inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Music video games losing popularity

Written By: Shiv on 12/22/10 at 12:29 pm

Looks like Guitar Hero, Rock Band and their slew of clones are facing dramatically slipping sales.

http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2010/10/rock-band-3-power-gig-review/

http://pages.videojug.com/pages/15161-The-Death-of-the-Music-Game-

http://www.joystickdivision.com/2010/11/guitar_hero_and_tony_hawk_game.php

Why is this so? over-saturation? too expensive? was it just a short-lived fad (the first GH game came out in 2005, RB in 2007)?

Subject: Re: Music video games losing popularity

Written By: DJ Blaze on 12/22/10 at 1:18 pm

I think it started to go downhill when GH introduced the other instruments. Still yet, the only good music games in America nowadays are still GH and RB. And DDR.

Written By: whistledog on 12/22/10 at 2:23 pm

It may all relate to compatibility.  I have not tried, but apparently GH and RB drums and guitars are not compatible with each other.  You can use Guitar Hero guitar with Band Hero and Rock Revolution, but when you buy Rock Revolution, it comes with it's own set of  drums, so in the end, you end up with all these drum sets and guitars, which makes no sense.

1 set should be compatible with all games. 

Written By: DJ Blaze on 12/22/10 at 5:15 pm

It may all relate to compatibility.  I have not tried, but apparently GH and RB drums and guitars are not compatible with each other.  You can use Guitar Hero guitar with Band Hero and Rock Revolution, but when you buy Rock Revolution, it comes with it's own set of  drums, so in the end, you end up with all these drum sets and guitars, which makes no sense.

1 set should be compatible with all games. 

Amen, but I don't even consider Rock Revolution to be a game. It was that bad. Konami, why didn't you just give us a direct port of GuitarFreaks/DrumMania instead of a crappy Americanized version?!?!

Written By: yelimsexa on 12/23/10 at 11:07 am

I think it started to go downhill when GH introduced the other instruments. Still yet, the only good music games in America nowadays are still GH and RB. And DDR.

I hardly see as much popularity with Dance Dance Revolution as well, still found in a few arcades here and there but it seemed to peak roughly 2001-2006 or so.

Written By: DJ Blaze on 12/23/10 at 12:16 pm

I hardly see as much popularity with Dance Dance Revolution as well, still found in a few arcades here and there but it seemed to peak roughly 2001-2006 or so.

Yeah, it used to be big, but now it just seems to have died. I have no trouble getting on the machines nowadays, while back in around 2004 the machines were packed with huge crowds. I get decent crowds occasionally, but no one gets on the machine after I do.

Written By: whistledog on 12/23/10 at 4:03 pm

DDR is still out there.  They released a new one for WII and the first one ever for PS3

Amen, but I don't even consider Rock Revolution to be a game. It was that bad. Konami, why didn't you just give us a direct port of GuitarFreaks/DrumMania instead of a crappy Americanized version?!?!

Rock Revolution was very bad.  I bought it and sold it a week later.

Written By: DJ Blaze on 12/23/10 at 5:27 pm

DDR is still out there.  They released a new one for WII and the first one ever for PS3

I know, I really need the one for PS3.

Written By: whistledog on 12/23/10 at 9:32 pm

I know, I really need the one for PS3.

I wish i'd known they were making a PS3 one before I bought the new WII one , as I already got the mats with 360 (Universe 2) and WII (Hottest Party 3)

The new one for WII has all the same songs as the PS3 one.

Written By: DJ Blaze on 12/24/10 at 7:44 am

I wish i'd known they were making a PS3 one before I bought the new WII one , as I already got the mats with 360 (Universe 2) and WII (Hottest Party 3)

The new one for WII has all the same songs as the PS3 one.

Yeah, and the one for PS3 is supposed to have downloadable songs, but none have shown up so far...

Written By: DJ Blaze on 01/03/11 at 8:33 pm

I got Rock Band recently, and I must say it is good, but is nowhere near as good as the sequel.

Written By: whistledog on 01/06/11 at 8:41 pm

My favourite music game is 'Rolling Stone: Drum King' for the Nintendo Wii.  You use the Wii Remotes as drumsticks.  The game features known songs, but they are soundalikes, which isn't too bad.  The awesome part is you can use the Wiimote and nunchuck as drumsticks, or go the easier (wireless) route and just use two Wiimotes.  Rock on brutha! 8)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFYE1Gh0ybs

Written By: DJ Blaze on 01/07/11 at 5:42 pm

My favourite music game is 'Rolling Stone: Drum King' for the Nintendo Wii.  You use the Wii Remotes as drumsticks.  The game features known songs, but they are soundalikes, which isn't too bad.  The awesome part is you can use the Wiimote and nunchuck as drumsticks, or go the easier (wireless) route and just use two Wiimotes.  Rock on brutha! 8)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFYE1Gh0ybs

Looked at the songlist.... wow, it is the 3rd music game that I know of to have Pull Me Under by Dream Theater. (The other 2 are Guitar Hero World Tour and Rock Revolution, but the only one out of the 3 to have the original recording is Guitar Hero.) Epic song BTW.

Check for new replies or respond here...