inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Surprisingly Good Mashups of the late 00s

Written By: sonikuu on 12/29/09 at 2:20 pm

These mashups are great.  He combines the top 25 pop songs of each year and creates absolutely great songs.  They kick the asses of almost all the songs they were remixed from.

2009: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNzrwh2Z2hQ&feature=player_embedded
2008: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLaZ-8IMtt0
2007: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ls7yJmxAF9Y

Subject: Re: Surprisingly Good Mashups of the late 00s

Written By: Foo Bar on 12/31/09 at 12:40 am

Gotta pound the table for my local heroes A Plus D and Smash up Derby, as well as Party Ben, not only for doing awesome mashups, but for making them available.

The coolest thing about the mashup scene is that it moves so fast that it's impossible to listen to everything.  It's enough to know that every week, ten minutes of random clicking on a few DJs sites will yield a couple of nights' worth of something new to listen to, and then the cycle repeats.

(And now for something completely different, they thought Meathead was daft to mash up Super Mario Brothers with Nine Inch Nails to produce Closer to Mario, but he showed them, and that's what you're gonna hear if you download that.  The most hilariously-awesome mashup in all of this thread, but if you think you've got something funnier, tell us about it!)

Subject: Re: Surprisingly Good Mashups of the late 00s

Written By: Midas on 12/31/09 at 9:22 am

The coolest thing about the mashup scene is that it moves so fast that it's impossible to listen to everything.  It's enough to know that every week, ten minutes of random clicking on a few DJs sites will yield a couple of nights' worth of something new to listen to, and then the cycle repeats.

A co-worker of mine and I were discussing this yesterday.  As soon as acapella tracks are available, there's quite a few mashups already put out.  He mentioned something about one of the record companies (Columbia maybe?) releasing acapella tracks on 7" vinyl for the DJs.

I've dabbled with a few in my day.  My first one (before mashups were mashups) was the acapella of "Ice Ice Baby" over (I think) the "Bust The Move" mix of Lydia Rhodes' "DJ Give Me That Funky Bass".  :D  I think I dumped the Rhodes 12" somewhere (I dumped IIB also, but only because I secured the Hot Tracks, Funkymix and I believe Power House remixes  8) ).  The most recent one I made was a year or two back, Outkast vs Daryl Hall & John Oates - "Ms. Jackson Is Out Of Touch".  I dropped it a few times on Retro Dance Party.  I used Adobe Audition (aka CoolEdit Pro) to make a shanty mashup that sounds decent enough.  Perhaps when I have time I'll post a link here. :)

One of my other faves that I made quite a few years back, although not entirely a mashup, was a DJ-friendly mix of The Cure's "The Love Cats".  I created a workable intro and break after the 2nd verse/chorus, and extended the beats long enough to attempt to sync up those d@mn cats from Disney's Lady And The Tramp singing "We Are Siamese". :D  It turned out good enough to play, given my time-stretching skillz at the time.

Check for new replies or respond here...