inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Positive things about the 2000s?

Written By: Mat1991 on 10/15/10 at 5:55 pm

It seems to have become a ubiquitous sight for me to see nothing but people complaining over how much the 2000s sucked. While I agree that the 2000s were sort of suckish, I hardly ever hear anybody point out the positives of the previous decade - and I know there were some, if you just dig deep enough.

For example, I would consider the progression of LGBT rights, as well as the growing tolerance for LGBT people in the United States, to be one positive thing from the 2000s. I would also consider the election of a biracial man as president of the United States to be an enormous step forward in social progression. All politics aside, though.  ::)

I don't think the styles and fads of the 2000s were really all that bad. I actually liked a lot of the styles, particularly how edgy they were.

Those are some positive things I can think of. I wonder if anybody else can think of some positive things as well.  :)

Subject: Re: Positive things about the 2000s?

Written By: 80sfan on 10/15/10 at 6:19 pm

I liked the economy. It wasn't as good as it was between 1994 and 2000, but it was sure waay better than now!

Then came late 2008 and it all went down hill.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 10/15/10 at 6:47 pm

Lots of amazing advances in technology.

Written By: Howard on 10/16/10 at 6:37 am

some good music that came out.

Written By: Davester on 10/16/10 at 6:51 am

For example, I would consider the progression of LGBT rights, as well as the growing tolerance for LGBT people in the United States, to be one positive thing from the 2000s. I would also consider the election of a biracial man as president of the United States to be an enormous step forward in social progression. All politics aside, though.  ::)

LGBT?  Anyway, I don't know about styles and fads but people should stop congratulating each other for electing a man with dark skin into the oval office.  He was elected because the alternative offered nada...

Written By: Mat1991 on 10/16/10 at 1:00 pm

LGBT?  Anyway, I don't know about styles and fads but people should stop congratulating each other for electing a man with dark skin into the oval office.  He was elected because the alternative offered nada...

I was too young to vote at the time anyway, but the main reason I supported Obama was because I disliked Sarah Palin so much. I also like to see it as social progression.

Like I said, I don't intend for this to turn into a political discussion.  ::)

Written By: Brian06 on 10/16/10 at 1:47 pm

Bush leaving office was a positive.

Written By: Howard on 10/16/10 at 2:27 pm

The decapitation Of Saddam Hussein.

Written By: Foo Bar on 10/16/10 at 4:14 pm

He wasn't decapitated, he was hung.  How well he was hung depends on what the videos of the rape rooms looked like.  Let's just stuck to talking about how competently he was hanged :)

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/16/10 at 4:24 pm

He wasn't decapitated, he was hung.  How well he was hung depends on what the videos of the rape rooms looked like.  Let's just stuck to talking about how competently he was hanged :)
The capture of Saddam Hussein?

Written By: Davester on 10/16/10 at 11:00 pm

I was too young to vote at the time anyway, but the main reason I supported Obama was because I disliked Sarah Palin so much. I also like to see it as social progression.

Like I said, I don't intend for this to turn into a political discussion.  ::)

Okay no problem.  You brought it up... ::)

There have been some excellent DVD releases in the '00s.  I landed my current excellent job in the '00s.  I moved back to my excellent hometown in the '00s...

Written By: Davester on 10/16/10 at 11:13 pm

There have been some excellent DVD releases in the '00s. 

Wait a minute, I've only been purchasing DVDs in the '00s...

Silly Davester...

Written By: Howard on 10/17/10 at 6:49 am

The capture of Saddam Hussein?

I meant "capture".

Written By: Howard on 10/17/10 at 6:50 am

Microsoft and Windows products.

Written By: yelimsexa on 10/18/10 at 8:30 am

Microsoft and Windows products.

'90s

But for me, I'd say making nostalgia more accessible through Youtube videos, DVD re-releases, the growth of eBay, online Book/Newspaper archives, and various nostalgic websites that have popped up, along with satellite radio with good nostalgic channels.

Written By: Starde on 10/18/10 at 11:28 am

'90s

But for me, I'd say making nostalgia more accessible through Youtube videos, DVD re-releases, the growth of eBay, online Book/Newspaper archives, and various nostalgic websites that have popped up, along with satellite radio with good nostalgic channels.

This, in addition to technology. Some other positive things that I can think of about the 00's has to mainly do with some great memories from my personal life.

