inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: "Kidult" culture

Written By: yelimsexa on 07/26/10 at 7:54 am

Seeing this word today made me laugh about how dumbed down the young Generation Y adults are as they became adults during the 2000s- they are really "kidults". Just do an image search and you'll quickly see why. They still wear Spongebob clothing. Emos have that "kiddie" look. They crave Harry Potter/Twilight even though they are adults. There is even a website about them, kidult.com. And, worse yet, their ACCENT feels 10 years younger than it should!

Another theory is that how more young adults live with their parents at a later age; thus they still often get the "kid" treatment at a later age. When looking back at the 2000s and early 2010s (and possibly beyond), we should view such "kidult" types as a reason why culture dumbed down during this time.

Subject: Re: "Kidult" culture

Written By: danootaandme on 07/26/10 at 8:26 am

Yes, exactly, but they were raised that way, and I blame my fellow boomers for that.

Written By: JTCool on 07/26/10 at 12:06 pm

Being 17, I have seen people who are in the early 20's who do act like kids, but while I agree this theory is true with a large part of my generation and also Generation X, it isn't true about every person from that generation. People said Generation X were all slackers but while a good amount of people from that generation were lazier than the Boomers, there were also a good amount that weren't lazy and did really work hard. So for every Kidult in our generation there's also people that don't fit that mold.

Written By: Howard on 07/26/10 at 2:34 pm

I'm 36 and I still live with my parents.  :(

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/26/10 at 10:27 pm

This is why I favor lowering the drinking age to 18.  You can get married at 18, you can get drafted when you're 18, you can go to prison when you're 18, but you can't buy beer!  That's what set forward the lowering of the voting age to 18 in 1971.  The only argument I can't deny is the drunk driving statistics, but by that logic, why not raise the drinking age to 24 and save EVEN MORE lives!
:D

I live in a college town.  A lot of these kids don't get treated like adults until they're debtors or defendants. 

Written By: bchris02 on 07/26/10 at 10:49 pm

Seeing this word today made me laugh about how dumbed down the young Generation Y adults are as they became adults during the 2000s- they are really "kidults". Just do an image search and you'll quickly see why. They still wear Spongebob clothing. Emos have that "kiddie" look. They crave Harry Potter/Twilight even though they are adults. There is even a website about them, kidult.com. And, worse yet, their ACCENT feels 10 years younger than it should!

Another theory is that how more young adults live with their parents at a later age; thus they still often get the "kid" treatment at a later age. When looking back at the 2000s and early 2010s (and possibly beyond), we should view such "kidult" types as a reason why culture dumbed down during this time.

I have thought about this too.  Most people in the first half of their 20s don't seem much different than teenagers.  I have three theories as to why this is the case.

1. Helecopter parents, kids living with parents until 22-23, parents spoiling their children
2. The culture today is very focused on youth and looking young
3. College is almost a requirement to get a real job these days...and college technically postpones real adulthood another 4-5 years

It used to be when you turned 18 and graduated high school, you moved out of your parents' home, got married, got a real job, and settled down.  Today, people don't get jobs until they are in their mid-20s and finished with college, and marriage is starting to be postponed until the latter 20s.  Believe me, there is a HUGE difference in maturity between a 23 year old male with a wife, kids, and a mortgage vs a 23 year old recent college grad who's primary focus in life seems to be partying and getting laid. 

Written By: rgd51 on 07/27/10 at 3:26 am

hahahahaha you nailed it. im 18 and hangout with friends who are 20 or 21 or so and mooch off of their parents and slack off not working

Written By: tv on 07/27/10 at 7:18 am

hahahahaha you nailed it. im 18 and hangout with friends who are 20 or 21 or so and mooch off of their parents and slack off not working
Well to stick up for your friends a little bit  it is hard to find a job now with the bad economy.

Written By: tv on 07/27/10 at 7:28 am

I I just think its different I;m 30and I went to High School from 1994-1998 we grew up on alternative, dance, and bedtime R&B. What did the Early  Generation Yers grow up on? Glam Rap and Britney Spears I mean thats a huge difference plus the most of the core  00's was foreshadowed on bling and reality shows. Its just a different culture for the Yers than it was for the people of my generation.

I don;t mean too make the early Gen Yers look stupid by my couple sentences above, I mean I like some 00's music(very mostly early to mid 00's stuff), its just 2 different generations in 2 different decades. Thats all!

