inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What ended the boy band craze?

Written By: JamieMcBain on 04/18/10 at 9:36 pm

What ended the boy band craze of the 2000's and can it ever make a come back?

???

Subject: Re: What ended the boy band craze?

Written By: nupur on 04/18/10 at 9:55 pm

In my eyes, it was the emergence of more mainstream hip-hop, rap, and r&b music that took away the popularity of boy bands. Also, punk rock/the emo scene became more of a fad than it was in the 90's. Before 2000, I didn't have much of an opinion regarding music, other than that I was not into teen pop boy bands and girl bands. During the time that the boy band craze was fading, I gained an interest in hip-hip and r&b music, and I think others my age may have had a similar transition from the teen pop phase to other genres of music.

Written By: whistledog on 04/18/10 at 10:06 pm

Who said it ended?  It's just not seen in North America as it once was.

The Europeans still embrace it where acts like JLS, Boyzone and Westlife all recently scored big success in the UK chart.  In 2006, Take That reformed to big success in their native UK, which even reached Canada when the song 'Patience' just missed the Canadian Top 20.  

In 2009, the Backstreet Boys had a Top 40 hit in Canada, as well as several parts of Europe with 'Straight Through My Heart'.  It failed to enter the US Hot 100

The Jonas Brothers are a boy band, even though they play their own instruments:  Typical boy bands are just singers, and have a backing band who are not directly credited as members of the group.

The WORST boy band ever was 2Ge+her.  They spawned out of an MTV series of the same name and featured Kevin Farley, brother of the late Chris Farley, as one of the members.  He was the oldest member of the group (by atleast 15 years to the 2nd oldest).  Nothing sells a boy band quite like 4 young guys, a middle aged fat bald guy and songs that sound like NKOTB taking a crap. LOL

Written By: nupur on 04/18/10 at 10:20 pm

The WORST boy band ever was 2Ge+her.  They spawned out of an MTV series of the same name and featured Kevin Farley, brother of the late Chris Farley, as one of the members.  He was the oldest member of the group (by atleast 15 years to the 2nd oldest).  Nothing sells a boy band quite like 4 young guys, a middle aged fat bald guy and songs that sound like NKOTB taking a crap. LOL

I have their CD! HAHA I think, though, that were actually supposed to be a fictional group, their point being to represent a stereotypical boy band. Each member of the group had a title: "The Heartthrob," "The Cute One," "The Shy One," "The Bad Boy," "The Older Brother" (don't ask me how I remember all that  ;D). They were meant to satirically represent boy bands, though they did actually go on tour.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 04/18/10 at 10:41 pm

???
Puberty.  

;D ;D ;D

Written By: joeman on 04/19/10 at 10:13 am

???

Not sure on the details, but I think it had to do with whatever came out of the Census report for the 2000s.  I am sure marketers analyze this and the music industry just 86'ed the whole boy-band craze.  Rap and R&B became more marketable to sell to kids.

Written By: Lindee on 04/19/10 at 5:46 pm

They all grew up.

Written By: 80sfan on 04/19/10 at 10:47 pm

Don't we have the Jonas Brothers now?

They'll never die out, at least not completely. As long as there are teenage girls with crushes and catchy pop tunes to write they'll never die out!

Will there be another era like 1997 to 2002? Yes, but I don't think it'll be for a looooooooonnnnng time. Like maybe not until 2030?

Written By: Davester on 04/20/10 at 2:17 pm

Disco ended it...

Written By: Samwise on 04/20/10 at 3:27 pm

I have their CD! HAHA I think, though, that were actually supposed to be a fictional group, their point being to represent a stereotypical boy band. Each member of the group had a title: "The Heartthrob," "The Cute One," "The Shy One," "The Bad Boy," "The Older Brother" (don't ask me how I remember all that  ;D). They were meant to satirically represent boy bands, though they did actually go on tour.

nupur is right - 2Ge+her was meant to be satire, sort of like the Spinal Tap of boy bands. I thought they were hilarious! My favorite was "The Hardest Part of Breaking Up (Is Getting Back Your Stuff)." ;D

I think the reason boy bands fell out of fashion is because they were just really formulaic. (See: "Title of the Song" by Da Vinci's Notebook.) Also, fads come and go and after a while, people want something new. The boy band craze might have fallen out of favor more quickly than others because there just wasn't a whole lot of substance to it.

Written By: tv on 04/20/10 at 6:12 pm

1.) Overexposure of the trend-it seemed like every time you turned on the TV back then the media would have coverage of some teen-pop act.

2.) oversaturation of the trend

3.) the 9/11 tragedy

4.) Uprising of R&B-I remember Alicia Keys and Ashanti debuting 2001 or maybe Ashanti debuting in early 2002.

