inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The fading popularity of rapper 50 Cent.

Written By: tv on 03/11/10 at 4:49 pm

"50 Cent" was so popular from 2003-mid 2005. What led to his fading popularity after that period? Was it ringtone rap's popularity after mid 2005? Were people sick of the glam rap that dominated the mid 00's? I mean "ringtone rap" had the some of the same vibe that mid 00's glam rap had in the rapping(talking about women.)

50 Cent did have hits after 2005 in 2007 like "Straight To The Bank (#32 US Hot 100), "Ayo Technology"(US Hot 100 #5), and "Get Money(US Hot 100 # 20.)  The hits that I mentioned off the album :"Curtis". "Curtis" only sold 1.3 million when compared to his 2 previous albums 2003's "Get Rich or Due Tryin"(6 million in the US), and 2005's  "The Massacre" which sold 5 million in the US. His newest album only went gold(500,000 units sold) and really didn;t do anything chart wise except for 1 top 30 single in the US anyway. I'm wondering how an artist can be really hot mid decade but by the end totally fade out? 50 is the Cyndi Lauper of the 00's maybe in terms of how he faded out towards the near end of the decade.

Subject: Re: The fading popularity of rapper 50 Cent.

Written By: nupur on 03/11/10 at 7:45 pm

I'm hoping the decline in 50's popularity stems from people realizing that he's not really anything special. Sure, he had his number of hits, but there are plenty of other people out there who can spit rhymes that other people write for them. I think what people are looking for is the creativity of rappers like Kanye and Lil Wayne. I'm not a huge fan of Lil Wayne, but at least he comes up with his own lyrics.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/12/10 at 12:41 am

I remember when he got his day, I said he'd be chic for as long as Eminem was.  And he was right.  I predicted the demise of Eminem about 6 months earlier than it actually was...
8)

Written By: Brian06 on 03/12/10 at 12:46 am

50 was huge for 2003-2005 and then the buzz died significantly. 50 cent's success considering how big he was for that short period of time faded rather quickly. I don't really mind 50 cent though I don't think he's that good either. He declined a lot with the later albums as well, the material is much inferior compared to the first album.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/12/10 at 1:25 am

Isn't he the one who said:

"I loves you like a fat kid loves cake!"

That had a nice Elizabethan charm!

Written By: joeman on 03/12/10 at 7:25 am

50 was huge for 2003-2005 and then the buzz died significantly. 50 cent's success considering how big he was for that short period of time faded rather quickly. I don't really mind 50 cent though I don't think he's that good either. He declined a lot with the later albums as well, the material is much inferior compared to the first album.

If you ask me, that seems about a normal lifespan of a big time rapper(remember DMX? :)).  Dr Dre was smart about this by putting albums in long periods of time.

Written By: danootaandme on 03/12/10 at 7:31 am

What?  You think this is a pointed phenomenon.  It happens all the time to supposedly big names in all areas of entertainment.  Who ever thought that Jan and Dean would fizzle, or Frankie Avalon or Connie Francis?

Written By: JamieMcBain on 03/12/10 at 9:55 am

What?  You think this is a pointed phenomenon.  It happens all the time to supposedly big names in all areas of entertainment.  Who ever thought that Jan and Dean would fizzle, or Frankie Avalon or Connie Francis?

I hear that Fabian and Frankie Valli and The Four Seasons, are real hits, with the kids of today!

;D

Written By: Mike from Jersey on 03/12/10 at 3:15 pm

50's years were 2003-2007. The reason I say 2007 is because that was the year of the whole Kanye West vs. 50 Cent thing when they're albums were supposed to both come out on 9/11/07. As everyone predicted, Kanye outsold him, and his album was much better. That was really the end for him. 50 Cent had an album a few months ago, actually, and nobody cared. I really think he sucks, though "In Da Club" will always be a 00s classic, just cause it's catchy.

Funny, his best days were about as long as Eminem's (99-04), yet Eminem's felt much longer. Probably cause all of his songs (at least his hits, and to say that all of his radio songs are significantly distinct is very important for an artist these days) are unique and worth listening to.

Now I wonder how long it will be until Kanye's heyday will come to an end.

Written By: 80sfan on 03/13/10 at 1:53 am

I remember when he got his day, I said he'd be chic for as long as Eminem was.  And he was right.  I predicted the demise of Eminem about 6 months earlier than it actually was...
8)

Eminem is bigger than 50 cent though.  ;D

Written By: joeman on 03/13/10 at 8:41 am

Forgot to mention, 50 cent probably doesn't care much now since he is set in his ways making money off Vitamin Water.