Written By: Howard on 10/18/10 at 2:11 pm

As for me,I had a girlfriend,she broke up with me and we both moved on with our lives and I got a few paying jobs with the help from my job coach one from Au Bon Pain in 2006 and Pathmark in 2007.

Written By: bchris02 on 10/25/10 at 12:10 am

The 2000s as a decade sucked as far as current and political events.  That said, I believe by 2025 we will all look back on the '00s much more kindly than we do now.  The perfect example of this is the '70s.  If you lived in the '70s, you lived through Vietnam, Watergate, several oil crises', a stagnating economy, and more than one completely incompetent President, yet for some reason people look back on the '70s as one of the greatest decades of the 20th century.  There is probably more '70s nostalgia than there is nostalgia for any other decade...yet its a decade that pretty much sucked.  When 2025 gets here, it will be interesting to see what the general consensus is about the '00s.  I have a feeling it isn't going to be all that bad.

Part of the reason I believe the '00s as of now leave such a bad taste in our mouth is when they began in 2000 we were at the height of the greatest economic expansion in our nations history.  There was pretty much nowhere to go but down.

Written By: Davester on 10/25/10 at 12:19 am

'90s

Accessible nostalgia.  Seems like a contradiction in terms...

Written By: sonikuu on 10/25/10 at 2:43 am

The 2000s as a decade sucked as far as current and political events.  That said, I believe by 2025 we will all look back on the '00s much more kindly than we do now.  The perfect example of this is the '70s.  If you lived in the '70s, you lived through Vietnam, Watergate, several oil crises', a stagnating economy, and more than one completely incompetent President, yet for some reason people look back on the '70s as one of the greatest decades of the 20th century.  There is probably more '70s nostalgia than there is nostalgia for any other decade...yet its a decade that pretty much sucked.  When 2025 gets here, it will be interesting to see what the general consensus is about the '00s.  I have a feeling it isn't going to be all that bad.

Part of the reason I believe the '00s as of now leave such a bad taste in our mouth is when they began in 2000 we were at the height of the greatest economic expansion in our nations history.  There was pretty much nowhere to go but down.

This is a very good point.  It should be noted that the 70s were quite hated on in the 80s.  I even found a book about the 70s, written in 1980, describing it as "the decade when everything that could go wrong went wrong."  Let's also keep in mind the 70s is when nostalgia first really took hold, in the form of 50s nostalgia.  Nostalgia was practically nonexistent in the 50s and 60s.  At the very least, the 00s will go down in history as an interesting time to be alive in, for better or worse.

Also, it should be noted that there is one very big positive to the 00s: more people than ever before lived prosperous and fairly peaceful lives.  It may have been bad for much of us in the West, but for much of Asia it was probably the best decade that their population has ever experienced.  Heck, look at China.  In the 80s, it was suffering from mass poverty and while poverty is still widespread, they now have a 300 million strong middle class.  India has a similar story and while countries like Thailand and Vietnam still aren't exactly rich, their people are living better lives than they've ever had in their lifetimes.

Written By: 80sfan on 10/25/10 at 3:40 am

This is a very good point.  It should be noted that the 70s were quite hated on in the 80s.  I even found a book about the 70s, written in 1980, describing it as "the decade when everything that could go wrong went wrong."  Let's also keep in mind the 70s is when nostalgia first really took hold, in the form of 50s nostalgia.  Nostalgia was practically nonexistent in the 50s and 60s.  At the very least, the 00s will go down in history as an interesting time to be alive in, for better or worse.

Also, it should be noted that there is one very big positive to the 00s: more people than ever before lived prosperous and fairly peaceful lives.  It may have been bad for much of us in the West, but for much of Asia it was probably the best decade that their population has ever experienced.  Heck, look at China.  In the 80s, it was suffering from mass poverty and while poverty is still widespread, they now have a 300 million strong middle class.  India has a similar story and while countries like Thailand and Vietnam still aren't exactly rich, their people are living better lives than they've ever had in their lifetimes.

I didn't know that. Interesting!  :D

Written By: Howard on 10/25/10 at 6:43 am

When 2025 gets here, it will be interesting to see what the general consensus is about the '00s.  I have a feeling it isn't going to be all that bad.

I have a feeling there will be twice the people living here in The United States.

Written By: yelimsexa on 10/25/10 at 8:00 am

I even found a book about the 70s, written in 1980, describing it as "the decade when everything that could go wrong went wrong.".

