inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Does anybody else feel gypped by the 00's?

Written By: compudude86 on 01/13/11 at 6:49 am

I don't know what it is, but I feel like I have been gypped by the 00's. Not sure if it was just because I spent all of the 90's in elementary school, but it seemed the 90's had so much more to offer. I look back on the 90's, and there were more movers and shakers, people doing their own thing, people being happy and creative, movies were groundbreaking, music was hot, people were having a good time. The way the 00's were portrayed in foresight was a lot different than what it turned out to be.

some points to consider:

-We are copying other eras styles. The 80's have come back in style, along with the 90's, i've seen some 70's, I even saw a young (20s-30s?) guy dressed like a 50's dad walking around the store. One could claim that this is an act of adapting to the financial downturn, it partially is, but it was happening well before 2007.

-We are going back to our roots in TV and movies. We are seeing more reruns of the 90s on TV, towards the end of the 00's, we started to see a return to sitcoms, after the decade-long stint of reality shows that were cool for the first few years. We are seeing sequels to older movies. Cult followings of old TV shows and movies from the 80's-99 started forming.

A lot of what stands in the 00's has been taken from previous decades, and from my viewpoint (an opinion) it seems we didn't make any new movement except maybe green and recycled style.

Some other considerations:

-The 90's seemed to be filled with accomplishment. The internet. Video games. A bunch of groundbreaking movies and cult classics came out, a lot of TV shows were snagging awards left and right, kids played outside, playing street hockey, rollerblading, I spent some time at the roller rink, or pre-teen night at some chuck-e-cheeses knock off place, Now 6 and up kids are on Xbox, roller rinks are closing or closed 5 years ago, alot of activity places have closed. MTV was Music TeleVision, with a minimal of reality TV shows.

It would just seem the 00's were a very "stale" decade. It would appear that it was the most confusing and draining decade.

This is not meant to be a troll, or a flamewar. It is just a perspective, an opinion, meant to be thought provoking.

Subject: Re: Does anybody else feel gypped by the 00's?

Written By: yelimsexa on 01/13/11 at 6:59 am

I don't know what it is, but I feel like I have been gypped by the 00's. Not sure if it was just because I spent all of the 90's in elementary school, but it seemed the 90's had so much more to offer. I look back on the 90's, and there were more movers and shakers, people doing their own thing, people being happy and creative, movies were groundbreaking, music was hot, people were having a good time. The way the 00's were portrayed in foresight was a lot different than what it turned out to be.

some points to consider:

-We are copying other eras styles. The 80's have come back in style, along with the 90's, i've seen some 70's, I even saw a young (20s-30s?) guy dressed like a 50's dad walking around the store. One could claim that this is an act of adapting to the financial downturn, it partially is, but it was happening well before 2007.

-We are going back to our roots in TV and movies. We are seeing more reruns of the 90s on TV, towards the end of the 00's, we started to see a return to sitcoms, after the decade-long stint of reality shows that were cool for the first few years. We are seeing sequels to older movies. Cult followings of old TV shows and movies from the 80's-99 started forming.

A lot of what stands in the 00's has been taken from previous decades, and from my viewpoint (an opinion) it seems we didn't make any new movement except maybe green and recycled style.

-The 90's seemed to be filled with accomplishment. The internet. Video games. A bunch of groundbreaking movies and cult classics came out, a lot of TV shows were snagging awards left and right, kids played outside, playing street hockey, rollerblading, I spent some time at the roller rink, or pre-teen night at some chuck-e-cheeses knock off place, Now 6 and up kids are on Xbox, roller rinks are closing or closed 5 years ago, alot of activity places have closed. MTV was Music TeleVision, with a minimal of reality TV shows.

It would just seem the 00's were a very "stale" decade. It would appear that it was the most confusing and draining decade.

This is not meant to be a troll, or a flamewar. It is just a perspective, an opinion, meant to be thought provoking.

Even the "going green" movement had a direct connection with the enviornmental awareness movement of the early 1970s, just with some updated technology. The '00s basically had mobile technology and online social media not much else (unless if you consider a decline in social values progress). The "lost decade" thought will probably hang up well. But at least satellite radio/Youtube made nostalgia for previous decades more accessible.

Written By: whistledog on 01/13/11 at 10:30 am

I don't know what it is, but I feel like I have been gypped by the 00's.

Ask for your money back.

Written By: Shiv on 01/13/11 at 10:57 am

The 00s were bland because there were no big changes in fashion from the 90s (at least for the majority of the decade), and entertainment was all about playing it safe. That's probably the main thing I noticed about the entertainment of the 00s...maybe the were trying to compensate for downloading or something, but everything was just so "safe". Studios, networks, record companies, even video game companies were afraid of taking risks, so they just took bland lowest common denominator garbage and milked it to death.