5.) Uprising of Hip-Hop- I remember stuff like Puff Daddy, Ja Rule, Jay-Z, and Nelly getting alot of Top 40 radio airplay from 1997-2002. 50 Cent debut with his debut CD "Get Rich Or Die Tryin" and rap blew up in popularity big time in 2003.

Written By: Brian06 on 04/21/10 at 7:33 pm

Pop rap like Nelly, JaRule, Ludacris drove teen pop listeners to hip-hop/rap music.

Written By: Criz on 04/22/10 at 1:49 pm

Definitely the Pop Rap/Hip hop movement coming in...Pop music just goes in phases and it won't be long befiore we get more boyband/girl bands of the like forming. Girls Aloud,The Sarurdays and Sugababes (well the new 3!) are going strong and as whistledog said, JLS are huge over here in the UK. And Take That reforming has helped the boyband format be much more accepted on the 00s/10s.

Written By: sonikuu on 04/26/10 at 3:02 am

Teen Pop always becomes popular around the turn of the decade.

Late 80s early 90s - New Kids On The Block, Debbie Gibson, Tiffany, etc.
Late 90s early 00s - NSync, Backstreet Boys, Britney Spears, etc.
Late 00s early 10s - Miley Cyrus, Justin Bieber, Jonas Brothers

Nice little cycle we have here. 

Written By: tnf on 04/26/10 at 8:28 am

A changing spirit of the times?

I just think there was something in the air which ended the teen pop craze. I was fading away already before 9-11. For example: The last 5ive releases and the last N'Sync releases didn't become as popular as their predecessors. And Britney already had started to join forces with The Neptunes (I'm a slave for you, releases shortly before 9-11).

Written By: yelimsexa on 05/02/10 at 7:03 pm

Teen Pop always becomes popular around the turn of the decade.

Late 80s early 90s - New Kids On The Block, Debbie Gibson, Tiffany, etc.
Late 90s early 00s - NSync, Backstreet Boys, Britney Spears, etc.
Late 00s early 10s - Miley Cyrus, Justin Bieber, Jonas Brothers

Nice little cycle we have here. 

Late 50s early 60s - Frankie Avalon, Ricky Nelson, Fabian, Brenda Lee, Connie Francis, etc.
Late 60s early 70s - The Archies, The Jackson 5, The Partirdge Family, The Osmonds, etc.
Late 70s early 80s - Weaker than the other decades due to disco backlash. Adult artists tended to dominate, and the Punk/early New Wave is quite distinct from just another Teen Pop wave. (It's a shame, this pattern would have meant that adults could have dominated the charts today!)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/07/10 at 1:09 pm

As long as there are randy teenage girls and dirty old men, there will be a market for "boy bands."

http://morefamilyguy.files.wordpress.com/2008/07/familyguyherbert.jpg

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/31/10 at 8:33 am

Boy bands are still still going well today, with the reformation of Take That, Westlife still continuing to have hits, JLS doing well after The X-Factor the other year, and One Direction to hit the pop music scene after this year's X-Factor.

Written By: MrCleveland on 12/31/10 at 8:45 am

As long as there are randy teenage girls and dirty old men, there will be a market for "boy bands."

http://morefamilyguy.files.wordpress.com/2008/07/familyguyherbert.jpg

Karma for Herbert!

I hope one day Chris Hansen would come to Quohog and arrest that wrinkly perverted man's ass! ;D

Written By: Shiv on 12/31/10 at 1:55 pm

There were several reasons. 9/11 and the subsequent explosion of hip hop and emo, oversaturation (there were Backstreet Boys kids meal toys at Burger King at one point, I remember thinking that was overdoing it), and a big backlash that started to form around late 2001 not only against boy bands, but the whole late 90s-early 00s teen pop scene in general. People were tired of its fakeness, and no longer wanted the bubblyness in the bleak aftermath of 9/11. I remember a lot of people in my school gravitating towards bands like Simple Plan, Good Charlotte in 2002 because they were "real" bands, unlike poor NSYNC and Backstreet Boys. A lot of the 00s emo bands were sucessors of the boy bands, really.

Written By: Emman on 12/31/10 at 2:51 pm

A lot of the 00s emo bands were sucessors of the boy bands, really.

You got that right! ;D

Written By: Howard on 12/31/10 at 6:19 pm

Justin Bieber?  ???

::)

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/31/10 at 6:31 pm

Justin Bieber?  ???

Can Justin Bieber be a boy band on his own?