I think you could say the same about Japan and Korea in the '70s. In that decade (as well as the '80s), both of those countries' economies boomed and rose as world powers, with booms in industry and technology, and that was after being devistated by WWII (Japan) and the Korean War.

I also have a book published in 1980 called the 1980s: Countdown to Armaggedon, painting a vividly pessimistic view about the coming decade. But the 1980s didn't turn out badly (despite an enourmous increase in technology and consumerism taking off). Except this dance-pop is if disco was still going strong in late 1980, and the music was a vast disappointment unfortunately. 

Written By: Shiv on 10/28/10 at 8:46 pm

It produced a lot of cheesy pop culture that will be laughable in the 10s and beyond.

I didn't mind emo music actually. As cheesy as it is/was, at least it was fresh.

Can't really thing of anything besides that.

Written By: Howard on 10/29/10 at 6:42 am

XBox 360,Playstation 2 and 3,Wii.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/29/10 at 12:25 pm

I married my best friend in 2003-the best day of my life. There was also the birth of our 4 granddaughters (our grandson was born this year). Can't get more positive than that.

Cat

Written By: Howard on 10/29/10 at 7:52 pm

I had 2 paying jobs with the help from my job coach.

Written By: bchris02 on 11/04/10 at 9:52 pm

It produced a lot of cheesy pop culture that will be laughable in the 10s and beyond.

I didn't mind emo music actually. As cheesy as it is/was, at least it was fresh.

Can't really thing of anything besides that.

Emo music was fine.  I loved Good Charlotte, Simple Plan, and All America Rejects back in the day.  I much prefer it to the post-grunge (Nickelback, Daughtry, etc) that seemed to drag on throughout the entire decade. 

Now emo fashion is a whole different can of worms...

Written By: Brian06 on 11/05/10 at 1:42 am

Emo music was fine.  I loved Good Charlotte, Simple Plan, and All America Rejects back in the day.  I much prefer it to the post-grunge (Nickelback, Daughtry, etc) that seemed to drag on throughout the entire decade. 

I liked post grunge in the first half of the decade but it didn't seem right after that, not to mention it just got worst with super lame bands like Hinder. I even liked Nickelback back in the day, I still like How You Remind Me and stuff but after Photograph it almost all sucks. I liked Three Doors Down too and Matchbox Twenty.

Written By: Howard on 11/05/10 at 6:41 am

We had some good reality shows like Survivor and dancing shows.

Written By: Shiv on 11/05/10 at 8:58 am

I liked post grunge in the first half of the decade but it didn't seem right after that, not to mention it just got worst with super lame bands like Hinder. I even liked Nickelback back in the day, I still like How You Remind Me and stuff but after Photograph it almost all sucks. I liked Three Doors Down too and Matchbox Twenty.

I think post-grunge is just finally beginning to die out. I think Daughtry was the last new post-grunge band to come out and that was in what, 2006? I'm not complaining. It was ok at first, but the genre has not evolved at ALL in 15 years. It's played out. I don't think there's any difference between a 1995 post-grunge song and a present day post-grunge song. Plus it pales in comparison to real grunge like Alice in Chains, Nirvana, etc.

Written By: bchris02 on 11/06/10 at 7:32 pm

Agree.  Nickelback was decent in 2002, not so much in 2008.  If post grunge would have died in the 2004-2005 timeframe when it should have, I wouldn't have the disdain for it that I do.  However, the crappiness that was pretty much everything from 2006 onwards completely ruined the genre.  At least its finally appearing to die off.

Written By: Howard on 11/06/10 at 7:49 pm

I started here in 2001,that was one positive thing.  :)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/09/10 at 7:39 pm

I started here in 2001,that was one positive thing.  :)

Yeah, I remember.  When I joined inthe00s in 2003 you were already here!
:)

Written By: Howard on 11/10/10 at 6:40 am

almost 10 years ago.

Written By: joeman on 11/11/10 at 3:54 pm

I think post-grunge is just finally beginning to die out. I think Daughtry was the last new post-grunge band to come out and that was in what, 2006? I'm not complaining. It was ok at first, but the genre has not evolved at ALL in 15 years. It's played out. I don't think there's any difference between a 1995 post-grunge song and a present day post-grunge song. Plus it pales in comparison to real grunge like Alice in Chains, Nirvana, etc.

