inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Best Rapper in the 00s?

Written By: joeman on 08/09/10 at 8:00 pm

Which rapper do you think made the most impact in the 2000s?  My vote goes to either Kanye West or Ludacris.  Both were strong rapper that peaked in the mid 00s and had hit songs.  Ludacris was in the movie called Crash.

Subject: Re: Best Rapper in the 00s?

Written By: Emman on 08/09/10 at 9:00 pm

Based on sales and popularity, for the early 00's, Eminem, for the mid 00's, 50 cent, for the late 00's, Kanye West.

Written By: Mike from Jersey on 08/09/10 at 9:43 pm

It's gotta be Eminem. Some may not remember just how huge he was 2000-2002 (and continued to be pretty popular up through around 2004; only recently has he become pretty popular again). When people think back on defining artists per decade, like The Beatles for the 60s, it will be Eminem for the 00s. Also don't forget his cultural impact, as the fact that he was white and not Vanilla Ice was huge CNN and angry parent fodder. Due to his skin color, he really brought hip hop to audiences and demographics that even the likes of Biggie and Tupac couldn't (I guess due to their race they were too easily considered to be gansta or ghetto).

Second is a hard choice; definately either Jay-Z or Kanye West. I say Jay-Z because he's been for the entire decade and is always consistent, and I say Kanye because in the late 00s he became extremely popular, almost as much as Em did in the early part of the decade.

50 Cent probably gets the next position in terms of popularity, though after Get Rich or Die Tryin' I never thought he was very good at all.

Written By: Brian06 on 08/09/10 at 11:15 pm

It's gotta be Eminem. Some may not remember just how huge he was 2000-2002 (and continued to be pretty popular up through around 2004; only recently has he become pretty popular again). When people think back on defining artists per decade, like The Beatles for the 60s, it will be Eminem for the 00s. Also don't forget his cultural impact, as the fact that he was white and not Vanilla Ice was huge CNN and angry parent fodder. Due to his skin color, he really brought hip hop to audiences and demographics that even the likes of Biggie and Tupac couldn't (I guess due to their race they were too easily considered to be gansta or ghetto).

Second is a hard choice; definately either Jay-Z or Kanye West. I say Jay-Z because he's been for the entire decade and is always consistent, and I say Kanye because in the late 00s he became extremely popular, almost as much as Em did in the early part of the decade.

50 Cent probably gets the next position in terms of popularity, though after Get Rich or Die Tryin' I never thought he was very good at all.

Yeah Eminem probably was the one who really made Rap THE genre of choice in the '00s, I don't think any other genre really dominated a timeperiod like hip-hop dominated the '00s. Only at the very end of the decade (2009) did it really show some signs of waning. Also I think Luda, Nelly, Ja Rule along with Em back circa 2000-2001 set the foundation, what they did is they brought hip-hop to a mainstream mass appeal pop audience, people who listened to NSYNC they started listening to Eminem and Nelly.

Written By: Howard on 08/10/10 at 5:18 am

I think 50 Cent was.

Written By: whistledog on 08/10/10 at 8:33 am

Kardinal Offishall. 

He hasn't made as big of an impact outside of Canada, but he has seen the UK and US Top 40 a few times.  He often appears as a guest on songs I like such as 'Beautiful' by Akon and 'Carnival Girl' by Texas

Written By: Starde on 08/10/10 at 11:17 am

Yeah Eminem probably was the one who really made Rap THE genre of choice in the '00s, I don't think any other genre really dominated a timeperiod like hip-hop dominated the '00s. Only at the very end of the decade (2009) did it really show some signs of waning. Also I think Luda, Nelly, Ja Rule along with Em back circa 2000-2001 set the foundation, what they did is they brought hip-hop to a mainstream mass appeal pop audience, people who listened to NSYNC they started listening to Eminem and Nelly.

Yeah, I agree. If I had to pick the top 2, it'd be Eminem and Jay-Z. I remember how huge Eminem was during the early/mid 00's and it looks like he's regained his popularity so far in the 2010s.