The reason why I highlighted early was that the early generation Yers are not responsible for pop culture from late 2007+, they are responsible for culture from 1999-mid 2007 I think anyway.

Written By: JTCool on 07/27/10 at 11:51 am

I'm wondering what everyone considers Generation Y. Being 17 I could easily say I'm Generation Y, but I think there's an overwhelming difference between teens right now and a lot of people in there early and mid 20's. I've noticed alot of people my age don't want to be like some of their older siblings because they have seen them stay at home and live off their parents, and they see the strain it puts on their parents.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 07/27/10 at 1:31 pm

On the flip side, you have kids who act more adult, and sophicated, then kids their age, listen to classical music, read and write at a college level, and have a really high IQ.

Written By: Howard on 07/27/10 at 2:40 pm

I'm 36 and I try to hang out people that are close or around my age.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/27/10 at 10:00 pm

I still see women Gen-X women trying to dress like today's teens.  They don't wear it well.  Mine might be the first generation to want to remain in a permanent state of adolescence.  Hey, we had it good in the eighties!
::)

Written By: joeman on 07/27/10 at 10:54 pm

On the flip side, you have kids who act more adult, and sophicated, then kids their age, listen to classical music, read and write at a college level, and have a really high IQ.

Also losing their virginity at age 11.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/27/10 at 10:59 pm

Who?

:o

Written By: Howard on 07/28/10 at 7:55 am

Why so young? ???

Written By: yelimsexa on 07/28/10 at 10:09 am

How about "infult" culture- some celebrities are subsituting one of their meals per day for BABY FOOD!

"The director of nutrition for WebMD, Kathleen Zelman, wrote that celebrities are substituting one or more of their meals every day with baby food."

http://www.idsnews.com/news/story.aspx?id=76255

Written By: danootaandme on 07/28/10 at 10:10 am

That is called rape

Written By: Howard on 07/28/10 at 6:34 pm

I still see women Gen-X women trying to dress like today's teens.  They don't wear it well.  Mine might be the first generation to want to remain in a permanent state of adolescence.  Hey, we had it good in the eighties!

They must be tomboys. ::)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/28/10 at 7:12 pm

How about "infult" culture- some celebrities are subsituting one of their meals per day for BABY FOOD!

"The director of nutrition for WebMD, Kathleen Zelman, wrote that celebrities are substituting one or more of their meals every day with baby food."

http://www.idsnews.com/news/story.aspx?id=76255

Who?  Who is doing these things?  I'm starting to sound like an owl.  That lady didn't mention any specific celebrities on the baby food diet. 

Baby food's gross.  I'd rather keep the lovehandles than have to eat nothing but baby food!
8-P

Written By: joeman on 07/28/10 at 7:53 pm

My best friends sister is around 11-12 and she tells me that a few kids in her class are pregnant.  It seems that kids grow up a lot faster than thought.

Written By: bchris02 on 07/29/10 at 12:36 am

My best friends sister is around 11-12 and she tells me that a few kids in her class are pregnant.  It seems that kids grow up a lot faster than thought.

Sexually yes...but culturally it seems like they stay young longer.  Adolescence these days runs from about age 11 to 25. 

Written By: Howard on 07/29/10 at 6:30 am

Baby food's gross.  I'd rather keep the lovehandles than have to eat nothing but baby food!

Aw Cmon Max,It's good for ya,It's nutritious. :D

Written By: joeman on 07/29/10 at 9:31 am

Sexually yes...but culturally it seems like they stay young longer.  Adolescence these days runs from about age 11 to 25.  

Hasn't it always been like that though?  I don't think a 25 year old is considered an old person nowadays compared to a 25 year old in the 50s and 60s.  

I'm 25 currently, I have slowed down on my partying and recreational uses.  I'd admit though, when I was 21-23ish, I still felt like I was 17, but I was still at college having fun.

I dunno, I know people my age that has been married not once, but twice!  They have children, and despite that, are living with their parents and acting like kids still.  

Written By: danootaandme on 07/30/10 at 10:14 am

Still called rape

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/30/10 at 8:40 pm

Still called rape

Yes.  If a 12-year-old is pregnant, somebody needs to go to prison.

Unless it's an Alfie Patten situation. 