Not really.  Nirvana wasn't really a good band at all, and a band like Future Leaders of the World could have been easily swapped year periods and would have been as successful.  AIC is just a talented band, period.

Post-Grunge seems like a really broad and undefined term to encompass bands that sound like Pearl Jam, but really most of the bands were quite different than the standard "low singing about how the world sucks" attitude.  Take Collective Soul for instance, a great band that appeared after 1994 and kicked a lot of ass!

The grunge rock scene and it's elements are dying off, but that is because most of the audience are now 25 and older and aren't into that music anymore.

Written By: joeman on 11/11/10 at 3:56 pm

I don't consider Good Charlotte as emo, but they were pop-punk.

Written By: bchris02 on 11/11/10 at 5:37 pm

I don't consider Good Charlotte as emo, but they were pop-punk.

Good Charlotte was at the very beginning stages of emo rock.  They came along during the era where the pop-punk of the late 90s was transitioning into emo.  Some of Good Charlotte's songs fit the emo category more than others.

Written By: Howard on 11/11/10 at 6:58 pm

different genres of music.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/12/10 at 6:17 pm

Just went through the archives and realized that I joined on this date in 2002.

Cat

Written By: Howard on 11/13/10 at 6:35 am

Just went through the archives and realized that I joined on this date in 2002.

Cat

Wow,So it's been 8 years?

Written By: bigdsketch92 on 12/10/10 at 10:19 pm

Well, to me the good things were all the advancements of technology, being able to keep up with current friends and old friends via facebook and myspace, and accessible nostalgia. Oh! And not to mention the ease and instant gratification of being able to buy music without having to go to a music or record store.  :)

Written By: nintieskid999 on 12/11/10 at 11:49 pm

Faster Internet connections
The Ipod
Flat screen TVs
USB Flash Drives
Youtube

Written By: 80sfan on 12/12/10 at 12:11 am

Sunshine, rainbows, and horses with carrots glued to their head with the pointy part of the carrot sticking out!!  ;D

If that's not positive, I don't know what is.

Written By: Howard on 12/12/10 at 7:07 am

Faster Internet connections
The Ipod
Flat screen TVs
USB Flash Drives
Youtube

just about everything was computerized.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 12/12/10 at 9:23 am

just about everything was computerized.

Yeah, I think the technology was the best thing to come out of the 00s decade. I think that the tech boom of 90s through the 10s will be noted in the history books. I sometimes wonder what 2100 will have in store for us.

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/12/10 at 9:25 am

Yeah, I think the technology was the best thing to come out of the 00s decade. I think that the tech boom of 90s through the 10s will be noted in the history books. I sometimes wonder what 2100 will have in store for us.
...if history books are still around in the future?

Written By: Howard on 12/12/10 at 12:29 pm

Let's hope we're still around.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 12/13/10 at 6:08 pm

...if history books are still around in the future?

I actually think they will be. I like the feel of a book or printed paper better when reading over 10 pages of anything.

Written By: Howard on 12/13/10 at 7:42 pm

I actually think they will be. I like the feel of a book or printed paper better when reading over 10 pages of anything.

and a printed book about the 2000's.

Written By: DJ Blaze on 01/03/11 at 8:33 pm

Theocracy's "Mirror Of Souls" album, Power Quest's "Magic Never Dies" album, other power metal albums, PlayStation Network, Pokemon SoulSilver, plenty of things.

Written By: SpyroKev on 09/20/15 at 11:11 am

The classic 2000s? Silver age, original music, soul, atmosphere, t.v, golden age Nintendo, PS2, golden age school culture, nostalgic websites, no consuming technology.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 09/20/15 at 11:26 am

For the 2000s? I guess we didn't had that much advanced technology until the late 2000s, but stuff like iPhones weren't that popular until the early 2010s. The decade was also notable for its golden ages of Pixar movies and sheesh like that. Compared to the 2010s, it just seems better in my opinion.

Written By: ArcticFox on 09/20/15 at 11:51 am

The classic 2000s? Silver age, original music, soul, atmosphere, t.v, golden age Nintendo, PS2, golden age school culture, nostalgic websites, no consuming technology.

You're wrong about everything except Nintendo and PS2. ;)

Written By: Baltimoreian on 09/20/15 at 11:54 am

Wasn't there a lot of nostalgia for the 80s during the 2000s? So, he is right about the nostalgia websites, I guess. Especially when this website was already nostalgic about the 80s during that decade.

