inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: When did the Internet Revolution stop and the Mobile Revolution begin?

Written By: yelimsexa on 10/08/10 at 11:40 am

I believe the latest technological paradigm shift happened sometime in the past several years. 2005 gave us Youtube. 2006 gave us Facebook and Twitter. But 2007 was when the iPhone came out, and since then it seems like the Internet in terms of the main force of change has taken a backseat to mobile technology.

Subject: Re: When did the Internet Revolution stop and the Mobile Revolution begin?

Written By: 90steen on 10/12/10 at 5:03 pm

I think throughout 2009 it became increasingly more and more popular to the point most young people were using the mobile internet. Before that, it was used, but not quite as often.

Subject: Re: When did the Internet Revolution stop and the Mobile Revolution begin?

Written By: Howard on 10/12/10 at 6:33 pm

I think early 2000's when Facebook and Twitter came along.

Written By: whistledog on 10/12/10 at 8:03 pm

Internet on your phone is cool to have if you want to quickly look something up, but using it as a substitute for regular internet, which alot of people do, is dumb.

The iPhone is too hyped up.  Android phones, though not all, are better than the iPhone. 

Written By: Howard on 10/13/10 at 6:36 am

and coming soon...  GoogleTV.

Written By: yelimsexa on 10/13/10 at 8:11 am

That was 2006, not the EARLY 2000s, and Facebook didn't become big until 2007 and Twitter in late 2008.

Written By: wsmith4 on 10/13/10 at 10:55 am

Uhh, Facebook and Twitter were around in the early 2000's?

Written By: Starde on 10/13/10 at 12:38 pm

Facebook and Twitter first came out in the mid 00's, 2004 and 2006 respectively.

Written By: Howard on 10/13/10 at 1:15 pm

That was 2006, not the EARLY 2000s, and Facebook didn't become big until 2007 and Twitter in late 2008.

Sorry,I must've thought of something else.

Written By: Brian06 on 10/13/10 at 9:47 pm

The internet revolution is not dead, the PC revolution is what stopped and it ended the day the iPhone was released. PC's aren't going anywhere these days, it used to be where computers were outdated in 6 months, but these days that no longer applies. All the major advancement is now happening in mobile, and that's still really going hand in hand with the internet revolution for a greater mobile internet revolution.

Written By: Howard on 10/14/10 at 5:33 am

I remember 20-25 years ago when The Walkman Revolution began,How about those times when people would rollerskate on the sidewalks listening to "Bounce,Rock,Skate,Roll" By Vaughn Mason And Crew?

Written By: Howard on 10/14/10 at 5:34 am

The internet revolution is not dead, the PC revolution is what stopped and it ended the day the iPhone was released. PC's aren't going anywhere these days, it used to be where computers were outdated in 6 months, but these days that no longer applies. All the major advancement is now happening in mobile, and that's still really going hand in hand with the internet revolution for a greater mobile internet revolution.

now we have IPhones and IPads.

Written By: 80sfan on 10/15/10 at 2:23 am

I believe the latest technological paradigm shift happened sometime in the past several years. 2005 gave us Youtube. 2006 gave us Facebook and Twitter. But 2007 was when the iPhone came out, and since then it seems like the Internet in terms of the main force of change has taken a backseat to mobile technology.

I'd say about 2008. Yeah, I'd notice this too. Between 1994 and 2007 it was PC this and PC that, and around the past few years of so I'd notice innovation in PC has kinda slowed down.

The internet is still changing and rearranging though.

Written By: Brian06 on 10/15/10 at 2:30 am

I'd say about 2008. Yeah, I'd notice this too. Between 1994 and 2007 it was PC this and PC that, and around the past few years of so I'd notice innovation in PC has kinda slowed down.

I swear it seems like PC's barely change at all these days, it's nothing like where we went from 400 MHz to 1 GHz in like 2 years. I guess PC's have reached the point where they're about as good as they can get.

Written By: Howard on 10/15/10 at 7:11 am

And everyone these days wants faster internet speed.

Written By: whistledog on 10/15/10 at 8:43 am

Which is only limited on a phone.

Written By: wsmith4 on 10/15/10 at 10:37 am

They do?  These days I figured the internet was fast enough... how much faster could it get?

Written By: joeman on 10/15/10 at 11:49 am

I swear it seems like PC's barely change at all these days, it's nothing like where we went from 400 MHz to 1 GHz in like 2 years. I guess PC's have reached the point where they're about as good as they can get.

