inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: When did I grow up?

Written By: rgd51 on 07/01/10 at 3:17 am

I was born in November 1991 and I have seen people my age on here classifying themselves as 90s kids. I am kinda confused as to when I should think of my growing up years. I have somewhat broken them down like this:

Late 90s to early 00s (1997-2004) is little kid years through 6th grade

Mid 00s to late 00s (2005-2010) is adolescence and high school

Early 10s (2010-2014) will be college years

so which decade did i really grow up in? would it be the 00s?

Subject: Re: When did I grow up?

Written By: Frank on 07/01/10 at 10:24 am

I was born in November 1991 and I have seen people my age on here classifying themselves as 90s kids. I am kinda confused as to when I should think of my growing up years. I have somewhat broken them down like this:

Late 90s to early 00s (1997-2004) is little kid years through 6th grade

Mid 00s to late 00s (2005-2010) is adolescence and high school

Early 10s (2010-2014) will be college years

so which decade did i really grow up in? would it be the 00s?

From what you have written, most of your growing up occurred in the 00s. (Ages 9 to 19)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/01/10 at 10:45 am

I still haven't grown up yet.

Cat

Written By: Starde on 07/01/10 at 12:07 pm

From what you have written, most of your growing up occurred in the 00s. (Ages 9 to 19)

Depends on someone's definition of growing up. ;) I've noticed that people tend to have different meanings.

Written By: lola669 on 07/01/10 at 12:55 pm

Cat

I haven't either.  ;D

Written By: Howard on 07/01/10 at 6:46 pm

I'm 36 and I feel like half my age (18)

Written By: joeman on 07/01/10 at 8:40 pm

I'm 36 and I feel like half my age (18)

It could be much worse, you could be like Alan from the Hangover.

Written By: rgd51 on 07/01/10 at 11:53 pm

Well it does make sense that the 00s would be when i did most of my growing up so when my kids ask my about what life was like in my day, shnould i tell em about the 00s?

Written By: Howard on 07/02/10 at 6:29 am

It could be much worse, you could be like Alan from the Hangover.

Who's He? ???

Written By: joeman on 07/02/10 at 8:37 am

Who's He? ???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWXIelRxyRs

Written By: sonikuu on 07/02/10 at 1:52 pm

Well it does make sense that the 00s would be when i did most of my growing up so when my kids ask my about what life was like in my day, shnould i tell em about the 00s?

Um...you tell them about what life was like back in your day, whatever your day may be.  I'm not much older than you (1989) really and I don't see the concern over this.  My little brother is younger than year (1992) and he identifies with both the 90s and 00s quite easily as BOTH are part of his youth.  My dad graduated high school in 1983, but he doesn't feel the need to constrain himself to the 80s as his "growing up years" if you will.  Same goes for my mom and almost everyone else I know.

Why do you feel the need to constrain yourself to a single decade as being when you grew up?  Here's something interesting for you: people don't neatly fall into the single decade box due to the fact that childhood, teenage, and college/young adulthood make up more than ten years.  Which decade did you really grow up in?  Multiple ones, how's that? 

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/02/10 at 11:10 pm

I remember things and experienced life way into early childhood.  I can remember how the world felt in 1975, but I had no other perspective.  My information was very limited as a young child.

However, the first presidential election I really took sides in was Reagan vs. Mondale in 1984. 

Written By: rgd51 on 07/03/10 at 3:47 am

This makes sense and I did some research into generations Y and Z and most sources would consider me Y but a few say Z began as early as 1990 or 1991

Written By: Starde on 07/03/10 at 4:09 am

Um...you tell them about what life was like back in your day, whatever your day may be.  I'm not much older than you (1989) really and I don't see the concern over this.  My little brother is younger than year (1992) and he identifies with both the 90s and 00s quite easily as BOTH are part of his youth.  My dad graduated high school in 1983, but he doesn't feel the need to constrain himself to the 80s as his "growing up years" if you will.  Same goes for my mom and almost everyone else I know.

Why do you feel the need to constrain yourself to a single decade as being when you grew up?  Here's something interesting for you: people don't neatly fall into the single decade box due to the fact that childhood, teenage, and college/young adulthood make up more than ten years.  Which decade did you really grow up in?  Multiple ones, how's that? 