Written By: SpyroKev on 09/20/15 at 12:12 pm

What? You could still tell the difference between music genres during the earlier 2000s. That's original enough to me. The vibe was also great.

Written By: Howard on 09/20/15 at 2:32 pm

What was wrong with The PS2? ???

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 09/20/15 at 4:07 pm

What was wrong with The PS2? ???

No he was saying the PS2 and GameCube were good things.

Written By: ArcticFox on 09/20/15 at 10:50 pm

What? You could still tell the difference between music genres during the earlier 2000s. That's original enough to me. The vibe was also great.

If you're talking about 2000 and 2001 early '00s then yes, but 2002 is pretty much where music sounded the same for a several years. There really weren't that many genres; mostly bland post-grunge and over-the-top rap. The good stuff was never given a chance. This is also where fake acts of rebellion came into play, such as Avril Lavigne (whose newer stuff I find better), P!nk, Eminem, and 50 Cent. These people were very commercial and yet they had the guts to actually say they were being "real" and "serious musicians". These people were no where near as brash and charismatic as 2Pac, Alanis Morissette, Garbage, Green Day, Tragic Kingdom era No Doubt, and The Smashing Pumpkins. They make those aughts artists look like child's play.

The aughts didn't get better on a Top 40 musical level until the very end.

Written By: bchris02 on 09/20/15 at 10:57 pm

If you're talking about 2000 and 2001 early '00s then yes, but 2002 is pretty much where music sounded the same for a several years. There really weren't that many genres; mostly bland post-grunge and over-the-top rap. The good stuff was never. This is also where fake acts of rebellion came into play, such as Avril Lavigne (whose newer stuff I find better), P!nk, Eminem, and 50 Cent. These people were very commercial and yet they had the guts to actually say they were being "real" and "serious musicians". These people were no where near as brash and charismatic as 2Pac, Alanis Morissette, Garbage, Green Day, Tragic Kingdom era No Doubt, and The Smashing Pumpkins. They make those aughts artists look like child's play.

I disagree about Eminem.  He really pushed the boundary, especially on his first two albums.  There was a huge shock factor on the Marshal Mathers LP. He also brought hip-hop to an audience that wasn't previously listening.  The Eminem Show was toned down a bit and more commercial.  I agree on Avril Lavigne, Pink, and 50 Cent.  Musically, the '00s started and finished great but were kind of bland in the middle, especially in 2005 and 2006.

Written By: Slim95 on 09/21/15 at 11:00 am

Everything is positive about the 2000s. 2000s are my favourite decade!

Written By: Howard on 09/21/15 at 3:15 pm

No he was saying the PS2 and GameCube were good things.

The PS2 was a good console but I was glad to have upgraded to a PS3.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 09/21/15 at 7:45 pm

The PS2 was a good console but I was glad to have upgraded to a PS3.

I'm just glad I have both to this day! 8)

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 09/21/15 at 7:58 pm

I have all 4 Playstations

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 09/21/15 at 8:21 pm

me too!! :D

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 09/21/15 at 8:26 pm

The original PlayStation was soo groundbreaking! Even though I think N64 was the better console, the PS1 was the ''cool kids'' console. It took what Atari and SEGA did and took it to a whole ANOTHER level. You had more badass and cutting edge games at the time. It had MGS, Tekken 3, Grand Turismo, Crash Bandicoot, Spyro, Final Fantasy 7. etc Every big kid I knew back then owned one! While us ''nerds'' and ''little kiddies'' had the N64, according to cocky kids at my school back then.

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 09/21/15 at 8:46 pm

The original PlayStation was soo groundbreaking! Even though I think N64 was the better console, the PS1 was the ''cool kids'' console. It took what Atari and SEGA did and took it to a whole ANOTHER level. You had more badass and cutting edge games at the time. It had MGS, Tekken 3, Grand Turismo, Crash Bandicoot, Spyro, Final Fantasy 7. etc Every big kid I knew back then owned one! While us ''nerds'' and ''little kiddies'' had the N64, according to cocky kids at my school back then.

