inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: MTV and Music

Written By: joeman on 01/19/10 at 7:58 pm

Until 2000 or 2001, MTV used to be source to watch music videos and find newest music trend.  It slowly became a reality tv program, and rock music in the 2000's, for the most part, got too generic because rock music that formed in the late 90's stayed.  I think new ways to view music, like Myspace, has created a culture that no longer uses television shows to find new music, but almost nothing went mainstream, or at least not gotten through Clear Channel owned networks.  I think this was a problem with bands during the 00's, they couldn't have a unitary outlook, like a music television channel, and they had hard time finding major success as opposed to bands before the 21th century.

What do you guys think of music development in the 00's?

Subject: Re: MTV and Music

Written By: Kyle 230 on 01/20/10 at 3:51 pm

Until 2000 or 2001, MTV used to be source to watch music videos and find newest music trend.  It slowly became a reality tv program, and rock music in the 2000's, for the most part, got too generic because rock music that formed in the late 90's stayed.  I think new ways to view music, like Myspace, has created a culture that no longer uses television shows to find new music, but almost nothing went mainstream, or at least not gotten through Clear Channel owned networks.  I think this was a problem with bands during the 00's, they couldn't have a unitary outlook, like a music television channel, and they had hard time finding major success as opposed to bands before the 21th century.

What do you guys think of music development in the 00's?

I think it is definetely in the internet.  People are not really looking at the top hits anymore, but thanks to iTunes and all that, and maybe sites such as MySpace and these sites, people are more interested into a variety of music.  Ever since th 1990s, people are not just tuning to 106.7 FM to get the latest hits or some country artists.  People are getting exposed to the satelllite radio, internet radio, and the music downloading.  Indie and even amateur, old, and less mainstream like jazz or new age is getting way more common.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/21/10 at 4:19 am

Since MTV have stopped showing pop promos, the pop music industry has gone downhill.

Written By: whistledog on 01/21/10 at 5:01 pm

MTV and Music

... do not belong in the same sentence.

Written By: sonikuu on 01/26/10 at 2:45 am

Personally, I think the internet is the best thing to happen to music this decade.  It has enabled people, including myself, to broaden their tastes to things they never would've discovered otherwise.  As a "Gen Yer" myself, I can say that many people of my generation like non-mainstream music.  A fair portion (not all, but a good amount) of the "cool crowd" at my high school were not only into typical Top 40 music, but also into Emo, Indie Rock, and Classic Rock, among others.  The internet has enabled people to really go in depth with their music tastes.  Why wait to discover a new band on the radio when I simply scrobble my music plays onto last.fm and have it recommend me music based on what I like?

Yeah, Rock may not be as mainstream anymore, but from what I've seen, Rock music fans tend to be more likely to rely on the internet, be anti-mainstream, and download music for free rather than purchasing it.  Anyway, Rock music has a ton of variety if you know where to look.  The mainstream music industry has also been in serious decline for awhile now.  Rolling Stone mentioned that one week back in June 2009, all 200 best selling albums for that week combined sold less than the 2 million Nsync's "No Strings Attached"  sold in it's first week back in 2000.

Written By: joeman on 01/26/10 at 1:05 pm

Personally, I think the internet is the best thing to happen to music this decade.  It has enabled people, including myself, to broaden their tastes to things they never would've discovered otherwise.  As a "Gen Yer" myself, I can say that many people of my generation like non-mainstream music.  A fair portion (not all, but a good amount) of the "cool crowd" at my high school were not only into typical Top 40 music, but also into Emo, Indie Rock, and Classic Rock, among others.  The internet has enabled people to really go in depth with their music tastes.  Why wait to discover a new band on the radio when I simply scrobble my music plays onto last.fm and have it recommend me music based on what I like?

The internet was quite big in the late 90's along with MTV showing music videos.  Cool people still followed whatever music MTV was promoting and it help sell the fashion.  I strongly believe that channels like VH1 and MTV influence and still influences the youth of America.  But for MTV not show music videos anymore is a thing that I really can't comprehend.  I remember being 12 and being really excited to wake up every Saturday morning to watch the top 20 music video countdown.  Can't say I can watch any programming in MTV anymore, save perhaps the music awards.

Written By: sonikuu on 01/26/10 at 7:10 pm

The internet was quite big in the late 90's along with MTV showing music videos.  Cool people still followed whatever music MTV was promoting and it help sell the fashion.  I strongly believe that channels like VH1 and MTV influence and still influences the youth of America.  But for MTV not show music videos anymore is a thing that I really can't comprehend.  I remember being 12 and being really excited to wake up every Saturday morning to watch the top 20 music video countdown.  Can't say I can watch any programming in MTV anymore, save perhaps the music awards.

MTV's been slowly getting rid of music programming since 1992 when The Real World debuted.  By 1999, while music videos could still be seen in the morning hours (I watched them every morning before school), they were unseen for much of the afternoon and evening.  The most prominent music show by the turn of the century was TRL, which usually showed only 30 seconds of a video with 10 seconds of it being someone giving a shout out.  Now, in this age of Youtube, it makes no sense for MTV to air music videos.  People aren't going to watch music videos waiting for their favorite or to see if there is anything new when they can just go online and search for it themselves.

I personally like the music video formula, but it just isn't feasible in the modern age.  The last music channel to air music videos consistently was Fuse and they started to decrease their music programming around 2007 or so.  As far as MTV still influencing the youth of America, no one can doubt that it does.  MTV remains a source of fashion for many teens and still airs shows that appeal to the audience greatly.  However, it's power in the music scene has diminished compared to what it once was as the power has gone into more digital sources.  Case in point: the MTV Video Music Awards, a bastion of MTV's music scene, saw it's ratings plummet in the 00s.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/27/10 at 11:44 am

MTV and Music are mutually exclusive.
8)

Check for new replies or respond here...