inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Are the early 00s dated?

Written By: joeman on 06/11/10 at 8:53 am

I hate to say it, but it is.  Most of the music, movies, and fashion seems really silly now, and it is especially true whenever I see a Vin Disiel or a Jet Lee movie.  It sucks for me because I was finishing HS, and there was some good music out there(I am a huge fan of Lifehouse).

So do you guys think the early 00s aged well or not?

Subject: Re: Are the early 00s dated?

Written By: Starde on 06/11/10 at 1:11 pm

Hmm... :-\\ Let me put it this way. I can definitely tell if a song was made in the early 00's or the late 00's.

Written By: Mike from Jersey on 06/11/10 at 2:45 pm

NSYNC/Backstreet Boys/Oops I Did it Again era Britney Spears = dated
Internet circa 2000-2002 = dated
Hell, Internet circa 2003-2005 = dated
Reality TV craze (eg Survivor) = dated
Gross Out Comedies = dated
Ricky Martin-style hair = dated
Nu Metal = dated
Original iPods = very dated
non-HDTVs = dated

~~~~~

Now I was going to do some things that weren't dated, but I've kind of forgotten what I was going to include! Overall, I'd say the really early 00s (2000-2002) are a bit dated now, in certain areas more than others. However, I'd say that the differences are not as obvious as most decades (90s, 80s, 70s, 60s, and even 50s were very easy to tell differences apart). I guess time willl tell for the 00s.

Written By: Brian06 on 06/11/10 at 3:50 pm

Yeah really anything before 2006 is really very dated. Really one of the biggest changes I think was going from 2007 to 2009, we saw bling rap/crunk basically die in favor of more electro styled music, the rise of twitter, Obama's election, the damaging recession, post-grunge dying off, smartphones replace regular cell phones, death of analog broadcasting, etc. We've seen the world change quite a bit in just the last few years really. The early 2000s are way dated, they are 8-10 years ago so things change and it's to be expected.

Written By: superflykid2008 on 06/14/10 at 12:40 am

Yeah really anything before 2006 is really very dated. Really one of the biggest changes I think was going from 2007 to 2009, we saw bling rap/crunk basically die in favor of more electro styled music, the rise of twitter, Obama's election, the damaging recession, post-grunge dying off, smartphones replace regular cell phones, death of analog broadcasting, etc. We've seen the world change quite a bit in just the last few years really. The early 2000s are way dated, they are 8-10 years ago so things change and it's to be expected.

Yeah, I graduatated from high school in 08, and around the time it seemed like music and things in general were changing.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/14/10 at 9:26 pm

They were dated from the start!
::)

Written By: bchris02 on 06/14/10 at 9:33 pm

I hate to say it, but it is.  Most of the music, movies, and fashion seems really silly now, and it is especially true whenever I see a Vin Disiel or a Jet Lee movie.  It sucks for me because I was finishing HS, and there was some good music out there(I am a huge fan of Lifehouse).

Ah...how I miss the early '00s.  I was in high school, music was good, the new technology coming every year was so exciting, no recession or oil spill, today simply just doesn't compare.  This is a topic that for me at least, makes me realize that its not always best to divide time by decade.  The early '00s in my opinion were pretty much just an extension of the late '90s.  It wasn't until 2003 that things started to really change. 

Written By: Starde on 06/14/10 at 10:01 pm

Ah...how I miss the early '00s.  I was in high school, music was good, the new technology coming every year was so exciting, no recession or oil spill, today simply just doesn't compare.  This is a topic that for me at least, makes me realize that its not always best to divide time by decade.  The early '00s in my opinion were pretty much just an extension of the late '90s.  It wasn't until 2003 that things started to really change. 

You know, I've always believed that 00's culture didn't start 'til 2003/2004.

Written By: yelimsexa on 06/15/10 at 6:33 am

I'd say technology takes the cake in terms of early '00s datedness.

Gamecube = Dead
Any Cathode Ray Tube (CRT) monitor = very dated! (They were still common up to 2003 or so!)
Gameboy Advance = very dated
Regular XBOX = Obsolete
Playstation 2 = Obsolete
Friendster = Nearly dead
Myspace = dated (peaked in mid '00s however)
Compact flip cellphones = dated
Regular DVDs = dated
HD DVD = dead (a mid '00s thing)
Homeland security terror alert system = underground (I last saw it in use around early 2007 in the media)

Even the commercials in a way feel dated (some of them as I find the early '00s a mixed time between the HD era and typical SDTV 20th century commercials). Mostly movies and some big ticket items were your widescreen commercials at the time. The graphics, while modern and CGI on many ads, weren't quite as "in your face" as they have been since 2004-05, plus there are still some fairly catchy jingles compared to the blandness of today's all about image obsession. Just watch a block or two of commercials from the early 2000s on Youtube and compare with what's current and you'll see why.

Written By: fredrickthe94guy on 06/18/10 at 6:08 am

i feel old already lol :P

well i'm still in high school atm but still

this is 2010 and early 00s and late 90s i believe was the era that i miss

remember the pulpy trend backthen?

yeah true... since 2003 we seems to be in a major rollercoaster and 9/11 was sort of the warning of this instability era that we still live in :(

actually yeah i think the pop culture of an era usually start in 4th year of the decade and ends in the 3rd year of the next decade seemingly...

i really miss the early 00s and late 90s

Written By: yelimsexa on 06/18/10 at 6:40 am

i feel old already lol :P

well i'm still in high school atm but still

this is 2010 and early 00s and late 90s i believe was the era that i miss

remember the pulpy trend backthen?

yeah true... since 2003 we seems to be in a major rollercoaster and 9/11 was sort of the warning of this instability era that we still live in :(

actually yeah i think the pop culture of an era usually start in 4th year of the decade and ends in the 3rd year of the next decade seemingly...

i really miss the early 00s and late 90s

I felt the same way with missing the late 80s and early 90s ten years ago when I was still in high school as it was the first "era" in my life in which I was "there". By 2000, being on the Internet and having a cellphone along with the fashion/graphic design trends really made me long for that era, and that is even bigger today with all the advances of the '00s. At least thanks to the Internet, I could look up some stuff from that era and relive that era, as well as "discovering" earlier eras before my time (I love the '50s-early '80s!) But I currently view the late '90s and early '00s as "campy"; to old to be current enough, but not quite old enough to be "retro", and I'll probably never quite experience the nostalgia of that era the same way as you did since it was your first era in which you were "there". Some say that technology grows exponentially, and I can see why these days people only in their mid-teens already feel a sense of nostalgia for their early childhood, even if it was only around 7-12 years ago. I never cared really for the '00s as I tended to look at nostalgia for earlier decades over that timespan (maybe EARLY reality TV is all I'll be nostalgic for.) I never really cared for the music especially, because I thought it wasn't any good.

Written By: fredrickthe94guy on 06/18/10 at 6:44 am

lol i do agree that late 90s and 00s is seemingly very campy and the moment... only a decade ago :P

but yeah very true... explosion in the development on technology across the globe plus internet... i miss my childhood back then

Written By: Two Lost Souls on 06/19/10 at 8:32 pm

I agree with all of that.  I think everything in general was better in the early part of that decade.    A lot of things were still new and exciting.  Music was still inovative, Tv and movies were as well.  Now, those 3 areas of media are all about remaking things that already happened.  The same thing could be said about technology.  We've reached a point where everything has been created and now technology is all about making people even more lazy and ignorant.

Fashion of the 00's and today are the same way.  It's all recycled looks from the 60s, 70s, and 80s, nothing really inovative or creative.

To me, it just seems like everything went downhill after 9/11 and we never really got back to "normal". 

Written By: rgd51 on 06/20/10 at 2:51 am

The early 00s are most definitely dated. I was in 2nd through 6th grade in the period of 2000 to 2003 and the fashions and music has changed so much since then. In 2000 bands such as Blink 182, Sum 41, Good Charlotte, etc were huge and nowadays they hardly get played.

Written By: bchris02 on 06/20/10 at 2:21 pm

The early 00s are most definitely dated. I was in 2nd through 6th grade in the period of 2000 to 2003 and the fashions and music has changed so much since then. In 2000 bands such as Blink 182, Sum 41, Good Charlotte, etc were huge and nowadays they hardly get played.

Too bad all of the good mainstream rock got supplanted by Nickelback and the billions of clones early in the decade.  The 2000s pretty much destroyed rock as a mainstream genre.

Written By: joeman on 06/20/10 at 7:48 pm

Too bad all of the good mainstream rock got supplanted by Nickelback and the billions of clones early in the decade.  The 2000s pretty much destroyed rock as a mainstream genre.

Yeah, I am really hoping that Nickelback dies out.  Their style of music has been overdone by so many other acts.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 06/21/10 at 8:06 am

I was a little younger (entering high school in 2001), but I have basically the same view. I think that one sign of a particular era becoming dated is when you begin to see musical artists of said era trying to change their styles to keep up with the times (i.e. Motley Crue's disastrous attempt at an "alternative" rock album back in 1997). At least one recent example of this was when Linkin Park came out with an album back in 2007 that, except for one song, gave almost no allusions to the fact that they had once been one of the major "rap-rock" groups.

Aside from the obvious point of early '00s music being dated, alot of the technology is as well. The DVD format was still rather new, and many people were still using VCR's, so many movies were still being released on VHS alongside DVD at that time. Also, even though a majority of people had a computer with internet access by 2000, less than 10% had a high-speed connection, but today it seems almost everyone does.

That's one thing from back then that I certainly don't miss. We first got internet access back in April of 2000, and having to wait 10 minutes for one page to load was a major pain.

Written By: joeman on 06/21/10 at 6:46 pm

I was a little younger (entering high school in 2001), but I have basically the same view. I think that one sign of a particular era becoming dated is when you begin to see musical artists of said era trying to change their styles to keep up with the times (i.e. Motley Crue's disastrous attempt at an "alternative" rock album back in 1997). At least one recent example of this was when Linkin Park came out with an album back in 2007 that, except for one song, gave almost no allusions to the fact that they had once been one of the major "rap-rock" groups.

Aside from the obvious point of early '00s music being dated, alot of the technology is as well. The DVD format was still rather new, and many people were still using VCR's, so many movies were still being released on VHS alongside DVD at that time. Also, even though a majority of people had a computer with internet access by 2000, less than 10% had a high-speed connection, but today it seems almost everyone does.

That's one thing from back then that I certainly don't miss. We first got internet access back in April of 2000, and having to wait 10 minutes for one page to load was a major pain.

True, things like Myspace, Youtube, etc...didn't show up huge until mid-decade, so there wasn't a massive internet communication beyond chatrooms/forums then.

Written By: whistledog on 06/21/10 at 9:37 pm

Are the early 00's dated?  I dunno, but I used to date your mom in the early 00's :D

Written By: batfan2005 on 06/25/10 at 8:28 pm

Looking back, I think that 2005-2008 was a transitional period. We started to hear more electro-style music during that time, but it wasn't quite obvious that it was the dominant style until 2009 and 2010 with artists like Lady Gaga, Ke$ha, and similar artists taking the charts. We did hear some autotune R&B as early as 2005 with T-Pain, and more artists used them each year after that. Don't forget during that time period (as much as you want to) all the cheesy ringtone rap with Soulja Boy and similar artists.

I would say that 2000-2002 is dated, but not everything from 2003-2005, yet.

Written By: joeman on 06/26/10 at 9:54 am

I think that one sign of a particular era becoming dated is when you begin to see musical artists of said era trying to change their styles to keep up with the times (i.e. Motley Crue's disastrous attempt at an "alternative" rock album back in 1997).

Speaking of which, here is a rare gem in the mid-90s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlN2j-W0qTw

I guess the thousands of women he slept with didn't cure his teenage angst.

Written By: rgd51 on 06/27/10 at 3:08 am

Im starting to think anything before 2003 is somewhat dated and before 1998 very dated

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/30/10 at 9:56 pm

If you have a half gallon of milk left over from the early 00s, rent a hazmat suit and get rid of it!
8-P

Written By: fredrickthe94guy on 02/15/11 at 12:42 am

