inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Why do people act like the early 2000s never existed?

Written By: nintieskid999 on 01/07/11 at 9:05 pm

As an 86er, it bothers me that people act like 2000-2002 never existed. It seems only 86ers and 87ers remember the early 2000s. Other people seem to think the 00s was all about Soulja Boy.

Subject: Re: Why do people act like the early 2000s never existed?

Written By: Shiv on 01/07/11 at 9:48 pm

As an 86er, it bothers me that people act like 2000-2002 never existed. It seems only 86ers and 87ers remember the early 2000s. Other people seem to think the 00s was all about Soulja Boy.

Because 2000-2002 was still similar to the late 90s. It gets lumped together with 1998 and 1999.

1998-2002 was its own distinct era. It was a weird transitional period from the 90s to the 00s.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 01/07/11 at 9:53 pm

Because 2000-2002 was still similar to the late 90s. It gets lumped together with 1998 and 1999.

1998-2002 was its own distinct era. It was a weird transitional period from the 90s to the 00s.

I agree it was its own era but people act like 00s teens were never teenagers in this period. As an 86er, this period of time was very influential to me but it seems like others never remember. They act as if my only teen experience has been Lil John and Soulja Boy (I was never a teen for Soulja Boy anyways).

Written By: DizzMcMinyard on 01/07/11 at 10:01 pm

Man, I loved the early 2000s! I don't think it was a continuation of the late 90s really. Some music yeah, but the Nu Metal stuff and early Avril was different stuff. Linkin Park, Evanescence, P.O.D., even Creed! C'mon now it was new stuff.
I loved it.

Written By: whistledog on 01/07/11 at 10:18 pm

That's because they didn't exist.  The world skipped that period like a time warp.  It's like it was never there at all.  NEVER!

Written By: joeman on 01/07/11 at 11:22 pm

I agree with you.  In the classic rock stations, they are now playing songs up to 2002, including Nickelback's song "You Remind Me."

Written By: Brian06 on 01/07/11 at 11:26 pm

I still listen to Ashanti, Destiny's Child, Linkin Park, J-Lo, Avril Lavigne, Pink, System of a Down, Alicia Keys, early Nickelback, Michelle Branch like it's 2002. I loved the pop rock then, so much better than Ke$ha. That was a good era.

I could listen to this over and over and not got bored lmao:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2aViAxK3SKU

Written By: bchris02 on 01/07/11 at 11:29 pm

Agree.  I was born in 1985 and the early '00s were the most influential time in my life.  Before emo, ringtone rap, facebook, myspace, ipods, heck even texting wasn't popular then.  2003 was the absolute best year of my life.  And yeah, it seems like that era has been pretty much forgotten.  The music and fashion influence of that era is also going by the wayside (Abercrombie & Fitch anyone?).

Much of it has to do with Millennial (Generation Y) culture being more associated with the trends of the mid-late '00s.  We (people born from 1983-1986) came of age in a time before our generational demographic did.  Perfect analogy is when people think of the '60s they think of the late '60s, which was the height of the hippie movement and the boomers' defining culture, yet there were baby boomers that came of age before the hippie movement, and they had their own distinct culture...and that culture is by and large ignored (does anybody talk about the early 1960s?).

Written By: Brian06 on 01/07/11 at 11:33 pm

Agree.  I was born in 1985 and the early '00s were the most influential time in my life.  Before emo, ringtone rap, facebook, myspace, ipods, heck even texting wasn't popular then.  2003 was the absolute best year of my life.  And yeah, it seems like that era has been pretty much forgotten.  The music and fashion influence of that era is also going by the wayside (Abercrombie & Fitch anyone?).

Much of it has to do with Millennial (Generation Y) culture being more associated with the trends of the mid-late '00s.  We (people born from 1983-1986) came of age in a time before our generational demographic did.  Perfect analogy is when people think of the '60s they think of the late '60s, which was the height of the hippie movement and the boomers' defining culture, yet there were baby boomers that came of age before the hippie movement, and they had their own distinct culture...and that culture is by and large ignored (does anybody talk about the early 1960s?).

So did us 87ers.  ::)

Written By: bchris02 on 01/07/11 at 11:54 pm

So did us 87ers.  ::)

What do you think the last graduating class was to identify more with the early '00s than the late '00s?

Written By: Brian06 on 01/08/11 at 12:14 am

What do you think the last graduating class was to identify more with the early '00s than the late '00s?

Umm 2007, maybe 2008 probably not later as the class of 09 spent pretty much their whole high school years in the late '00s. The "late '00s" came in after I graduated in 2005.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 01/08/11 at 12:49 am

I agree. That's one of the eras many people forget about. The early 60s tends to be grouped with the 50s and not with the 60s when someone pays attention to something from that time period. American Graffiti took place in 1962 but many people consider it to be a movie set in the 50s.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 01/08/11 at 12:52 am

I agree with you.  In the classic rock stations, they are now playing songs up to 2002, including Nickelback's song "You Remind Me."

Really? I'm a little surprised; the classic rock stations I listen to play mostly late 60s through early 80s music.

Written By: 80sfan on 01/08/11 at 12:57 am

The early 00's was an important time in my life; puberty!!  8)

2000-2002 will always be a big deal in my book because I was getting out of childhood. The rest of the world may forge the early 00's, but not me.

Written By: Brian06 on 01/08/11 at 1:00 am

Hopefully they stick with How You Remind Me and stay far far away from "Rockstar". Nickelback was actually a rock band back in the early '00s, before they became this sappy country pop band.

Written By: Mat1991 on 01/08/11 at 1:06 am

I spent my entire elementary school years in the early '00s (as well as the late '90s, but that's beside the point). It was quite a fun time for me.

I started junior high smack dab in the middle of the '00s (2004), which was pretty much the same time that late '90s culture was subsiding in favor of a more "crunk" culture. I was actually in the sixth grade when I started to notice hip-hop and crunk become real popular.

Written By: Milkof1996 on 01/08/11 at 8:32 am

The early 2000s was an awesome time for my childhood. My brother showed me the videogames, which I began to fell in love with when I was 4. Cartoons in general were much,much better back then, Don't get me wrong, The Mid 2000s did have some good cartoons, just not as much, and the late 2000s...terrible. In 2000-2002/3 most of the cartoons I saw where 90s cartoons, with a mix of a few 80s cartoons and older. I started noticing pop culture when I was 5 and 6, and I'm just realizing how different it was back then, than it is now.
Despite my father divorcing my mom in the early 2000s, I was really aware of it, until a couple years later, which shows I have awesome siblings for keeping me sheltered which kept my childhood great. It is ironic how the early 2000s was the best part of my childhood, while the mid 2000s comes second.

