inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Y2K

Written By: joeman on 10/16/10 at 11:23 pm

I never bought in into products that promoted that this product is "Y2K safe."  It is amazing how a lot of people freaked out in 1999.  There were many songs before then that predited 1999 as an end of the world, like Eazy E and Bone Thugs N Harmony.  I can see the reasoning behind it, because computer's aren't always fallible, but anyone can set their computer settings to 2000-something and see what happens to their computer.  Anyways, the day of December 31st, 1999 and the Janurary 1st, 2000, were two exciting days for me.  How did everyone else feel abouot Y2K?

Subject: Re: Y2K

Written By: Davester on 10/16/10 at 11:55 pm

Wasn't too worried about it.  Woke-up the next morning and the sun was up as usual...

But the profits raked-in over the Y2K scare must have been immense.  Last gasp before the "bubble" popped, I s'pose...

Written By: Howard on 10/17/10 at 6:48 am

I had a feeling nothing would happen,just like nothing will happen on 12 21 12.

Written By: karen on 10/17/10 at 7:43 am

The reason nothing happened was because companies took action just in time.  Some data logging equipment I was working with did actually reset because of the date change.  Thankfully they weren't logging anything critical at the time but when I next came to use them they all thought it was January 1980.

Written By: Howard on 10/18/10 at 6:30 am

I wonder if they'll be another Y2K on 12 21 12?  ???

Written By: Starde on 10/18/10 at 11:25 am

Oh man, the whole Y2K freakout... ;D Definitely one of the most amusing freakouts I've seen so far in my life. I remember being a rid at the time and my mom packed one or two duffel bags of survival supplies, haha! ;D

Written By: Howard on 10/18/10 at 2:14 pm

Oh man, the whole Y2K freakout... ;D Definitely one of the most amusing freakouts I've seen so far in my life. I remember being a rid at the time and my mom packed one or two duffel bags of survival supplies, haha! ;D

I remember I was with a girlfriend at the time on December 31,1999 and nothing happened,it's like it was all a joke.

Written By: 80sfan on 10/18/10 at 8:46 pm

I remember I was with a girlfriend at the time on December 31,1999 and nothing happened,it's like it was all a joke.

After we are still alive on December 22, 2012 there will be speculation that the world is gonna end in a future time after 2012!  ;D It never ends does it?  ::)

Written By: Mat1991 on 10/18/10 at 9:22 pm

I was only eight years old at the time, so I have no recollection whatsoever of the whole Y2K scare. I am, however, looking forward to 2012.  ;)

Written By: Howard on 10/19/10 at 6:39 am

After we are still alive on December 22, 2012 there will be speculation that the world is gonna end in a future time after 2012!  ;D It never ends does it?  ::)

Then we're gonna hear a speech from Osama Bin Laden. ::)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/21/10 at 1:29 am

Y2K was a conduit for our millennial anxiety.  We often respond disproportionately to symbolic change. 

The reality is the experts anticipated the arrival of 2000 and prepared for it.  A few got it wrong, such as the Maine DMV, but life went on as normal.  The paranoid Y2K stockpile became the paranoid suburban bomb shelter in the 1950s.  Uh, if one of those H-bombs detonates over the Chicago Loop, what you've got there is a not a shelter, but a pressure cooker!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/15/violent4.gif

Now, if the spaghetti hit the fan on 01/01/00, I would much rather have a cache of AK-47s than a can of beans!

I collected neither.  I read Joseph Conrad's "Heart of Darkness" on 12/31 and dozed off early.  I awoke to find everything quite normal.
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/10/wolfie.gif

Written By: Howard on 10/21/10 at 6:37 am

I had a feeling nothing would happen,I mean what were we afraid of? ???

Written By: whistledog on 10/21/10 at 7:04 am

Y2K broke the computer I had at the time.  No joke.  Whem midnight hit, the time on my desktop froze.  So when I rebooted, I started getting all these script errors with Windows and IE.  Never prevented me from using the computer, but clicking those error boxes to make them go away was a pain.

