inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The most unforgettable event of the last decade ??

Written By: holicman on 12/24/09 at 4:53 pm

what to you has been the most unforgettable event of the last 10 years ??

Subject: Re: The most unforgettable event of the last decade ??

Written By: LyricBoy on 12/24/09 at 5:00 pm

Bret Michaels picking Amber over Daisy.  :D

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 12/24/09 at 5:13 pm

Bret Michaels picking Amber over Daisy.   :D
agreed! that's the most unforgettable event so this thread can now be locked cuz nuthin tops that  ;D 

I pretty much forgot everything except 9/11  and my 3 home runs in one game in 2003

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/24/09 at 5:46 pm

My personal was getting married to my best friend on Oct. 18th, 2003-and the birth of 4 beautiful little girls (2003, 2004, 2007, 2008, & 2009).

Sad was losing my brother-in-law in 2001, two friends within 3 weeks of each other in 2007 & losing both my grandmother & sister in 2008. I also lost a few beloved cats, too.  :\'( :\'( :\'(

Cat

Written By: paradigm on 12/24/09 at 6:44 pm

9-11.

I mean, is this way too typical? Surely anybody who was over the age of 2 or 3 remembers the hysteria. Most people, young or old, can remember exactly what they were doing on that date, much like JFK's shooting. 

Written By: Davester on 12/24/09 at 6:45 pm

My personal was getting married to my best friend on Oct. 18th, 2003-and the birth of 4 beautiful little girls (2003, 2004, 2007, 2008, & 2009).

Cat

You and DC been getin' busy...

Written By: Dagwood on 12/24/09 at 8:41 pm

9/11 and on a personal note losing my dad in 2007.  Wish I could forget both.

Written By: gibbo on 12/24/09 at 8:52 pm

9/11 was the one event that came to my mind too. It affected the entire world and changed many things as we knew them....

Written By: Frank on 12/25/09 at 12:13 am

9/11 was the one event that came to my mind too. It affected the entire world and changed many things as we knew them....

Second that.

Written By: Christie Marie M on 12/25/09 at 7:54 am

9/11, Octomom

Written By: Christie Marie M on 12/25/09 at 7:55 am

Oh, and the 4 day power outage in our hometown of last year.

Written By: Henk on 12/25/09 at 8:19 am

Yeah, 9/11 of course. How COULD we forget? :(

Other (Dutch) events that impressed/shocked our country:

- assassination of politician Pim Fortuyn (May 6, 2002);
- assassination of film director Theo van Gogh (November 2, 2004);
- (failed) attempt to attack the Dutch royal family (result: 8 dead) (April 30, 2009);
- crash of a Turkish Airlines plane close to Schiphol Airport (result: 9 dead) (February 25, 2009).

Written By: Mike from Jersey on 12/25/09 at 8:44 am

9/11. It' s a no-brainer.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/25/09 at 12:33 pm

You and DC been getin' busy...

Yeah, it does sound that way doesn't it.  :D ;D ;D ;D  Actually, those little girls call Carlos "Papa Charlie" and me "Grandma 'Cat'".

I just realized that I put 5 years rather than 4.

It should read:

The birth of 4 beautiful little girls (2003, 2004, 2007, 2008, & 2009).

Oops.

Cat

Written By: Foo Bar on 12/25/09 at 9:54 pm

Hate to go with 9/11, but there it is. 

It was the decade when the West changed from being an outward-looking, "Give me liberty or give me death" (or even a "Better dead than Red") culture (and you Brits used to "Keep Calm and Carry On", through the Nazi bombings of the 40s and the IRA bombings of the 80s) , and turned into a "Papers, Please?" security/surveillance state.

In Pre-9/11 America, Yakov Smirnov was a washed-up comedian who got most of his laughs in the 80s when he said "In USA, you watch TV.  In Soviet Russia, TV watches you!"  "If you've done nothing wrong, you've got nothing to hide" used to be a line heard only in B-movies, and it was something the bad guys said.

In post-9/11 America, nobody would get the joke.  Because of course your TV watches you.  In Post-Soviet Russia, they might be so technologically-backwards as to merely let their citizens watch TV, but here in America, how better to send you ads based on the content you download?  What do you think all those google-analytics scripts are for?  And if a few malefactors have to spend a little more time at the airport because their profiles don't conform to the norm, well, isn't it worth it if it keeps just one person safe? 

The unforgettable event was 9/11.  Nearly ten years later, not only the WTC is still a big hole in the ground, but we've changed our way of life.  The goddamn terrorists won

Written By: Brian06 on 12/26/09 at 1:13 am

9/11 of course

Written By: Frank on 12/26/09 at 1:18 am

The unforgettable event was 9/11.  Nearly ten years later, not only the WTC is still a big hole in the ground, but we've changed our way of life.  The goddamn terrorists won

Well put

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/26/09 at 12:21 pm

It was the decade when the West changed from being an outward-looking, "Give me liberty or give me death" (or even a "Better dead than Red") culture (and you Brits used to "Keep Calm and Carry On", through the Nazi bombings of the 40s and the IRA bombings of the 80s) , and turned into a "Papers, Please?" security/surveillance state.

In Pre-9/11 America, Yakov Smirnov was a washed-up comedian who got most of his laughs in the 80s when he said "In USA, you watch TV.  In Soviet Russia, TV watches you!"  "If you've done nothing wrong, you've got nothing to hide" used to be a line heard only in B-movies, and it was something the bad guys said.

In post-9/11 America, nobody would get the joke.  Because of course your TV watches you.  In Post-Soviet Russia, they might be so technologically-backwards as to merely let their citizens watch TV, but here in America, how better to send you ads based on the content you download?  What do you think all those google-analytics scripts are for?  And if a few malefactors have to spend a little more time at the airport because their profiles don't conform to the norm, well, isn't it worth it if it keeps just one person safe? 

Well put

Agreed.

Unfortunately, after 9/11, people did not heed the words of Benjamin Franklin, They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security.

Cat

Written By: MrCleveland on 12/27/09 at 11:35 am

Obviously 9/11, Janet Jackson's "Wardrobe Malfunction", and Depression 2.0.

Written By: gibbo on 12/27/09 at 9:49 pm

While 9/11 resonates most in my mind...the 2004 Boxing Day Tsunami that hit Indonesia, Thailand (and a host of other countries) is probably the next biggest event...

Written By: LyricBoy on 12/28/09 at 8:11 am

...Janet Jackson's "Wardrobe Malfunction"...

a.k.a., "Nipplegate"

;D

Written By: danootaandme on 12/28/09 at 8:59 am

9/11(bad)

Barak Obama elected (good)

Ted Kennedy dies (bad)

Check for new replies or respond here...