well in 5 years time at least you will think early 00's are definitely dated... most of early 00's up to 2003 basically a post 90s era echo effect ;)

Written By: Brian06 on 02/15/11 at 4:05 am

The early '00s are clearly dated now (as in there's definitely a difference), it is a decade ago now. Even the mid '00s are now dated and certainly somewhat different than today. Today's smartphones are more powerful than the computers of the early 2000s. Look at footage from 2001 and notice how dated the on screen graphics are, there's a clear difference from early 2000s and late 2000s and now. That's how it pretty much always is though, you get 5 or more years and you start seeing differences I would say. The fashion is definitely different, the music is way different.

Written By: Howard on 02/15/11 at 6:33 am

Yes the 00's are dated.

Written By: yelimsexa on 02/15/11 at 6:46 am

Yes the 00's are dated.

Even 2009 to a small degree! The number one reason:
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2006/02/ipad.jpg

Even as late as early 2008 you didn't hear the term "get the app" in the media. Since my last post on this thread, I move the "somewhat dated" threshold to 2007 (Twitter didn't become important until 2008) and the "very dated" to 2002 (before mainstream urban/Web 2.0/emo/HDTV was in its infancy/CDs still king). But I wouldn't get "retro" until 1998 (just before Britney/Eminem came out and the Internet/cellphones were a necessity rather than a novelty.)

However, when I Google searched "retro" in the news bar, GoozerNation's Retro-review of a game was Shadow of the Colossus, and that only came out 5 years and 3 months ago! Sorry, but that's too soon!

Written By: Shiv on 02/15/11 at 8:18 am

Definitely.

Actually I can't believe how dated even 2004-2007 feels now.

Written By: Howard on 02/15/11 at 12:28 pm

Definitely.

Actually I can't believe how dated even 2004-2007 feels now.

I know it seems like yesterday,we were thinking about the future.

Written By: 80sfan on 02/15/11 at 12:44 pm

If you have a half gallon of milk left over from the early 00s, rent a hazmat suit and get rid of it!
8-P

I shouldn't have drank that milk carton that said '11/21/01' on the side.  :-\\

Written By: Howard on 02/15/11 at 12:46 pm

Even 2009 to a small degree! The number one reason:
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2006/02/ipad.jpg

Even as late as early 2008 you didn't hear the term "get the app" in the media. Since my last post on this thread, I move the "somewhat dated" threshold to 2007 (Twitter didn't become important until 2008) and the "very dated" to 2002 (before mainstream urban/Web 2.0/emo/HDTV was in its infancy/CDs still king). But I wouldn't get "retro" until 1998 (just before Britney/Eminem came out and the Internet/cellphones were a necessity rather than a novelty.)

However, when I Google searched "retro" in the news bar, GoozerNation's Retro-review of a game was Shadow of the Colossus, and that only came out 5 years and 3 months ago! Sorry, but that's too soon!

and I remember when cellphones had an antenna.

Written By: Milkof1996 on 02/15/11 at 1:23 pm

I shouldn't have drank that milk carton that said '11/21/01' on the side.  :-\\

Well, looks like you got 12 hours to live then  :)

Written By: Kitkat1991 on 02/15/11 at 6:33 pm

i'd say they are. I remember those little nokia cell phones with those whack ring tones coming popular in like 03. The very early 00s like 00-0 to like early 02 are dated imo. I mean boybands and teen pop were still huge.

Written By: Kitkat1991 on 02/15/11 at 6:34 pm

i'd say they are. I remember those little nokia cell phones with those whack ring tones coming popular in like 03. The very early 00s like 00-01 to like early 02 are dated imo. I mean boybands and teen pop were still huge.

Written By: 80sfan on 02/15/11 at 6:45 pm

Well, looks like you got 12 hours to live then  :)

Oh boy.

Written By: Howard on 02/16/11 at 6:41 am

i'd say they are. I remember those little nokia cell phones with those whack ring tones coming popular in like 03. The very early 00s like 00-0 to like early 02 are dated imo. I mean boybands and teen pop were still huge.

I remember when The Nokias had antennas.

Written By: yelimsexa on 02/16/11 at 10:42 am

The earliest usage in the media of the term "smartphone application" actually dates from March 2002:

"HillCast's MidCast is the first of its kind smartphone application enabling real-time stock checking. It is currently available through Motorola and Nextel."
http://goliath.ecnext.com/premium/0199/0199-1513138.html

I guess that's the beginning of the "modern era" in a sense there.

Written By: Brian06 on 02/16/11 at 3:32 pm

Smartphones were absolutely around in the first half of the '00s (Windows Mobile, Blackberry, Symbian, and Palm), but mostly targeted business users and not consumers.

Written By: JTCool on 02/16/11 at 9:37 pm

I remember when The Nokias had antennas.

My parents had those kind of Nokias in the early 00s and as kids we thought the phones were so cool, and we'd always play the game snake on it. Hearing anything similar to the ringtone of it gives me nostalgia. I guess that's pretty sad for a 17 year old to get nostalga haha

Written By: fredrickthe94guy on 02/17/11 at 3:55 am

My parents had those kind of Nokias in the early 00s and as kids we thought the phones were so cool, and we'd always play the game snake on it. Hearing anything similar to the ringtone of it gives me nostalgia. I guess that's pretty sad for a 17 year old to get nostalga haha

DUDE! you thought you sad??? your not alone thats for sure... i miss the late 90s and the early 00's vibe

they are awesome time to grow up!!! you can enjoy all the songs!!!

remember playing the old sims when it came out ahhh ...  ;D

Written By: Howard on 02/17/11 at 6:28 am

or The Nokias that look like a small calculator.

Written By: JTCool on 02/17/11 at 7:40 pm

or The Nokias that look like a small calculator.

Haha I remember those too.

And fredrick, I don't know how old you were than but I was only 7-10 in the early 00s and Sims was like a big kids game in this town so I never got to play it that much but all the older kids had one! Darn haha

Written By: Howard on 02/17/11 at 8:07 pm

And fredrick, I don't know how old you were than but I was only 7-10 in the early 00s and Sims was like a big kids game in this town so I never got to play it that much but all the older kids had one! Darn haha

I still have The Sims.

Written By: fredrickthe94guy on 02/17/11 at 9:53 pm

i was 7 - 10 years old too were the same age :P but my sister let me play the sims... we never really figure out anything explicit in there ;)

remember when britney wasnt a bitch :D

Written By: Shiv on 02/18/11 at 6:13 am

The Sims was (and still is) awesome. I still have my original from 2000.

Written By: Howard on 02/18/11 at 6:18 am

The Sims was (and still is) awesome. I still have my original from 2000.

Do you have The Playstation 2,I have mine.

Written By: JTCool on 02/18/11 at 6:44 pm

i was 7 - 10 years old too were the same age :P but my sister let me play the sims... we never really figure out anything explicit in there ;)

remember when britney wasnt a bitch :D

Haha yes I do. Pokeman was also huge for kids back then too. I don't know which came first but the show was popular and the cards. People were trading pokeman cards like they were baseball cards or something!

Written By: Howard on 02/18/11 at 8:34 pm

Or How about Tamagotchis?

Written By: Starde on 02/19/11 at 3:30 pm

I never got the appeal with Tamagotchis back then. I always thought those type of toys were lame.

Yo, anyone remember Hit Clips?!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rH8hFMYVTw

I remember wanting one when I was younger, but I'm so glad I never got one. I mean, what? 30-60 seconds of a song? Those things were such a ripoff!

Written By: Howard on 02/19/11 at 6:28 pm

I never got the appeal with Tamagotchis back then. I always thought those type of toys were lame.

I remember wanting one when I was younger, but I'm so glad I never got one. I mean, what? 30-60 seconds of a song? Those things were such a ripoff!

Wow,they almost look like little Ipods.

Written By: fredrickthe94guy on 02/22/11 at 5:46 pm

Haha yes I do. Pokeman was also huge for kids back then too. I don't know which came first but the show was popular and the cards. People were trading pokeman cards like they were baseball cards or something!

yes before the leave britney alone video existed i remember the days of that and i like pokemon!!! everyone talks about it and i love the movies of it!!!

and yeah i remember owning tamagotchi in the early 00s as everykid in the town has it lol :D i dunno what happen to mine its been gone ages

Written By: Howard on 02/22/11 at 7:25 pm

yes before the leave britney alone video existed i remember the days of that and i like pokemon!!! everyone talks about it and i love the movies of it!!!

and yeah i remember owning tamagotchi in the early 00s as everykid in the town has it lol :D i dunno what happen to mine its been gone ages

I still have my Tamagotchi somewhere,I haven't used it for years.

Written By: bchris02 on 02/22/11 at 9:23 pm

Tamagotchi was more of a late '90s fad where I lived.  By 2000 they were pretty much gone. 

Written By: JTCool on 02/22/11 at 9:50 pm

LOL! I still have mine! Although they are somewhere buried in with all my other childhood things. I had the little toy radio that would play the clips, I think it was NSYNC and Britney Spears. I can't believe how cool I thought it was to listen to short clips of a song!

Written By: Howard on 02/23/11 at 6:30 am

Tamagotchi was more of a late '90s fad where I lived.  By 2000 they were pretty much gone. 

You can probably get them on ebay.

Written By: Milkof1996 on 02/23/11 at 3:27 pm

There was a mini Tamagotchi fad in my 5th grade class black in 2007. EVERYONE had one, including me, I don't know why Tamagotchi suddenly became popular in my elementary school back then. :-\\

Written By: fredrickthe94guy on 02/26/11 at 10:45 pm

There was a mini Tamagotchi fad in my 5th grade class black in 2007. EVERYONE had one, including me, I don't know why Tamagotchi suddenly became popular in my elementary school back then. :-\\

i saw the tamagotchi adds the other month :p its not completely dissapeared but its definitely was not as popular as back then... plus the little kids of today (as of the early tennies) are basically bew to all this

suddenly i feel old :p i thought my generation of hopeful childrens will experience the era of optimism forever.... damn times have change and i bet most people my age or few years senior than me will miss the early 00s sometimes this decade :P

Written By: Howard on 02/27/11 at 3:16 pm

i saw the tamagotchi adds the other month :p its not completely dissapeared but its definitely was not as popular as back then... plus the little kids of today (as of the early tennies) are basically bew to all this

suddenly i feel old :p i thought my generation of hopeful childrens will experience the era of optimism forever.... damn times have change and i bet most people my age or few years senior than me will miss the early 00s sometimes this decade :P

I have a Tamagotchi but it needs batteries.

Written By: fredrickthe94guy on 02/28/11 at 12:44 am

Do you have The Playstation 2,I have mine.

YES I STILL HAVE THE BULKY WHITE PS2!!

Written By: Howard on 02/28/11 at 6:26 am

I have the small black one that looks like a notebook.

Written By: Milkof1996 on 02/28/11 at 6:25 pm

I used to have a bulky black ps2, until the laser messed up and I had to throw it away

Written By: fredrickthe94guy on 02/28/11 at 8:21 pm

my ps2 is still in good conditions :p

Written By: Howard on 03/01/11 at 6:20 am

my ps2 is still in good conditions :p

Do you play games on it?  ???

Written By: fredrickthe94guy on 03/02/11 at 5:33 am

hah not anymore.... last time i played it was last year....  :P

Written By: Howard on 03/02/11 at 6:29 am

hah not anymore.... last time i played it was last year....  :P

I still play wrestling games on it,I went from Gameboy in 1989 to PS2 a few years ago.

Written By: popguru85 on 03/03/11 at 11:21 pm

Still Have a fat ps2 with a couple games and it is the only one I had to replace due to the laser burning out on the old one. I was talking with my mom and we reminisced about when she did traffic for NYC radio and eventually WCBS. The interesting part is that some of the people she used to work with, contact me on facebook and ask me when I'm coming back to the city to do stand up. The early 2000-2001 era will always be associated with me starting high school and my mom working on TV.

Written By: youngerderek on 04/10/11 at 10:43 am

yes and no. what i mean is - if you gave me a piece of technology from the early 00s, or played me a song from 2002 amidst 2010 and 2011 hits, it would seem very dated and out of place.

but transport me back to the early 00s, and i really dont think it would feel all that different being there. for that, i think you would have to go back to the 90s, probably back to about 1997 or 1998.

Written By: fredrickthe94guy on 04/11/11 at 5:35 am

yes and no. what i mean is - if you gave me a piece of technology from the early 00s, or played me a song from 2002 amidst 2010 and 2011 hits, it would seem very dated and out of place.

but transport me back to the early 00s, and i really dont think it would feel all that different being there. for that, i think you would have to go back to the 90s, probably back to about 1997 or 1998.

actually culturally between 1998-2002 are very much the same so associating early 00's also means late 90s to me anyway

Written By: SuperDude526 on 05/01/11 at 12:30 am

NSYNC/Backstreet Boys/Oops I Did it Again era Britney Spears = dated
Internet circa 2000-2002 = dated
Hell, Internet circa 2003-2005 = dated
Reality TV craze (eg Survivor) = dated
Gross Out Comedies = dated
Ricky Martin-style hair = dated
Nu Metal = dated
Original iPods = very dated
non-HDTVs = dated