Gotta agree with your post. ;) I never understood why people prefer to restrict themselves to one decade. :-\\ When I think of growing up, I think about my kid and teenage years which spanned about 2 decades. I just prefer to think of it like that.

Written By: Howard on 07/03/10 at 5:18 am

I remember things and experienced life way into early childhood.  I can remember how the world felt in 1975, but I had no other perspective.  My information was very limited as a young child.

However, the first presidential election I really took sides in was Reagan vs. Mondale in 1984. 

I don't remember how the world felt in 1975,I was only a year old sitting in my baby crib.

Written By: joeman on 07/03/10 at 9:16 am

This makes sense and I did some research into generations Y and Z and most sources would consider me Y but a few say Z began as early as 1990 or 1991

Interesting note is that one of my old college textbooks defined Generation Y as 1977-1991, I guess they are basing the year off of 1995 when Internet got huge. 

Written By: sonikuu on 07/03/10 at 11:21 am

I personally think the early 90s are still part of Generation Y - just the later part of it.  The internet and the digital age may have started in the mid-90s, but it didn't really take off until the 00s.  Late 90s at the earliest, but even then, relics of the "Analog Age" were still very prominent, like VHS tapes and stuff.  I would argue that people who remember the Analog Age aren't part of Generation Z.  I would define Generation Y as the generation that, in their youth, saw the transition into the Digital Age, but can still remember what it was like beforehand.  I would define Generation Z as the generation that, in their youth, experiences the "full extent" of the Digital Age and can't remember a time beforehand.

2001 I think may be a good dividing point for the generations as it is the year 9/11 happened in, altering the course of history, and it's not too long after that year that the last relics of the analog age finally fade away with DVDs finally replacing VHS tapes fully (rather than existing side by side as they did throughout the late 90s and early 00s), ipods become extremely popular, etc.  With that in mind, I'd say Generation Y ends sometime in the mid 90s, 1994-1995 area.  Those born after that wouldn't remember such non-digital things as they'd only be five years old in 2001 at best.

Written By: bchris02 on 07/03/10 at 12:02 pm

You were a 90s kid and an 00s teen.  You came of age in the late '00s so I would say the '00s are your decade.  Compare it to the boomers who were the children of the '50s but most of them will claim the '60s as their decade. 

Written By: Howard on 07/03/10 at 2:58 pm

I'm more of The Generation X,born in the early 1970's but I didn't quite grow up till the early 1980's.

Written By: rgd51 on 07/03/10 at 10:09 pm

I personally think the early 90s are still part of Generation Y - just the later part of it.  The internet and the digital age may have started in the mid-90s, but it didn't really take off until the 00s.  Late 90s at the earliest, but even then, relics of the "Analog Age" were still very prominent, like VHS tapes and stuff.  I would argue that people who remember the Analog Age aren't part of Generation Z.  I would define Generation Y as the generation that, in their youth, saw the transition into the Digital Age, but can still remember what it was like beforehand.  I would define Generation Z as the generation that, in their youth, experiences the "full extent" of the Digital Age and can't remember a time beforehand.

2001 I think may be a good dividing point for the generations as it is the year 9/11 happened in, altering the course of history, and it's not too long after that year that the last relics of the analog age finally fade away with DVDs finally replacing VHS tapes fully (rather than existing side by side as they did throughout the late 90s and early 00s), ipods become extremely popular, etc.  With that in mind, I'd say Generation Y ends sometime in the mid 90s, 1994-1995 area.  Those born after that wouldn't remember such non-digital things as they'd only be five years old in 2001 at best.

This makes great sense. according to this i would be classified as generation y as my little kid years had VHS and game boy and nintendo 64, not xbox 360 and HDDVD and stuff which didnt come out until my teens.

Written By: Foo Bar on 07/03/10 at 11:57 pm

An X-er here.

My personality was mostly formed by my early-to-mid-20s.  I knew I was old the day I heard Devo as the background music for a Target commrcial.

Now, what's this "Growing Up" thing I keep hearing about?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/04/10 at 12:12 am

An X-er here.

My personality was mostly formed by my early-to-mid-20s.  I knew I was old the day I heard Devo as the background music for a Target commrcial.