Written By: Foo Bar on 07/31/10 at 12:51 am

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h262/Gunner1750/chris_hansen.gif

All of you bastards, all of you!

Written By: JaxRhapsody on 08/02/10 at 7:28 pm

I look at it like this, theres pros & cons and even those are subjective. I will say we may have a better interaction with our kids and remember we were kids once. Then again it's all on how a person develops. I have noticed the big difference with us 80's babies. How most of us can't really have a life because of the job and educationo situation. Sometimes I question my action when someone 18-24 has got their sheesh together, with a good job or own their own bussiness, house and family. I don't have any of that sheesh nearly every attempt has failled. And especially to the OP I wouldn't go  making assumptions. I'd rather stay u problems, they think you need to be grown up just because you are grown up. And thats why alot of people 35+  are boring as sheesh with no kinda imagination. I'm a Toys R Us kid, I don't wanna grow up.

Written By: Emman on 08/03/10 at 8:22 pm

Hasn't it always been like that though?  I don't think a 25 year old is considered an old person nowadays compared to a 25 year old in the 50s and 60s. 

I'm 25 currently, I have slowed down on my partying and recreational uses.  I'd admit though, when I was 21-23ish, I still felt like I was 17, but I was still at college having fun.

I dunno, I know people my age that has been married not once, but twice!  They have children, and despite that, are living with their parents and acting like kids still. 

I had a dream about my 25th birthday(I'm turning 25 really soon by the way), and I genuinely felt old in that dream for the first time, like I haven't done enough with my life. It was very depressing.
But I don't look any where near 25, one guy asked whether I was over 16 today when I was getting my license renewed(that's around a decade younger looking). 25 will probably be perceived even younger in the future because people are living longer and education takes longer to complete, it just doesn't seem old compared to 65 or 75 today. Our population is getting older, we will have to change our society to accomodate them, also people will work longer into old age.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/03/10 at 8:41 pm

I had a dream about my 25th birthday(I'm turning 25 really soon by the way), and I genuinely felt old in that dream for the first time, like I haven't done enough with my life. It was very depressing.
But I don't look any where near 25, one guy asked whether I was over 16 today when I was getting my license renewed(that's around a decade younger looking). 25 will probably be perceived even younger in the future because people are living longer and education thats longer to complete, it just doesn't seem old compared to 65 or 75 today. Our population is getting older, we will have to change our society to accomodate them, also people will work longer into old age.

Same here.  I didn't have to shave more than twice a week until I was 28 and got carded for liquor until I was 32.  I got carded the other day when I was with some younger friends!
8)

Written By: Howard on 08/04/10 at 6:19 am

I'm 36 and I've been clean shaven for 5 years now and people on the street thinking I'm younger than I look.

Written By: 2015 on 08/06/10 at 1:04 am

I actually think it's good to still like cartoons, etc, when you're older (it's also good if you don't, but if you like them, you should never feel forced to give them up because of your age!)

Written By: Howard on 08/06/10 at 6:33 am

I actually think it's good to still like cartoons, etc, when you're older (it's also good if you don't, but if you like them, you should never feel forced to give them up because of your age!)

I rarely watch cartoons now,I remember when they had cartoons on Saturday Morning for all the kids to watch,too bad they don't do that anymore.

Written By: aja675 on 08/15/16 at 11:50 pm

I'm so reminded of the friend drama I've posted in here.

Written By: 1999 Baby, 2000s Kid on 08/16/16 at 12:48 am

I have a feeling I'll be a kidult when I'm older, I'm 17 currently.

Written By: 2001 on 08/16/16 at 12:49 am

I have a feeling I'll be a kidult when I'm older, I'm 17 currently.

Kidult is the new normal. I don't see what's wrong with it tbh.

Written By: 1999 Baby, 2000s Kid on 08/16/16 at 12:52 am

I hope so, I live in an area where a lot of people think traditionally.

Written By: Howard on 08/16/16 at 7:50 am

There is a bit of kidult in all of us.

Written By: yelimsexa on 08/16/16 at 9:18 am

Kellogg's is using this word for one of their current ad campaigns. That said, it isn't unlike their Frosted Flakes commercials back in the early '90s where Tony proclaims that the cereal is one last G-RRR-EEE-AA-TT taste of youth.

Written By: 2001 on 08/16/16 at 10:11 am

Traditionally? Like moving out when you're 18 traditionally? I can see that happening if you live in a small town and you have to move out for university.