Written By: RG1995 on 12/31/10 at 7:50 pm

A number of reasons led to the end of the "golden era of Boy Bands". Most notably:

1.) The pre teen girls who loved it grew up and moved on
2.) Rap/RnB took over the charts
3.) Changing times with 9/11
4.) Annoying Pop Punk and eventually Emo became popular with a lot of the girls who listened to Boy Bands
5.) It ran its course and died like all fads

Written By: Howard on 01/01/11 at 6:28 am

A number of reasons led to the end of the "golden era of Boy Bands". Most notably:

1.) The pre teen girls who loved it grew up and moved on
2.) Rap/RnB took over the charts
3.) Changing times with 9/11
4.) Annoying Pop Punk and eventually Emo became popular with a lot of the girls who listened to Boy Bands
5.) It ran its course and died like all fads

Yep,that pretty much sums it up.

Written By: tv on 01/01/11 at 12:06 pm

There were several reasons. 9/11 and the subsequent explosion of hip hop and emo, oversaturation (there were Backstreet Boys kids meal toys at Burger King at one point, I remember thinking that was overdoing it), and a big backlash that started to form around late 2001 not only against boy bands, but the whole late 90s-early 00s teen pop scene in general. People were tired of its fakeness, and no longer wanted the bubblyness in the bleak aftermath of 9/11. I remember a lot of people in my school gravitating towards bands like Simple Plan, Good Charlotte in 2002 because they were "real" bands, unlike poor NSYNC and Backstreet Boys. A lot of the 00s emo bands were sucessors of the boy bands, really.

Yeah I think I remember the toys in early 1999 when "The Backstreet Boys" hit their peak with their hit "I Want It Way" I think.

Written By: Lindee on 01/01/11 at 4:32 pm

Did anybody catch last night's Dick Clark's New Year's Rockin' Eve special? Both the Backstreet Boys and New Kids on the Block were on and performing together. I hate to admit it, but they still sound pretty good.

Written By: whistledog on 01/01/11 at 4:41 pm

Boy bands are still still going well today, with the reformation of Take That, Westlife still continuing to have hits, JLS doing well after The X-Factor the other year, and One Direction to hit the pop music scene after this year's X-Factor.

Yes indeed.  Boyzone also reformed (still going strong even after the passing of Stephen Gately), and Robbie Williams finally caved and re-joined his Take That bandmates.  That was quite a shocker!

Written By: 80sfan on 01/01/11 at 4:56 pm

People just got so oversaturated with it, I hate to admit it, but it actually might be as simple as that.

Boy bands were huge from 1997 to 2000 and started to wane 2001-2002. And by June 2002 the boy band craze of the late 90's/early 00's was dead.

Written By: Howard on 01/01/11 at 6:47 pm

Did anybody catch last night's Dick Clark's New Year's Rockin' Eve special? Both the Backstreet Boys and New Kids on the Block were on and performing together. I hate to admit it, but they still sound pretty good.

Whoever thought that they would be performing together?

Written By: bchris02 on 01/02/11 at 3:47 pm

People just got so oversaturated with it, I hate to admit it, but it actually might be as simple as that.

Boy bands were huge from 1997 to 2000 and started to wane 2001-2002. And by June 2002 the boy band craze of the late 90's/early 00's was dead.

Right...it was a huge fad and then there was a huge backlash against it, much like disco in the '70s, eurodance in the mid-90s, crunk rap in the mid-'00s, and it will almost certainly happen with the current wave of electropop.

I think right now, saying electropop will define '10s music is like if you said in 2001 that boy bands would define '00s music.  Things can and do change quick.

Written By: 80sfan on 01/02/11 at 3:54 pm

Right...it was a huge fad and then there was a huge backlash against it, much like disco in the '70s, eurodance in the mid-90s, crunk rap in the mid-'00s, and it will almost certainly happen with the current wave of electropop.

I think right now, saying electropop will define '10s music is like if you said in 2001 that boy bands would define '00s music.  Things can and do change quick.

00's music truly started around 2003 with the rise of crunk and rap. For example 50 Cent! But you could see a few hints of it starting around 2000 with songs from Nelly and Ja Rule.

I remember knowing that rap was gonna dominate the 00's in 2000 because of hearing Eminem, Ja Rule, and Nelly in 2000 so much. I just instinctively knew that rap was gonna be huge even if teen pop such as Nsync and Britney Spears was dominate during the time!

Written By: bchris02 on 01/03/11 at 8:29 pm

00's music truly started around 2003 with the rise of crunk and rap. For example 50 Cent! But you could see a few hints of it starting around 2000 with songs from Nelly and Ja Rule.

I remember knowing that rap was gonna dominate the 00's in 2000 because of hearing Eminem, Ja Rule, and Nelly in 2000 so much. I just instinctively knew that rap was gonna be huge even if teen pop such as Nsync and Britney Spears was dominate during the time!

2000 was a huge year for rap, especially the second half of the year.  It was definitely the year that got everything started.  Eminem, Ja Rule, Nelly, Dr Dre, Snoop, Xzibit, Ludacris, Juvenile, and Jay-Z all had HUGE hits that year.  You also can't forget the r&b influenced pop artists of the time such as Sisqo, TLC, Joe, and Destiny's Child.  That style of music simply doesn't exist today.  R&B and hip-hop have seemingly went completely different directions since the early 2000s.