~~~~~

Now I was going to do some things that weren't dated, but I've kind of forgotten what I was going to include! Overall, I'd say the really early 00s (2000-2002) are a bit dated now, in certain areas more than others. However, I'd say that the differences are not as obvious as most decades (90s, 80s, 70s, 60s, and even 50s were very easy to tell differences apart). I guess time willl tell for the 00s.

Agreed with all but the nu-metal and reality TV part of that.  Reality TV as you may have noticed is actually alive and well, such as that Kardashian show and the 16 and Pregnant and copycats.  Nu-metal as a growing genre may be dead, but there's quite an underground following still.

Written By: Shiv on 05/01/11 at 11:46 am

Agreed with all but the nu-metal and reality TV part of that.  Reality TV as you may have noticed is actually alive and well, such as that Kardashian show and the 16 and Pregnant and copycats.  Nu-metal as a growing genre may be dead, but there's quite an underground following still.

Reality TV is past its prime and played out. Its nowhere near as popular now as it was circa 2003 or even 2007.

Actual TV shows (like with actual actors and stuff) are back on the upswing.

Written By: Howard on 05/01/11 at 12:28 pm

Reality TV is past its prime and played out. Its nowhere near as popular now as it was circa 2003 or even 2007.

And I remember when I first watched Survivor in 2001 now I lost my interest in the show.

Written By: 80sfan on 05/01/11 at 2:59 pm

I still think reality tv is still popular. But I guess you're right, it's not as popular as a few years ago.

Written By: SuperDude526 on 05/01/11 at 11:07 pm

I mean aside from Mad Men and a few HBO TV dramas I can't really think of anything like that...

Written By: Howard on 05/02/11 at 6:44 am

I still think reality tv is still popular. But I guess you're right, it's not as popular as a few years ago.

or 10 years ago when it first came on the air.

Written By: tv on 05/03/11 at 5:16 pm

I always thought Reality TV on basic TV channels(CBS, NBC, and FOX) was popular from 2000-2004 and then from 2005+ reality TV shows were popular on cable TV networks.

Written By: Howard on 05/03/11 at 7:35 pm

I always thought Reality TV on basic TV channels(CBS, NBC, and FOX) was popular from 2000-2004 and then from 2005+ reality TV shows were popular on cable TV networks.

and the popularity of reality shows grew.