There are no grown-ups, just kids with back problems who owe money.
::)

Sorry but all that DEVO stuff got tired real quick.  I haven't even listened to the new album yet.  I'll get around to it.  I'm sure it's extremely well-produced and that's about it.  "Smooth Noodle Maps" should have been left on the shelf!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/09/smokin.gif

Written By: Davester on 07/04/10 at 12:33 am

There are no grown-ups, just kids with back problems who owe money.

;D

Written By: Howard on 07/04/10 at 6:43 am

An X-er here.

I knew I was getting old when Atari stopped becoming everyone's favorite console.

Written By: Davester on 07/04/10 at 10:18 am

I knew I was getting old when Atari stopped becoming everyone's favorite console.

That actually makes sense...somehow... ???

Written By: Howard on 07/04/10 at 6:29 pm

That actually makes sense...somehow... ???

Then all of a sudden,Atari phased out and Gameboy,XBox,Wii and all new consoles arrived in the late 1980-early 90's.

Written By: wildcard on 07/04/10 at 7:49 pm

I'm 27 going on 10 

Written By: joeman on 07/04/10 at 9:15 pm

Then all of a sudden,Atari phased out and Gameboy,XBox,Wii and all new consoles arrived in the late 1980-early 90's.

Well Super Nintendo came in 1991, then Xbox came in at the end of the 90s.  Wii came out a few years ago.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/05/10 at 1:30 am

fudgeatari

Written By: wildcard on 07/05/10 at 1:40 am

don't forget the Intellivision

Written By: rgd51 on 07/05/10 at 3:02 am

Well Super Nintendo came in 1991, then Xbox came in at the end of the 90s.  Wii came out a few years ago.

xbox came out at the end of 2001 when i was in 4th grade i remember it will and wii was 2005 or 2006 i think. N64 was 1996 and i think xbox 360 was 2005

Written By: Howard on 07/05/10 at 6:18 am

I sometimes wish I was back in the Atari age again.

Written By: Howard on 07/05/10 at 6:20 am

fudgeatari

Don't fudge Atari,Atari was everyone's favorite console back then (Ok,it was back then,this is now).

Written By: joeman on 07/05/10 at 9:38 am

xbox came out at the end of 2001 when i was in 4th grade i remember it will and wii was 2005 or 2006 i think. N64 was 1996 and i think xbox 360 was 2005

Interesting, I guess thinking of Nintendo 64, since it was competing against Playstation 2 at the late 90s.

It's kind of funny when video game consoles switched to hardcopy to cds.  There was two Mortal Kombat games that came out in 1996, one was Trilogy and the other was Mortal Kombat 4.  The latter was on CD and was almost half the price, while the other was still in the SNES console and cost around 70 dollars.  I haven't bought any games in a long time, but I am guessing that video games are up there again in the 60+ dollar range.

Written By: Howard on 07/05/10 at 12:28 pm

Interesting, I guess thinking of Nintendo 64, since it was competing against Playstation 2 at the late 90s.

It's kind of funny when video game consoles switched to hardcopy to cds.  There was two Mortal Kombat games that came out in 1996, one was Trilogy and the other was Mortal Kombat 4.  The latter was on CD and was almost half the price, while the other was still in the SNES console and cost around 70 dollars.  I haven't bought any games in a long time, but I am guessing that video games are up there again in the 60+ dollar range.

I remember when video games were only $20.00-30.00 and video games were so cheap back then when Toys R Us used to sell them.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/05/10 at 3:13 pm

I remember when Pong came out.  :D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: joeman on 07/05/10 at 4:29 pm

I remember when video games were only $20.00-30.00 and video games were so cheap back then when Toys R Us used to sell them.

Cool.  My brother had an Atari and a Collectovision(sp?), and he had a lot of games on it, so I'd imagine it was cheaper.

Today, NES games are hard to find and expensive.  Super Mario Bros was being sold for 50 dollars last time from a local video game shop

I remember when Pong came out.   

I honestly never seen a Pong machine before.

Written By: Lindee on 07/05/10 at 4:31 pm

I was born in 1961. I grew up in the mid to later 60s and the fabulous 70s!

Written By: joeman on 07/05/10 at 4:41 pm

I was born in 1961. I grew up in the mid to later 60s and the fabulous 70s!