Written By: DJ Blaze on 01/03/11 at 8:32 pm

Justin Bieber?  ???

The Antichrist, maybe? Wait, they're the same thing.

Written By: Emman on 01/03/11 at 8:40 pm

The last I remember of the boybands being popular was in early 2001, later in the year all of a sudden they switched to a urban sound(The Neptunes producing songs for Nsync and Britney Spears).
I think 2001 was the year that got the urban 00's sound going although it would be until around 2003 when it totally dominanted mainstream music.

Written By: Shiv on 01/04/11 at 12:18 am

R&B and hip-hop have seemingly went completely different directions since the early 2000s.

2000s R&B and hip hop seem very similar to me.

Written By: Starde on 01/04/11 at 3:18 am

The last I remember of the boybands being popular was in early 2001, later in the year all of a sudden they switched to a urban sound(The Neptunes producing songs for Nsync and Britney Spears).
I think 2001 was the year that got the urban 00's sound going although it would be until around 2003 when it totally dominanted mainstream music.

I pretty much agree. The last time I remembering hearing a boyband on my local Top 40 radio station was in 2002 (it was probably in the summer; I believe it was *NSYNC with that song "Girlfriend" that they did with Nelly). 2001-2002 were the years the boyband era was on life support and 2003 was when it became completely dead.

Written By: Howard on 01/04/11 at 6:36 am

I remember the R&B boy bands such as New Edition,The Boyz,Debarge,Musical Youth and Ollie/Jerry.

Written By: kitkat1991 on 01/04/11 at 12:46 pm

I say it ended in early 2002 when Nsync came out with their last song "Girlfriend."

Written By: RG1995 on 01/04/11 at 1:44 pm

I say it ended in 2002 or so too. Why? Because my sister got rid of the crap posters of those Boy Bands around that year  8-P

Written By: Howard on 01/04/11 at 6:49 pm

I say it ended in 2002 or so too. Why? Because my sister got rid of the crap posters of those Boy Bands around that year  8-P

What was her favorite? ???

Written By: RG1995 on 01/04/11 at 7:50 pm

What was her favorite? ???
98 Degrees

Written By: 80sfan on 01/04/11 at 8:53 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fndeDfaWCg

Written By: 80sfan on 01/04/11 at 8:53 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qnkwrq39HXw

Written By: Shiv on 01/04/11 at 9:29 pm

For some reason I find it funny that nu metal was popular during the exact same time as the boy bands.

Written By: DJ Blaze on 01/04/11 at 9:32 pm

For some reason I find it funny that nu metal was popular during the exact same time as the boy bands.

Disturbed are cool.

Written By: joeman on 01/04/11 at 9:34 pm

Not really, as nu-metal was an alternative to boy bands at the time.  It was a big controversy when rumors found out that Fred Durst have been sleeping with Britney Spears(whom had past relations with Justin Timberlake).

Written By: Howard on 01/05/11 at 6:40 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qnkwrq39HXw

Bye Bye Bye went the boy bands.

Written By: tv on 01/05/11 at 11:47 am

What like Euro-Dance was popular as the same time as grunge(late 1991-mid 1996?)

Written By: tv on 01/05/11 at 11:48 am

That song was lame.

Written By: tv on 01/05/11 at 11:49 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fndeDfaWCg
That song was their definite peak of their popularity.

Written By: tv on 01/05/11 at 11:51 am

I pretty much agree. The last time I remembering hearing a boyband on my local Top 40 radio station was in 2002 (it was probably in the summer; I believe it was *NSYNC with that song "Girlfriend" that they did with Nelly). 2001-2002 were the years the boyband era was on life support and 2003 was when it became completely dead.
I remember one person on these boards saying back in 2004 how teen-pop was still hot. I was like what?

Written By: tv on 01/05/11 at 11:52 am

Disturbed are cool.
I remember their hit "Stupify" back in 2001.

Written By: DJ Blaze on 01/05/11 at 1:23 pm

I remember their hit "Stupify" back in 2001.

That was a good one, don't forget "Down With The Sickness" and their cover of Genesis's "Land Of Confusion". To quote their lead singer.... OO-WA-A-A-A!

Written By: Howard on 01/05/11 at 1:28 pm

That song was lame.

hated that song.

Written By: DJ Blaze on 01/05/11 at 1:51 pm

hated that song.

Same here.

Written By: Brian06 on 01/05/11 at 3:36 pm

That was a good one, don't forget "Down With The Sickness" and their cover of Genesis's "Land Of Confusion". To quote their lead singer.... OO-WA-A-A-A!