Written By: tv on 05/06/11 at 2:50 pm

and the popularity of reality shows grew.
No in 2005 "Dramas" were the popular show type on TV not reality shows. I mean "Desperate Housewives" and "Grey's Anatomy" were popular. The whole Drama show type became big starting with the 2004-2005 TV season.

Written By: Howard on 05/06/11 at 7:10 pm

No in 2005 "Dramas" were the popular show type on TV not reality shows. I mean "Desperate Housewives" and "Grey's Anatomy" were popular. The whole Drama show type became big starting with the 2004-2005 TV season.

I always wondered when television will go back to family shows like Cosby,Family Ties and Full House? ???

Written By: sonikuu on 05/06/11 at 7:25 pm

I always wondered when television will go back to family shows like Cosby,Family Ties and Full House? ???

Meh, the drama shows of the 00s were far better than the family sitcoms of the 80s and 90s.  People forget that those shows were so formulaic and episodic.  I like the overarching, continuous storyline of dramas more.  A 00s show like Lost or Heroes is far more appealing to me than typical family sitcoms where the plotlines all ran together and no episode impacted the next at all.  Granted, not all of them were bad.  I love Fresh Prince of Bel Air, although that's not really a typical "family sitcom", if you will. 

The 00s were very unique in that it had some of most intelligent, well crafted tv shows in history, along with some of the dumbest, trashiest tv shows in history...both existing side by side.  90s shows (outside of cartoons, which have nostalgia factor for me) seemed to follow the bell curve (a few good, a few bad, most in the middle) pretty well while the 00s seemed to reverse it.  The early 2010s have continued the trend.  On the one hand, we have Mad Men, one of the most critically acclaimed shows of the past twenty years.  On the other hand, we have Jersey Shore.

Written By: batfan2005 on 05/09/11 at 10:02 am

And "Lost", my favorite drama from that season. I also noticed a return of sitcoms in the 2005-06 season, mainly on Fox such as "The War At Home", "Stacked", and "Till Death".

Written By: joeman on 05/10/11 at 12:00 pm

Throwing it out there, I watched a movie the other day called "Remember Me" which is a romance/drama set before 9/11 in 2001 with Robert Pattinson playing as a 22 year old college student.  It isn't heavy with nostalgia, but it was interesting look at that time and how kids were then.

Written By: fredrickthe94guy on 05/15/11 at 1:38 am

Meh, the drama shows of the 00s were far better than the family sitcoms of the 80s and 90s.  People forget that those shows were so formulaic and episodic.  I like the overarching, continuous storyline of dramas more.  A 00s show like Lost or Heroes is far more appealing to me than typical family sitcoms where the plotlines all ran together and no episode impacted the next at all.  Granted, not all of them were bad.  I love Fresh Prince of Bel Air, although that's not really a typical "family sitcom", if you will. 

The 00s were very unique in that it had some of most intelligent, well crafted tv shows in history, along with some of the dumbest, trashiest tv shows in history...both existing side by side.  90s shows (outside of cartoons, which have nostalgia factor for me) seemed to follow the bell curve (a few good, a few bad, most in the middle) pretty well while the 00s seemed to reverse it.  The early 2010s have continued the trend.  On the one hand, we have Mad Men, one of the most critically acclaimed shows of the past twenty years.  On the other hand, we have Jersey Shore.

yes this is very true... scrubs is the 00's thing but faded in late 00s... how i met your mother is good!!.... friends are good btw and they are from the 90s... so as dharma and greg... late 90s early 00s shows... they have some of the most entertaining sitcoms back then... yet its still much more conserved attitude than today's

Written By: Anonymous on 07/20/11 at 1:17 pm

Early 2000s seemed the best out of the 2000s, the rest was crap.

Written By: tv on 07/20/11 at 2:09 pm

yes this is very true... scrubs is the 00's thing but faded in late 00s... how i met your mother is good!!.... friends are good btw and they are from the 90s... so as dharma and greg... late 90s early 00s shows... they have some of the most entertaining sitcoms back then... yet its still much more conserved attitude than today's
No "Friends" ended in 2004 though. Yeah it started in the 90's(1994) though.

Written By: 19brandon90 on 12/07/13 at 10:54 pm

Now that it is almost 2014, what do you think? Are the mid 00's dated now? I think anything before 2008 is dated. Things just seemed way different before 2008. 2008 is going on 6 years ago now.

Written By: The Classic ROBLOX Fedora on 12/08/13 at 9:59 am

"Now that it is almost 2014, what do you think? Are the mid 00's dated now? I think anything before 2008 is dated. Things just seemed way different before 2008. 2008 is going on 6 years ago now."

I agree. Early-mid 2006 were definitely old school, Late 2006 and 2007 seem to be pushing from old school to new school, and 2008 is definitely the first totally new school year.

Written By: thenewtattoo on 12/08/13 at 4:10 pm

"Now that it is almost 2014, what do you think? Are the mid 00's dated now? I think anything before 2008 is dated. Things just seemed way different before 2008. 2008 is going on 6 years ago now."

I agree. Early-mid 2006 were definitely old school, Late 2006 and 2007 seem to be pushing from old school to new school, and 2008 is definitely the first totally new school year.

The cutoff for anything dated is mid 2008

Written By: thenewtattoo on 12/08/13 at 5:14 pm

Not all of 2008 tho only half of 2008

Written By: 19brandon90 on 12/08/13 at 5:28 pm

Not all of 2008 tho only half of 2008
everything changed in the Fall of 2008. The economic disaster, election of Obama. We also had new musical artists like Lady Gaga and Katy Perry. 2013 feels very similar to 2008. iPads didn't exist back in 2008 though. Those came out in 2010.

Written By: 80sfan on 12/08/13 at 6:44 pm

In my opinion, anything before 2003 seems 'outdated'. So yes, the early 00s are outdated in my eyes.

Written By: thenewtattoo on 12/08/13 at 6:47 pm

everything changed in the Fall of 2008. The economic disaster, election of Obama. We also had new musical artists like Lady Gaga and Katy Perry. 2013 feels very similar to 2008. iPads didn't exist back in 2008 though. Those came out in 2010.

how does 2013 seem like 2008

Written By: warped on 12/08/13 at 6:53 pm

how does 2013 seem like 2008

Both are years that decadeologists tried to wreck inthe00s?

As per inthe00s's rules written by Tam : " Decadeology is the discussion and/or comparison of two or more years or decades that have no bearing on one another. "  These years have no bearing on one another.

http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=32990.msg1674152#msg1674152

Please continue the discussion without comparing years/decades.

Thanks folks...

Written By: 80sfan on 12/08/13 at 7:03 pm

Both are years that decadeologists tried to wreck inthe00s?

As per inthe00s's rules written by Tam : " Decadeology is the discussion and/or comparison of two or more years or decades that have no bearing on one another. "  These years have no bearing on one another.

http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=32990.msg1674152#msg1674152

Please continue the discussion without comparing years/decades.

Thanks folks...

Oh. I took part in decadeology, I should be arrested in inthe00s jail!

http://jidesane.files.wordpress.com/2012/04/little-boy-arrested.jpg

Written By: whistledog on 12/08/13 at 7:09 pm

Oh. I took part in decadeology, I should be arrested in inthe00s jail!

Mob mentality.  You are forgiven :)

Written By: 80sfan on 12/08/13 at 7:51 pm

Mob mentality.  You are forgiven :)

;D

Written By: Howard on 12/09/13 at 7:03 am

In my opinion, anything before 2003 seems 'outdated'. So yes, the early 00s are outdated in my eyes.

anything over 10 years is outdated.

Written By: whistledog on 12/10/13 at 12:47 am

anything over 10 years is outdated.

So you are outdated? :D

Written By: Howard on 12/10/13 at 7:26 am

So you are outdated? :D

;D Are You?

Written By: Slim95 on 12/10/13 at 4:22 pm

Yes they are.

Written By: Emman on 12/10/13 at 11:33 pm

They are not dated in the same way 1962 was in 1973 when American Graffiti came out, the slogan where were you in '62 made sense because so much cultural change happened between those years.

The same cannot be said of 2002 and 2013 though, I feel if I was suddenly transported to 2002 without my knowledge I won't know the difference from the fashions, car styles, ect, only by looking at some of the technological devices(old cellphones, CRT computers, no youtube, ect) would I know I was in the early '00s.

Written By: MarkMc1990 on 12/10/13 at 11:37 pm

The same cannot be said of 2002 and 2013 though, I feel if I was suddenly transported to 2002 without my knowledge I won't know the difference from the fashions, car styles, ect, only by looking at some of the technological devices(old cellphones, CRT computers, no youtube, ect) would I know I was in the early '00s.

You're probably right. Although it begs the question, how far back in time do you think you'd have to go to notice a difference?

Written By: XYkid on 12/10/13 at 11:45 pm

They are not dated in the same way 1962 was in 1973 when American Graffiti came out, the slogan where were you in '62 made sense because so much cultural change happened between those years.

I can very easily tell the difference between 2002 and 2013 fashion.

Written By: Slim95 on 12/10/13 at 11:48 pm

Same as well as cars.

Written By: Emman on 12/10/13 at 11:51 pm

You're probably right. Although it begs the question, how far back in time do you think you'd have to go to notice a difference?