Written By: Kitkat1991 on 01/08/11 at 8:39 am

I really enjoyed the early 00s.  I was 9-11 years old  during 00-02. I enjoyed pop culture during that time.  I think 98-01 were the best times of my childhood.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 01/08/11 at 10:40 am

The early 2000s was an awesome time for my childhood. My brother showed me the videogames, which I began to fell in love with when I was 4. Cartoons in general were much,much better back then, Don't get me wrong, The Mid 2000s did have some good cartoons, just not as much, and the late 2000s...terrible. In 2000-2002/3 most of the cartoons I saw where 90s cartoons, with a mix of a few 80s cartoons and older. I started noticing pop culture when I was 5 and 6, and I'm just realizing how different it was back then, than it is now.
Despite my father divorcing my mom in the early 2000s, I was really aware of it, until a couple years later, which shows I have awesome siblings for keeping me sheltered which kept my childhood great. It is ironic how the early 2000s was the best part of my childhood, while the mid 2000s comes second.

I miss 1991 and 1992 a lot. They were great times in my childhood. Anyone who says you can't miss early childhood is crazy. What I miss most about this period is the music, especially the adult contemporary/pop, some of the rock ballads, and a couple country songs. Some of it seemed magical. Here are examples of songs I miss:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JN-vgjs__gk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrIiLvg58SY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRDKWPlip40

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLVV2TaI4Wo

Written By: Howard on 01/08/11 at 12:55 pm

^ I always thought that a group called Extreme would sing heavy metal or something loud but not a love song.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 01/08/11 at 1:20 pm

^ I always thought that a group called Extreme would sing heavy metal or something loud but not a love song.

Extreme was early 90s hair metal but that song was one of their love ballads. Ballads were common in many types of metal, especially when looking at late 80s/early 90s videos.  Here's a typical song of theirs:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-HQisG2Lv8

Written By: Howard on 01/08/11 at 1:41 pm

Extreme was early 90s hair metal but that song was one of their love ballads. Ballads were common in many types of metal, especially when looking at late 80s/early 90s videos.  Here's a typical song of theirs:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-HQisG2Lv8

Man,that is some good stuff.

Written By: sonikuu on 01/08/11 at 3:29 pm

Unlike most of the other people here, my views on the early 00s aren't quite so rosy.  2000 was totally awesome and a great year, one of the best of the 00s.  The first half of 2001 was decent, not great but decent.  The second half of 2001 and all of 2002 can go to hell though.  That was when I entered the wonderful years of junior high a.k.a. the worst years of my life.  The entire period from the second half of 2001 to the end of 2003 is a time that is VERY hard for to feel nostalgia for. 

That said, I do have some nostalgia for certain things, such as the video games, some of the movies (the Lord of the Rings movies are still among the best 00s movies), anime, and Adult Swim.  But the time period as a whole?  Oh, no way.  I've found that nostalgia is in some ways dependent on your personal view of events.  If your personal life was good during a year or time period, you're more likely to attach nostalgia to that time and to the pop culture from that time.  If your personal life is bad, you're less likely to attach nostalgia to that time or to the pop culture of that time.  That's why 2002 is a year I'll always have very little nostalgia for while 2010 will in all likelihood be a year I'll be nostalgic for like crazy in ten years.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 01/08/11 at 4:29 pm

Unlike most of the other people here, my views on the early 00s aren't quite so rosy.  2000 was totally awesome and a great year, one of the best of the 00s.  The first half of 2001 was decent, not great but decent.  The second half of 2001 and all of 2002 can go to hell though.  That was when I entered the wonderful years of junior high a.k.a. the worst years of my life.  The entire period from the second half of 2001 to the end of 2003 is a time that is VERY hard for to feel nostalgia for.  

That said, I do have some nostalgia for certain things, such as the video games, some of the movies (the Lord of the Rings movies are still among the best 00s movies), anime, and Adult Swim.  But the time period as a whole?  Oh, no way.  I've found that nostalgia is in some ways dependent on your personal view of events.  If your personal life was good during a year or time period, you're more likely to attach nostalgia to that time and to the pop culture from that time.  If your personal life is bad, you're less likely to attach nostalgia to that time or to the pop culture of that time.  That's why 2002 is a year I'll always have very little nostalgia for while 2010 will in all likelihood be a year I'll be nostalgic for like crazy in ten years.

My nostalgia is mostly related to TV shows and music during the time period, not the time itself. I'll be nostalgic for 2010 time period itself but not for the music at all except for some of the rock (which is actually pretty good). I tend to keep both types of nostalgia separated, except when it comes to childhood.

Written By: Creeder on 01/08/11 at 5:15 pm

Late 90's-early 2000s was a great era. Last time when rock was truly big. And the whole optimism of the new millenium and even the post-9/11 patriotic feeling in America. It all ended in 2003-2004...

Written By: bchris02 on 01/08/11 at 5:44 pm

Unlike most of the other people here, my views on the early 00s aren't quite so rosy.  2000 was totally awesome and a great year, one of the best of the 00s.  The first half of 2001 was decent, not great but decent.  The second half of 2001 and all of 2002 can go to hell though.  That was when I entered the wonderful years of junior high a.k.a. the worst years of my life.  The entire period from the second half of 2001 to the end of 2003 is a time that is VERY hard for to feel nostalgia for.  

The late '00s were an era from hell for me.  I graduated college in 2007 and landed a great job and had so many dreams for my life but by the end of 2009 I had been laid off from my first job, fired from my second, career completely destroyed, was displaced across the country, and was battling a drug addiction.  I doubt I'll ever feel nostalgia for that period, especially 2009.  

Written By: joeman on 01/08/11 at 8:07 pm

Late 90's-early 2000s was a great era. Last time when rock was truly big. And the whole optimism of the new millenium and even the post-9/11 patriotic feeling in America. It all ended in 2003-2004...

Written By: joeman on 01/08/11 at 8:11 pm

I miss the early 90s also.  However, 1990-1992 was a different era than the rest of the 90s.  They belonged more to the 80s.

I miss 1991 and 1992 a lot. They were great times in my childhood. Anyone who says you can't miss early childhood is crazy. What I miss most about this period is the music, especially the adult contemporary/pop, some of the rock ballads, and a couple country songs. Some of it seemed magical. Here are examples of songs I miss:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JN-vgjs__gk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrIiLvg58SY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRDKWPlip40

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLVV2TaI4Wo

Written By: nintieskid999 on 01/08/11 at 9:36 pm

I miss the early 90s also.  However, 1990-1992 was a different era than the rest of the 90s.  They belonged more to the 80s.