I like "Stricken" and "Indestructible" too.

Written By: Mike from Jersey on 01/05/11 at 4:38 pm

I don't think there was really a specific event that ended the boy band craze, I think it had just pretty much run it's course. Most people signify 9/11 as the real endpoint of that whole era, and I think that's an appropriate point, but I would say that Summer of 2002 was the absolute official end, as that's when NSYNC broke up.

Keep in mind that a large appeal of their popularity was that the singers were all very young. After a few years, of course, they were going to get older, and younger, cuter stars were going to emerge. Even Britney Spears, who by 2002 was 21 and thus not "young" anymore, had started changing her style by her third album.

Altogether, there were about 5 years or so that that type of music was really popular, and that said I'm referring to as early as the Spice Girls, and then the Backstreet Boys, NSYNC, Savage Garden, 98 Degrees, Britney Spears, Christina Aguilera, Mandy Moore, Jessica Simpson, BBMak, LFO, O-Town, etc). It was a good run.

Written By: 80sfan on 01/05/11 at 6:04 pm

Bye Bye Bye was a sign that the age of the late 90's boybands was gonna come to a close.  :P

Written By: 80sfan on 01/05/11 at 6:05 pm

That song was lame.

I liked it, actually I kinda still do. Shhhhhhh, it's a secret.  :-X

I like the song, but I'm not a huge Nsync or BSB fan.  ::)

Written By: DJ Blaze on 01/05/11 at 8:51 pm

I like "Stricken" and "Indestructible" too.

Both great songs. Stricken is in Guitar Hero 3.

Written By: DizzMcMinyard on 01/05/11 at 11:15 pm

The boy bands ended up merging with hip-hop a la N'Sync's Girlfriend song. Backstreet's last good one was The Call. I actually like both even today. Didn't care for the early boy band stuff which prob started with Hanson realistically. Never like 98 degrees or any other boy bands like that. To those who claim Jonas Brothers to be even be a boy band, sorry to say I don't agree. They are even more manufactured than the N'Sync/Backstreet Boys... What really ended the Boy Band Craze I'd say were two things... The decline of Britney Spears and Justin Timberlake going solo. Avril Lavigne and Beyonce essentially killed Britney's career. I know: She is a woman, but she represented the Pop movement, which the Boy Band fed upon. Avril brought the Rock side whereas Beyonce brought the Hip/Hop side with Destiny's Child. Timberlake destroyed his own band by leaving and evolved into a white R&B singer.
As an aside: I think that the late 90s Boy Band revival had much to do with the Spice Girls.. An American Counterpart was needed.. even if all male.

Written By: Howard on 01/06/11 at 6:27 am

Bye Bye Bye was a sign that the age of the late 90's boybands was gonna come to a close.  :P

and that we should look forward the future's boy bands.

Written By: Shiv on 01/06/11 at 10:56 am

and that we should look forward the future's boy bands.

NO!  8-P

Written By: tv on 01/06/11 at 1:47 pm

The boy bands ended up merging with hip-hop a la N'Sync's Girlfriend song. Backstreet's last good one was The Call. I actually like both even today. Didn't care for the early boy band stuff which prob started with Hanson realistically. Never like 98 degrees or any other boy bands like that. To those who claim Jonas Brothers to be even be a boy band, sorry to say I don't agree. They are even more manufactured than the N'Sync/Backstreet Boys... What really ended the Boy Band Craze I'd say were two things... The decline of Britney Spears and Justin Timberlake going solo. Avril Lavigne and Beyonce essentially killed Britney's career. I know: She is a woman, but she represented the Pop movement, which the Boy Band fed upon. Avril brought the Rock side whereas Beyonce brought the Hip/Hop side with Destiny's Child. Timberlake destroyed his own band by leaving and evolved into a white R&B singer.
As an aside: I think that the late 90s Boy Band revival had much to do with the Spice Girls.. An American Counterpart was needed.. even if all male.
What? Britney has had hit songs in the past few years. Generation Yers who grew up listening to her in 1999-2000 think she is not popular anymore because she's is not as popular presently as she was in 1999-2000. Its like why do these Generation Yers think this?

I am no Britney fan by the way.

Written By: Howard on 01/06/11 at 7:20 pm

NO!  8-P

Ok,So I guess we won't.

Written By: Brian06 on 01/06/11 at 9:12 pm

What? Britney has had hit songs in the past few years. Generation Yers who grew up listening to her in 1999-2000 think she is not popular anymore because she's is not as popular presently as she was in 1999-2000. Its like why do these Generation Yers think this?

Yeah not sure what they're thinking. "Toxic" was one of the biggest songs in 2004 and you had "Womanizer", "Circus", "3" as major airplay and download hits in 2008-9. "Gimme More" was a big download hit in 07 though didn't do too well on airplay. I like some Britney songs but I don't really think she's very talented. "Toxic" really takes me back to early 2004 and is one of her greatest songs (thanks to her producers).

