inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What subculture will the 2000s best be known for?

Written By: Mat1991 on 02/13/11 at 7:44 pm

The '50s had the beatniks. The '60s had the hippies. The '70s had the punks, and the '90s had the goths (I'm uncertain about the '80s). What subculture will the '00s be known for?

And before everybody jumps on the bandwagon and says "emo," let me remind you that there were lots of other subcultures present, like the skaters, the hipsters, and the scene kids. Which one do you think will go down in history as the subculture of the '00s?

Subject: Re: What subculture will the 2000s best be known for?

Written By: RG1995 on 02/13/11 at 9:45 pm

It was Emo. No doubt

Written By: bchris02 on 02/13/11 at 9:52 pm

Scene kids by far.

Scene culture was far more popular than true emo.  The two are so similar though they can really be lumped together.  Scene culture is the root of most of the fads in the late '00s.  The so-called "Bieber haircut" was called the scene cut a few years ago. 

Written By: joeman on 02/13/11 at 10:11 pm

Scene kids by far.

Scene culture was far more popular than true emo.  The two are so similar though they can really be lumped together.  Scene culture is the root of most of the fads in the late '00s.  The so-called "Bieber haircut" was called the scene cut a few years ago. 

Written By: Milkof1996 on 02/13/11 at 10:34 pm

It was Emo. No doubt

'Nuff said

Written By: Shiv on 02/13/11 at 10:39 pm

Emo/scene, definitely.

Also Hip-hop too, although I'm not sure that counts because it wasn't unique to the 00s, its been around since the 70s. But it definitely peaked in the 00s.

Written By: 80sfan on 02/13/11 at 11:00 pm

Yeah, I remember kids dressing as 'scene kids' at my highschool. I went to highschool from 2003 to 2007 and scene kids were definitely the most popular subculture, at least at my school!

Written By: Brian06 on 02/13/11 at 11:03 pm

The "punk/skater" look along with the urban/hip-hop look is what dominated in my high school, 2001-2005.

Written By: 80sfan on 02/13/11 at 11:07 pm

The "punk/skater" look along with the urban/hip-hop look is what dominated in my high school, 2001-2005.

Oh yeah, how could I forget the urban/hip-hop look? Lol.

Written By: Brian06 on 02/13/11 at 11:08 pm

Oh yeah, how could I forget the urban/hip-hop look? Lol.

I kinda wore it in 2003-2004 ROFL.

Written By: JTCool on 02/13/11 at 11:12 pm

I would say the skateboard subculture. In 2003 I remember seeing Avril Lavigne have that whole look going. But during middle school it seemed everyone had to have a skateboard. But baggy pants were also big (I guess that ties more into hip-hop culture), I know that's more of 90s things but at my middle school at least all you saw was guys with their pants hanging down and boxers showing. And it was 2006-07! Maybe it was just my school?

Written By: sonikuu on 02/16/11 at 2:02 am

Does Hip-Hop count as a subculture?  It was certainly the defining trend of the 00s, though it may have been too popular to be really be a subculture ("sub" being the keyword here). 

If it counts, then Hip-Hop.  If not, then Emo.  Back in junior high (2001-2004 for me, 9th grade classes were at junior high here, evidently that isn't normal apparently), Goths and Skaters were quite prominent too (well, Goths were fairly few in number, though they stood out for obvious reasons), though most of them either disappeared or incorporated Emo elements during my mid-00s high school years.

Written By: fredrickthe94guy on 02/27/11 at 5:09 am

haha i experienced all of the 00s clearly

let me clear it out

goth, punk, pulpy was a standout in the early 00s

scene and emo's was The thing of the 00s

hip hop is at its peak in throughout 00s

hipster, and current pop style dominated the late 00s

so that means there are 3 stand out of the 00s

hip hopers, emos, and scenes

which one was more defining and have more impact... 3 of them all are heavy contestant... but scene is the "subcultre" of the 00s

its seems like the reflection of the 80s whatever you call the 80s subcultre as 80s have so many subcultures too :p

Written By: Davester on 02/28/11 at 8:00 pm

Can someone please explain the "scene" subculture?  I'm intrigued...

Written By: fredrickthe94guy on 02/28/11 at 8:29 pm

Can someone please explain the "scene" subculture?  I'm intrigued...

its like emo as they dressed quite similarly but more positive aspect sort of way and somewhat vigilantly rebelious

Written By: Mat1991 on 02/28/11 at 9:45 pm

Can someone please explain the "scene" subculture?  I'm intrigued...

It's a style that's somewhat related to the emo fad. People within the scene subculture basically have wild, messy hair with lots of extensions, weaves, and coloring; lots of makeup; and colorful, '80s-inspired clothing.

Just search "scene kids" in Google Images and you'll get an idea.