In Toronto, the average age of moving out is currently 32. You can thank the housing prices  ::)

Written By: 1999 Baby, 2000s Kid on 08/16/16 at 2:05 pm

Traditionally? Like moving out when you're 18 traditionally? I can see that happening if you live in a small town and you have to move out for university.

In Toronto, the average age of moving out is currently 32. You can thank the housing prices  ::)

Yeah, most people move out from age 18 - 20. I'm planning on doing online college possibly though, or going to a college near me, so I'll probably be in my parents' house until I'm 23 or 24.

Written By: Howard on 08/16/16 at 2:07 pm

Kellogg's is using this word for one of their current ad campaigns. That said, it isn't unlike their Frosted Flakes commercials back in the early '90s where Tony proclaims that the cereal is one last G-RRR-EEE-AA-TT taste of youth.

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/7vUJ/frosted-mini-wheats-kidults-we-are-young-song-by-supergrass

Written By: mxcrashxm on 08/16/16 at 2:34 pm

Do you live in the South?

There is a bit of kidult in all of us.
I agree with both of you! Oh, and if you  guys want to know, I read articles about this kidult thing and the writers were talking about this new stage called Extended Adolescence since this generation doesn't want to grow up (that's definitely not true ::)) and that this Kidult also happens around the world. It's actually common for people who are adults to stay with their families until they are ready to live on their own. It seems like the US is behind on that. We all know that not everyone is going to have own things by the time they graduated from high school. It takes time and management and that's something that older generations had done.

Written By: 1999 Baby, 2000s Kid on 08/16/16 at 4:56 pm

Yes, I live in a small town in Texas, although, I'm close to a metropolitan area.

Written By: apollonia1986 on 08/16/16 at 6:05 pm

People say I look 5-10 years younger than my age and I will ride that wave for as long as I can physically get away with it. I mean I think I'm mature mentally and everything. I don't see myself making the same mistakes people my age bracket are. Just let me look younger. LOL.

Written By: aja675 on 08/16/16 at 8:55 pm

I believe that kidulthood is a cycle: the immaturity of other people causes others to act immature as well.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 08/17/16 at 12:16 am

Yes, I live in a small town in Texas, although, I'm close to a metropolitan area.
How much do you like it down there? Oh, and is everything big as they say? ;D :D

Written By: 1999 Baby, 2000s Kid on 08/17/16 at 12:43 am

How much do you like it down there? Oh, and is everything big as they say? ;D :D

I like it, people aren't racist down here like what you hear, haha, however, there are a lot of homophobes here including some family members, but I also have a homosexual family member. I'm not homophobic though, and I think my parents are becoming more accepting of it than what they were. Also, everything is as big as they say  ;D

Written By: mxcrashxm on 08/17/16 at 12:49 am

I like it, people aren't racist down here like what you hear, haha, however, there are a lot of homophobes here including some family members, but I also have a homosexual family member. I'm not homophobic though, and I think my parents are becoming more accepting of it than what they were. Also, everything is as big as they say  ;D
So, if I came to Texas one day, would I get a huge shake?

As for the racism, are there any misconceptions you would like to clear out? Some people believe that the south as a whole is ignorant  about some things and are less accepting of other non-mainstream groups.

Written By: Howard on 08/17/16 at 8:03 am

I agree with both of you! Oh, and if you  guys want to know, I read articles about this kidult thing and the writers were talking about this new stage called Extended Adolescence since this generation doesn't want to grow up (that's definitely not true ::)) and that this Kidult also happens around the world. It's actually common for people who are adults to stay with their families until they are ready to live on their own. It seems like the US is behind on that. We all know that not everyone is going to have own things by the time they graduated from high school. It takes time and management and that's something that older generations had done.

I'm in my 40's and I still live with my parents.

Written By: Howard on 08/17/16 at 8:04 am

People say I look 5-10 years younger than my age and I will ride that wave for as long as I can physically get away with it. I mean I think I'm mature mentally and everything. I don't see myself making the same mistakes people my age bracket are. Just let me look younger. LOL.

Some people think I'm in my 20's when I actually tell them I'm 42.

Written By: aja675 on 09/16/16 at 1:39 am

Minus the classical music, and minus perhaps the IQ part because I have never been tested professionally, this was me as a preteen.

Check for new replies or respond here...