My take is that the early 90s had a lot of 80s influence, with 80s cartoons airing and 80s music (and 80s like songs) airing on the radio. Big hair and bright colors were also in. However, it wasn't exactly like the core 80s. When I picture the core 80s, I see this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6uEMOeDZsA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNKbHJ3PTu4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxLhytQ67fs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=be0mRpzdAT4&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdphvuyaV_I

Written By: Howard on 01/09/11 at 6:53 am

I miss the early 90s also.  However, 1990-1992 was a different era than the rest of the 90s.  They belonged more to the 80s.

Yes I agree with that.

Written By: Howard on 01/09/11 at 6:58 am

My take is that the early 90s had a lot of 80s influence, with 80s cartoons airing and 80s music (and 80s like songs) airing on the radio. Big hair and bright colors were also in. However, it wasn't exactly like the core 80s. When I picture the core 80s, I see this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6uEMOeDZsA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNKbHJ3PTu4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxLhytQ67fs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=be0mRpzdAT4&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdphvuyaV_I

Alright a time warp!  8)

Written By: bigdsketch on 01/09/11 at 9:56 pm

I'm starting to realize... doesn't it seem like ppl always associate the '0' through '2' years of a decade are always associated and/or included with the previous decade?

Written By: JTCool on 01/09/11 at 10:19 pm

Being born in 93, I think a lot of people that were young in the early 2000s still remember the music. I liked the singer-songwriter artists that were big then; Jason Mraz, Michelle Branch, Avril Lavigne, Norah Jones. Bands like Matchbox Twenty, 3 Doors Down were popular, and even the hip-hop music that was coming out then was pretty good. I think as time goes on the early 00s music that was forgotten will be remembered again. Right now I think people are still nostalgic about the 80s and are starting to get more nostaligic about the 90s.

Written By: tv on 01/10/11 at 4:36 pm

I'm starting to realize... doesn't it seem like ppl always associate the '0' through '2' years of a decade are always associated and/or included with the previous decade?
Yeah I think people remember the decades from "3" through the "7" or "8" years rather than the "0"- through"2" years with the decades of the 80's and 00's. The 70's and 90's are different animals when it comes to that. The actual 90's started in late 1991 with grunge music coming onto the scene. The 70's I'm not sure about because disco started to get big in 1976 or 1977. The first half of the 70's were actually like the 90's(late 1991-1996/1997) because "smooth R&B" and classic rock were big. Put grunge into the slot of classic rock!

Written By: RG1995 on 01/10/11 at 6:03 pm

Yeah I think people remember the decades from "3" through the "7" or "8" years rather than the "0"- through"2" years with the decades of the 80's and 00's. The 70's and 90's are different animals when it comes to that. The actual 90's started in late 1991 with grunge music coming onto the scene. The 70's I'm not sure about because disco started to get big in 1976 or 1977. The first half of the 70's were actually like the 90's(late 1991-1996/1997) because "smooth R&B" and classic rock were big. Put grunge into the slot of classic rock!
I can only hope the 10s get something like Grunge to switch around pop culture. Would be interesting and fun to see.

Written By: Milkof1996 on 01/10/11 at 8:02 pm

I can only hope the 10s get something like Grunge to switch around pop culture. Would be interesting and fun to see.

I would like to see indie music, though it would sound wierd if it did become mainstream, since it's supposed to be alternative music and all.

Written By: bchris02 on 01/10/11 at 8:26 pm

Was grunge that big in the mid-late 90s?  I always thought it died in 1994.  And about associating years with the previous decade, with the '00s its really the other way around.  '98-99 were more '00s than '00-02 were '90s.  This is getting into decadeology so I'll stop there.  I honestly think we should start looking at pop-culture history in eras rather than by decade, because unlike the '80s and the '00s, most decades don't have one uniform cultural theme from start to finish. 

The '60s started in Mayberry and ended at Woodstock.  The '90s was also a decade of constant change, with '90-92 still having an '80s yuppie feel to it, then becoming dark, cynical, and individualistic until around '98-'99 when it started to become more preppy, conformist, and uptight (though this didn't totally emerge until 2000 at the earliest).

It seems like in our history, culture alternates between conformity and individualism.  The early '00s were very conformist but the late '00s were more individualistic.  I doubt a performer like Lady Gaga could have been taken seriously back in 2002.

Written By: tv on 01/11/11 at 1:09 pm

Was grunge that big in the mid-late 90s?  I always thought it died in 1994.   And about associating years with the previous decade, with the '00s its really the other way around.  '98-99 were more '00s than '00-02 were '90s.  This is getting into decadeology so I'll stop there.  I honestly think we should start looking at pop-culture history in eras rather than by decade, because unlike the '80s and the '00s, most decades don't have one uniform cultural theme from start to finish. 

The '60s started in Mayberry and ended at Woodstock.  The '90s was also a decade of constant change, with '90-92 still having an '80s yuppie feel to it, then becoming dark, cynical, and individualistic until around '98-'99 when it started to become more preppy, conformist, and uptight (though this didn't totally emerge until 2000 at the earliest).

It seems like in our history, culture alternates between conformity and individualism.  The early '00s were very conformist but the late '00s were more individualistic.  I doubt a performer like Lady Gaga could have been taken seriously back in 2002.
Um about 1995 grunge was big still and in 1996 Grunge still had a presence but by 1997 it was over and post-grunge took over from there. I would say from late 1991-September or October 1996 grunge was popular a whole.

Written By: RG1995 on 01/11/11 at 7:46 pm

I'd say the early 00s had the best music too. Outkast was the best group of the 00s in my opinion.

Written By: bchris02 on 01/11/11 at 8:13 pm

I'd say the early 00s had the best music too. Outkast was the best group of the 00s in my opinion.

Ms Jackson was probably their best song during the '00s. 

Written By: RG1995 on 01/11/11 at 8:15 pm

Agreed. Definitly one of the best songs of the era

Written By: 80sfan on 01/12/11 at 2:38 am

2000/2001 was also the beginning of a dark era in my life.  :-\\

Written By: Howard on 01/12/11 at 6:27 am

Yes I liked that song too.

Written By: compudude86 on 01/13/11 at 1:25 pm

As an 86'er myself, I can see where you are coming from. it seems that the early 2000s were a transition of pop burning away, rock was coming back, and lots of spinoffs of rock and other mixed genres were taking over. plus I think war, political turmoil, the financial situation, and the like took over much like it seems to have in the transition point of the late 60s-early 70s.

Written By: compudude86 on 01/13/11 at 1:31 pm

I doubt a performer like Lady Gaga could have been taken seriously back in 2002.