Written By: RG1995 on 02/28/11 at 9:48 pm

Emo/Scene is pretty much extinct at this point. Thank god...  :D

Written By: Howard on 03/01/11 at 6:19 am

http://fashionmission.edublogs.org/files/2009/11/scene-kids-hair-330x440.jpg

My God,they look like Bratz dolls.  :o

Written By: fredrickthe94guy on 03/02/11 at 4:59 am

http://fashionmission.edublogs.org/files/2009/11/scene-kids-hair-330x440.jpg

My God,they look like Bratz dolls.  :o

umm bratz doll was inspired from this subcultre lol :D :D

Written By: Howard on 03/02/11 at 6:33 am

umm bratz doll was inspired from this subcultre lol :D :D

So they're supposed to look like teenage hookers?  ::)

Written By: 80sfan on 03/02/11 at 3:53 pm

So they're supposed to look like teenage hookers?  ::)

That's the 00s for ya!  ::)

Written By: Howard on 03/02/11 at 7:25 pm

That's the 00s for ya!  ::)

It's like the girls who dress like that it's like they want to be raped.  ::)

Written By: 80sfan on 03/02/11 at 7:26 pm

It's like the girls who dress like that it's like they want to be raped.  ::)

It's disturbing and I'm glad it was only a trend. I don't see girls dress like that often anymore; at least I think so.

Written By: Howard on 03/02/11 at 8:06 pm

It's disturbing and I'm glad it was only a trend. I don't see girls dress like that often anymore; at least I think so.

In New York,not much.

Written By: tv on 03/03/11 at 5:32 pm

In New York,not much.
Yeah what was in style in NYC fashion wise from late 2005-mid 2008 since the hip-hop scene shifted to the southeast US in late 2005?

Written By: Howard on 03/04/11 at 6:40 am

Yeah what was in style in NYC fashion wise from late 2005-mid 2008 since the hip-hop scene shifted to the southeast US in late 2005?

I guess more girls are dressing more appropriately.

Written By: Davester on 03/04/11 at 10:52 pm

It's a style that's somewhat related to the emo fad. People within the scene subculture basically have wild, messy hair with lots of extensions, weaves, and coloring; lots of makeup; and colorful, '80s-inspired clothing.

Just search "scene kids" in Google Images and you'll get an idea.

Apparently scene culture has more to do with fashion without any particular credo or philosophy...

Written By: tv on 03/05/11 at 4:36 pm

Yeah I saw a girl in 1999 outside a strip mall I think she was like 6 she was not wearing much trying to emulate Britney I guess. Britney had only been on the music for like 2-3 and a half months at that point.

Written By: 80sfan on 03/05/11 at 4:48 pm

Yeah I saw a girl in 1999 outside a strip mall I think she was like 6 she was not wearing much trying to emulate Britney I guess. Britney had only been on the music for like 2-3 and a half months at that point.

I think girls started dressing like that about 1998 or so.
I bet teenage girls' parents are glad that era is over! Lol.

I'd say by 2007 or 2008 girls started showing less 'skin' and by 2009 it seemed most girls were pretty covered up!

Written By: Howard on 03/05/11 at 7:12 pm

I think girls started dressing like that about 1998 or so.
I bet teenage girls' parents are glad that era is over! Lol.

I'd say by 2007 or 2008 girls started showing less 'skin' and by 2009 it seemed most girls were pretty covered up!

I think girls in today's world want sex to sell cause that's what men want,on the street and on the billboards.

Written By: 80sfan on 03/05/11 at 7:23 pm

I think girls in today's world want sex to sell cause that's what men want,on the street and on the billboards.

Yeah, especially popstars. Just look at Gaga, Katy Perry, Rihana, etc.

Written By: Howard on 03/05/11 at 7:54 pm

Yeah, especially popstars. Just look at Gaga, Katy Perry, Rihana, etc.

Men drool over that.

Written By: tv on 03/07/11 at 6:32 pm

Well the music industry couldn't sell goody-too shoe pop singers like Debbie Gibson, and Tiffany in the late 80's for a long period of time. I guess the record execs the next time that teen-pop trend became popular in 1999 made Britney a sex symbol so they could have more longevity. I remember Christina being the girl next door when she first came out and than she saw Britney getting so much attention so she decided to wear less and less. I remember thinking even as a 19 year old what Britney is doing is acting much older than her age with her sexy image.

Written By: Howard on 03/08/11 at 6:40 am

Well the music industry couldn't sell goody-too shoe pop singers like Debbie Gibson, and Tiffany in the late 80's for a long period of time. I guess the record execs the next time that teen-pop trend became popular in 1999 made Britney a sex symbol so they could have more longevity. I remember Christina being the girl next door when she first came out and than she saw Britney getting so much attention so she decided to wear less and less. I remember thinking even as a 19 year old what Britney is doing is acting much older than her age with her sexy image.

That's why,Guys want a sexy image to sell in women.

Written By: 80sfan on 03/08/11 at 9:02 pm

Definitely emo will be one of the most remembered subcultures of the 00s.  :D

Written By: youngerderek on 04/05/11 at 4:13 am

Scene kids by far.

definitely. i see emo more as a bridge between 90's Goth (which was popular probably as late as 2003) and Scene which is still very alive now, though perhaps a teeny bit less than in 2008.

Written By: eregisterMeBro on 04/19/11 at 2:57 am

I have to say emo/scene/hip-hop. But I don't think any scene of the past 20 years will ever hold a candle to the popularity of hippies and punk, and grunge was just a flash in the pan. Also goth for 90s? Goth was developing from around the early 80s but didn't really get exposure until the 90s. It was an offshoot of post-punk like Siouxse and The Banshees, Joy Division, Bauhaus, and other bands until it took on a life of it's own to make Goth rock and the goth scene.

I would have to say, the 90s was a little more defined bay a split of Grunge(early and swift), Goth(spanded out), and Rave culture(miid-late and currently seeing a revival).

But yes, the 00s will be defined by the emo, scene, and hip-hop.

Check for new replies or respond here...