Written By: Bobby on 10/24/10 at 5:41 pm

Interesting to know some people did have teething problems with the old Y2K episode. I thought the whole thing was a figment of the media's imagination. I remember leaving a millenium party at Plymouth Hoe and deliberately trying my cash card after 12:00am that morning and was surprised everything was running as normal.

The apocolyptic images of aeroplanes falling out of the sky and the world falling into some technological dark age didn't materialise. I do wonder sometimes if that was exactly what the human race needed.

Written By: Howard on 10/24/10 at 8:17 pm

And I thought The Lord Jesus Christ would come down to save us all at Midnight.

Written By: Davester on 10/24/10 at 8:43 pm

And I thought The Lord Jesus Christ would come down to save us all at Midnight.

He came to me but I was too busy.  Told him to come back later...

Written By: Howard on 10/24/10 at 9:00 pm

;D

Written By: Starde on 10/26/10 at 8:34 am

Hahahahaha! ;D

Written By: Howard on 10/26/10 at 7:33 pm

Will there be another Y2K, 2012? ???

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/26/10 at 10:21 pm

I hope he doesn't come back tonight.  I hear he's in a crummy mood!
:o

Written By: Quadratic on 10/27/10 at 1:15 am

Wow, this brings back memories. Personally, I wasn't worried about it. But I had family that swore up and down that there was going to be chaos in the streets, riots, the whole bit. They bought an expensive generator, had the basement stocked full with boxes of bottled water stacked in 5 foot towers (like a warehouse). They also got an alarm for the house and set up a video monitoring system for the property (and this was before this kind of whole house cam monitoring stuff became a little more normalized). Plus the food stock as well. I mean, I think it's a great idea to be prepared, but at the time, it was just mind boggling to see this.

I believe they drank all the bottled water by now.

Written By: Howard on 10/27/10 at 6:34 am

I hope he doesn't come back tonight.  I hear he's in a crummy mood!
:o

Mother Nature willl be his replacement,she will strike down with a vengenace.

Written By: Superflykid 2008 on 10/27/10 at 3:18 pm

I was a little worried. But only because all of the adults were acting a little panicey. I was at a church events, and remember being a little nervous. However, i was only a barley 10 year old then, so...that's my excuse.  ::)

Written By: 80sfan on 10/28/10 at 4:41 am

Blah blah blah YK2!  :D

Written By: Howard on 10/28/10 at 6:34 am

Blah blah blah YK2!  :D

That's Y2K,not YK2. ::)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/03/10 at 8:57 pm

That's Y2K,not YK2. ::)

That's what happens when you meet the Yeti climbing K2!
:-\\

Written By: nintieskid999 on 11/07/10 at 5:22 pm

I was only eight years old at the time, so I have no recollection whatsoever of the whole Y2K scare. I am, however, looking forward to 2012.  ;)

I was 13 at the time. I remember being scared out of my mind about what would happen in the year 2000. I was expecting a total collapse in the nation's system. It just goes to show how two people in the same generation can have a different level remembrance concerning events.

Written By: 80sfan on 11/07/10 at 6:21 pm

I didn't think that the world would end in 1999 for some instinctive reason.  ?????

I have a bad feeling about the era we are living in though!  :-[

Written By: nintieskid999 on 11/07/10 at 9:03 pm

I didn't think that the world would end in 1999 for some instinctive reason.  ?????

I sincerely believe we're living in a time as tumultuous as the 60s. I've spoken to some people who remember the decade and they agree.

Written By: 80sfan on 11/07/10 at 11:50 pm

I sincerely believe we're living in a time as tumultuous as the 60s. I've spoken to some people who remember the decade and they agree.

I think this 'era' we've been living in started circa 2001 with 9/11 and will continue so for the next 30 years or so. Who knows nintieskid1999, it might turn out even bigger than the 60's!  8)

Written By: Howard on 11/08/10 at 6:39 am

I didn't think the world was going to end either but this past year it kind of reminded me of Armageddon when during the summer you had those heavy gusty thunderstorms,4 tornadoes,wind storms and hurricanes.

Check for new replies or respond here...