Written By: Brian06 on 01/06/11 at 9:16 pm

Also Christina Aguilera was really popular in 2003 (though declined after that), "Beautiful", "Fighter", "Can't Hold Us Down" were all big hits. Jessica Simpson's "With You" was also a major hit early in 2004 as well.

Written By: Starde on 01/06/11 at 9:17 pm

I remember one person on these boards saying back in 2004 how teen-pop was still hot. I was like what?

Lol! That person must've been listening to Radio Disney or something back then because teen-pop was definitely not hot that year. Pretty much everyone was moving away from the pure teen-pop sound to a more urban or rock sound. Young popular artists back then like Jojo and Stacie Orrico who looked like they could've been more teen pop had an urban sound. I think I remember hearing a bit of Hilary Duff on the radio, but she was trying to go for a more pop-rock sound and Jesse McCartney was going for a more pop-R&B sound (he later achieved this in the late 00's with his 3rd album). I think the only pure pop songs that were popular on the radio back then was Jessica Simpson's "With You" and Britney Spears' "Toxic". I clearly remember hearing that played multiple times a day on my local Top 40 radio station. All in all, teen-pop's popularity on mainstream radio was basically dead and buried by 2003.

Written By: Howard on 01/07/11 at 6:52 am

Also Christina Aguilera was really popular in 2003 (though declined after that), "Beautiful", "Fighter", "Can't Hold Us Down" were all big hits. Jessica Simpson's "With You" was also a major hit early in 2004 as well.

Now they're not as popular as they once was.

Written By: joeman on 01/07/11 at 6:55 am

As far as Distrubed goes, I liked their first album alot and I especially liked "Down with the sickness".  Since then though, all their songs sounded the same.

Written By: tv on 01/07/11 at 1:07 pm

No Christina was still popular in 2006 because "Ain't No Other Man" was a hit. Her last album released last year was a flop though.

Written By: tv on 01/07/11 at 1:10 pm

Yeah not sure what they're thinking. "Toxic" was one of the biggest songs in 2004 and you had "Womanizer", "Circus", "3" as major airplay and download hits in 2008-9. "Gimme More" was a big download hit in 07 though didn't do too well on airplay. I like some Britney songs but I don't really think she's very talented. "Toxic" really takes me back to early 2004 and is one of her greatest songs (thanks to her producers).
"Sometimes" was an ok song by Britney back in 2000. I think "Baby One More Time" is classic and is the next most important song in the 90's next to "Smells Like Teen Spirit" by Nirvana. I know some grunge fans will not like me for saying that.

Written By: Shiv on 01/07/11 at 1:22 pm

"Sometimes" was an ok song by Britney back in 2000. I think "Baby One More Time" is classic and is the next most important song in the 90's next to "Smells Like Teen Spirit" by Nirvana. I know some grunge fans will not like me for saying that.

I disagree, "Baby One More time" came out in 1999, the end of the decade. I know its been said over and over but 1999 music is more 00s than 90s.

I would say its an important song for the 00s, since it established the "pop princess" thing which was a big part of 00s music.

Written By: Brian06 on 01/07/11 at 2:41 pm

No Christina was still popular in 2006 because "Ain't No Other Man" was a hit. Her last album released last year was a flop though.

I know Ain't No Other Man was hit, I never said she never had a hit after 2003, but my point is that she went from several hits in 2003, to basically just 1 major hit in 2006, and now she gets like no airplay. It's pretty much been a downward slope for her unfortunately.

Written By: Howard on 01/07/11 at 6:53 pm

I disagree, "Baby One More time" came out in 1999, the end of the decade. I know its been said over and over but 1999 music is more 00s than 90s.

I would say its an important song for the 00s, since it established the "pop princess" thing which was a big part of 00s music.

Would you consider Lady Gaga a "pop princess"? ???

Written By: bchris02 on 01/07/11 at 8:01 pm

Agree.  Music in 1999 sounded nothing like it did in 1995, which sounded nothing like it did in 1991.  The '90s were a heavily transitional decade and many genres were popular, but when I think of '90s music, I think of the core period of the decade running from 1993-1997.  In 1990-92 music was still heavily 80s influenced and in 1997-98 the sudden death of Eurodance and the sudden rise of boy bands and urban music set the stage for the '00s. 

Written By: DizzMcMinyard on 01/07/11 at 8:18 pm

Well, when I say her career was essentially killed, I don't mean she stopped having hits. I may have worded it wrongly. However I meant a decline in her popularity in the U.S. occurred. This can't be denied. Yeah, Toxic was a high point, but shortly after she released a greatest hits album, a concession of her decline must be acknowledged. I mean Madonna is still popular today, but more as a standard than a driver of pop culture like she was in the 80s and 90s right? Am I making any sense here?