For me I'd start to notice a difference going back to the early '90s(boxy cars on the road, fluffy hair styles, mom jeans).

Written By: XYkid on 12/10/13 at 11:58 pm

Seriously, just look at this picture from 2002.  In the first one, you don't see guys wearing suits like the one the guy on the far left is wearing, and those leather pants and frosted tips are long gone and would be considered rediculous by most.

http://img.maniadb.com/images/album/177/177482_1_f.jpg

Written By: Emman on 12/11/13 at 12:01 am

I'm not implying there is no difference at all, if I saw a guy with frosted tips and short spiky hair I'd think he was stuck in '99-'02.

there are certain things that have dated very badly like the frosted tips and nu metal 8-P but there is less of a difference than comparing the early '60s and early '70s or the early '70s with the early '80s. Cultural time seems to have gradually slowed down after the fast changing '63-'81 period, I think there will be another period like that in the future though, maybe around 2050-ish. The period from 1890-1920 was an extremely fast changing period culturally, but the period from 1930-1955) seemed less changeful culturally(but was very changeful institutionally and politically), so I believe in peaks and troughs when it comes to cultural change.

Written By: MarkMc1990 on 12/11/13 at 12:39 am

I'm not implying there is no difference at all, if I saw a guy with frosted tips and short spiky hair I'd think he was stuck in '99-'02.

there are certain things that have dated very badly like the frosted tips and nu metal 8-P but there is less of a difference than comparing the early '60s and early '70s or the early '70s with the early '80s. Cultural time seems to have gradually slowed down after the fast changing '63-'81 period, I think there will be another period like that in the future though, maybe around 2050-ish. The period from 1890-1920 was an extremely fast changing period culturally, but the period from 1930-1955) seemed less changeful culturally(but was very changeful institutionally and politically), so I believe in peaks and troughs when it comes to cultural change.

Interesting observation...it's like we go through ~30 year cycles of rapid change alternating with slow change. So maybe around the 2020s things will start changing rapidly again.

Written By: XYkid on 12/11/13 at 12:59 am

Interesting observation...it's like we go through ~30 year cycles of rapid change alternating with slow change. So maybe around the 2020s things will start changing rapidly again.
Technology wise, things are currently changing VERY rapidly.

Written By: yearofthemonkey on 12/11/13 at 4:25 am

Depends on who you ask. Tyler Cowen says we are in a Great Stagnation, since few of the technologies of the past four decades have created a real change in standards of living or produced many jobs.

Written By: Howard on 12/11/13 at 6:56 am

25-30 years.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 12/11/13 at 2:09 pm

From a German pov I can actually tell a difference from movies/series from before 2004/05. Lots of 90s cars were still around, and of course the technology looks dated.

Written By: bchris02 on 12/12/13 at 9:39 pm

I still wear short, spiky hair.  Not frosted tips though.  I do my hair the same way I did in 2000.  I've tried other styles but it just doesn't look as good with my hair.

Written By: Howard on 12/13/13 at 5:31 am

most definitely, technology is becoming a part of us now.

Written By: bchris02 on 12/13/13 at 6:43 am

I don't think most of todays teens and twentysomethings could get by with early '00s technology.  No texting, no smartphones, possible dial-up in the home, no social media, no HD TVs, Playstation 2 rather than Xbox One.

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/13/13 at 6:55 am

I don't think most of todays teens and twentysomethings could get by with early '00s technology.  No texting, no smartphones, possible dial-up in the home, no social media, no HD TVs, Playstation 2 rather than Xbox One.
I survived my teens and twenty-somethings without the fore-mentioned technology, how, for it all was invented then.

Written By: RG1995 on 12/13/13 at 2:00 pm

It's very dated now. Technology has accelerated the change.

Written By: Howard on 12/13/13 at 6:55 pm

They'd be lost without their technology.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 12/13/13 at 9:04 pm

thats not true. There are lots of today's teens and 20 somethings that can get by without todays technology.  Besides in the early 00s, that demographic was using ps2, original xbox, gamecube, and dreamcast. They can remember days without texting, smartphones, HD TVs, social media, except AOL, and dial up before broadband and wifi. Most of the technology you're talking about wasn't mainstream until the late 00s/early 10s.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 12/14/13 at 2:32 am

thats not true. There are lots of today's teens and 20 somethings that can get by without todays technology.  Besides in the early 00s, that demographic was using ps2, original xbox, gamecube, and dreamcast. They can remember days without texting, smartphones, HD TVs, social media, except AOL, and dial up before broadband and wifi.

I agree with that. At least for the '20 somethings' whose teenage years may have already started in the late 90s (if you are 27-29). I am in my late 20s and don't want to be grouped into the kind of society that can't live without today's technology.

Written By: J. Rob on 12/15/13 at 7:31 pm

Super dated......right up there with 70s bell-bottoms and 80s hair

Nu Metal, Boy/Girl groups, 20 inch spinning rims, super baggy pants, oversized throwback jerseys, etc.....

Written By: XYkid on 12/15/13 at 8:19 pm

Nu Metal, Boy/Girl groups, 20 inch spinning rims, super baggy pants, oversized throwback jerseys, etc.....
Twankies! :D

Written By: Slim95 on 12/15/13 at 8:34 pm

I wouldn't go that far but early and mid 90's are for sure dated and retro on the same level as the 70's and 80's in my opinion.

Written By: bchris02 on 12/15/13 at 10:14 pm

I agree with that. At least for the '20 somethings' whose teenage years may have already started in the late 90s (if you are 27-29). I am in my late 20s and don't want to be grouped into the kind of society that can't live without today's technology.

Of course most of today's twentysomethings can remember a time when that technology didn't exist, but if they were forced to go back to that time and live with a phone that could only make calls and play "snake", no texting, dial-up Internet, no social media, etc, a lot of people wouldn't be able to do it.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 12/16/13 at 3:18 am

I was coming up with "late 20ers" because those were already teenagers in the late90s/early 00s - so already the typical target group of the stuff you mentioned. They have already managed some life without it. I am not talking about early 20ers, who only remember old technology but who never used it.

Written By: Howard on 12/16/13 at 6:32 am

Of course most of today's twentysomethings can remember a time when that technology didn't exist, but if they were forced to go back to that time and live with a phone that could only make calls and play "snake", no texting, dial-up Internet, no social media, etc, a lot of people wouldn't be able to do it.

They could only make calls via payphone.

Written By: 19brandon90 on 12/16/13 at 3:00 pm

I was coming up with "late 20ers" because those were already teenagers in the late90s/early 00s - so already the typical target group of the stuff you mentioned. They have already managed some life without it. I am not talking about early 20ers, who only remember old technology but who never used it.

I'm 22, I will be 23 this month and I'm not sure what you mean by "old technology". Are you talking about VHS tapes, dial up internet, and cassette tapes/cd players?

I used dial up internet until 2007 in the middle of high school and used AIM. I have never owned an iphone, I've only ever had flip phones. The first phone I got was on my 13th birthday 10 years ago and it was not a flip phone. I watched VHS tapes well into high school because I still had a bunch of old VHS tapes and an old VCR. My high school had a payphone located out in front of the school and I remember people were using it occasionally. I owned my first ipod in college in 2010. Before that, I used walkmans and listed to CDs.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 12/16/13 at 3:37 pm

I'm 22, I will be 23 this month and I'm not sure what you mean by "old technology". Are you talking about VHS tapes, dial up internet, and cassette tapes/cd players?

I meant early 00s technology like primitive cell phones, slower internet, limited social media and so on. Generally the stuff that teenagers used to communicate during that time.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 12/16/13 at 6:33 pm

I meant early 00s technology like primitive cell phones, slower internet, limited social media and so on. Generally the stuff that teenagers used to communicate during that time.
I remember all of that. Dial-up was irritating because you had to make sure no one was on the phone or you couldn't use the Internet.  I remember AOL before MySpace, Facebook, and twitter was popular and I had an account, but I wasn't using it much. I remember my first cellphone,  which was a flip phone, but I wasn't calling or texting people during that time since I was focused on school and hanging with friends and family more. I also remember when video game consoles didn't have any  motion sensors or online gaming. You would play with your friends and not get bored all the time. It was fun.

The early 00s had some good times.

Also as for the question,  it is now because the early 00s are 10-13 years old and not only that, we didn't have much technology either.

These days, everyone is using technology,  but we are still hanging with friends and family, going to school and earning an education and having fun. That's better than having no fun at all.

Written By: Howard on 12/17/13 at 5:03 pm

Dial-up was irritating because you had to make sure no one was on the phone or you couldn't use the Internet.

I hated that too, thank god for faster internet speed.

Written By: urk on 12/17/13 at 7:08 pm

Of course,  I mean just look how much hip-hop has changed:

J-KWon-Tipsy (2004)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwXeN2FsE7w

compared to

(2013)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28DsqvSBhrE

less cartoonish, and more serious.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 12/17/13 at 7:14 pm

I hated that too, thank god for faster internet speed.
yep

Written By: mxcrashxm on 12/17/13 at 7:18 pm

Of course,  I mean just look how much hip-hop has changed:

J-KWon-Tipsy (2004)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwXeN2FsE7w

compared to

(2013)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28DsqvSBhrE

less cartoonish, and more serious.
You're right about that. Hip hop has changed so much. During the early 00s, we had 50 cent, Ludacris, lil jon, Eminem, and ja rule. Now we have drake, j cole, kendrick lamar, rick ross, and 2 chainz

Written By: J. Rob on 12/21/13 at 10:03 am

I wouldn't go that far but early and mid 90's are for sure dated and retro on the same level as the 70's and 80's in my opinion.

