inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Can anyone tell me about kid culture in the mid and late 2000s?

Written By: nintieskid999 on 03/03/11 at 6:36 pm

I can understand early 00s childhood from 2000-2003 but the rest I have no idea. Can anyone tell me what it was like being a kid in the mid and late 2000s? What music did kids listen to at the time? What toys were popular?

Subject: Re: Can anyone tell me about kid culture in the mid and late 2000s?

Written By: Mat1991 on 03/03/11 at 9:37 pm

I have a ten-year-old sister, so I can understand a little about kid culture today.

For one thing, my sister has told us about how everybody in her class had a cell phone, which was why she thought she needed one. She currently has a cell phone, with which she texts us and her friends. I find that amusing, because I didn't get my first cell phone until I was about fourteen or fifteen years old.

My sister also enjoys Disney Channel and Nickelodeon. She likes shows like iCarly and she likes contemporary musicians such as Justin Bieber, Bruno Mars, and Katy Perry.

I don't think anybody on this forum will be able to answer your question from their own experience, unless they're about fourteen years old or younger, and I don't think there's that many people on this forum within that age range, if there are any at all. Some of us who have younger siblings or kids of our own might be able to answer your question, but that would be based solely on observance. I certainly hope I helped.

Written By: 80sfan on 03/03/11 at 10:01 pm

My 8 year old niece is 8 and was born in 2002 so she is an 00s/early 10s kid!

Hannah Montana WAS huge for girls her age from about 2006-2009. By 2010 her interest in Miley started to fizzle because Miley was having a more adult image that she couldn't relate to.
My niece also wants a cellphone.....BADLY!! Even when I was a kid in the 90s, no 8 year old kid wanted a cell phone yet because it just wasn't 'hip' yet to want one.
I see that the 00s kids are very technologically interested and technologically able to figure things out with computers, Facebook, internet, videogames, etc. I think it's because it seeped into their unconscious since conception and it's all the've known.

Written By: popguru85 on 03/03/11 at 11:16 pm

My half sister on my dads side of the family was born in 2002. her interests were spongebob and Hannah Montana. She watched a lot of Nickelodeon and Cartoon Network. by the time she was about 5, I had moved out so cant really give too much detail.

Written By: karen on 03/08/11 at 2:36 pm

I can understand early 00s childhood from 2000-2003 but the rest I have no idea. Can anyone tell me what it was like being a kid in the mid and late 2000s? What music did kids listen to at the time? What toys were popular?

My son was born in 2002.

Toys he liked/likes include Lego (Mars Mission), K'Nex and Bakugon (spelling?).  Plus the usual board games etc.  He also plays Wii Sports, Ravin Rabbits etc., and has a DS

For TV he went from the usual preschool stuff like Tweenies, Big Cook Little Cook, via Scooby Doo and other cartoons to watching Top Gear and The Gadget Show.

For music he was mainly influenced by the music we listen to so he likes a lot of soft rock (The Eagles, Queen, etc.)  He also likes Black-eyed Peas and has just started to listen to a chart show.  This morning he was singing along to Katy Perry and then Cee Lo Green.

He has no interest in getting a mobile phone - they are not that common amongst his age group here in the UK.  He uses the computer for games and has talked a little about wanting a Kindle or Nook (he reads a lot)

Written By: JTCool on 03/08/11 at 4:18 pm

Haha I'm 18 and feel old since I can't completely answer this question. The mid-00s (I'm guessing your thinking from around 2004-06/07) songs by Kelly Clarkson, Fall Out Boy, Nickelback, and rap/hip-hop music was popular even for us in middle school. Everyone wore  stripped American Eagle shirts with collars to school. Most people my age got cell-phones at around 12 or 13. My classmates never really liked Hannah Montana, although by 2007 we had all heard of her and thought why kids younger than us were freaking out over her. My younger sister liked the Jonas Brothers (this is more late 00s though) and High School Musical. That wing haircurt was worn by pretty much every guy in our school. Although now it's almost the opposite, most guys are shaving their head or getting weird buzz cuts.