Written By: whistledog on 03/13/10 at 7:39 pm

Maybe he'll get back in the media by getting into a shootout in some club.  That seems to be the way most fading rap stars go :-\\

Written By: Marian on 03/14/10 at 12:56 pm

he'll be down to 2 bits before long,LOL

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/15/10 at 1:00 am

If I was Fiddy's manager, I would advise him to get busted with a gun and some coke back in da hood!  He'd have to be willing to do a few weeks in the can, then Celebrity Rehab, but it might get some of his street cred back for the next album. 

Listen to me, "album,"  I'm an old fart!
:D

Written By: bchris02 on 03/21/10 at 11:21 pm

Funny, his best days were about as long as Eminem's (99-04), yet Eminem's felt much longer. Probably cause all of his songs (at least his hits, and to say that all of his radio songs are significantly distinct is very important for an artist these days) are unique and worth listening to.

Eminem even today is bigger than 50 cent.  He isn't as popular as he was, but Em is still getting hits and is featured in others (I Want This Forever feat. Drake, Kanye, and Eminem).  I don't think you can really compare the two rappers, as Eminem is unique and far superior.

Written By: Brian06 on 03/21/10 at 11:25 pm

Eminem even today is bigger than 50 cent.  He isn't as popular as he was, but Em is still getting hits and is featured in others (I Want This Forever feat. Drake, Kanye, and Eminem).  I don't think you can really compare the two rappers, as Eminem is unique and far superior.

Plus Eminem's latest album was one of the top selling albums of 2009, so yeah Eminem's still pretty big.

Written By: Mike from Jersey on 03/22/10 at 2:28 pm

I suppose that money-wise, Em still has a large presence. What I meant, though, is that he is no longer the magazine cover, MTV, coolest, hippest, etc guy out there.

Besides, most of the people buying all his new stuff are probably more or less the same one's that bought The Eminem Show.

Written By: whistledog on 03/22/10 at 9:55 pm

I suppose that money-wise, Em still has a large presence. What I meant, though, is that he is no longer the magazine cover, MTV, coolest, hippest, etc guy out there.

He doesn't really have to be though. 

Written By: Shiv on 04/27/11 at 1:18 am

Sorry about the bump, but recently, I saw a 50 Cent poster in someone's curbside trash pile and it reminded me of this thread  :D

I haven't heard a single thing about Fiddy in the media since about 2007.

Crazy to think he was so insanely popular not all that long ago. His image and music style seem very dated today.

Written By: 80sfan on 04/27/11 at 1:57 am

Sorry about the bump, but recently, I saw a 50 Cent poster in someone's curbside trash pile and it reminded me of this thread  :D

I haven't heard a single thing about Fiddy in the media since about 2007.

Crazy to think he was so insanely popular not all that long ago. His image and music style seem very dated today.

His first 2 albums were big sellers. And after that? His career never picked up heat, at least not much heat, again.

He was soooo popular from 2003 to 2005. His popularity faded fast because even by 2006 you could tell his popularity was past its peak!

Written By: sonikuu on 04/27/11 at 2:06 am

Yeah, in retrospect, it's amazing to see how fast 50 Cent declined in popularity.  I was in high school in 2005 and The Massacre's release was HUGE.  50 Cent also got his own video game (50 Cent: Bulletproof) and movie (Get Rich or Die Tryin', named after his first album) that year also.  Fast forward to 2007.  He constantly delayed the release of his third album because none of the singles they were releasing were getting any radio airplay.  It was almost pathetic: he released three singles from the album, none of which hit it big at all.  He finally got a hit on his fourth single by doing a heavily-influenced Electropop song with Justin Timberlake and making a bet with Kanye.  Only then did the album finally release and Kanye kicked his ass in sales.

He is featured in the recent hit "Down On Me", but that's Jeremih's song, not his.  That said, his older videos have tons of views of Youtube so it seems like people love listening to him nostalgically, but don't bother with his new stuff.

Written By: Shiv on 04/27/11 at 2:58 am

I think people just got sick of him... he was EVERYWHERE for a while. Plus, you can only play up the "i got shot" thing for so long. Thats all there really was to him. He was all image.

Then electropop finished him off.