Lol true! And if you were me and you had older cousins, then you were influenced by their gaming choices, which all of my cousins had the PS1. Sure a couple of them, the ones my age, had the N64, they still also had a PS1 as well. However throughout Pre School & Early Elementary School I was always one of the very few kids in class that had a PS1, while the rest of my friends had the N64 lol

Written By: bchris02 on 09/21/15 at 9:10 pm

I remember this.  The "in" crowd was all about the Playstation and hated the N64.  I had an N64 and personally loved it.  I do think the Playstation was the first "modern" console when it comes to the types and feel of the games people played on it.  N64 was a lot more like the classic games from earlier generations with a modern (3D) twist on it.  Playstation was truly next gen.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 09/21/15 at 9:40 pm

I remember this.  The "in" crowd was all about the Playstation and hated the N64.  I had an N64 and personally loved it.  I do think the Playstation was the first "modern" console when it comes to the types and feel of the games people played on it.  N64 was a lot more like the classic games from earlier generations with a modern (3D) twist on it.  Playstation was truly next gen.

I might sound crazy, but the N64 was the last console that felt classic. Older guys would say the SNES was. But think about it the N64 was the last console to use cartridges, and last to feel like it was old school. PS1 felt brand new and then the Dreamcast was released and the gaming industry began to go through a MAJOR transitional period during the 6th gen after SEGA left the hardware market and Microsoft came with XBOX and then the industry evolved even more after that. 5th and 6th gen were both turning points for the industry.

Written By: bchris02 on 09/22/15 at 12:27 am

I might sound crazy, but the N64 was the last console that felt classic. Older guys would say the SNES was. But think about it the N64 was the last console to use cartridges, and last to feel like it was old school. PS1 felt brand new and then the Dreamcast was released and the gaming industry began to go through a MAJOR transitional period during the 6th gen after SEGA left the hardware market and Microsoft came with XBOX and then the industry evolved even more after that. 5th and 6th gen were both turning points for the industry.

This is pretty much exactly what I was saying.  N64 and the major titles released for it really had that classic console gaming feel despite being 3D.  Playstation on the other hand felt like a more primitive PS2 or Xbox.

Written By: Howard on 09/22/15 at 2:22 pm

You have both PS2 and PS3?

Written By: Howard on 09/22/15 at 2:23 pm

with lots of games?

Written By: Howard on 09/22/15 at 2:24 pm

me too!! :D

I just own a PS3, has everything I need in a console.

Written By: ArcticFox on 09/24/15 at 1:25 pm

He also brought hip-hop to an audience that wasn't previously listening.

Who? The rural white community?

Musically, the '00s started and finished great but were kind of bland in the middle, especially in 2005 and 2006.

Spanning the decade, what would you say were the good years and the bad years?

Written By: SpyroKev on 09/24/15 at 7:00 pm

If you're talking about 2000 and 2001 early '00s then yes, but 2002 is pretty much where music sounded the same for a several years. There really weren't that many genres; mostly bland post-grunge and over-the-top rap. The good stuff was never given a chance. This is also where fake acts of rebellion came into play, such as Avril Lavigne (whose newer stuff I find better), P!nk, Eminem, and 50 Cent. These people were very commercial and yet they had the guts to actually say they were being "real" and "serious musicians". These people were no where near as brash and charismatic as 2Pac, Alanis Morissette, Garbage, Green Day, Tragic Kingdom era No Doubt, and The Smashing Pumpkins. They make those aughts artists look like child's play.

It doesn't matter to me rather 50 Cent was being honest or not. He still managed to make memorable music in a good way. We all have our opinions based from how we enjoyed certain years all in all.

Written By: Shemp97 on 09/28/15 at 12:26 pm

Only people who think the 00s sucked are pre-21st century fanboys and people without good taste. 8)

Also, it should be noted that there is one very big positive to the 00s: more people than ever before lived prosperous and fairly peaceful lives.  It may have been bad for much of us in the US, but for much of Asia it was probably the best decade that their population has ever experienced.  Heck, look at China.  In the 80s, it was suffering from mass poverty and while poverty is still widespread, they now have a 300 million strong middle class.  India has a similar story and while countries like Thailand and Vietnam still aren't exactly rich, their people are living better lives than they've ever had in their lifetimes.

FTFY

Written By: TheEarly90sGuy on 09/28/15 at 12:28 pm

Positive things about the 2000s?

http://www.x-entertainment.com/updates/pics/xm08-3/whistle.jpg

Written By: Shemp97 on 09/28/15 at 12:38 pm

I'd argue it was the Dreamcast in 1998. That console actually shares alot in common with the late 00s consoles, PS3/360. The online and EHD graphics stick out.