Written By: Shiv on 03/09/11 at 10:21 am

That wing haircurt was worn by pretty much every guy in our school. Although now it's almost the opposite, most guys are shaving their head or getting weird buzz cuts.

I've noticed this too. The wing hairstyle was really big when I was in high school, I always tried to get my hair to do that but couldn't, it's just too straight  :D....but now I rarely see it. Personally I don't like buzz cuts

Written By: fredrickthe94guy on 03/13/11 at 7:08 am

well the toys that are popular are those bratz and pumpkin patchs babies... idk... that robotic toy thingy and definitely nintendo wii, ps3, xbox 360...legos are actually good these days....and ack in late 00s... i dont know much i was too old for it

and i first have my cell phone was when i was 9/10 ish... its that mono colour and tone nokia before 6 month later its polytone and coloured screen...

its all becoming too weird for me past 2005 even though i wasnt officially teenager until 2007 i cant relate to kids culture anymore since then.

i didn even joined facebook until jan 2009.... myspace and bebo was overrated for me :p

Written By: Mat1991 on 03/13/11 at 6:21 pm

I've noticed this too. The wing hairstyle was really big when I was in high school, I always tried to get my hair to do that but couldn't, it's just too straight  :D....but now I rarely see it. Personally I don't like buzz cuts

Speak for yourself. I much prefer buzz cuts over the wing cut. In fact, I'm wearing the buzz cut right now.  ;D

Written By: Howard on 03/14/11 at 6:41 am

Speak for yourself. I much prefer buzz cuts over the wing cut. In fact, I'm wearing the buzz cut right now.  ;D

Buzz cuts are too 80's or was that buzzcuts with a tail in the back?  ???

Written By: Shiv on 03/14/11 at 11:20 am

Buzz cuts are too 80's or was that buzzcuts with a tail in the back?  ???

I thought hair with a lot of volume was popular in the 80s?

Written By: Howard on 03/14/11 at 12:41 pm

I thought hair with a lot of volume was popular in the 80s?

It was too,I was referring to the time when I had a tail in the back of my head during the late 80's (1988,1989) with a crewcut.

Written By: nupur on 03/25/11 at 11:45 pm

Wow, this thread makes me feel so old even though I'm not THAT old haha. I was born in 1990, so I have no idea about kid culture in the mid/late 00s. Personally, I didn't get my first cell phone until I was 16 or 17 (yikes!) That seems so late these days. I know 10 year olds with cell phones now. I have a hard time imagining that kids these days have no idea what the world was like before internet, and even computers in general, became so integral to our lives. Also, I feel like toys were way cooler in the mid/late 00s than they were in the 90's.

Written By: BABYgirlXX on 03/27/11 at 6:19 pm

i feel like being a kid in the late 2000s would be totally different than in the early 2000s.
for example, i was 8 in the year 2000. back then i only logged on to the computer maybe twice or three times a week, and it was a time consuming and patience-testing experience. The way we socialized was mostly via phone or real-life. Kids in the early 2000s were born into a disconnected world and throughout the decade witnessed unprecedented technological and social change. I am an adult now, and i can say that during the 2000s there was a point when i felt like everything suddenly became different. Imo, i dont think kids today will ever know what that feels like. Back then when you were bored you would go see what other kids were up to around the neighborhood, now i guess you can just text them.

Written By: yelimsexa on 03/28/11 at 6:41 am

i feel like being a kid in the late 2000s would be totally different than in the early 2000s.
for example, i was 8 in the year 2000. back then i only logged on to the computer maybe twice or three times a week, and it was a time consuming and patience-testing experience. The way we socialized was mostly via phone or real-life. Kids in the early 2000s were born into a disconnected world and throughout the decade witnessed unprecedented technological and social change. I am an adult now, and i can say that during the 2000s there was a point when i felt like everything suddenly became different. Imo, i dont think kids today will ever know what that feels like. Back then when you were bored you would go see what other kids were up to around the neighborhood, now i guess you can just text them.

