inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Article on fashion in my high school newspaper from 2007

Written By: Mat1991 on 12/04/10 at 7:27 am

I just thought that this gave an interesting perspective on the fads and styles of the time. The article is from the newspaper that was released on October 10th, 2007.

Yesterday's hot trends reheated this season

One of this summer's biggest hits, "Party Like a Rock Star" by the Shop Boyz, took off as more than just a number one single but also as a new fashion statement. This new trend looks like Jay-Z meets Travis Barker. It looks like Vans, skater shirts and studded belts are no longer just for the "skaters." Almost every boy has a Famous shirt or pair of slip-on Vans, and every girl owns rock-inspired skinny jeans.

It's not just the girls who wear tight clothes; boys are sporting close-fitted tiny tees, the exact opposite of the once hot, now cold, style of tall tees. So boys, give those night gowns back to your grandma and search your little brother's closet for a little shirt to better show off your "guns."

Then, on the other side of the music spectrum is the actual rock scene. In the 90's, it was Generation X; in the 00s, it's the Generation of Angst, the generation of emotions worn on the sleeves of tight black artsy shirts, the "emos." Here the usual rock demeanor has been replaced with a trendier artistic look, where the music is sadder and more poetic.

It's not just a sandwich of rock and hip-hop, but fashion is also going retro. Boys are in 80's-inspired flat tops and girls' pompadours are bigger than before. The emo look was "in" during the 80's, about the time The Cure was at its height. Even the mix of hip hop and a style that's very "un-hip-hop," like today with the mix of hip-hop and rock, happened before in the 90's when Compton got a preppier vibe as Tommy Hilfiger (a designer for a very preppy WASPy look) was introduced. Even slip-on Vans were big in the 70s among the up-and-coming skaters in California.

Now, we're showing off the big accessories: the relaxed, peep-toe shoes, the vests and chunky knits, which are inspirations of the 60's and 70's. Then, mix them with a vintage-inspired dress or tunic. There are brights colors, loud makeup, colorful patterns and leggings from the 80's. So for this upcoming season, girls, get your mother's, or even your grandmother's, old pictures and let inspiration come to you.

Subject: Re: Article on fashion in my high school newspaper from 2007

Written By: 80sfan on 12/07/10 at 11:52 am

I just thought that this gave an interesting perspective on the fads and styles of the time. The article is from the newspaper that was released on October 10th, 2007.

Yesterday's hot trends reheated this season

One of this summer's biggest hits, "Party Like a Rock Star" by the Shop Boyz, took off as more than just a number one single but also as a new fashion statement. This new trend looks like Jay-Z meets Travis Barker. It looks like Vans, skater shirts and studded belts are no longer just for the "skaters." Almost every boy has a Famous shirt or pair of slip-on Vans, and every girl owns rock-inspired skinny jeans.

It's not just the girls who wear tight clothes; boys are sporting close-fitted tiny tees, the exact opposite of the once hot, now cold, style of tall tees. So boys, give those night gowns back to your grandma and search your little brother's closet for a little shirt to better show off your "guns."

Then, on the other side of the music spectrum is the actual rock scene. In the 90's, it was Generation X; in the 00s, it's the Generation of Angst, the generation of emotions worn on the sleeves of tight black artsy shirts, the "emos." Here the usual rock demeanor has been replaced with a trendier artistic look, where the music is sadder and more poetic.

It's not just a sandwich of rock and hip-hop, but fashion is also going retro. Boys are in 80's-inspired flat tops and girls' pompadours are bigger than before. The emo look was "in" during the 80's, about the time The Cure was at its height. Even the mix of hip hop and a style that's very "un-hip-hop," like today with the mix of hip-hop and rock, happened before in the 90's when Compton got a preppier vibe as Tommy Hilfiger (a designer for a very preppy WASPy look) was introduced. Even slip-on Vans were big in the 70s among the up-and-coming skaters in California.

Now, we're showing off the big accessories: the relaxed, peep-toe shoes, the vests and chunky knits, which are inspirations of the 60's and 70's. Then, mix them with a vintage-inspired dress or tunic. There are brights colors, loud makeup, colorful patterns and leggings from the 80's. So for this upcoming season, girls, get your mother's, or even your grandmother's, old pictures and let inspiration come to you.

Bling bling! I graduated in 2007!

Written By: Superflykid2008 on 12/07/10 at 6:49 pm

Boo!!! It's all about 08!!! Lol!!! I'm 21 though...I just have a late birthday

Written By: Mat1991 on 12/07/10 at 9:01 pm

I was a sophomore at the time this article was written.

Written By: Brian06 on 12/07/10 at 9:21 pm

I was in high school from 2001-2005, I remember back then there was a lot of urban and punk inspired fashion though some late '00s fashion (skinny jeans, emo, more bright colors) was creeping in by senior year.

Written By: joeman on 12/08/10 at 8:37 am

The early 2000s was about hip-hop and nu-metal at my school.  We still had 90s leftovers such as Tommy Hilfiger-esqe Preppie look and Grunge music. 

I am still not sure how Emo got so popular, since MTV started playing Reality TV shows instead of music videos around that time.

Written By: Shiv on 12/08/10 at 10:39 am

I was in high school from 2005 to 2009. 05, 06, and 07 were still pretty grungey and Urban-inspired, at least in my area, but by 2008 the skinny jeans-and-neon look started taking over.

Written By: Shiv on 12/08/10 at 10:48 am

I am still not sure how Emo got so popular, since MTV started playing Reality TV shows instead of music videos around that time.

The 00s mainstream emo was really just an evolution of the 90s pop-punk Blink 182 sound, which was really popular.

Written By: JTCool on 12/08/10 at 7:58 pm

I entered high school in the latter half of 2007 and there were still a lot of people wearing those stripped polo American Eagle shirts but by the end of freshman year in early 2008 barely anyone was wearing that. Being in senior year now I have yet to see someone wear that to school. It's amazing to see how fast things can change.

Written By: Brian06 on 12/08/10 at 8:15 pm

I entered high school in the latter half of 2007 and there were still a lot of people wearing those stripped polo American Eagle shirts but by the end of freshman year in early 2008 barely anyone was wearing that. Being in senior year now I have yet to see someone wear that to school. It's amazing to see how fast things can change.

What do high schoolers wear these days?

Written By: JTCool on 12/08/10 at 9:58 pm

It really seems like a mix. Guys tend to wear just a simple shirt (usually from American Eagle, Hollister, etc.) and before shirts usually had a lot of writing/graphics on it but now it's a lot more basic. Girls and guys wear a lot of zip up sweatshirts or just basic sweaters. And a lot of skinny jeans for girls while guys wear pants that are less low cut and baggy.

Written By: Howard on 12/09/10 at 6:43 am

low cut or baggy jeans,t-shirts and basketball sneakers.

Check for new replies or respond here...