Yeah, I guess I was looking at thing from a Hip Hop fan's perspective....the 2000s are laughably dated now....on the same level that 80s Hair Metal is to Rock fans, if not more so.

Written By: SpyroKev on 11/18/15 at 9:30 am

The Early 2000s are dated from its vibe alone. Me and my brother consider 2000 to even 2006 basically the 90s. I think the era aged pretty well. It takes you back to the time of balance that still took button control. No touch screen. Its nostalgic for a reason. 

Written By: mqg96 on 11/18/15 at 9:39 am

The Early 2000s are dated from its vibe alone. Me and my brother consider 2000 to even 2006 basically the 90s. I think the era aged pretty well. It takes you back to the time of balance that still took button control. No touch screen. Its nostalgic for a reason.

No way 2004-2006 was like the 90's.

Written By: #Infinity on 11/18/15 at 9:47 am

Frankly, 2001-2003 weren't the 90s, either.  I love how people act as though the 2000s basically didn't exist, so they basically categorize the pre-social media era with the 90s, even though new-jack swing, Sega, regular grunge, pre-Chronic 2001 gangsta rap, Beavis & Butthead, etc. were long irrelevant by that point and the War on Terror was in full swing as soon as 9/11 occurred.

Written By: SpyroKev on 11/18/15 at 9:58 am

We spoke from our own perspectives. My social life in 2004-2006 was physical contact. We knew of Myspace and YouTube, but didn't care for it. I noticed the same from people around me that still had healthy social lives. Its the same as the internet being present in the 90s, but not being as cared for. My personal life wasn't different from the earlier 2000s in 2006 aside from starting to know better.

Written By: bchris02 on 11/18/15 at 10:03 am

We spoke from our own perspectives. My social life in 2004-2006 was physical contact. We knew of Myspace and YouTube, but didn't care for it. I noticed the same from people around me that still had healthy social lives. Its the same as the internet being present in the 90s, but not being as cared for. My personal life wasn't different from the earlier 2000s in 2006 aside from starting to know better.

I can attest to this.  Internet socializing in the mid '00s was primarily in the realm of computer geeks and other social outcasts.  That started to change in 2007.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 11/18/15 at 10:18 am

I disagree. 2000-2002 (2004-2006 is out of the question) wasn't too much like the 90's. I have no problem with anyone saying 2000-2002 are the 90's, though. They're basically the last era of the true 90's even if they're not the core and 2002 is pretty much the absolute last year that anyone could fit into the 90's. The era felt like 1998 and 1999 were and those two years felt pretty different than the rest of the 90's. I'd say there was still some 1996/1997 leftovers in 2000-2002 but it started going away pretty quickly in 2003. The Y2K era is much closer to the core 90's than they were the core 00's, though. It's the last era of the true 90's as far as I'm concerned.

Written By: SpyroKev on 11/18/15 at 10:51 am

I can attest to this.  Internet socializing in the mid '00s was primarily in the realm of computer geeks and other social outcasts.  That started to change in 2007.

Yup. 2007 is exactly the year I got into the internet. We only used the internet in a sneaky way in school before then. That's what really gave it that charm which is no longer present.
I disagree. 2000-2002 (2004-2006 is out of the question) wasn't too much like the 90's (I have no problem with anyone saying 2000-2002 are the 90's, though. They're basically the last era of the true 90's even if they're not the core) either but they were pretty much like 1998 and 1999 were. I'd say there was still some 1996/1997 leftovers (which is why they fit in with the true 90's) in 2000-2002 but it started going away pretty quickly in 2003. The Y2K era is much closer to the core 90's than they were the core 00's, though. 

I can totally understand your disagreement with 2004-6, but 2003 definitely has more of a relation to the 90s in late. 2003 just has that exception.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 11/18/15 at 10:59 am

I can totally understand your disagreement with 2004-6, but 2003 definitely has more of a relation to the 90s in late. 2003 just has that exception.

You're right, 2003 still had the 1998 styles of Nu Metal, Pop Punk, Post-Grunge, Hip Hop, teen movies and that extreme summer-time angsty feeling in general but it's just that 2003 has lot of 2000's trends that I tend to not always include it with 2000-2002. It's more of a transitional "moving out of the Y2K era" thing. The year did still have a strong 90's/Y2K feel but once 2004 hit... BAM! It's like we got shot into a new era.

Written By: mqg96 on 11/18/15 at 11:16 am

Frankly, 2001-2003 weren't the 90s, either.  I love how people act as though the 2000s basically didn't exist, so they basically categorize the pre-social media era with the 90s, even though new-jack swing, Sega, regular grunge, pre-Chronic 2001 gangsta rap, Beavis & Butthead, etc. were long irrelevant by that point and the War on Terror was in full swing as soon as 9/11 occurred.

2001-2003 wasn't 90's culture, but it still had some late 90's influences leftover despite it being majority early 2000's culture by then.

Written By: mqg96 on 11/18/15 at 11:18 am

You're right, 2003 still had the 1998 styles of Nu Metal, Pop Punk, Post-Grunge, Hip Hop, teen movies and that extreme summer-time angsty feeling in general but it's just that 2003 has lot of 2000's trends that I tend to not always include it with 2000-2002. It's more of a transitional "moving out of the Y2K era" thing. The year did still have a strong 90's/Y2K feel but once 2004 hit... BAM! It's like we got shot into a new era.

2003 was like half millennial/Y2K and half core 2000's, it was like a mixture of both. Pretty dreamy vibe to me.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 11/18/15 at 11:23 am

2003 was like half millennial/Y2K and half core 2000's, it was like a mixture of both. Pretty dreamy vibe to me.

Yeah, it was pretty weird. Sometimes when I look back at 2003 and think about the more core 2000's stuff I came across it was like I was experiencing them in a 1998-type environment, if that makes any sense. It was definitely pretty different than 1998-2002. Hell, it was pretty different than 2004-2006 was, too. Like some weird hybrid that leaned slightly towards 1998-2002 than 2004-2006.

Written By: mqg96 on 11/18/15 at 11:32 am

Yeah, it was pretty weird. Sometimes when I look back at 2003 and think about the more core 2000's stuff I came across it was like I was experiencing them in a 1998-type environment, if that makes any sense. It was definitely pretty different than 1998-2002. Hell, it was pretty different than 2004-2006 was, too. Like some weird hybrid that leaned slightly towards 1998-2002 than 2004-2006.

Matter of fact, when I look back at my core childhood on a pop cultural standpoint, 2003 was one of my favorites, because as we stated it was the beginning of a lot of core 2000's pop culture along with the last gasp of late 90's/early 2000's millennial pop culture, which is why I loved it. The movies from that year were amazing, I wasn't into the mainstream music yet but I'm pretty sure my parents exposed me to some good ones then, I loved how many of the kid stations were at the time, I built tons of lego toys, got on the Planet Hot Wheels website to race with folks worldwide, played Super Smash Bros Melee on my Gamecube, and much more.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 11/18/15 at 11:44 am

Matter of fact, when I look back at my core childhood on a pop cultural standpoint, 2003 was one of my favorites, because as we stated it was the beginning of a lot of core 2000's pop culture along with the last gasp of late 90's/early 2000's millennial pop culture, which is why I loved it. The movies from that year were amazing, I wasn't into the mainstream music yet but I'm pretty sure my parents exposed me to some good ones then, I loved how many of the kid stations were at the time, I built tons of lego toys, got on the Planet Hot Wheels website to race with folks worldwide, played Super Smash Bros Melee on my Gamecube, and much more.

It's like if you took 1998 and 2004 and mixed them together, you get 2003. It was a pretty good year for me, too. 2003 is the last year when Pop Punk was still really good. I remember buying albums like Gob's Foot in Mouth Disease, Movielife's Forty Hour Train Back to Penn, Less Than Jake's Anthem and The Ataris' So Long Astoria back then and they still had that good ol' 1998 style. Even Fall Out Boy's Evening Out With Your Girlfriend that came out early in the year was really good (Take This to Your Grave, on the other hand, was pretty boring). TV was really good, too. Weird cartoons that only could of been made during the Y2K era like Invader Zim, Home Movies and Clone High were still on the air and you also had great live-action shows like Buffy and Friends. I saw Hulk in theaters in 2003 and I didn't know what to make of it. It still reeks of the flashy Y2K animations but it tried being this deep, emotional thing that it ends up being really cheesy. Bruce Almighty is one of my favorite movies from 2003, I still watch that one often. I remember playing Smash Bros, too. That game still kicks ass.

Written By: Slim95 on 11/18/15 at 11:56 am

2003 was core 00's only. No hint of the 90s in 2003. Also numerically, the middle of 2003 was the start of the mid 00's. So 2003 is technically a mid 2000s year.