She couldn't. She tried to use her own name back then, Stefani Germanotta, with her natural hair and face, and failed. Then came her "reinvention" as Lady Gaga with her wild costumes and hair and makeup later in the decade.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 01/14/11 at 1:22 pm

As an 86'er myself, I can see where you are coming from. it seems that the early 2000s were a transition of pop burning away, rock was coming back, and lots of spinoffs of rock and other mixed genres were taking over. plus I think war, political turmoil, the financial situation, and the like took over much like it seems to have in the transition point of the late 60s-early 70s.

Speaking of the late 60s and early 70s, I think this is really what people think of when they think of the 60s. They wouldn't think a song like this was made in the 60s:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGlUnzaFvGU

Written By: tv on 01/14/11 at 5:14 pm

She couldn't. She tried to use her own name back then, Stefani Germanotta, with her natural hair and face, and failed. Then came her "reinvention" as Lady Gaga with her wild costumes and hair and makeup later in the decade.
Yeah but Michelle Branch and Vanessa Carlton were popular in 2002 with no dye job with their hair. Of course Vanessa Carlton basically had 15 minutes of fame.

Written By: Howard on 01/14/11 at 7:12 pm

Speaking of the late 60s and early 70s, I think this is really what people think of when they think of the 60s. They wouldn't think a song like this was made in the 60s:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGlUnzaFvGU

The 60's were my parent's generation.

Written By: DizzMcMinyard on 01/14/11 at 9:40 pm

Yeah but Michelle Branch and Vanessa Carlton were popular in 2002 with no dye job with their hair. Of course Vanessa Carlton basically had 15 minutes of fame.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAoS7lk8gK8

Written By: nintieskid999 on 01/14/11 at 10:16 pm

The 60's were my parent's generation.

Cool. My parents were 70s teens born in the early 60s.

Written By: tnf on 01/15/11 at 12:47 am

"Why do people act like the early 2000s never existed?"

Drawn to the background because of 9-11?

On - or maybe a little bit óver - the edge of decadeology: Januari 2000 till August 2001 is a quite short period. And it seems to be sandwiched between the two surrounding eras. Partly because most people are strictly thinking of decades, instead of thinking of eras based on changing pop culture. Most people are thinking this way: there's 90-99 (like there was no late 90s influenced stuff anymore since Januari 2000...), the period 9-11 (crucial date) till 2009, and a kind of a vague no man's land between these two eras. "Oh... there was also 2000 and the first part of 2001, sorry... totally flushed from my brain."  

But in fact, 98-August 2001 is one era, pop culture wise. And I'm certainly not forgotten it, because a lot of my favorite music has been released in 2000/2001 --> there's more explanation at my site. 2002 also, by the way.

I also still remember the typical 2000/2001 internet style. With the pixel art, the 'Am I hot or not' type of sites hype, the flash overload (beautiful looking but hard to load and to use), the beginning of broad band internet becoming mainstream, the amount of animated gifs, all those primitive free hosted personal home pages (Fortunecity! Geocities! Tripod!) instead of Facebook/MySpace/etc. pages, and the first huge message boards. Maybe because I put my first own sites online exactly in that period, the first one came online Autumn 2000. On a free Tripod account with a super long url and made with Frontpage 2000, how nostalgic...

---------------------

Btw: The current Lady Gaga wouldn't have had success in 2002. Maybe the natural looking 'previous version' of her, if she had been old enough in 2002. The trend around 2002 was to look and sound natural (and credible). There was Goldfrapp (with singer Allison) in that period, also Moloko (with singer Roisin Murphy), possibly the most expressive looking popular singers back then. But compared to Lady Gaga, they still looked quite normal.

Written By: Creeder on 01/15/11 at 3:23 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAoS7lk8gK8

Classic 00's movie.

Written By: bchris02 on 01/15/11 at 5:31 pm

That is another style of pop that has almost completely disappeared from Top 40 radio.  When my local Kiss station plays something from the early '00s, its always hip hop like "Back That Thang Up" or "Country Grammar" or maybe an occasional NSync song, but many other pop artists of the time are nowhere to be found today.  Artists like Celene Dion fit this category as well (she was pretty big in the late '90s and early '00s).

Written By: tv on 01/15/11 at 6:02 pm

That is another style of pop that has almost completely disappeared from Top 40 radio.  When my local Kiss station plays something from the early '00s, its always hip hop like "Back That Thang Up" or "Country Grammar" or maybe an occasional NSync song, but many other pop artists of the time are nowhere to be found today.  Artists like Celene Dion fit this category as well (she was pretty big in the late '90s and early '00s).
Celine Dion was big for the whole decade of the 90's basically too.

Written By: 80sfan on 01/15/11 at 6:05 pm

She went away after about 2003 with that songs "A New Day Has Come".

Written By: Howard on 01/16/11 at 6:55 am

and also "My Heart Will Go On".

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/16/11 at 7:05 am

Which was 1998, before the early 2000s had started.

Written By: 80sfan on 01/16/11 at 11:56 am

That song was everywhere back when the movie Titanic came out.  ::)

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/16/11 at 11:57 am

I have seen the movie Titanic, but still refuse to watch the closing credits!

Written By: Howard on 01/16/11 at 12:21 pm

It was sort of annoying.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/16/11 at 12:22 pm

It was sort of annoying.
The film , the song or the singer?

Written By: Howard on 01/16/11 at 12:58 pm

The film , the song or the singer?

The song.

Written By: bchris02 on 01/16/11 at 5:19 pm

Which was 1998, before the early 2000s had started.

I agree Celine's peak was in the '90s but she had some pretty strong hits into the early '00s.  "That's The Way It Is", "A New Day Has Come", and "I Drove All Night" being the most notable. Does anybody remember if she got Top 40 airplay before "My Heart Will Go On" or was she pretty much an AC artist.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 01/16/11 at 9:38 pm

I agree Celine's peak was in the '90s but she had some pretty strong hits into the early '00s.  "That's The Way It Is", "A New Day Has Come", and "I Drove All Night" being the most notable. Does anybody remember if she got Top 40 airplay before "My Heart Will Go On" or was she pretty much an AC artist.

She did get airplay before then. I was only a kid then but I listened to a lot of radio in the 90s. Here are some songs that come to mind:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUTH1plKYhw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ees7VvZhFts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmR3_MyNBC4

Written By: Howard on 01/17/11 at 6:32 am

I remember "It's All Coming Back To Me".