Written By: bchris02 on 08/10/10 at 12:49 pm

Eminem, by far.  Not only was he a sensation between 2000 and about 2004, it is my belief that Eminem's popularity ushered in hip-hop's massive dominance over popular music in the 2000s.  Eminem was able to bring hip-hop to audiences that the rappers of the '90s couldn't.  People will laugh when I say this, but I believe Eminem is to the 2000s what Elvis was to the '50s and the Beatles were to the '60s.  Was able to take a previously niche genre of music and sell it to the masses.

Written By: joeman on 08/10/10 at 4:31 pm

No love to Lil Wayne?

Written By: 2015 on 08/10/10 at 4:57 pm

eminem.

Written By: Brian06 on 08/10/10 at 4:58 pm

No love to Lil Wayne?

Eh I mean he's got some good songs but he's got to be pretty high on the most overrated list. He has quite a few amusing lines but his voice annoys the heck out of me. I think he was the rapper of the late '00s well along with Kanye West, man everybody loved Lil Wayne that's all you would hear about for a while.

Written By: 80sfan on 08/10/10 at 6:48 pm

He really peaked with his 2002 movie 8 Mile didn't he?  ???

Written By: joeman on 08/10/10 at 8:24 pm

I think so.

I think Dr Dre's 1999 Chronic Album had some good songs with him and Eminem.  Eminem also had a lot of controversy during those days because not only was he in a verbal war with Christina Aguilera and Everlast, but he took a lot of sheesh from the PTC due to his lyrics.  On top of that, Eminem haters had problems with him using the word ****** a lot in his songs, but Eminem is best friends with Elton John and Elton helped him get over his addictions.  I got to listen to his new album and I must say it is still tight as ever.  Eminem now looks weird, all skinny and without the bleach blonde hair.

As far as the topic goes, what about the Black Eye Peas?  They got big in the late 90s and peaked around 2004 with their song "lets get this party started" ?

Written By: Brian06 on 08/10/10 at 8:26 pm

I think so.

I think Dr Dre's 1999 Chronic Album had some good songs with him and Eminem.  Eminem also had a lot of controversy during those days because not only was he in a verbal war with Christina Aguilera and Everlast, but he took a lot of sheesh from the PTC due to his lyrics.  On top of that, Eminem haters had problems with him using the word ****** a lot in his songs, but Eminem is best friends with Elton John and Elton helped him get over his addictions.  I got to listen to his new album and I must say it is still tight as ever.  Eminem now looks weird, all skinny and without the bleach blonde hair.

As far as the topic goes, what about the Black Eye Peas?  They got big in the late 90s and peaked around 2004 with their song "lets get this party started" ?

Actually I think they definitely peaked in 2009, all the success they had last year was insane way bigger than they ever had, though by then they weren't really rap anymore and more electro.  :-\\

Written By: Howard on 08/11/10 at 6:36 am

and his music too.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 08/11/10 at 7:37 am

Jay Z

Written By: bchris02 on 08/11/10 at 8:11 pm

Actually I think they definitely peaked in 2009, all the success they had last year was insane way bigger than they ever had, though by then they weren't really rap anymore and more electro.  :-\\

Agreed.  Songs like "Where is the Love?" and "Lets Get It Started" were popular but didn't have the mass cultural influence songs like "Boom Boom Pow" and "I've Got A Feeling" did.  I would say they are pioneers along with Lady Gaga and Ke$ha in ushering in the current electronic music fanaticism. 

Written By: SpyroKev on 12/11/18 at 4:41 pm

A lot of rappers made impacts in different ways. I like to look at it interestingly. Ja Rule, DMX, OutKast, Jay Z, Lil Wayne, Young Jeezy, even T.I was entertaining.

Eminem, 50 Cent and Kanye West may dominated but the other contestants I listed were just as in their own ways behind the scenes.

Check for new replies or respond here...