inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Any other 2000s teens like this?

Written By: nintieskid999 on 03/19/11 at 1:14 am

I was born in late 86 and was much influenced more by the politics than the pop culture. I was often glued to the news stations checking for updates on the invasions of Iraq (I was against the Iraq war) and Afghanistan. I watched news channels far more I did anything else in the early 00s. Pop culture didn't influence me much but the elections, wars, and controversy did.

Subject: Re: Any other 2000s teens like this?

Written By: Mat1991 on 03/19/11 at 2:37 am

Because the defining trends of the 2000s pretty much revolved around hip hop, and because I never cared for that genre, I guess I paid more attention to current events. I never had a defining style during my teen years, but I did go through a phase wherein I wore a lot of t-shirts with snarky sayings on them. Also, I was a little late in getting a MySpace - late in 2007.

I can tell you that I paid a lot of attention to the 2008 elections. What a year that was!  :D

Written By: nintieskid999 on 03/19/11 at 2:43 am

Because the defining trends of the 2000s pretty much revolved around hip hop, and because I never cared for that genre, I guess I paid more attention to current events. I never had a defining style during my teen years, but I did go through a phase wherein I wore a lot of t-shirts with snarky sayings on them. Also, I was a little late in getting a MySpace - late in 2007.

I can tell you that I paid a lot of attention to the 2008 elections. What a year that was!  :D

I think people don't get that we're more influenced by the politics of our teenhood than pop culture, at least in our later teen years. I don't care for the rap explosion. I can remember the Bush Gore Election as if it were yesterday. Over and over again Al Gore demanded recount after recount. Florida was the swing state. I also recall that many seniors said they were confused about the ballots in Florida.

Written By: Mat1991 on 03/19/11 at 3:26 am

I think people don't get that we're more influenced by the politics of our teenhood than pop culture, at least in our later teen years. I don't care for the rap explosion. I can remember the Bush Gore Election as if it were yesterday. Over and over again Al Gore demanded recount after recount. Florida was the swing state. I also recall that many seniors said they were confused about the ballots in Florida.

I vaguely remember the Bush vs. Gore election. I remember seeing the two debate each other on television, and I also remember hearing about Florida. My parents both told me that Gore was demanding a vote recount. That's all I remember.

The first election I really remember and paid attention to was the 2004 election.

Written By: Kitkat1991 on 03/19/11 at 3:48 pm

I think i was more interested  in pop culture in the mid 00s. In the late 00s, i was hooked on politics.

Written By: fredrickthe94guy on 03/19/11 at 11:10 pm

i wasnt exactly teen until 2007 (teenagers are from 13 yo) but i was 10 since 2004... mehh i wasnt really into political stuff back then but i watch the news so i do understand a lot of political things that goes on :)

Written By: Brian06 on 03/20/11 at 4:53 am

Yeah well like Bush winning and then 9/11, then the War On Terror and so on is really what truly makes the image of the '00s. I've been following politics well I could say going back to the mid '90s, going back to say the Oklahoma City Bombing which is when I started figuring out what was going on in the world at age 8. Later I followed the Clinton impeachment very actively, and the air strikes on Iraq in the late '90s and the Kosovo War, the Embassy Bombings. But yeah politics is definitely more important than pop culture.

Written By: fredrickthe94guy on 03/20/11 at 7:11 am

Yeah well like Bush winning and then 9/11, then the War On Terror and so on is really what truly makes the image of the '00s. I've been following politics well I could say going back to the mid '90s, going back to say the Oklahoma City Bombing which is when I started figuring out what was going on in the world (at age 8). Later I followed the Clinton impeachment very actively, and the air strikes on Iraq in the late '90s and the Kosovo War, the Embassy Bombings. But yeah politics is definitely more important than pop culture.

agreed ;)

i received a lot of information about terrorism acts in south east asia when i was younger as well... politics are inevitable

Written By: 80sfan on 03/20/11 at 6:08 pm

Popular culture was hard to follow starting around 2001.

After that it was when my obsession with inthe00s began ;), but movies were still good until about 2005.

Written By: fredrickthe94guy on 03/21/11 at 6:19 am

After that it was when my obsession with inthe00s began ;), but movies were still good until about 2005.

some movies are still good today... inception was good... but yes i would agree with you on that note

Check for new replies or respond here...