Written By: Brian06 on 07/13/11 at 11:08 pm

Because they're old now (anything before 2005-2006 is), but not old enough to be retro or cool again. I mean there's a couple things that have survived the times, but most early '00s things are now uncool. Personally I liked the early '00s, the hip-hop and rock were better than in the late '00s I think. I actually thought Nickelback was pretty good in the early '00s, but their late '00s (like Rockstar) stuff mostly sucks...they got too country and I don't like country that much. Also someone like Avril Lavigne, loved her early '00s songs, her new stuff is just downright annoying. Also Linkin Park...far better in the early to mid '00s. Can't stand ringtone rap/emo so I didn't like the late '00s mostly. So I like 2000-2005, generally dislike late 2005-2008 (I liked Timbaland then though, Rihanna of course  ;), Kanye was decent too, and some r&b like Keyshia Cole) and the dance pop of today is ok but getting long in the tooth a bit. Really the last great music era for me was when Green Day, Kelly Clarkson, the Killers, Gwen Stefani, Mariah Carey were huge in late 2004-early 2005 and I miss that time a lot actually.

Written By: tnf on 07/17/11 at 11:46 am

< edit: deleted >

Written By: 00s_teen on 07/18/11 at 12:22 pm

Man, I loved the early 2000s! I don't think it was a continuation of the late 90s really. Some music yeah, but the Nu Metal stuff and early Avril was different stuff. Linkin Park, Evanescence, P.O.D., even Creed! C'mon now it was new stuff. I loved it.

I am an 88er and I miss it, too. It was so good. The early-to-mid 2000s (2001-2004) were the best years in my love I had so many friends. I've been depressed since early 2006, and have no friends since 2007! :\'(
I loved the way people dressed, it was so better than current fashions where (at least females in my area) women dress like w**res. They used to wear very little make-up in the early 2000s. Now they wear tons of make-up. Music in the early 2000s was so much better than late 00s/early 10s music. Even pop music was better and less cheesy than the 90s. Teen pop was no longer popular. I used to listen to then-current music and loved almost everything from then and I also listened to 80s music on VH1's "So 80s". It was just a simpler time. I wasn't addicted to the Internet and used to read magazines and used to go out more often. In the early/mid 2000s my life was still unaffected by chronic depression and social anxiety the way it is now. The only thing that makes me go on with my life are the lovely memories I have from 2001-2004.

Written By: SpaceHog on 07/23/11 at 12:11 am

Because the early 2000's ended on a single date: 9/11/2001. It could be said that 00/early part of 01 was an extension of the 90's, but I wouldn't know if that's decadeology.

-You still had boy bands like BBMak, 98 Degrees, N*SYNC, Backstreet Boys, and others.
-Most radio stations still played music from 96 onwards.
-Country pop was briefly getting into the spotlight with artists like Faith Hill and Leann Womack.

Written By: Foo Bar on 07/23/11 at 10:58 pm

Because the early 2000's ended on a single date: 9/11/2001.

I'll buy that.  We may have been overdue for a change in pop culture, and that was the excuse.  Speaking from the industrial-rock sub-section of the aisle, there were a hell of a lot of samples taken from the event, and in the ensuing years, several albums based on the resulting changes.  

It was fascinating to watch Trent Reznor change from some dude who started his career from angsting (albeit awesomely) about broken relationships and writing soundtracks for video games (in equally-awesome fashion) - into the genius behind the sublimely terrifying concept album Year Zero, and "getting" the Internet by throwing a similarly-surreal alternate-reality-game in with the album.  Even though it took him until 2007 to pull it off, it was worth the wait.  

The seeds were all there in back the 90s, but were only hinted at in the actual music -- within a few years of Year Zer9/11, nobody from the 90s industrial scene - be it KMFDM in 2003, or NIN and Ministry with their respective 2007 releases - was pulling any punches, especially when it came to politics.

Written By: tv on 07/25/11 at 12:00 pm

Because the early 2000's ended on a single date: 9/11/2001. It could be said that 00/early part of 01 was an extension of the 90's, but I wouldn't know if that's decadeology.

-You still had boy bands like BBMak, 98 Degrees, N*SYNC, Backstreet Boys, and others.
-Country pop was briefly getting into the spotlight with artists like Faith Hill and Leann Womack.
Yeah but N'Sync was still popular in 2002 with their album "Celebrity". I agree with you on the other musical acts that you put in on the list.

R&B acts like Faith Evans and Ginuwine were still very popular in 2002 and those 2 singers first debut in the mid 90's(1995 and 1996.)

Written By: darkooo on 07/26/11 at 4:16 pm

imo that was the end of the millennial era that began in 1996/97. early 00s went from just before 9/11 up to 2004 imo.

Written By: Creeder on 07/27/11 at 2:36 am

1997-2003 was the so called "millennial era".
Its neither true 90s or true 00s.
I like this era a lot. Great music, movies and styles.

Written By: Jesse D. on 09/14/11 at 10:57 am

Hey everyone, it's quite refreshing to read this thread. Born in 86, and the early 00's were easily some of the best years of my life. Now some may say, "Oh, that's because you were a teenager and didn't have real responsibility." But seriously, as a person, I recognize that I am much smarter with adult things, like taxes, bills, insurance, and all that crap, now compared to when I was younger...so I have a feeling of completeness...of being the responsible adult I always knew I would become and always wanted to be. The only thing that burns me up about being an adult is the ABSOLUTE HORRIBLE job market...seriously, If I could find a full time $9 an hour or more job I 'd be happy. I don't spend a lot so I could still pay my mortgage and survive on a small amount...but instead, I work two part time jobs with two revolving schedules, sometimes 6 or 7 days a week...ah, yes. I miss full time jobs in my area. 

That being said...With all that going on, there's just so much I don't find enjoyment from from the outside world. Popular music? No, Rihanna or Bieber for me. I'm good. Video games? No, I don't want to play your waste of your life World of Warcraft or HD shooter games that take 2,000 hrs. to beat. TV? A couple of shows on different channels, but reality TV needs to go die somewhere. Clothing...do I want to dress sort of like a rapper with a bunch of crap from the 80's horribly thrown in? Or like an emo nerd, who's possibly wearing flanne,l or like a member of Nickelback with a pair of jeans and a t-shirt that has a faded/ paint splattered logo on the front...no, no I don't.

For awhile, I thought I was the only one who really noticed this problem and complained about it. I can't tell you how many conversations I've had with my dad about this...the central theme being,"What the #@!* happened to culutre in the late 00's"?!!??

Let me break down...why I loved the early to mid 00's....

01'...Good music, P.O.D.'s Satelite, Pro wrestling was booming, and WCW and ECW closed...Toonami Adult Swim on Saturdays and after school...can't go wrong with it being 1 AM Sunday morning and you and your buds are up and Dragonball Z is on. Good video games that are about having fun...ps1, n64.