Written By: mqg96 on 11/18/15 at 11:59 am

It's like if you took 1998 and 2004 and mixed them together, you get 2003. It was a pretty good year for me, too. 2003 is the last year when Pop Punk was still really good. I remember buying albums like Gob's Foot in Mouth Disease, Movielife's Forty Hour Train Back to Penn, Less Than Jake's Anthem and The Ataris' So Long Astoria back then and they still had that good ol' 1998 style. Even Fall Out Boy's Evening Out With Your Girlfriend that came out early in the year was really good (Take This to Your Grave, on the other hand, was pretty boring). TV was really good, too. Weird cartoons that only could of been made during the Y2K era like Invader Zim, Home Movies and Clone High were still on the air and you also had great live-action shows like Buffy and Friends. I saw Hulk in theaters in 2003 and I didn't know what to make of it. It still reeks of the flashy Y2K animations but it tried being this deep, emotional thing that it ends up being really cheesy. Bruce Almighty is one of my favorite movies from 2003, I still watch that one often. I remember playing Smash Bros, too. That game still kicks ass.

Some of my favorite movies from 2003 were Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King, Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl, Finding Nemo, Brother Bear, Elf, 2 Fast 2 Furious, Kangaroo Jack, Spy Kids 3: Game Over, Looney Tunes: Back in Action, and some more I know I missed. My sister loved Eloise at Christmastime but I wasn't into that movie. As for my favorite video games of 2003, it had to be some racing games, Need for Speed Underground, Mario Kart Double Dash, and Crash Nitro Kart immediately come to mind! I heard that Tony Hawk's Underground was good.

Written By: mqg96 on 11/18/15 at 12:02 pm

2003 was core 00's only. No hint of the 90s in 2003. Also numerically, the middle of 2003 was the start of the mid 00's. So 2003 is technically a mid 2000s year.

If there was no hint of the late 90's in 2003, then same would have to be said about late 2001 & 2002 as well.

It's debatable! ;D

2003 may not have been exactly like 2000-2002, but it wasn't exactly like 2004-2006 either. As many others have said multiple times, pop culturally, 2003 was a transitional year! The full core 2000's years were 2004-2007!

Written By: JordanK1982 on 11/18/15 at 12:12 pm

Some of my favorite movies from 2003 were Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King, Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl, Finding Nemo, Brother Bear, Elf, 2 Fast 2 Furious, Kangaroo Jack, Spy Kids 3: Game Over, Looney Tunes: Back in Action, and some more I know I missed. My sister loved Eloise at Christmastime but I wasn't into that movie. As for my favorite video games of 2003, it had to be some racing games, Need for Speed Underground, Mario Kart Double Dash, and Crash Nitro Kart immediately come to mind! I heard that Tony Hawk's Underground was good.

Those are some great movies! I went with some family to see Finding Nemo, Back in Action and Spy Kids 3-D. I loved Back in Action and Finding Nemo but Spy Kids 3-D just made me go "huh!?" I think I fell asleep during that movie because I didn't sleep the night before or something. Both Tony Hawk's and Need for Speed's Underground's kick ass! I loved both those games! Night of the Old Republic is another good 2003 game.

If there was no hint of the late 90's in 2003, then same would have to be said about late 2001 & 2002 as well.

It's debatable! ;D

2003 may not have been exactly like 2000-2002, but it wasn't exactly like 2004-2006 either. As many others have said multiple times, pop culturally, 2003 was a transitional year! The full core 2000's years were 2004-2007!

It seems a lot of people are more torn on 2003 than anything else. Most people I know accept 2000, 2001 and 2002 as the "final part of the 90s" (as some like to put it) but 2003 is in the middle for them. Personally, I think that there is no need to differentiated late 2001 and 2002 from 2000 and early 2001 because the pop culture was still pretty much the same angsty summertime feel. 

Written By: Slim95 on 11/18/15 at 12:15 pm

It's debatable! ;D

Well I would agree there wasn't in 2001 and 2002 either yet they had a little different vibe from 2003.

Written By: 80sfan on 11/18/15 at 1:54 pm

It's debatable! ;D

2003 was pretty 00s. You could even debate there was a little bit of the 90s in 2004. The 00s was pretty much in full gear by 2003.

Written By: yelimsexa on 11/18/15 at 2:40 pm

Five years later now:

I'd say technology takes the cake in terms of early '00s datedness.

Gamecube = Dead, but going to be retro cool soon
Any Cathode Ray Tube (CRT) monitor = Dead outside of use for playing old video game systems and perhaps a VCR
Gameboy Advance = Dead
Regular XBOX = Obsolete
Playstation 2 = Obsolete, but still has a bit of a cult following
Friendster = Dead
Myspace = Nearly dead
Compact flip cellphones = Nearly dead
Regular DVDs = Very dated
HD DVD = dead (a mid '00s thing)
Homeland security terror alert system = No longer in use, but would still be a practical tool

Commercials 2000 and earlier are retro, with 2001-04 commercials very dated, and 2005-08 dated

No question the early '00s are dated in 2015 now. Cartoons couldn't be closer from the truth where 98% of all TV cartoons were 2D whereas nowadays about 90% of cartoons are 3D. Pre-Web 2.0 and pre-smartphones are the other obvious differences, along with shorter attention spans.

Written By: Zelek3 on 03/17/17 at 4:04 pm

Lordie, even 2010(when this thread was made) seems dated now.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 03/17/17 at 4:15 pm

Almost seven years after this thread was made, and everything related to the early-mid 2000s seem irrelevant now. We're more likely to live in a very different world compared to it in 2005.

Written By: Zelek3 on 03/17/17 at 4:29 pm

To me,

2000-2005 = dated
2006 = hodgepodge of dated and modern
2007-2008 = modernish, but it's showing its age slowly
2009 = modern (televisions switched to HD around this time so no surprise here)

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/17/17 at 4:33 pm

Lordie, even 2010(when this thread was made) seems dated now.
I certainly do not hear much her now?

Written By: Baltimoreian on 03/17/17 at 4:35 pm

To me,

2000-2005 = dated

They started doing that by late 2008, but the HD craze was already in full swing by 2009. Aside from that, it's a very accurate chart.

Written By: 2001 on 03/17/17 at 6:45 pm

To me,

2000-2005 = dated

Sounds about right.

I certainly do not hear much her now?

She released a new single a few weeks ago. It's err.. an acquired taste.  ;D

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 03/17/17 at 9:59 pm

To me,

2000-2005 = dated

Yeah, your chart is pretty accurate.

Written By: Looney Toon on 03/18/17 at 3:06 pm

To me,

2000-2005 = dated

Sounds about right. When this thread was made the early 2000s were dated. In 2017 the early 2000s can't even be compared to today's culture anymore.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 03/18/17 at 3:38 pm

Sounds about right. When this thread was made the early 2000s were dated. In 2017 the early 2000s can't even be compared to today's culture anymore.

What do you think is the last year that can't be compared with today's culture anymore?

Written By: Looney Toon on 03/18/17 at 3:53 pm

What do you think is the last year that can't be compared with today's culture anymore?

To me 2007. 2007 has a very strong 2000's vibe. 2017 is core 2010s to me which is easily distinguishable from the  core of 2000s culture between late '03-'07. Soon as we edge out peak 2010's culture (sometime in late 2017/2018, I assume. However, cultural changes are only noticeable in hindsight and not at the exact moments of change) I'd see the entire 2000s as not being comparable to the culture.

Written By: Slim95 on 03/19/17 at 2:53 pm

To me 2007. 2007 has a very strong 2000's vibe. 2017 is core 2010s to me which is easily distinguishable from the  core of 2000s culture between late '03-'07. Soon as we edge out peak 2010's culture (sometime in late 2017/2018, I assume. However, cultural changes are only noticeable in hindsight and not at the exact moments of change) I'd see the entire 2000s as not being comparable to the culture.

I agree 2007 is the last year that that is separate and different from today's culture. Most of the stuff that is popular today started in 2008.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 03/19/17 at 4:18 pm

I think these pictures of a Wal-Mart taken in 2002 look extremely dated.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4150/5030461584_edac536ef1_b.jpg

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4084/5030435036_c584ed6a0f_b.jpg

And here's some pictures of a Wal-Mart video game section in 2003. PS2 for life! 8)

https://c1.staticflickr.com/8/7166/6532236119_2ec0d91b5e_z.jpg

http://farm8.static.flickr.com/7150/6532235993_39c2c134f3.jpg

Love the Game Boy Advance SP poster, and the one with the gigantic picture of a CD on it in the second picture. I think that pretty well sums up how dated the early '00s are.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 03/19/17 at 4:24 pm

And here's some pictures of a Wal-Mart video game section in 2003. PS2 for life! 8)

Love the Game Boy Advance SP poster, and the one with the gigantic picture of a CD on it in the second picture. I think that pretty well sums up how dated the early '00s are.

Wow, those are some cool photos. Did you take them?. Yeah, the early 2000s are definetly dated.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 03/19/17 at 5:18 pm

Wow, those are some cool photos. Did you take them?. Yeah, the early 2000s are definetly dated.

No, they were just some I came across online. I was recently looking at some of our family pictures from a vacation we took in the summer of 2003, though, and those are also looking very dated.