Written By: Creeder on 04/27/11 at 3:32 am

This is very common phenomenon. Just like "Huey Lewis & the News" were huge in the 80s and then forgotten, then Hootie & the Blowfish in the 90s, after that Limp Bizkit in '99-'01.
This thing happens all the time, few are the artists that are popular more than a decade.

Written By: Howard on 04/27/11 at 6:34 am

This is very common phenomenon. Just like "Huey Lewis & the News" were huge in the 80s and then forgotten, then Hootie & the Blowfish in the 90s, after that Limp Bizkit in '99-'01.
This thing happens all the time, few are the artists that are popular more than a decade.

Then they fade from popularity.

Written By: tv on 04/27/11 at 3:01 pm

Yeah, in retrospect, it's amazing to see how fast 50 Cent declined in popularity.  I was in high school in 2005 and The Massacre's release was HUGE.  50 Cent also got his own video game (50 Cent: Bulletproof) and movie (Get Rich or Die Tryin', named after his first album) that year also.  Fast forward to 2007.  He constantly delayed the release of his third album because none of the singles they were releasing were getting any radio airplay.  It was almost pathetic: he released three singles from the album, none of which hit it big at all.  He finally got a hit on his fourth single by doing a heavily-influenced Electropop song with Justin Timberlake and making a bet with Kanye.  Only then did the album finally release and Kanye kicked his ass in sales
He is featured in the recent hit "Down On Me", but that's Jeremih's song, not his.  That said, his older videos have tons of views of Youtube so it seems like people love listening to him nostalgically, but don't bother with his new stuff.
Well he did have a hit with "I Get Money" that peaked at #20 on the Billboard Hot 100 too from that album and "Straight To The Bank" hit #32 on the Billboard Hot 100 in 2007.
I remember in a radio interview on Hot 97( a big NYC Hip-Hop/R&B radio station) in early 2007 50 Cent said that the music business had changed because of downloads becoming a big part of the music business instead of allbum sales. I remember him saying he hope to sell 2 million of his 2007 album but from what I just looked up that album "Curtis" sold 1.3 million.

Another thing was ringtome rap that was popular on and off from late 2006-early 2008 I mean 50 didn't fit that trend at all.

Written By: tv on 04/27/11 at 3:13 pm

I think people just got sick of him... he was EVERYWHERE for a while. Plus, you can only play up the "i got shot" thing for so long. Thats all there really was to him. He was all image.Then electropop finished him off.
2 things that other than the ringtone rap trend that led to 50 Cent's downfall was he would pick verbal fights with every rapper and even hardcore rap fans I think got sick of it. It was at the point to where he was just famous for picking verbal beefs with other rappers.

Point #2: Part of the reason 50 Cent was famous which sort of goes back to point #1 was he picked a verbal beef with then popular rapper Ja Rule and won. By the time early 2005 came Ja Rule wasn't even revelant anymore which I think looking back may have hurt 50 Cent's popularity. I mean he didn't have Ja Rule to pick on anymore. In addition Ja Rule's 2007 comeback was a complete flop.

Written By: Shiv on 04/27/11 at 10:13 pm

Few rappers stay popular for more than 5 years. Why is this? There are exceptions but most of them seem to have very short shelf lives.

Written By: Howard on 04/28/11 at 6:48 am

Few rappers stay popular for more than 5 years. Why is this? There are exceptions but most of them seem to have very short shelf lives.

Then they fade from obscurity nobody hears from them again.

Written By: bchris02 on 04/28/11 at 5:06 pm

Akon was EVERYWHERE in the late '00s and now he's dropped completely off the map.  The only rappers I can think of that have really stood the test of time are Jay-Z, Snoop Dogg, Eminem, and possibly Ludacris and Lil' Wayne.  Ludacris remained relevant throughout the entire '00s but didn't do much after "My Chick Bad" in 2010. 

Written By: tv on 04/28/11 at 5:31 pm

]
Akon was EVERYWHERE in the late '00s and now he's dropped completely off the map.
  The only rappers I can think of that have really stood the test of time are Jay-Z, Snoop Dogg, Eminem, and possibly Ludacris and Lil' Wayne.  Ludacris remained relevant throughout the entire '00s but didn't do much after "My Chick Bad" in 2010. 
Well Akon was popular in the mid 00's too(2004-2006) but I don't think of him as a rapper he is more of a R&B/Hip-Hop hybrid artist.

Written By: Shiv on 04/28/11 at 8:54 pm

Well Akon was popular in the mid 00's too(2004-2006) but I don't think of him as a rapper he is more of a R&B/Hip-Hop hybrid artist.