02'...Last great year for WWE, GREAT MUSIC...Audioslave, Evanescence, The Vines, The White Stripes, Andrew W.k. (LISTEN TO THE MADDEN 03' AND NHL 03' SOUNDTRACKS...THEY HAVE THE BEST SOUNDTRACKS BECAUSE THE MUSIC IN 02 WAS SO AWESOME!!!). Maxim magazine was great and not the frat boy loser mag it has become. It was a magazine for sophisticated and suave men. Good video games, xbox, Gamecube, PS2. Also, men's clothing was very nice and stylish.

03...Maxim gets lame, as some editors leave. WWE sort of dies this year to me...I'd put up with a lot of crap. But Steve Austin and the Rock pretty much disappear...Kane took off his mask and got lame, and the stories were just SOOO dumb. Overall, still a decent year and rock music was okay.

04...Still good music coming out, but not as awesome as 03- 02. I'll always remember hearing Hey Ya by Outkast and I believe in a thing called Love by the Darkness on the radio at this time. Even rap/R and B, whatever the name for it is, which I don't really care for, was better than it is now. Clothing still decent. And we had the second season of Chapelle's show...one of the best things ever on TV. Overall, this year gets the "Ahh, pretty good" rating from me.

05...The last good, but not great year. The last great year for people who actually play video games as a hobby, and who aren't a loser fan boy who takes everything too seriously, and not as a sport/way of life, clothing had not yet completely fallen into the crappy rap/ urban sub culture crap, and still some decent music...but crappy rap music started to leer it's head and kill rock. Yeah, so you have a nice car, $, and chicks? Now go write 100 songs about it, was the idea of rapper's at the time.

06....This is where stuff started to suck. "Okay, since we hit a wall in video games with graphics, we need to give people  a new reason (GIMMICK) to play...so you now have to shake the controller to play this new system," said Nintendo ...and since we all ready did the realistic 3d thing, we are now going to make graphics slightly better and make you buy a new system," Declared Sony and Microsoft. Yeah, so next gen gaming came along and I wasn't pleased at all. I was fine with xbox, gc, and ps2. Also, screamer emo crap rock started to come out. Still some good cds and songs, but I REALLY  started to distance myself from music. Clothing? The ghetto fade had taken over...no thanks. Also, South Park jumped the shark with it's 10th season and the G4 channel started to suck. It all started in early 06 when they aired that show about 20 somethings running a snow boarding lodge. They were becoming the D version of Spike Tv.

Also, the job market sucked here where I live (South eastern PA) and almost everyone I talked to had the feeling that something bad was going to happen soon in the US...Ahh, we were in for QUITE a surprise in 08, weren't we??? Surprise, no more jobs!!! HA HA HA...

07...yeah still sucked....I won't go any further here. We all know the future sucks. But seriously, 06 and 07...the only thing that made this year not suck is things like DRAWN TOGETHER and THE SHOWBIZ SHOW WITH DAVID SPADE were on tv.

So, it bothers me when people post online that a certain period in time sucked because of what was going on in their person life...EXAMPLE, " No, the early 00's sucked...parents getting divorced and I was in middle school." Yeah, okay... But talk about things objectively. Talk about what was going on in the world when discussing this stuff. Loved the stuff mentioned above, but honestly I was in High school up until 05' and yeah, high school sucked with the exception that you could be lazy and not do anything with your friends and then go lift weights next period. Then after you graduate, most of your friends never reciprocate your efforts to stay in touch.  So other than that, screw high school...AND THIS IS COMING FROM ONE OF THE POPULAR KIDS EVERY STUDENT AND TEACHER KNEW IN HIGH SCHOOL...NOT A MEMBER OF THE TRENCH COAT MAFIA.

MISS THE EARLY 00'S. One day, I hope I find things to enjoy in life from the outside world. But until taste and class return, that probably won't happen...I HATE LATE THE LATE 00'S TO PRESENT!!!!

Written By: Bobby on 09/17/11 at 3:37 am

Who acts like 2000-2002 never existed and why should you be emotionally affected by such apathy?

Written By: jesse D. on 09/18/11 at 12:48 am

Oh and I almost forgot to mention...2002....Adult Swim aired on Cartoon Network and it's first line up was it's best. Sealab 2021, The Brak Show, and the early Aqua Teen Hunger Force will always have a special place in my heart.

Even SNL was still very awesome in the early 00's.

And...the LAST funny season's of the Simpson's was season 12...which aired in 2002, or 03', I believe...but I think it's 02'.

THEN........FAST FORWARD A BUNCH OF YEARS.... Adult Swim has stuff like Tim and Eric on, (07') where it's not actually funny, it's just so stupid it's supposed to be funny...HA HA...NO!!!

And SNL had Tina Fey at the helm of things, and it was pretty much artsy intellectual crap...tried to watch but I couldn't do it. Now SNL seems like it may be getting back on track and future stars are actually being created from it again.

Written By: 1PlayerD on 09/18/11 at 8:39 am

Oh and I almost forgot to mention...2002....Adult Swim aired on Cartoon Network and it's first line up was it's best. Sealab 2021, The Brak Show, and the early Aqua Teen Hunger Force will always have a special place in my heart.

Even SNL was still very awesome in the early 00's.

And...the LAST funny season's of the Simpson's was season 12...which aired in 2002, or 03', I believe...but I think it's 02'.

THEN........FAST FORWARD A BUNCH OF YEARS.... Adult Swim has stuff like Tim and Eric on, (07') where it's not actually funny, it's just so stupid it's supposed to be funny...HA HA...NO!!!

And SNL had Tina Fey at the helm of things, and it was pretty much artsy intellectual crap...tried to watch but I couldn't do it. Now SNL seems like it may be getting back on track and future stars are actually being created from it again.

You can still see a few reruns late at night if you get lucky of some old show, but it rarely happens.

Written By: Jesse D. on 10/03/11 at 9:40 pm

Yeah, thank God for dvds of good shows and netflix...now I CAN Watch good SNL whenever I want to. But I also wanted to throw this out because SOULJA BOY was mentioned.

I was at wedding for 2 people my age, back in 09', and two friends of the groom did the soulja boy dance for the wedding couple. All the other young people at my table had that,"OMG!!! No way!!!" attitude while watching. I asked my girlfriend what it was and she explained it was some rapper I had never heard of and his dance to the song. So I sat there and watched two preppy white guys in ties and other dress attire do this dance with crooked hats and sunglasses on. It was such, that you could tell they had never worn their hats that way before. To see lunch ladies wear old wigs and play tennis rackets like guitars...like Simore Skinner, from the Simpsons, wanted the whole auditorium to stay and watch...would have been on par with what I was subjected to. To find out that people my own age thought this music was something great...well...a small part of me died inside seeing that.  ???