That is because we have used up the potential of shrinking the silicon transistors in processing chips.  So far we have almost reached a flat point.  When transistors becomes made in single electrons and can count up to 0-9 instead of binary, that is when we will have another computer boom!

Written By: Howard on 10/15/10 at 3:17 pm

They do?  These days I figured the internet was fast enough... how much faster could it get?

super speed.

Written By: Howard on 10/15/10 at 3:19 pm

Which is only limited on a phone.

now the internet will be available on a phone.

Written By: Mat1991 on 10/15/10 at 5:38 pm

I think the internet revolution sort of wore itself out and made way for the mobile revolution. These days, everybody wants everything on their cells. I'm sure the mobile revolution will lose steam eventually and will be replaced by some other technological innovation.

Written By: Howard on 10/16/10 at 6:43 am

I think the internet revolution sort of wore itself out and made way for the mobile revolution. These days, everybody wants everything on their cells. I'm sure the mobile revolution will lose steam eventually and will be replaced by some other technological innovation.

people want special apps on their phone.

Written By: whistledog on 10/19/10 at 11:49 pm

now the internet will be available on a phone.

It already is, and with most cell providers that offer Unlimited data, the speed is throttled after so many GB of use.

Written By: Howard on 10/20/10 at 6:41 am

I think both the mobile and internet revolution will keep on going for many years,people want different things on their phone and people want to stay home more because everything they want and need is available on the computer by browsing the internet.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/21/10 at 1:19 am

I really don't give a crap about your Apps, dude.

That's what the Mobile Revolution amounts to for me!
8)

Written By: Howard on 10/21/10 at 6:38 am

I really don't give a crap about your Apps, dude.

That's what the Mobile Revolution amounts to for me!
8)

Yeah,what do you need apps for anyway?  ::)

Written By: bchris02 on 10/22/10 at 12:23 am

I believe the Internet revolution had run its course when there was finally widespread broadband adoption in the US.  In 2005 most Americans (well over half of Internet users) were still on dial-up.  By 2007, the number still using dial-up had dropped to under a quarter.  Thats when the Mobile revolution began as people were no longer limited as to WHAT they could do on the Internet but rather WHERE they could use it.

Written By: bchris02 on 10/22/10 at 12:26 am

PC innovation slowed down when Microsoft released Vista.  Most people to this day still prefer Windows XP and want no part in Vista or Windows 7.  XP is significantly dated and mass innovation in new PC technology can't happen when most users are on an OS that will not support it (i.e. 64-bit).  Being in IT, I can assure people PC hardware raw power has increased a great deal since 2007...but software innovation has been virtually stagnant, giving the illusion that things haven't changed much.  I believe PC innovation will pick back up if/when Microsoft finally releases a new OS thats good enough to dethrone XP as the preferred operating environment.

Written By: Bobby on 10/24/10 at 5:34 pm

Internet on your phone is cool to have if you want to quickly look something up, but using it as a substitute for regular internet, which alot of people do, is dumb.

The iPhone is too hyped up.  Android phones, though not all, are better than the iPhone. 

I agree. I use the internet a lot on my touchscreen Archos player (which can be a pain if I am trying to select small print links) but I find it easier, faster and reliable to use the normal internet when I can.

Written By: wsmith4 on 05/18/11 at 2:27 pm

The internet is spotty at best.  I find that only certain people know how to use it, or even what it's about.  Half the time, you can't find what you're looking for and half the time you can't find anything and the other half the stuff you DO find is outdated and incoherent.  True cannabalism, for example - try finding a picture of that!  Or eating worms.  I've searched and searched such search engines as Dogpile and Yahoo for days and days but NOTHING.  AOL 4.0 promises big things, but I have yet to see the appeal.  Every chat room and IM I'm in is BLANDOLA.  I went into this Irish jig - nothing!

Written By: Howard on 05/18/11 at 7:24 pm

I think it began in the early 2000's.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/20/11 at 10:43 pm

The internet is spotty at best.  I find that only certain people know how to use it, or even what it's about.  Half the time, you can't find what you're looking for and half the time you can't find anything and the other half the stuff you DO find is outdated and incoherent.  True cannabalism, for example - try finding a picture of that!  Or eating worms.  I've searched and searched such search engines as Dogpile and Yahoo for days and days but NOTHING.  AOL 4.0 promises big things, but I have yet to see the appeal.  Every chat room and IM I'm in is BLANDOLA.  I went into this Irish jig - nothing!

WARNING! YOUR OPERATING SYSTEM IS UNDER ATTACK!

Click here to download ScareScan Premium for only $99.99!

Yes              or                    Yes

Check for new replies or respond here...