I remember Akon being popular in like 2004-2007. He jumped on the electropop bandwagon recently with some song but it still didn't chart high.

Written By: Shiv on 04/28/11 at 9:03 pm

Akon was EVERYWHERE in the late '00s and now he's dropped completely off the map.  The only rappers I can think of that have really stood the test of time are Jay-Z, Snoop Dogg, Eminem, and possibly Ludacris and Lil' Wayne.  Ludacris remained relevant throughout the entire '00s but didn't do much after "My Chick Bad" in 2010. 

Snoop Dogg hasn't had a hit since 2007.

Written By: Howard on 04/29/11 at 6:26 am

Remember the rappers of the early 80's like RUN DMC,Sugarhill Gang,Kurtis Blow and Grandmaster Flash,they were all talked about till after a while they faded from obscurity.

Written By: Shiv on 04/29/11 at 3:49 pm

Remember the rappers of the early 80's like RUN DMC,Sugarhill Gang,Kurtis Blow and Grandmaster Flash,they were all talked about till after a while they faded from obscurity.

The only rap I like.

Written By: Howard on 04/29/11 at 7:16 pm

The only rap I like.

I hate today's rap.

Written By: Louise1978 on 04/30/11 at 6:04 am

I'm not a fan of 50 Cent or his music so I don't care that he is no longer popular.

Written By: SuperDude526 on 05/02/11 at 11:59 am

I miss glam hop.

Written By: Shiv on 05/02/11 at 12:22 pm

I miss glam hop.

...why?

Written By: SuperDude526 on 05/02/11 at 12:37 pm

Do you prefer electropop?  Honestly my favorite period in urban music has been c. 2003-2007.  We had Justin Timberlake, 50 Cent, Ne-Yo, and all sorts of fun ones.  I liked rap until I discovered nu-metal in '03, but I think rap was *good* until the rise of ringtone rap.  Like I think Jay-Z for all the sexism and Lupe Fiasco brought some real substance to the genre.  Maybe I'm just talking out of my arse or some rose-colored nostalgia, but that's where it is.

Written By: Shiv on 05/02/11 at 12:49 pm

Do you prefer electropop?  Honestly my favorite period in urban music has been c. 2003-2007.  We had Justin Timberlake, 50 Cent, Ne-Yo, and all sorts of fun ones.  I liked rap until I discovered nu-metal in '03, but I think rap was *good* until the rise of ringtone rap.  Like I think Jay-Z for all the sexism and Lupe Fiasco brought some real substance to the genre.  Maybe I'm just talking out of my arse or some rose-colored nostalgia, but that's where it is.

You're talking out of your arse  ::)

And yes electropop is an improvement. I never want to see an era like 2003-2007 in music ever again.

Written By: Howard on 05/02/11 at 1:49 pm

I miss glam hop.

What the hell is glam hop? ???

Written By: SuperDude526 on 05/02/11 at 5:04 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NiXbRBS5Z58

Written By: Shiv on 05/02/11 at 8:42 pm

The rap equivalent to hair metal.

Written By: Howard on 05/03/11 at 6:38 am

The rap equivalent to hair metal.

Sort of like different costumes and makeup and stuff? ???

Written By: Shiv on 05/03/11 at 8:37 am

Sort of like different costumes and makeup and stuff? ???

Kind of...Lots of gaudy bling and showing off and partying.

Written By: Midas on 05/03/11 at 10:57 pm

With the dollar weakening we should probably be calling him 15 Cent :D

Written By: Howard on 05/04/11 at 6:40 am

With the dollar weakening we should probably be calling him 15 Cent :D

or No Cents (Sense) :D

Written By: Brian06 on 05/13/11 at 3:10 am

Yeah I like the early-mid '00s hip-hop actually, I'm iffy on 2006-2007 but 2000-05 was good for hip-hop. Obviously not everything was good but there was some good songs that were big hits. I'm partial to that period because I grew up with a lot of those songs in high school but I like electropop too. I like some of 50's hits, In da Club is a great song really and Candy Shop was catchy. Jay-Z with Dirt Off Your Shoulder and Outkast with The Way You Move and Hey Ya. Lot of songs that bring back memories. R&B was really solid then when Alicia Keys, Usher, Beyonce were at their best imo.

Written By: Ashes Of The Wake on 05/19/11 at 3:50 pm

I never liked 50 Cent when he was popular but i actually like him better now  :o

Check for new replies or respond here...