I'm really curious, but how did you feel about the 80s?  Did you still consider it your younger years(especially around 25) or were you too old for it?

Written By: JamieMcBain on 07/05/10 at 5:20 pm

Gen XYer here, myself. That would be someone who was born from 1976, and kind of onwards.

I was born in 1976, grew up during the 80's, was a pre teen during the late 80's, and went to high school, during the early 90's.

Written By: Lindee on 07/05/10 at 8:42 pm

I'm really curious, but how did you feel about the 80s?  Did you still consider it your younger years(especially around 25) or were you too old for it?

I LOVE the 80s. I turned 18 in 1979 so yes it was my younger years in a sense. I love 80s music.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/05/10 at 10:14 pm

I LOVE the 80s. I turned 18 in 1979 so yes it was my younger years in a sense. I love 80s music.

Rock snobs will always tell you the most creative era for pop music was between 1967 and 1973.  That is a wonderful era for the development of rock 'n' roll and many icons thrived and died in it (Jimi, Janis, Jim).  In the eighties the synthesizer was affordable  to average bands whose skills and budget allowed them only a kind of minimalism.  I stopped reading Rolling Stone when they didn't even bother to print a review of Depeche Mode's Black Celebration.  I related to that album like my parents' generation related to Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band.  They just thumbed their noses up at the band like they didn't even matter.  I'll tell you one thing.  If one of RS's beloved '80s bands such as The Replacements goes back on tour, they don't sell 30,000 tickets in Athens, Greece, (or Athens, GA)!
8)

Written By: rgd51 on 07/06/10 at 2:19 am

Did the 70s and 80s have great culture? my mom is 53 and talks about how great the 70s were, yet she hated the 90s for some reason

Written By: Howard on 07/06/10 at 5:20 am

I remember when Pong came out.  :D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Wow,Damn that's 1978.  :o

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/07/10 at 12:28 am

Did the 70s and 80s have great culture? my mom is 53 and talks about how great the 70s were, yet she hated the 90s for some reason

The seventies were distinctly different from the eighties.  Consciously so.  Ronald Reagan.  They only chose the guy because John Wayne died and Chuck Heston wanted too much dough.  The big difference being, Heston would have shot Hinckley first!

The seventies were much more mellow even with Watergate and Jim Jones. 

In the seventies people really believed scams such as EST were pathways to personal growth.  In the eighties the same gestalt was used for crass corporate human resources drones. 

What can you say, the seventies rang with many echoes of the the brief period in the late sixties when people were beginning to think they could change the world by mass peaceful movement...Satan appears as Miltie Friedman asking, "Say, Mac, what's in it for you?"
"Yeah, what's in it for me?

In the mid-20th century, there was a greater civic allegiance to community and church -- things more important than the self.  However, no blacks.  No Jews.  No fruitcakes.  We all gotta be on the same page here.

The country got complicated with social progress.  People lost their sense of identity.  Before the eighties, conservatism was draggy (George Will) or toffy (William F. Buckley).  Polysyllabic words didn't make it with the savages and the dipsy-doodles out in whitebread land.  That's when we got Rush Limbaugh and Bill O'Reilly.  In the seventies, you had to be in the John Birch Society, the KKK, or the Chicago School of Economics to hear such nasty gibberish. 

8)

Written By: Howard on 07/07/10 at 6:38 am

The seventies were much more mellow even with Watergate and Jim Jones.

And the economy was ok.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/07/10 at 9:34 pm

And the economy was ok.

A lot of the bills from the Vietnam war started to pile up.  The economy suffered under Carter, and then worse in Reagan's first term.  However, even in 1977 the labor unions had more members.  There was much more job security.  People weren't so freaked out.  I mean, some people were freaked out by the hippies.  I mean people weren't freaked out about the way our country seemed to be dying.  We were a little depressed.  Jimmy Carter is still lambasted for using the word "malaise." 

You know something?  The best-selling book series in 1977 was "The Thornbirds" not "Left Behind."  Malaise or Armageddon, which do you prefor?