And like you said, kids these days (haha I sound like an old guy... I'm only 19) are too busy playing Xbox and WoW to go outside or do anything that involves physical activity. My friends and I still play outside and stuff and we love it. To each his own I guess.

Also I don't see whats wrong with taking cues from past decades. If it hasn't been done in a while, whats the big deal?

Written By: compudude86 on 01/13/11 at 12:42 pm

Also I don't see whats wrong with taking cues from past decades. If it hasn't been done in a while, whats the big deal?

nothing at all is wrong with it, as almost all decades do it to a point. but it would seem like there was a lack of 00's style, it was just kind of a mixture of everyone elses styles because we never truly established a style of our own or if we did it was very slight that we didn't notice.

Written By: Howard on 01/13/11 at 7:06 pm

Ask for your money back.

;D

Written By: Howard on 01/13/11 at 7:08 pm

And like you said, kids these days (haha I sound like an old guy... I'm only 19) are too busy playing Xbox and WoW to go outside or do anything that involves physical activity. My friends and I still play outside and stuff and we love it. To each his own I guess.

Hey Shiv I'm going on 37 and still use a Playstation for games but I do work,come home and use my computer so during the day I do much physical activity.

Written By: tnf on 01/15/11 at 1:25 am

nothing at all is wrong with it, as almost all decades do it to a point. but it would seem like there was a lack of 00's style, it was just kind of a mixture of everyone elses styles because we never truly established a style of our own or if we did it was very slight that we didn't notice.

I've got the feeling a typical 00s style was created BY the mixture of already existing styles, especially in 2002-2005. Take something new and expensive, something new and cheap, something second hand, combine it all and combine it also with Uggs or similar shoes, and a typical signature 00s look will appear (for the girls). Often completed with (slanted) bangs. Many people were looking so-called individual, different and eclectic, and at the same time... the same. There is certainly a formula to look typical 00s!

http://www.wwzapper.com/2002-fashion.jpg
http://www.wwzapper.com/2003-fashion.jpg
http://www.wwzapper.com/2004-fashion.jpg
http://www.wwzapper.com/2005-fashion.jpg

Written By: Emman on 01/15/11 at 11:39 am

but it would seem like there was a lack of 00's style, it was just kind of a mixture of everyone elses styles because we never truly established a style of our own or if we did it was very slight that we didn't notice.

The 00's did have a stlye, it was a very dominant urban culture, hip-hop fashion, crunk, ringtone rap, all these things are definitely unique to the 00's(at least in the US). And who can forget about emo(although you can dispute it's originality).

Written By: MrCleveland on 01/19/11 at 9:16 pm

some points to consider:

This is NOT being a troll...if you want to be a troll, go to the DeviantArt forums, and I can show you some trolls that make you want to declare flamewars!

Yes, the 00's WERE bland, and it came down with this...9/11!

Yes...9/11, a time when Gen Y found out that their childhood days were done, like how Boomers felt when JFK got shot in 1963.

As a Gen Yer (Person born in the 80's) we had no big deal situation. We found out that peace was coming when the Berlin Wall fell and Soviet Russia disbanded.

I also see myself loving the life of the 60's, you can see some of that today like "Pirate Radio" or "Austin Powers". With TV going back to having shows from the 90's...try going back even further, like there's more Retro TV Stations out now like The Hub which not only play "Family Ties" and "The Wonder Years", but "Happy Days" and "Laverne and Shirley". Hallmark Channel even plays reruns of "I Love Lucy" which I actually like! TV Land does play shows from the 80's and 90's, but they're going back to playing old shows again such as "The Andy Griffith Show", "Bewitched", and "I Dream of Jeanie". WGN America plays shows such as "Beverly Hillbillies" and "Cheers". ABC Family still shows "Full House" and "Boy Meets World". And now many old TV Shows like "Dick van Dyke Show", "The Bob Newhart Show", and "Newhart" are on Hulu.com and there's TV Stations such as RTV, Me TV, and Antenna TV popping-up.

The Recycling/going green thing basically happened once the Cuyahoga River caught fire. It gave some writers from Cleveland to put those jokes on the air (I did research about that and yes...Pat McCormick and Jack Hanrahan were from Cleveland), but it gave America a wake-up call to proove that the earth is VERY fragile (And that American Indian PSA was filmed in San Francisco...one of the cleanest areas in the United States at the time).

Yeah, the 90's STILL had some "OOMPH" left in it with places to socialize and stuff, but now...you can't unless if it's a bar because we socialize by computer.

And back to TV...Stations in the 00's lost their identity. MTV played reality shows, Disney Channel plays stuff for the tweens and teens, Cartoon Network is playing Live-Action Shows, even The Weather Channel isn't what it used to be!

