet!  I still can't get The DI, Simon, The Comic, or Arnold on DVD.  And it took me almost a decade to finally replace some of my VHS movies with DVD, I am not about to do it all over again.

Written By: Dawalk on 12/29/09 at 1:26 am

Thank you for your explanation on how and why you believe it's the opposite. And I hope that the blu-ray will be the final kind of disc format invented, because the way we watch movies today is ameliorated enough. I really wish people would quit bringing up the death-to-DVD thing, because it's really grating and makes me apprehensive, and afraid, and I just can't handle this.

Written By: Mushroom on 12/29/09 at 10:50 am

Thank you for your explanation on how and why you believe it's the opposite. And I hope that the blu-ray will be the final kind of disc format invented, because the way we watch movies today is ameliorated enough. I really wish people would quit bringing up the death-to-DVD thing, because it's really grating and makes me apprehensive, and afraid, and I just can't handle this.

There will always be a "next new thing" around the corner.  And for those of us my age, we have seen them come and go.

Laser Disk, CED, UMATIC, VHS, Beta, High 8, CD Video, Cartrivision, HD-DVD, MicroMV, PlayTape, SelectraVision, V-Cord, VX, C-VHS, Super VHS, Super Beta, QuadraPlex Video, TED, CV-2000, the list goes on and on.  I have owned several of these formats over the years, and seen others in use at various video facilities that I have worked with.

Trying to predict the "next big thing" is almost impossible.  And what seems hot today may be a thing of the past in as little as 3-5 years.  Or it may linger on in use for decades.

Written By: Dawalk on 12/29/09 at 1:45 pm

Some of those you listed are new to me and I never heard of nor did I know they existed. But I still don't get how nobody could ever run out of ideas for new ways to use a medium. Like, how much better can something get if it seems to be flawless. What more could be done to take something to the next level? And how could/would one know for sure that someone else won't be short on bringing the next new thing to the table?

Check for new replies or respond here...