Probably the most dated thing about pictures from back then is to see large groups of people standing around without any of them holding a cell phone. In the early '00s, cell phones were still only used to make phone calls or send the occasional text. Let's just say things have changed a lot since then. ;D

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 03/19/17 at 5:30 pm

No, they were just some I came across online. I was recently looking at some of our family pictures from a vacation we took in the summer of 2003, though, and those are also looking very dated.

Probably the most dated thing about pictures from back then is to see large groups of people standing around without any of them holding a cell phone. In the early '00s, cell phones were still only used to make phone calls or send the occasional text. Let's just say things have changed a lot since then. ;D

Yeah, I agree.  :D

Written By: Slim95 on 03/19/17 at 5:31 pm

Yup I guess it's safe to say the early 2000s are officially dated. It's very hard to argue that. Having said that, there are admittedly photos from the early 2000s that don't look like they were take from the 1980s. It's really a mixed bag. Mostly professional ones but this photo of a newsroom that was taken from 2002 looks pretty modern.

http://veechxveech.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/VEECH_ORFNEWS2002-01w.jpg

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 03/19/17 at 5:35 pm

Yup I guess it's safe to say the early 2000s are officially dated. It's very hard to argue that. Having said that, there are admittedly photos from the early 2000s that don't look like they were take from the 1980s. It's really a mixed bag. Mostly professional ones but this photo of a newsroom that was taken from 2002 looks pretty modern.

What newsroom is this picture of?

Written By: Slim95 on 03/19/17 at 5:36 pm

What newsroom is this picture of?

zib1 news

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 03/19/17 at 5:41 pm

zib1 news

I see that it's a German news station...right?. Well, I guess professional photos have always been better and clearer than regular photos. So yeah that photo from 2002 is pristine clear.

Written By: Slim95 on 03/19/17 at 5:43 pm

I see that it's a German news station...right?. Well, I guess professional photos have always been better and clearer than regular photos. So yeah that photo from 2002 is pristine clear.

Yeah I think so. I just googled photos from 2002 and found this. The majority of photos look much more dated though.  :P

Written By: Baltimoreian on 03/19/17 at 5:45 pm

Honestly, the picture quality just makes it more dated. Aside from that, everything seems like it has today's technology.

Written By: Looney Toon on 03/19/17 at 5:47 pm

Honestly, the picture quality just makes it more dated. Aside from that, everything seems like it has today's technology.

In terms of tech in that screenshot you'd see stuff like that since the 1990s from what I remember.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 03/19/17 at 5:50 pm

In terms of tech in that screenshot you'd see stuff like that since the 1990s from what I remember.

I guess with the flat screens, you're right. But they were more rare, since not a lot of them were seen during the first half of the 2000s.

Written By: Looney Toon on 03/19/17 at 5:53 pm

I guess with the flat screens, you're right. But they were more rare, since not a lot of them were seen during the first half of the 2000s.

Yeah, flat monitors like the one in that picture were probably only used by big companies. And even there were a lot of companies that still didn't use flat screens. As for image quality I never base if something is modern or old buy the look of it (not saying anyone here is doing so). Here is a pick of people from 1993.
http://www.lpi.usra.edu/lpiintern/alumni/images/intern_group/images/interns1993.jpg

The pics Machine Head posted from 2002 looks older than this.  ;D You only really tell how old a picture is by what you see in it. Something I'm sure you all are very aware of. Image quality always fools me into believing something to be old or new.

Written By: Stillinthe90s on 03/19/17 at 5:59 pm

I like the smiley face wearing a hard hat because he's "Working hard to save you more!"

That smiley little guy has had many adventures, like this one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jpm0ynKBJ8

Or this one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmCHTUhEuAM

or this one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FODPzxzdaEs

Written By: Baltimoreian on 03/19/17 at 6:01 pm

Yeah, flat monitors like the one in that picture were probably only used by big companies. And even there were a lot of companies that still didn't use flat screens. As for image quality I never base if something is modern or old buy the look of it (not saying anyone here is doing so). Here is a pick of people from 1993.
http://www.lpi.usra.edu/lpiintern/alumni/images/intern_group/images/interns1993.jpg

The pics Machine Head posted from 2002 looks older than this.  ;D You don't only really tell how old a picture is by what you see in it. Something I'm sure you all are very aware of. Image quality always fools me into believing something to be old or new.

Well, you're kinda right. My family used to take pictures on film, but it's been a while since I've ever seen myself on actual film. Most of the pictures they have of me are from my infant and toddler years (1999-mid 2004). It gets more rare with film after that, since my mom got a digital camera between late 2004-early 2005. So after that, she took most of her pictures on an SD card between 2005-2007. For other people though, it depends. Some used digital cameras before the 2000s even started, or some just aren't big fans of film photography.  :P

I like the smiley face wearing a hard hat because he's "Working hard to save you more!"

That smiley little guy has had many adventures, like this one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jpm0ynKBJ8

Or this one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmCHTUhEuAM

or this one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FODPzxzdaEs

The second one was a parody from Family Guy. Aside from that, they seem legit.

Written By: Stillinthe90s on 03/19/17 at 6:09 pm

Well, you're kinda right. My family used to take pictures on film, but it's been a while since I've ever seen myself on actual film. Most of the pictures they have of me are from my infant and toddler years (1999-mid 2004). It gets more rare with film after that, since my mom got a digital camera between late 2004-early 2005. So after that, she took most of her pictures on an SD card between 2005-2007. For other people though, it depends. Some used digital cameras before the 2000s even started, or some just aren't big fans of film photography.  :P

The second one was a parody from Family Guy. Aside from that, they seem legit.

Damn, I remember this one, Mr. Rollback Man, a James Bond parody, almost from 2000 (and likely airing in 2000). He's changing all those numbers, lower prices are his game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70MdKcIfwow

And this commercial from 2001 where's he's Zorro

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-7xl4Brf_I&t=100s

Written By: 2001 on 03/19/17 at 6:13 pm

I was looking through old YTV videos earlier, and this one of The Zone apparently showing their control room from 2001 looks VERY retro for obvious reasons.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNV1yVcm3uI

(I remember all the straights had a crush on Sugar  ;D)

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 03/19/17 at 6:14 pm

I was looking through old YTV videos earlier, and this one of The Zone apparently showing their control room from 2001 looks VERY retro for obvious reasons.

YTV?. Are you Canadian?

Written By: 2001 on 03/19/17 at 6:16 pm

YTV?. Are you Canadian?

Yeah, eh! What aboot you? :)

Written By: Baltimoreian on 03/19/17 at 6:21 pm

Damn, I remember this one, Mr. Rollback Man, a James Bond parody, almost from 2000 (and likely airing in 2000). He's changing all those numbers, lower prices are his game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70MdKcIfwow

The ad came from 1999, according to the title. But I don't know why it has to deal with me. I don't even remember the Walmart smiley ads. I mostly just remember the Walmart ads from the mid-late 2000s/early 2010s (since I haven't watched that much TV after 2013).

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 03/19/17 at 6:23 pm

Yeah, eh! What aboot you? :)

No sorry, eh  ;). I'm American but there was some imported Canadian cartoons during my youth and that's why I know of YTV.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 03/19/17 at 6:25 pm

No sorry, eh  ;). I'm American but there was some imported Canadian cartoons during my youth and that's why I know of YTV.

Same here. Although most of the Canadian cartoons that I watched came from Teletoon.

Written By: Looney Toon on 03/19/17 at 6:31 pm

Slowpoke,  come to America. We have cookies and Donald Trump. What's not to love?!?!

Written By: Baltimoreian on 03/19/17 at 6:36 pm

Slowpoke,  come to America. We have cookies and Donald Trump. What's not to love?!?!

We also have the cheesiest burgers in the world.  8)

Written By: Looney Toon on 03/19/17 at 6:39 pm

Oh meh GAWD! That looks ultra retro.  :D ;D :o 8)

Written By: Zelek3 on 03/19/17 at 6:39 pm

Everything 2006 and before is dated to me.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 03/19/17 at 6:42 pm

Same here. Although most of the Canadian cartoons that I watched came from Teletoon.

Yeah, I also know of Teletoon. Teletoon was/is basically Canada's Cartoon Network. However, Canada has had Cartoon Network since (our) Independence Day 2012 (July 4th, 2012).

Written By: Looney Toon on 03/19/17 at 6:42 pm

We also have the cheesiest burgers in the world.  8)

http://blog.munchado.com//wp-content/uploads/2013/12/lots-of-cheese-burger.jpg

I can almost feel the potential stomach ache .  8)

Written By: SpyroKev on 03/19/17 at 6:56 pm

I love this. I hate being close to leaving my 20s but I'm happy to have been an older kid during then.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/19/17 at 8:05 pm

Wishing for those prices for today?

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/19/17 at 8:06 pm

http://blog.munchado.com//wp-content/uploads/2013/12/lots-of-cheese-burger.jpg

I can almost feel the potential stomach ache .  8)
Keeping well away!

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 04/01/17 at 1:54 am

I was watching the original Hulk movie (released in 2003) for about half-an-hour last night and as much as I hate to say it, the movie does look fairly outdated now. The transitions between scenes (which unfortunately aren't really shown in the video below) and the "gamma accident" scene (at 0:45) all look quite cheesy, in my opinion. The PS2 game based on this movie was one of my favourite games when I was a kid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZUVMim8ebM

Check for new replies or respond here...