It was a different time.
:(

Written By: Frank on 07/07/10 at 11:52 pm

A lot of the bills from the Vietnam war started to pile up.  The economy suffered under Carter, and then worse in Reagan's first term.  However, even in 1977 the labor unions had more members.  There was much more job security.  People weren't so freaked out.  I mean, some people were freaked out by the hippies.  I mean people weren't freaked out about the way our country seemed to be dying.  We were a little depressed.  Jimmy Carter is still lambasted for using the word "malaise." 

You know something?  The best-selling book series in 1977 was "The Thornbirds" not "Left Behind."  Malaise or Armageddon, which do you prefor?

It was a different time.
:(

And the economy was ok.

The 70s also had an energy crisis and a gas shortage or 2 at some point as well.  There were signs that things weren't as good as they used to be already.  But yes. job security like we don't know it now, or may never experience again.  :-[

A pack of baseball cards costs 10 cents back then, so were chocolate bars, popsicles and a small bag of chips.
Our dollar was stronger than the US dollar at some point in the 70s, and was worth some 30 cents less just 10 year later .

Written By: Howard on 07/08/10 at 6:40 am

And back in the 70's,the music was good,the TV Shows were great and life was simple.

Written By: Lindee on 07/08/10 at 8:47 am

And back in the 70's,the music was good,the TV Shows were great and life was simple.

Amen

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/08/10 at 12:37 pm

They say that those who remember the '60s weren't there.  :D ;D ;D ;D

About the only thing I remember about the '60s was the moonwalk (1969) and some t.v shows/music.

'70s:
-The First Earth Day (1970)
-Energy Crisis with Odd/Even days.
-Television (just about EVERY show  :D ;D ;D ;D )
-The Munich Olympics (1972)  :\'( :\'(
-Jimmy Carter walking to the White House (1977)
-So much more.

'80s:
-I got to vote for the first time.
-Got my first LEGAL drink.  ;)
-Got married (which was a BIG mistake)

To me, the best thing about the '80s was the music. Personally, the decade was hell to say the least. I finally became a butterfly in the '90s and the 2000's I really blossomed & thrived.

Cat 

Written By: Howard on 07/08/10 at 7:01 pm

I remember back in the 80's,music was just fun rap like Grandmaster Flash,Whodini,Run DMC,Secret Weapon,Afrika Bambatta and Sugarhill Gang.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/08/10 at 7:37 pm

The 70s also had an energy crisis and a gas shortage or 2 at some point as well.  There were signs that things weren't as good as they used to be already.  But yes. job security like we don't know it now, or may never experience again.  :-[

A pack of baseball cards costs 10 cents back then, so were chocolate bars, popsicles and a small bag of chips.
Our dollar was stronger than the US dollar at some point in the 70s, and was worth some 30 cents less just 10 year later .

Chocolate bars were $0.20 USD when I started buying them with my allowance in 1976 (?).  It was $0.30 for a 12 oz can of Coca-Cola, then $0.35.
:)

Written By: rgd51 on 07/09/10 at 3:01 am

if only they could cost that much now.........

Written By: Howard on 07/09/10 at 6:35 am

Chocolate bars were $0.20 USD when I started buying them with my allowance in 1976 (?).  It was $0.30 for a 12 oz can of Coca-Cola, then $0.35.
:)

Today Coca Cola cans are double the price.

Written By: Howard on 07/09/10 at 6:37 am

I remember when Aids wasn't an issue (before 1984) people were having sex and dying from syphilis and ghonorrea.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/09/10 at 11:00 pm

I remember when Aids wasn't an issue (before 1984) people were having sex and dying from syphilis and ghonorrea.

No, Howard, people don't die from gonorrhea.  It's just very communicable and nasty and hurts like hell.  I managed to stay clear of it.  Friends of mine were not so lucky.  Knock on wood (heh heh!)  You can die from syphilis in its third or tertiary stage  The disease can remain dormant in your body for up to 20 years.  When it returns, it's too late.  The pathogens have already infected your internal organs.  It often attacks the brain leading to progressive insanity for the sufferer.  Fortunately, doctors can easily diagnose syphilis in its primary stage.  They give the infected patient a course of penicillin and that kills the bacteria.   Before mass availability of penicillin in the 1940s, syphilis was often the same kind of death sentence AIDS is today.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syphilis
Not while you're eating.