Also, the soulja boy song sounds like a bunch of crappy noises to me and the lyrics are crap. Seriously, go listen to Kiss, Rush, Run D.m.c., Aerosmith, Guns N' Roses, Journey, etc.

Written By: Bobby on 10/07/11 at 7:38 pm

I remember "It's All Coming Back To Me".

Celine Dion covered the song which was initially sung by a group called 'Pandora's Box'. It was difficult to find a clip that had decent audio and the original video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7iJxGRXA5hE

Written By: fredrickthe94guy on 10/15/11 at 7:43 am

best time ever!!! well culturally speaking... not globally speaking

early 00s and late 90s will be in revival i think by the end of this decade ;)

Written By: Creeder on 11/04/11 at 2:48 am

best time ever!!! well culturally speaking... not globally speaking

early 00s and late 90s will be in revival i think by the end of this decade ;)

Thats right.
Boy bands, nu metal, second wave post-grunge, pop punk and early Eminem & Britney will have a revival someday.  8)

Written By: fredrickthe94guy on 11/05/11 at 5:10 am

Thats right.
Boy bands, nu metal, second wave post-grunge, pop punk and early Eminem & Britney will have a revival someday.  8)

and i like every single genre that was out back then :)

britney spears use to be good back then :D

Written By: Shiv on 11/05/11 at 5:39 am

Thats right.

Nu Metal revival? Oh please God no...though sometimes I listen to Limp Bizkit's hits for nostalgia sake  ;D. They actually just released a new album, kinda sank without a trace though. Would have been a much better and lasting band without Durst.

Written By: Howard on 11/05/11 at 6:36 am

britney spears use to be good back then

"used to be"

Written By: fredrickthe94guy on 11/05/11 at 7:29 am

"used to be"

exactly my point....

Written By: Jesse D. on 11/21/11 at 10:19 pm

Umm 2007, maybe 2008 probably not later as the class of 09 spent pretty much their whole high school years in the late '00s. The "late '00s" came in after I graduated in 2005.

Very well said. I also believe 2005, when I graduated was the last class to have identified with the early 00's. It's funny because I remember one day in my senior year, the one substitute that was permanent at our school, but floated from class to class when needed, saying to me at the end of the day while waiting for the bell,"There's something different about the kids in next year's class and the ones coming into the high school. Your class  is the last one that seems in touch with reality."

Yeah, I remember cell phones started popping up in 05 when I was in school and tons of kids were getting them, but it wasn't as if it was a cultural norm then. So yeah, 06' Myspace, texting, and cell phones are all pretty much accepted parts of life now. Pretty much everyone had one at that point.

In a way, I like to sum up the early 00's vs. the late 00's this way...early 00's are like the Rock or Steve Austin...powerful, big, real stars.... Late 00's...John Cena... Okay by today's standards, but lame compared to what used to be around.

Written By: Howard on 11/22/11 at 6:20 am

Yeah, I remember cell phones started popping up in 05 when I was in school and tons of kids were getting them, but it wasn't as if it was a cultural norm then. So yeah, 06' Myspace, texting, and cell phones are all pretty much accepted parts of life now. Pretty much everyone had one at that point.

Now, just about everyone has a cell phone and now people text instead of talking to one another.

Written By: fredrickthe94guy on 11/22/11 at 4:41 pm

remember how back in the late 1990s and early 00s when people didn't act as if early 90s and late 80s existed :D and then now we have that revival

Written By: Howard on 11/22/11 at 7:34 pm

remember how back in the late 1990s and early 00s when people didn't act as if early 90s and late 80s existed :D and then now we have that revival

Then they'll be saying that 20 years from now.

Written By: fredrickthe94guy on 11/26/11 at 1:38 am

Then they'll be saying that 20 years from now.

you mean 10 years from now?? with late 1990s and early 00s

gosh best time ever!!!

Written By: Howard on 11/26/11 at 6:21 am

you mean 10 years from now?? with late 1990s and early 00s

gosh best time ever!!!

I think In My Opinion, the 80's were the best times.

Written By: bchris02 on 01/24/12 at 10:41 pm

Very well said. I also believe 2005, when I graduated was the last class to have identified with the early 00's. It's funny because I remember one day in my senior year, the one substitute that was permanent at our school, but floated from class to class when needed, saying to me at the end of the day while waiting for the bell,"There's something different about the kids in next year's class and the ones coming into the high school. Your class  is the last one that seems in touch with reality."

In a way, I like to sum up the early 00's vs. the late 00's this way...early 00's are like the Rock or Steve Austin...powerful, big, real stars.... Late 00's...John Cena... Okay by today's standards, but lame compared to what used to be around.

The late-00s in my opinion, in terms of music, started when hip-hop started to become more dance oriented which eventually gave way to electropop.  This started in late 2006 and was in full swing by 2008.

Written By: Howard on 01/25/12 at 6:15 am

The late-00s in my opinion, in terms of music, started when hip-hop started to become more dance oriented which eventually gave way to electropop.  This started in late 2006 and was in full swing by 2008.

and there was more rap too.

Written By: 00steen on 01/28/12 at 6:18 pm

I act and live like the late 00s and early 10s don't exist.
I'm only 24 but 2001-2004 was the best time in my life and I miss it.
I miss the cars, I miss the music.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/30/12 at 8:06 pm

Because we were heavily medicated with tranquilizers!
:-\\

Written By: Ashkicksass on 01/31/12 at 3:42 pm

I agree with you.  In the classic rock stations, they are now playing songs up to 2002, including Nickelback's song "You Remind Me."

Well that's just a little early.  ::)

Written By: Ashkicksass on 01/31/12 at 3:42 pm

I still listen to Ashanti, Destiny's Child, Linkin Park, J-Lo, Avril Lavigne, Pink, System of a Down, Alicia Keys, early Nickelback, Michelle Branch like it's 2002. I loved the pop rock then, so much better than Ke$ha. That was a good era.

I could listen to this over and over and not got bored lmao:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2aViAxK3SKU

Another post about Nickelback?!?  I thought that everyone agrees that they are irritating and suck!

Written By: zafs on 02/02/12 at 6:18 pm

I miss the early 00's (2001 - 2003)  so much! 
I wish I had a time machine to take me back :(

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/03/12 at 10:58 pm

I made no progress in life inthe00s.  I sincerely doubt I shall live to see the end of the 10s.