Written By: lady on 01/26/11 at 9:30 am

Agree.  Music in 1999 sounded nothing like it did in 1995, which sounded nothing like it did in 1991.  The '90s were a heavily transitional decade and many genres were popular, but when I think of '90s music, I think of the core period of the decade running from 1993-1997.  In 1990-92 music was still heavily 80s influenced and in 1997-98 the sudden death of Eurodance and the sudden rise of boy bands and urban music set the stage for the '00s. 

I agree.  I think Pop music from 00-mid 01 still sounded like  that "1999" beat. I can't really explain it, but it did in my opinion.

Written By: 80sfan on 01/26/11 at 11:48 am

Well, when I say her career was essentially killed, I don't mean she stopped having hits. I may have worded it wrongly. However I meant a decline in her popularity in the U.S. occurred. This can't be denied. Yeah, Toxic was a high point, but shortly after she released a greatest hits album, a concession of her decline must be acknowledged. I mean Madonna is still popular today, but more as a standard than a driver of pop culture like she was in the 80s and 90s right? Am I making any sense here?

I remember when I was younger, Britney being HUGE from 1999 to about mid-2002. I think what you're trying to say is that she'll never be as big as she was from 1999 to 2002.

Written By: Brian06 on 01/26/11 at 1:12 pm

Would you consider Lady Gaga a "pop princess"? ???

I wouldn't because her music isn't that bubblegum, GaGa is way too edgy and dark to be called a pop princess same with Ke$ha, etc. The closest to a pop princess today is probably Taylor Swift.

Written By: Howard on 01/26/11 at 1:32 pm

I wouldn't because her music isn't that bubblegum, GaGa is way too edgy and dark to be called a pop princess same with Ke$ha, etc. The closest to a pop princess today is probably Taylor Swift.

I thought "bubblegum" was more 60's teen era music?

Written By: Shiv on 01/26/11 at 9:57 pm

To me a pop princess is pretty much any young, attractive, image-centric female singer who performs mainstream top 40 pop music.

Written By: Howard on 01/27/11 at 6:23 am

I remember when young girls were going crazy for The Beatles,The Jackson 5 and Kiss,that was when boy bands were hot.

Written By: tv on 01/27/11 at 11:47 am

I thought "bubblegum" was more 60's teen era music?
"Bubblegum-pop" was blazing hot in the 1999-2000 era.

Written By: tv on 01/27/11 at 11:48 am

I remember when young girls were going crazy for The Beatles,The Jackson 5 and Kiss,that was when boy bands were hot.
Like the Backstreet Boys and N' Sync weren't hot/popular back 10-12 years ago?

Written By: tv on 01/27/11 at 11:59 am

"Urban Music" was hot in the 90's but it was "smooth R&B" that was popular not rap/hip-hop like it was in the 2003-mid 2008 era.

Written By: 80sfan on 01/27/11 at 12:28 pm

I think one thing that killed the boy band craze was when the Dot Com bubble popped on March 10, 2000. Yup, that's it; that's what killed those boy bands.

http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/09/schuss.gif

Written By: Howard on 01/27/11 at 12:30 pm

"Bubblegum-pop" was blazing hot in the 1999-2000 era.

I thought bubblegum was a music term for children's music? ???

Written By: Howard on 01/27/11 at 12:31 pm

Like the Backstreet Boys and N' Sync weren't hot/popular back 10-12 years ago?

I'm talking about back in the days.

Written By: 80sfan on 01/27/11 at 12:32 pm

The term 'bubblegum' when it comes to music can range from sweet and teenybopper, to manufactured and overproduced.

Written By: tv on 01/27/11 at 12:39 pm

Um that era of teen-pop(1999-2000) was basically was basically aimed at people born in the late 80's(1987-1989) most likely so it was aimed at pre-teens.

Written By: tv on 01/27/11 at 12:41 pm

I think one thing that killed the boy band craze was when the Dot Com bubble popped on March 10, 2000. Yup, that's it; that's what killed those boy bands.

http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/09/schuss.gif
Funny I thought the dot com bubble was part of the reason for Britney's rise to fame.

Written By: 80sfan on 01/27/11 at 1:13 pm

Funny I thought the dot com bubble was part of the reason for Britney's rise to fame.

Actually, you're right. I was just being silly.  :o

Britney came out in late 1998 and the economy was great then!

Written By: Howard on 01/28/11 at 6:23 am

Um that era of teen-pop(1999-2000) was basically was basically aimed at people born in the late 80's(1987-1989) most likely so it was aimed at pre-teens.

Sort of like The Osmomds of the early 70's and The Jackson 5.