You make a good point about AIDS.  We went through a grace period from the introduction of penicillin until the revelation of AIDS when no STD could kill you.  AIDS killed off that "free love" attitude of the sixties and seventies. 

I compare it to those who can remember life before the atomic bomb.  Before the atomic bomb countries could tear each other to pieces, but war couldn't render the entire planet uninhabitable for human life.  My grandparents could remember that time.  I cannot.  Atomic weapons have been a reality my entire life.

For children of the eighties and forward, the same holds true for AIDS.  Sex can kill you.
:o

Written By: Howard on 07/10/10 at 6:38 am

No, Howard, people don't die from gonorrhea.  It's just very communicable and nasty and hurts like hell.  I managed to stay clear of it.  Friends of mine were not so lucky.  Knock on wood (heh heh!)  You can die from syphilis in its third or tertiary stage  The disease can remain dormant in your body for up to 20 years.  When it returns, it's too late.  The pathogens have already infected your internal organs.  It often attacks the brain leading to progressive insanity for the sufferer.  Fortunately, doctors can easily diagnose syphilis in its primary stage.  They give the infected patient a course of penicillin and that kills the bacteria.   Before mass availability of penicillin in the 1940s, syphilis was often the same kind of death sentence AIDS is today.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syphilis
Not while you're eating.

You make a good point about AIDS.  We went through a grace period from the introduction of penicillin until the revelation of AIDS when no STD could kill you.  AIDS killed off that "free love" attitude of the sixties and seventies. 

I compare it to those who can remember life before the atomic bomb.  Before the atomic bomb countries could tear each other to pieces, but war couldn't render the entire planet uninhabitable for human life.  My grandparents could remember that time.  I cannot.  Atomic weapons have been a reality my entire life.

For children of the eighties and forward, the same holds true for AIDS.  Sex can kill you.

I'm just saying before Aids came about,in porn films people were having sex without condoms and having fun,just fooling around like in the film Debbie Does Dallas made in 1978,you could ask a girl in that time period what AIDS is and they wouldn't even know cause AIDS wasn't an issue back then.

Written By: Howard on 07/10/10 at 6:41 am

How about the songs of the 80's that sung about sex and having sex like George Michael,Salt And Pepa and One Way?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/10/10 at 10:48 pm

How about the songs of the 80's that sung about sex and having sex like George Michael,Salt And Pepa and One Way?

Or Soft Cell: "Sex Dwarf" (1981)

It was about picking about teenage boys in discos for the sake of committing unnatural acts!

Written By: Howard on 07/11/10 at 6:39 am

It was about picking about teenage boys in discos for the sake of committing unnatural acts!

I might want to look it up on youtube later.

Written By: Howard on 07/11/10 at 6:40 am

Who remembers sex commercials from the 1980's?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/12/10 at 2:20 am

Can you throw me a bone here?  More specificity, sil vous plait!
:D

Written By: Howard on 07/12/10 at 6:21 am

Can you throw me a bone here?  More specificity, sil vous plait!

What? What are you referring to?  ???

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/12/10 at 12:27 pm

What? What are you referring to?  ???

He's referring to YOUR post.

He wants more info on what YOU are referring to. (And I'm curious myself.)

Cat

Written By: Howard on 07/12/10 at 6:32 pm

He's referring to YOUR post.

He wants more info on what YOU are referring to. (And I'm curious myself.)

Cat

the commercials that dealt with safe sex and condoms.

Written By: Foo Bar on 07/12/10 at 9:33 pm

How about the songs of the 80's that sung about sex and having sex like George Michael, Salt And Pepa and One Way?

Actually, you've both managed to highlight the difference between the early 80s and the late 80s.

In the pre-AIDS (early 80s), sex was something you did for fun, preferably under the influence of cocaine.  Worst that could happen is you need a shot of penicillin.

In the post-AIDS era (late 80s), sex was something that would kill you if you so much as thought about it, and you should probably wear a condom even if you're alone.

Exactly how that got turned into the modern phenomenon whereby missionary-style sex is considered more intimate than anal, and oral's just a way to say 'hello', I'm not sure, except to say that I grew up in the worst part of the sexual counterrevolution.  On the other hand, I'll never have to worry about STDs, so I've got that going for me.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/12/10 at 10:06 pm

Actually, you've both managed to highlight the difference between the early 80s and the late 80s.