Actually, I feel that the transition to this began in earnest around 1995 and not the 2000s as that when cellphones/Internet pretty much became mainstream almost overnight rather than just being a geeky novelty. Video Games were around in the '80s and early '90s as well which to me was the beginning of the end of face-to-face socializing as well, along with kid-friendly Nickelodeon making children's TV a 24-hour thing rather than just a morning thing on PBS/Saturday morning cartoons. You have to go back to the '70s to find the reall "face-to-face kid culture" of playing outdoor sports and some board games and mechanical toys, which is sadly now over 30 years ago. As of 2010, 80% of children by the time they reach 5 now use the Internet! As Generation Y is about to/already starting to raise their families (I feel like we're now on the cusp of Z/Generation Alpha in terms of the newborn babies), they need to try to look back and teach children some COMMON SENSE and not succumb to the man vs. machine debacle.

Written By: joeman on 03/28/11 at 7:22 am

Actually, I feel that the transition to this began in earnest around 1995 and not the 2000s as that when cellphones/Internet pretty much became mainstream almost overnight rather than just being a geeky novelty. Video Games were around in the '80s and early '90s as well which to me was the beginning of the end of face-to-face socializing as well, along with kid-friendly Nickelodeon making children's TV a 24-hour thing rather than just a morning thing on PBS/Saturday morning cartoons. You have to go back to the '70s to find the reall "face-to-face kid culture" of playing outdoor sports and some board games and mechanical toys, which is sadly now over 30 years ago. As of 2010, 80% of children by the time they reach 5 now use the Internet! As Generation Y is about to/already starting to raise their families (I feel like we're now on the cusp of Z/Generation Alpha in terms of the newborn babies), they need to try to look back and teach children some COMMON SENSE and not succumb to the man vs. machine debacle.

I gotta agree here.  No one used a computer or knew how to operate them in the early 90s.  In the late 90s, kids and young adults knew how to use a computer, but there were also adults who were dumbfounded on them, and hence their children teaching them a thing or too about it.  Reminds me of a later episode of Full House where Jesse accidently erased all his stuff on the computer and Stephanie ended up bringing it all back like it was nothing.

Written By: RG1995 on 03/28/11 at 4:37 pm

Heh....typical "all kids today don't know how to interact. they only know how to use a computer and watch tv". So wrong. Maybe 1995ers are too old? IDK. I hate when people act like we don't do anything.

Written By: Howard on 03/29/11 at 6:33 am

Heh....typical "all kids today don't know how to interact. they only know how to use a computer and watch tv". So wrong. Maybe 1995ers are too old? IDK. I hate when people act like we don't do anything.

today's kids are all about watching TV,facebook,twitter,PSP's,youtube and texting.

Written By: RG1995 on 03/29/11 at 7:10 pm

today's kids are all about watching TV,facebook,twitter,PSP's,youtube and texting.
People act as though they refuse to go outside at all...

Written By: Howard on 03/29/11 at 7:28 pm

I know RG whatever happened to face to face talking,Did that phase out?  ???

Written By: fredrickthe94guy on 03/30/11 at 5:47 am

they're not bad they just happen to experience more stuff than we do when we were a kid (not so long ago :D)

they are more aware of everything than ever however in contrasting that... they are more compulsive and multitasker than ever

in saying that now i feel old :p i want my childhood culture back!!!

Written By: youngerderek on 03/31/11 at 1:24 pm

yeah, it's pretty ridiculous. that's like saying back in the 80s Gen X refused to go outside because of TV. no technology will ever make going outdoors obsolete. i still see kids playing outside all the time. hasn't changed.

Written By: Howard on 03/31/11 at 7:20 pm

yeah, it's pretty ridiculous. that's like saying back in the 80s Gen X refused to go outside because of TV. no technology will ever make going outdoors obsolete. i still see kids playing outside all the time. hasn't changed.

There are more things to do outside than inside.

Check for new replies or respond here...