inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: When did you switch from CDs to digital for music (iPod/pad/phone/streaming)

Written By: yelimsexa on 01/03/11 at 9:26 am

I said 2007. I was still using the radio a lot mixed with some online content (though downloads were slow with my computer), but I was burning CDs until then.

Subject: Re: When did you switch from CDs to digital for music (iPod/pad/phone/streaming)

Written By: Shiv on 01/03/11 at 10:08 am

For artists I really really like, i still get the actual CD (or LP, if its the same price or cheaper than the CD) because I like supporting the artist and like having the physical thing, and I don't mind paying as much. With stuff that Im just "eh" on, I download.

That being said, I don't really listen to my CDs much anymore, I usually just plug my ipod into the stereo (got my first ipod in late 2005 as a christmas present, I think...maybe early 2006). I still like having them though. I still listen to my vinyl because my turntable is old and so it doesn't have a USB.

Subject: Re: When did you switch from CDs to digital for music (iPod/pad/phone/streaming)

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/03/11 at 10:09 am

Definitely before 2000.

Written By: Starde on 01/03/11 at 1:58 pm

I'm pretty much the same as Shiv. I personally still prefer buying CDs than downloading MP3s, especially for artists that I like. I love being able to have a physical copy in my hand. I only download MP3s when I only like a few songs from an artist. I didn't really start downloading MP3s 'til I got my first iPod in the spring of 2007. Otherwise before then, I would always bring my CDs and CD player to school. I was probably the last person to do that when I was in high school.

Written By: Brian06 on 01/03/11 at 2:26 pm

I used to burn CDs regularly in the first half of the decade, back in the day in '02 I had a MP3 CD player and I could put like 150 songs on a CD. I first got an iPod in 2005 and hardly ever burn cds these days. Now I have a smartphone and use that for music and sold my old iPod video a while back.

Written By: Howard on 01/03/11 at 6:46 pm

I think it was definitely after 2001,I got my first cell phone.

Written By: ChuckyG on 01/03/11 at 7:16 pm

I started collecting around 1999 but didn't bother to rip my CD collection until 2000.  That's when I made the full switch and the collection just exploded.

Written By: JTCool on 01/03/11 at 8:05 pm

I still like buying cds for the most part. Although like most said I don't really listen to the cd a lot but just sync the songs to my I-Tunes. I've only bought a couple of digital songs and one digital album for charity. I think the reason I still buy the cds is because i'm a sucker for looking at the packaging and artwork that is in it.

Written By: DJ Blaze on 01/03/11 at 8:34 pm

My bro has an iPod, but he doesn't like half the stuff I listen to, so I'm still using CDs till I can get an iPod.

Written By: whistledog on 01/04/11 at 8:48 am

I download mp3s almost on a daily basis, but I never fully switched.  I will still buy CDs. 

I am anxiously awaiting the new White Lies CD.

Written By: bigdsketch on 01/07/11 at 12:01 am

I started downloading mp3s in late 2006, but most of my music became digital in late 2007 when i got my first mp3 player. Now, pretty much 85% of the music that i've gotten within the past year has been digital. I only really buy the actual cd if its cheaper than buying the whole mp3 album or if the album that i want is conveniently in the store that i'd be at atm

Written By: Midas on 01/07/11 at 12:29 am

I started downloading mp3s in 2003, but I burn most everything to CD.  I still listen to CDs in the car; predominanty continuous-mixed CDs that I put together.

Written By: nupur on 01/07/11 at 5:37 pm

In 2003, my family and I got our first iPod. The next year, for my 14th birthday, I got my own iPod. I haven't looked back since  8).

Written By: Howard on 01/07/11 at 6:51 pm

I don't have an Ipod yet,I'm still old school. :-[

Written By: bchris02 on 01/07/11 at 7:55 pm

I started the transition in 2004 but it wasn't fully completed until 2009 (I still burned cds to listen to in the car, etc).  Now I have an iphone which has all of my music so there isn't really a need for CDs anymore.

Written By: DizzMcMinyard on 01/07/11 at 8:25 pm

I remember seeing some mp3s players in High School around 2003, I thought man those are cool. However I still used a CD walkman at the time. I was saving money to live in Brazil for a year, which I did from 2004-2005. When I got back to the U.S.A. in May of 2005, my sister had bought an iPod mini. I was blown away. I'd never heard of the iPod till then. I immediately bought one myself. I still listened to CDs in my car as those FM transmitters were crap back then. In 2008 I got a new car that had an aux port for my mp3. 2010 was a big year for me though, as I discovered Pandora and got an iPhone. Combine those two things with a pinch of Youtube and I'm all digital all the time now, and I love it!

Written By: 80sfan on 01/10/11 at 6:15 am

I got my I-pod in 2007. It was a silver one.

Written By: Howard on 01/10/11 at 6:18 am

I got my I-pod in 2007. It was a silver one.

What kind of music do you have on it?

Written By: 80sfan on 01/10/11 at 6:29 am

What kind of music do you have on it?

Rock, VERY LITTLE rap and hip hop, dance, 80's, 90's adult contemporary.

Written By: tnf on 01/15/11 at 11:40 pm

I don't have any idea how much of the music I'm playing is digital. Because I still want to have all music I like on cd. Playing all my music (only) digitally feels cold to me, I'm and artwork lover, and I'm afraid of a computer and/or external hard disc crash.

I've got a mp3 player since 2004 but I'm not very addicted to it, and still listen a lot to fm radio in the bus or train. Because I think only playing music I already know is quite boring. But new and very important last year: My portable internet radio, to make discovering new/unknown music a lot easier. I like internet radio very much. So, beside my cds, I've listened also much music in a digital way, last year.

But more than 50 %? I don't know.

Check for new replies or respond here...