In the pre-AIDS (early 80s), sex was something you did for fun, preferably under the influence of cocaine.  Worst that could happen is you need a shot of penicillin.

In the post-AIDS era (late 80s), sex was something that would kill you if you so much as thought about it, and you should probably wear a condom even if you're alone.

Exactly how that got turned into the modern phenomenon whereby missionary-style sex is considered more intimate than anal, and oral's just a way to say 'hello', I'm not sure, except to say that I grew up in the worst part of the sexual counterrevolution.  On the other hand, I'll never have to worry about STDs, so I've got that going for me.

Coil had a track "Disco Hospital."  I wondered if they were referring to their gay friends who partied in discos in 1970s and were then dying of AIDS in the mid-80s.  Anyway band Coil was close friends with Marc Almond and Dave Ball.  Certainly in 1982 the gay communities were talking about it.  Some of them might have used older terms, such as GRID or the Gay Plague.  Guys who partied in the urban gay nightlife certainly knew about it before we did in the country. 

I have a bone to pick with the move "Philadelphia" in which Andrew Becket testifies to not knowing what AIDS was in 1984, and claiming they knew it as the "gay plague."

I distinctly remember hearing the term AIDS and the disease AIDS talked about in 1982.  In fact, it was late in '82 when Ralph B. cracked his first AIDS joke at my expense!  I also remember my brother-in-law thinking the Ayd's Diet Plan commercials were uproariously funny!  Look, if a kid from the boonies of NH knows what AIDS is at the end of '82, a gay lawyer in Philadelphia would know about AIDS then too!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBkVuT5pw1g

Written By: Foo Bar on 07/12/10 at 10:58 pm

Certainly in 1982 the gay communities were talking about it.  Some of them might have used older terms, such as GRID or the Gay Plague.  Guys who partied in the urban gay nightlife certainly knew about it before we did in the country. 

Exactly.  GRID: Gay-Related Immune Disease.  (Or whatever the ID stood for.)

It wasn't until the late '80s (which should have been my generation's turn to get its freak on) that we heterosexuals figured out that we were just as much at risk.  I experienced the time after we figured out that heterosexuals were at risk, but before we realized that condoms could stop it :)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/13/10 at 2:15 am

Exactly.  GRID: Gay-Related Immune Disease.  (Or whatever the ID stood for.)

It wasn't until the late '80s (which should have been my generation's turn to get its freak on) that we heterosexuals figured out that we were just as much at risk.  I experienced the time after we figured out that heterosexuals were at risk, but before we realized that condoms could stop it :)

Gay-Related Immunodeficiency.

Written By: rgd51 on 07/13/10 at 2:53 am

what i did read was that AIDS was a huge issue back in 1991 when i was born

Written By: Howard on 07/13/10 at 6:44 am

How about the era between 1979-1983 when AIDS wasn't even an issue? ???

Written By: Foo Bar on 07/14/10 at 7:49 pm

I dunno, playing video games was a lot more fun than dealing with puberty.  Hell, it's still a lot more fun than most of what passes for adulthood.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/14/10 at 11:21 pm

It was most certainly an issue then.  Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome gained currency as the official term by late 1981, IIRC.  I remember first hearing the term in 1982.  That's when they really started pushing the fact that straight people could get it too that AIDS started hitting the mainstream headlines.  Then when straight people really did start getting infected, including a 13-year-old via blood transfusion, AIDS got press like it was the Black Death all over again!

Prior to 1984, most of the AIDS-related deaths were gay men who had contracted it in the 1970s.  Gay men presented wtih comprised immune systems routinely from '79 through early '83.  Yeah, maybe the New York Times ran a blurb about Gay Men's Health Crisis or something like that, but it wasn't until '84, '85, '86 when it started hitting the straight population that the country got hysterical about it. 

Written By: Foo Bar on 07/14/10 at 11:36 pm

Karma for your serious post about the generation gap.  We straightboring folks thought we were immune because it was a gay thing.  FAIL.  With the benefit of 20/20 hindsight, I'm kinda glad I had no social skills.  Sure, I missed out on most of the good things, but I missed out on all the bad things too.