I think we'll see more nostalgia come back in the 2010's...even some greasers that look like Fonzie! 8)

Written By: DizzMcMinyard on 01/19/11 at 10:23 pm

I think the 00s was kind of a perfect storm of crap in some senses. There were good things obviously, but with 9/11, two recessions, two public wars, and a heated political rift offering the bad side, things seemed downhill. Interestingly if the majority of posters on this site were Chinese or Brazilian even, they'd call the 00s the best decade ever, considering they've been on such an economic roll. Pop culturally there were awesome movies, music, and yes even fashion in the 00s. I'm a gen-y guy and that makes me more jaded as my innocence was lost in the early 00s due to 9/11. The economy looked bright around 2005 to 2008 and there was a true feeling of hope and change for the good. Of course that all came crashing to the ground over the last two years for many. Interestingly this new anti-gov, jaded cultural mood to be found here in the U.S. will bring unexpected consequences, hopefully for the good. In other words when you hit bottom there is no where to go but up  8)

Written By: Howard on 01/20/11 at 6:37 am

I think we'll see more nostalgia come back in the 2010's...even some greasers that look like Fonzie

I'd love to see that.

Written By: 80sfan on 01/21/11 at 7:03 pm

I do feel gypped by the 00's because of the hard things that happened in my personal life during then. I want my $$ back!!  >:( >:(

Written By: Howard on 01/21/11 at 7:44 pm

I do feel gypped by the 00's because of the hard things that happened in my personal life during then. I want my $$ back!!  >:( >:(

You can't have your money back.

Written By: 80sfan on 01/21/11 at 7:50 pm

You can't have your money back.

:\'(

Written By: blackrose602 on 02/05/11 at 6:45 pm

The 00s were bland because there were no big changes in fashion from the 90s (at least for the majority of the decade), and entertainment was all about playing it safe. That's probably the main thing I noticed about the entertainment of the 00s...maybe the were trying to compensate for downloading or something, but everything was just so "safe". Studios, networks, record companies, even video game companies were afraid of taking risks, so they just took bland lowest common denominator garbage and milked it to death.

It's not just entertainment that was so "safe". It's society in general. Helicopter parents raising their kids in virtual bubbles. Smoking bans and helmet laws and anti-bullying legislation and the TSA. I'm not trying to start a debate on the relative merits or drawbacks of any of these things, but taken together I think they explain the overall blandness of the decade. It's hard for anyone to take big risks or be innovative or create anything meaningful in such a safety-oriented society. It's better for both cultural acceptance and financial gain to just invent a new cell phone or the 50th iteration of the same video game.

Yes, the 00's WERE bland, and it came down with this...9/11!

Yes...9/11, a time when Gen Y found out that their childhood days were done, like how Boomers felt when JFK got shot in 1963.

As a Gen Yer (Person born in the 80's) we had no big deal situation. We found out that peace was coming when the Berlin Wall fell and Soviet Russia disbanded.

Yep, exactly. I'm a Gen X/Gen Y cusp (born in 1976). I was too young to really be affected by the Cold War or the '80s recession. By the time I started paying much attention, Gorbachev was in power and everyone was talking about glasnost. I watched the collapse of the Soviet Union as a pre-teen and young teenager, and was swept up in the wave of hope and optimism. I came of age in the Clinton years, with a booming economy and a balanced budget. I think the 90s were a time of great creativity and risk-taking, because we already were "safe," or at least we thought we were. According to Maslow's hierarchy of needs, humans revert to the lowest level of unfulfilled needs. Safety is the second level, after basic physiological stuff like food and water. In the 90s, our culture overall was free to pursue higher order needs such as love, esteem and self-actualization.

Then 9/11 came...and suddenly we as a society weren't safe. It blew a hole in everything that we knew and understood about our world. Sure, bad things always happened--out there. Somewhere else. Not on our soil. Now they could happen to any of us, at any time, from any direction. So collectively, we tumbled down the needs hierarchy and we retreated...anybody do any traveling post-9/11? There were signs everywhere saying Thank You For Traveling. Suddenly just getting onto an airplane or walking into a crowded arena was a huge act of bravery. We as a society needed to feel safe...but with safety comes blandness.

I'm really hoping that we're collectively ready to burst out of our shells and start taking risks again. I think the 10s have a lot of potential.

Written By: Todd Pettingzoo on 02/05/11 at 7:46 pm

I think fashion in this decade was different from the late 90's. Not 80's-90's differenrt, but still noticebly different. A lot of it just took longer. I think it wasn't until around 2006/2007, where things really started changing.

When it comes to movies, though, If you compare movies from the late 90's to now, it's hard to a tell difference. You have to really pay attention to the cars and technology.

Most movies from the early 90's and a lot of mid 90's movies are very dated.

Check for new replies or respond here...