Written By: Howard on 09/28/15 at 3:14 pm

introduction to The PS2 and PS3.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 09/28/15 at 4:15 pm

Positive things about the 2000s?

http://www.x-entertainment.com/updates/pics/xm08-3/whistle.jpg

Let me guess, you can only think about 9/11, the Iraq War, Hurricane Katrina and everything else about the 2000s being terrible.

Written By: SpyroKev on 09/28/15 at 7:44 pm

Let me guess, you can only think about 9/11, the Iraq War, Hurricane Katrina and everything else about the 2000s being terrible.

Its not worth it. Read the signs. 90ers from what I heard can be really stuck up. They like to throw their eras in your face. That person just had nothing better to do.

Written By: TheEarly90sGuy on 09/29/15 at 10:46 am

Its not worth it. Read the signs. 90ers from what I heard can be really stuck up. They like to throw their eras in your face. That person just had nothing better to do.

I'm not a '90er, for your information.

There were negative things about the early '90s also.

https://img1.etsystatic.com/050/0/6756754/il_340x270.713886251_pxri.jpg

You could have gotten killed for not giving up your Starter jacket, back then.

http://wattieib.pbworks.com/f/political%20cartoon.jpg

The 1990 Tax Hike

http://www.enviraz.co.uk/images/about_asbestos1.jpg

Asbestos in Schools

http://cdn.zmescience.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/ozone-layer-chemicasl.png

Ozone Depletion

http://images.paperbackswap.com/l/39/6239/9780064406239.jpg

Gangs in Schools

No time is without its flaws.

Written By: SpyroKev on 09/29/15 at 11:56 am

I'm not a '90er, for your information.

There were negative things about the early '90s also.

No time is without its flaws.

Wish you would have noted that in your recent post. You were making it seem as the 90s were flawless.

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 09/29/15 at 12:44 pm

I got divorced from my first husband and later married my second husband.  That was all positive.  ;) ;D

Written By: KatanaChick on 09/29/15 at 1:15 pm

Wish you would have noted that in your recent post. You were making it seem as the 90s were flawless.

He only cares about the early years of it, and can't contribute anything to a topic without bringing them up.  ::)

Written By: TheEarly90sGuy on 09/29/15 at 2:53 pm

He only cares about the early years of it, and can't contribute anything to a topic without bringing them up.  ::)

Now that I think about it, I should create an Early '90s Preservation Society.  ;D

Written By: TheEarly90sGuy on 09/29/15 at 9:16 pm

I take it you were not alive in the cynical '90s (1993, 1994, and 1995).

Well, during that time, there were movies like this in theaters:

http://i.imgur.com/XCicL.jpg

People were wearing these everywhere:

https://img1.etsystatic.com/053/0/7408867/il_570xN.703907953_38iq.jpg

How could I ever forget coming across this show after channel surfing:

http://showbizgeek.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/my-so-called-life-cast-pic.jpg

The '90s, like every other decade, were far from flawless.

Written By: SpyroKev on 09/29/15 at 11:13 pm

I actually seen a debate he turned heated in a similar thread haha I'm aware now.
I take it you were not alive in the cynical '90s (1993, 1994, and 1995).
The '90s, like every other decade, were far from flawless.

In all do respect, I'm way to proud of my inspirations to care about your "Make your self feel better to have fully experienced a certain ere" assumptions. I don't remember the early 90s. Nor do I care to. I don't like the early 90s. I like 94 and onwards which is the years I remember pretty clear. I'm not getting anymore into this debate.

Written By: TheEarly90sGuy on 09/29/15 at 11:40 pm

In all do respect, I'm way to proud of my inspirations to care about your "Make your self feel better to have fully experienced a certain ere" assumptions. I don't remember the early 90s. Nor do I care to. I don't like the early 90s. I like 94 and onwards which is the years I remember pretty clear. I'm not getting anymore into this debate.

They aren't assumptions, though. ;D

Written By: TheEarly90sGuy on 10/04/15 at 1:34 pm

Only people who think the 00s sucked are pre-21st century fanboys and people without good taste. 8)
FTFY

So, The Phantom Menace was a better movie than A New Hope to you?  :o

Check for new replies or respond here...