But apropos to your post: We Want Your Gay Dwarf (Soft Cell, Sex Dwarf vs. Electric Six, Gay Bar, vs. Adam Freeland, We Want Your Soul), MP3 comes direct from DJTripp's website.  It's his own mash-up.)

Probably the ultimate triple-tracker, and the best explanation of why I still refuse to sign up for Facebook.  Email for private communication between friends.  Message boards for pseudonymous broadcast communications.  And never shall the twain meet, save for the machines on which No Such Agency would ever invoke the spell of "outer join".  I've nothing to hide, nothing to fear, but my co-workers and casual acquaintances - to say nothing of the world's marketroids - simply don't have a need to know.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/15/10 at 12:02 am

Karma for your serious post about the generation gap.  We straightboring folks thought we were immune because it was a gay thing.  FAIL.  With the benefit of 20/20 hindsight, I'm kinda glad I had no social skills.  Sure, I missed out on most of the good things, but I missed out on all the bad things too.

But apropos to your post: We Want Your Gay Dwarf (Soft Cell, Sex Dwarf vs. Electric Six, Gay Bar, vs. Adam Freeland, We Want Your Soul), MP3 comes direct from DJTripp's website.  It's his own mash-up.)

Probably the ultimate triple-tracker, and the best explanation of why I still refuse to sign up for Facebook.  Email for private communication between friends.  Message boards for pseudonymous broadcast communications.  And never shall the twain meet, save for the machines on which No Such Agency would ever invoke the spell of "outer join".  I've nothing to hide, nothing to fear, but my co-workers and casual acquaintances - to say nothing of the world's marketroids - simply don't have a need to know.

Okay, okay, okay, don't get all Dale Gribble (aka. Rusty Shackleford) on me!

The fact that Mr. Marc Almond did not get AIDS is a testament to the dreadful unpredictability of who it would strike.  They understood it was far more likely in Mr. Almond's community (I don't mean "community" as just a hole) that an individual would contract HIV, but who within the community would it destroy?  And when?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eo3TUtRnZi4

Note: Marc Almond eats a grape and walks out.  The trickling of honey is also referenced in the lyrics to "Ostia: The Death of Pasolini" in which the boys incorporate the Biblical story of Sampson ("And out of the strong came forth sweetness," etc.) in a song about an Italian film director murdered by a "rentboy" when the "rentboy" ran over Pasolini with the director's own car! 

Alls I'm saying is Tipper didn't know about this horror show!  I don't think they sold much Coil at Wal-Mart anyway!  I had a Coil record in one hand and a GG Allin record the other, thinking Tipper was worried about Prince and Madonna!
;D

Written By: Howard on 07/15/10 at 6:33 am

I dunno, playing video games was a lot more fun than dealing with puberty.  Hell, it's still a lot more fun than most of what passes for adulthood.

Atari was my favorite back in those days,all those blips and bleeps and white squares on the screen.

Written By: whistledog on 07/20/10 at 6:09 pm

When did I grow up?  When I realized I was the only Toys 'R' Us kid with a beard :D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/20/10 at 11:41 pm

When I started seeing college kids as kids.

Written By: Howard on 07/21/10 at 6:41 am

When did I grow up?  When I realized I was the only Toys 'R' Us kid with a beard :D

Don't you wish you were a Toys R Us kid?

Written By: Howard on 07/21/10 at 6:42 am

When I started seeing Ipods,cellphones and blackberries and I remember when Sony Walkmans were the latest craze and everyone beeboping and rollerskating to their favorite 80's song.

Written By: 2015 on 08/06/10 at 1:05 am

90s and 00s. i consider "growing up" to be more or less 3 to 25, so your growing up years began in 1994 and will end around 2016.

Written By: Howard on 08/06/10 at 6:31 am

My "growing up" years I think began after High School.

Written By: rgd51 on 08/07/10 at 2:18 am

So I feel that this simple question i asked has turned into this massive 6 page discussion on stuff like AIDS is rather funny.

Written By: MrCleveland on 08/07/10 at 8:15 am

Cat

Me neither...I just grow old....

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/07/10 at 11:31 am

I grew old very young.

Written By: Howard on 08/07/10 at 2:25 pm

Me neither...I just grow old....

I'm almost there.

Check for new replies or respond here...