inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Pre-Social Networking communication on the web.

Written By: Neo-Vista on 05/08/10 at 12:12 am

---------------------------------

Subject: Re: Pre-Social Networking communication on the web.

Written By: Brian06 on 05/09/10 at 12:57 am

When I was in high school in the first half of the decade we all used AIM.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/09/10 at 1:08 pm

Email itself was nerd2nerd until 1994.  You could certainly get an email account with AOL or whatever else was around.  If you didn't own a computer, you could use one at a library.  College students were encouraged to use campus computer labs.  The thing is, your friends and family didn't have email, so it just wasn't on people's minds.  The number of people with email addresses seemed to double between '94 and '96.  By the turn of the century, everybody was expected to have email.  From novelty to requirement in just five years.

I never used social networking before it was popular.  I had no use for it.  I started a Facebook account last year, but a rarely update it. 

Written By: joeman on 05/09/10 at 3:55 pm

In the 90s to 2003(before Myspace became big):

AIM
LiveJournal
Friendster
Newsgroups(one that was connected with RemarQ)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/10/10 at 12:42 am

http://img.diytrade.com/cdimg/608605/4358015/0/1190684676/Motorola_Mag_One_A8_two_ways_radios_walkie_talkie_mobile_radio_portable_radio.jpg

Written By: JamieMcBain on 05/10/10 at 2:45 pm

I was on AIM, Instant Messenger and ICQ.

Written By: Davester on 05/11/10 at 10:29 pm

I'm a relative latecomer to PCs.  Before I purchased this PC I used something called WebTV, this was in 1999.  There was a kind of chat room megasite called Talk City, which I joined.  Got my PC in 2000.  By the time I got rid of WebTV I was a member of around a half dozen chat rooms there...

When I wasn't chatting on Talk City, it was strictly e-mail...

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/11/10 at 11:01 pm

I remember people talking about Talk City.  Sounded kinda lame to me.  I was like, I'm such a dork I'd piddle away my time on a chat board!
:-\\

Written By: nally on 05/11/10 at 11:52 pm

A trip to the Past:

Talk City: http://www.talkcity.com/

Tribe.net: http://www.tribe.net/welcome

America Online: http://www.aol.com/

Live Journal:  http://www.livejournal.com/

I remember ICQ from about ten years ago, and I used AOL chat a lot.

Written By: Davester on 05/12/10 at 12:06 am

I remember people talking about Talk City.  Sounded kinda lame to me.  I was like, I'm such a dork I'd piddle away my time on a chat board!
:-\\

Thanks...

Written By: batfan2005 on 05/12/10 at 7:54 am

I used to go on Yahoo chat rooms, and at one time in the late 90's, Excite. Do any of you remember Excite?

Written By: joeman on 05/12/10 at 8:41 am

I used to go on Yahoo chat rooms, and at one time in the late 90's, Excite. Do any of you remember Excite?

I do, I used to have an email account on Excite.  To me, that was the Google of the 90s.

Written By: Davester on 05/12/10 at 4:25 pm

Yeah, I remember Excite.  AltaVista, Lycos, Go, AskJeeves.  AskJeeves, when it was new, wasn't bad.  After awhile, with any search, it wanted to bury a person in irrelevant crappola...

Written By: fredrickthe94guy on 05/16/10 at 3:31 am

Friendster

oh my god.... i almost forgot about friendster...lol thats ages ago.....

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 05/16/10 at 3:55 am

My first exposure to computer networking was old skool local BBS (bulletin board systems).  I must have called about a half dozen in my heyday.  Some actually had two or three ports set up so that in theory, I could chat with whatever user used to come on at the same time I was on. 
Met a few interesting people that way.  Also they had topics that you could post in (not unlike our beloved ooze.)  We'd get together for lunch or a birthday party or something every month or so.  Met one of my (still) best friends through one of the BBSes.

I tried out AOL and Prodigy for their month free trial periods.  Both offered message boards as I recall.

Finally when the library that I worked at got internet access (I'd stay many hours after work since I didn't have a home computer until a relatively short time ago (1997 or 1998?))  I used to spend HOURS chatting at webchat.com and yahoo chat.  I used ICQ for a couple years until I started getting unsolicited photos of extremely exaggerated male anatomy.  (How I got on THAT list, I still don't know.  ::) )  As soon as I'd sign in, there would be someone that I'd be talking to innocently killing way too much free time and we'd exchange photos and... whoa Nellie!  A little more then I wanted to know about him on the first chat. 

Wow that all seems a whole lifetime ago...and the memories are growing ever more distant as time keeps on slipping into the future.

Check for new replies or respond here...