Written By: bchris02 on 01/31/11 at 10:06 pm

I was 15 in 2000 and I remember the boy bands being mostly popular with kids in elementary school at the time.  Some older teenagers liked them but Eminem, Dr. Dre, Korn, Slipknot, and Marilyn Manson were the most talked about musicians by people my age.  If you were male and over 14 and liked N'Sync you were labeled as gay.

Written By: tv on 02/01/11 at 11:06 am

I was 15 in 2000 and I remember the boy bands being mostly popular with kids in elementary school at the time.  Some older teenagers liked them but Eminem, Dr. Dre, Korn, Slipknot, and Marilyn Manson were the most talked about musicians by people my age.  If you were male and over 14 and liked N'Sync you were labeled as gay.
Yeah 2000 was probably the laat year that Marilyn Manson was popular. He was big about from 1996-2000. I liked "I Want You Back" and "Tearin Up My Heart" by N' Sync when I was a Senior in High School in 1998  I just don't like how teen-pop blew up in 1999-2000 with Britney. It got to be too popular then .I  liked R&B music in 1998 once the whole alternative rock thing went away in the early part of 1998.

Written By: 80sfan on 02/01/11 at 11:43 am

Yeah 2000 was probably the laat year that Marilyn Manson was popular. He was big about from 1996-2000. I liked "I Want You Back" and "Tearin Up My Heart" by N' Sync when I was a Senior in High School in 1998  I just don't like how teen-pop blew up in 1999-2000 with Britney. It got to be too popular then .I  liked R&B music in 1998 once the whole alternative rock thing went away in the early part of 1998.

I remember being a guy in 4th grade and all the girls were talking about which Backstreet Boy was the cutest!  ;D

I also remember parents being terrified by Marilyn Manson's influence on their teenagers.  ::)

Written By: bchris02 on 02/01/11 at 12:48 pm

I also remember parents being terrified by Marilyn Manson's influence on their teenagers.  ::)

Did he actually rip a live cat into pieces on stage and throw the bloody carcass out into the audience?  I heard that he did this but I never could confirm it.

Written By: 80sfan on 02/01/11 at 1:33 pm

Did he actually rip a live cat into pieces on stage and throw the bloody carcass out into the audience?  I heard that he did this but I never could confirm it.

Holy crap if he did that then he's more eccentric than I thought!

But no, I can't confirm it nor deny it.

Written By: Howard on 02/01/11 at 6:59 pm

Wasn't that Ozzy Osbourne who did that? ???

Written By: kitkat1991 on 02/02/11 at 9:58 am

you're so right! I was in 3rd- 4th grade when they were huge. Every girl in elementary school loved spears and boy bands.

Written By: Howard on 02/02/11 at 12:42 pm

Remember when everyone loved New Kids On The Block?

Written By: 80sfan on 02/02/11 at 1:31 pm

Remember when everyone loved New Kids On The Block?

They were popular in the late 80s and early 90s. And I was born in 1988 so I'd be waaay too young to remember them.

Written By: Starde on 02/02/11 at 8:45 pm

I'd stretch that range to early 90's babies (1990-1992). I remember being way into the teen pop scene in the late 90's/early 00's.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/11/20 at 11:41 am

Lack of interest with pop music investors investing money on other pop crazes.

Written By: DisneysRetro on 08/12/20 at 4:15 am

I think they all began to feel mature but the lawsuit against Lou Pearlman had a lot to do with it. Mostly all of the boy bands of the late 90’s and early 2000’s were all apart of the same sweetish/American label (including Britney) which was Jive records and Trans Continental records. This is why their sounds all had similar tempos and why they blew up around the same time (mainly with Max Martin productions tied to it). Around 2002 a lot of them ended or moved on per say because of the lawsuit filed against Lou Pearlman by the Backstreet boys for money laundering in 2001-2002. Lou Pearlman was the creator of Trans Continental records and the founder, creator and manager of Nsync, Backstreet Boys, O-Town, Aaron Carter, Jordan Knight, etc. after his lawsuit in 2002 the boy band/teen pop craze died.

A lot of people tie it to 9/11 but I don’t see how the two correlate. 9/11 politically changed us but pop culturally not so much. Also Nsync and Backstreet boys were products of Europe before America due to their label (despite them being American). It stopped due to legal battles with their label/manager.

Written By: GeekyAlgorithm on 10/05/20 at 9:25 am

I guess rap, but I loved teen pop! It's always being relevant around the turn of the decade. Now, we have Billie Eilish.

Written By: wixness on 10/05/20 at 10:40 am

One could argue it's either never truly ended (but it's never been at the height of popularity as it once was in those days) or it's been revived somewhat with the likes of 1D and K-pop, but if that's not the case, I'm agreeing with the aforementioned comments on here since I don't particularly follow bands.

Check for new replies or respond here...