Written By: Jesse D. on 03/19/12 at 4:18 pm

I forget his name but it's the one using a picture of himself, yeah, everyone has a cell phone now. As comedian Hal Sparks asked in his one stand up special, "Does anyone know how to have a relationship anymore without texting?" You are right, we don't talk to each other like we used to.

Also, I fully agree with this:

"The late-00s in my opinion, in terms of music, started when hip-hop started to become more dance oriented which eventually gave way to electropop.  This started in late 2006 and was in full swing by 2008."

As a side note, I think I could over look the late 00's and not be think, "OMG, this sucks!" If it weren't for the economic turmoil facing the USA and many other countries. If jobs were still plenty and people could afford things I think It would not bother me as much. But because the problems are apparent and with us, I suffer from a lack of optimism  sometimes...mainly from reading a newspaper or watching the news. I know! IMAGINE THAT!

Written By: thenewtattoo on 03/23/12 at 4:32 pm

the early 2000s  2002 and 2003  aside from 2001  weren't that memorable
for anything

Written By: af2010 on 04/02/12 at 7:11 am

As an 87er I can relate to what you're saying.  It seems like people only associate the 2000s with later 2000s fads, most of which I was never really into (ringtone rap, emo, skinny jeans, etc).  It's not so much that people have forgotten the early 2000s, they usually just lump it with the late 90s, aka the "millenium era" (teen pop, nu metal, preppy fashion, etc.)

I associate that time (as well as the mid 00s) more with my "coming of age" than the late 00s-present which are more like my "young adult" years, and while it has also been an influental period, I was much more influenced and connected to the culture of the first half of the 00s.  I haven't really cared for pop culture since around 06-07, other than a few songs here and there; I really started losing interest after graduating high school, which is probably a common theme.

Written By: Brian06 on 04/04/12 at 11:57 pm

As an 87er I can relate to what you're saying.  It seems like people only associate the 2000s with later 2000s fads, most of which I was never really into (ringtone rap, emo, skinny jeans, etc).  It's not so much that people have forgotten the early 2000s, they usually just lump it with the late 90s, aka the "millenium era" (teen pop, nu metal, preppy fashion, etc.)

I associate that time (as well as the mid 00s) more with my "coming of age" than the late 00s-present which are more like my "young adult" years, and while it has also been an influental period, I was much more influenced and connected to the culture of the first half of the 00s.  I haven't really cared for pop culture since around 06-07, other than a few songs here and there; I really started losing interest after graduating high school, which is probably a common theme.

Yeah I'm your age I loved everything up till about 2005, then more spotty. I like mid '90s - mid '00s the most from what I remember and grew up with. Though I like 2012 a bit better than 2007, it's still pretty weak. I'm glad snap music and emo is gone, but today's music seems very immature and more generic. But there's a new generation out there with their own teen idols (Bieber, OneDirection) and their influence is only increasing, and people our age really are not the main audience of current top 40 anymore. It's funny how toned down and mature the mid '00s seem now, but people thought it was immature and flashy then? Crazy.

Written By: Rafael on 04/05/12 at 12:41 am

Yeah I'm your age I loved everything up till about 2005, then more spotty. I like mid '90s - mid '00s the most from what I remember and grew up with. Though I like 2012 a bit better than 2007, it's still pretty weak. I'm glad snap music and emo is gone, but today's music seems very immature and more generic. But there's a new generation out there with their own teen idols (Bieber, OneDirection) and their influence is only increasing, and people our age really are not the main audience of current top 40 anymore. It's funny how toned down and mature the mid '00s seem now, but people thought it was immature and flashy then? Crazy.

yeah,i had said that the 2010s would have a dark pop culture because the 2000s were bubblegum(at least were considered back then)

Written By: af2010 on 04/09/12 at 1:31 pm

Yeah it's kind of a strange feeling when you realize you're no longer the target of current youth culture (well a lot of it, at least).  I think a lot of the immaturity of today's pop culture probably stems from the fact that the target audience grew up with cell phones/social media/texting from a younger age so their attention span is shorter, and the music industry takes advantage with all the flashy/immature culture we see today.

Written By: Rafael on 04/09/12 at 6:00 pm

Yeah it's kind of a strange feeling when you realize you're no longer the target of current youth culture (well a lot of it, at least).  I think a lot of the immaturity of today's pop culture probably stems from the fact that the target audience grew up with cell phones/social media/texting from a younger age so their attention span is shorter, and the music industry takes advantage with all the flashy/immature culture we see today.

the Y pop culture was shorter than boomers(1964-1982) and X(1978-2002) only lasted 10 years old(1998-2008)
am 20 and i feel old

Written By: af2010 on 04/10/12 at 5:25 am

the Y pop culture was shorter than boomers(1964-1982) and X(1978-2002) only lasted 10 years old(1998-2008)
am 20 and i feel old

Eh, I'd say we're still at the tail end of Y culture.  Maybe YZ cusp culture if there is such a thing.  Pop stuff is generally geared towards teens (which are now YZ cuspers/older gen Zers), but that's just one genre, albeit the dominant one.  By the mid-late 2010s it'll probably all be aimed at gen Z, and gen Y's musical icons will be considered 'has-beens' or at least past their prime.  It's already happening with some of the early gen Y stars (Brittney Spears, Justin Timberlake, Jessica Simpson, etc.)

Written By: Rafael on 04/10/12 at 12:02 pm

Eh, I'd say we're still at the tail end of Y culture.  Maybe YZ cusp culture if there is such a thing.  Pop stuff is generally geared towards teens (which are now YZ cuspers/older gen Zers), but that's just one genre, albeit the dominant one.  By the mid-late 2010s it'll probably all be aimed at gen Z, and gen Y's musical icons will be considered 'has-beens' or at least past their prime.  It's already happening with some of the early gen Y stars (Brittney Spears, Justin Timberlake, Jessica Simpson, etc.)

the YZ cusp started in 2006/2007 with hannah montana,high school musical,icarly,bratz the movie but the overall pop culture was more Y than Z the music then were emo and snap rap (the last pure Y genres)
maybe we still in the YZ but today is more Z than Y in almost all aspects.

Written By: joeman on 04/11/12 at 10:02 pm

the YZ cusp started in 2006/2007 with hannah montana,high school musical,icarly,bratz the movie but the overall pop culture was more Y than Z the music then were emo and snap rap (the last pure Y genres)
maybe we still in the YZ but today is more Z than Y in almost all aspects.

I agree.  It is actually interesting a lot of mid 80s born people becoming huge actors/actresses, and they are shaping today's culture today.  Kids born in 2000+ seem like a different generation than me.  I know because I workout on the middle school track and see them a lot.

Check for new replies or respond here...