inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Who misses the late '90s/early '00s Internet?

Written By: yelimsexa on 03/24/11 at 8:29 am

Before social media. Before those video ads. Before all of those restricted menus. This was when the Web was the new "Wild West", and it seems like as recently as 2010 the frontier closed and is given. This was when the Internet was popular, fun, not exactly 100% essential like it is today, and when it was more "mom and pop" oriented, not being owned by different conglamerates. Sure, archive.org helps us relive this era, but it sometimes makes me cry to realize how much the Internet has changed. It was my teenage years of exploring before the innocence of being a full time adult ended this several years ago. Sure, the modems were slower, but in reality the smaller content web pages more than made up for this. Instead of Wikipedia, you used Encarta. Instead of using Youtube/Last.FM/Pandora, you used Napster and other similar sites. You used Geocities instead of Facebook. You used AIM instead of Twitter. Forums were state-of-the art then and I still feel have that formality that Twitter and to a lesser degree Facebook lack. You didn't have that many subscription plans as well to pay for, and privacy was much safer. But on Earth, all good things must eventually come to an end.

Note I use the c. 1996-2003 period here as before 1996, the Internet was too primitive to really be enjoyable.

Subject: Re: Who misses the late '90s/early '00s Internet?

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/24/11 at 3:18 pm

I miss the delights of Dial-up Internet access.

Written By: Milkof1996 on 03/24/11 at 6:55 pm

Dial-Up was so horrible, But I didn't know that since I was really little at the time. The only thing I would do on the computer back then was play games and such.

Written By: Mat1991 on 03/24/11 at 7:23 pm

Though I much prefer the internet of today over the internet of the past, I do have pleasant memories of my first PC that I got back in 2002, and of surfing the internet on it. I go to archive.org every now and then, and it is a great website for nostalgia.

Written By: snozberries on 03/24/11 at 8:04 pm

Yes. Being able to go to an Internet page and then leave while it loaded to watch a 30 minute sitcom (b/c we didn't have DVR ) yeah.... Those were the good old days.  ::)

Written By: whistledog on 03/24/11 at 8:22 pm

Yes. Being able to go to an Internet page and then leave while it loaded to watch a 30 minute sitcom (b/c we didn't have DVR ) yeah.... Those were the good old days.  ::)

30 minutes?  What kind of fast dial-up connection did you have? lol

Written By: 80sfan on 03/24/11 at 9:02 pm

It takes me 30 minutes to brush my teethe.

Only 8 minutes and 42 seconds more.... :(

Written By: snozberries on 03/24/11 at 9:12 pm

Ha ha I forgot to include getting dinner and eating it and going to the bathroom. Okay it was more like 45 mins to an hour.  ;D

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 03/24/11 at 9:23 pm

I naturally like the speed of internet today.  But I was much more active at programming (coding) webpages by hand back in the olden days (I think I hand-wrote 4 or 5 pages for different interests and for work.)  After all the program came out making it fairly simple to program a page, I really lost interest.

I also used to chat to complete strangers when internet was new (to me.)  Now, I can't be bothered anymore.  Go figure.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 03/24/11 at 10:03 pm

Dial-Up was so horrible, But I didn't know that since I was really little at the time. The only thing I would do on the computer back then was play games and such.

I remember not being able to use the phone and the internet at once. I remember having to sign off of AOL so that family members could use the phone. If you picked up the phone while someone was using the Internet, you would hear a bunch of dial up noises.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 03/24/11 at 10:06 pm

Before social media. Before those video ads. Before all of those restricted menus. This was when the Web was the new "Wild West", and it seems like as recently as 2010 the frontier closed and is given. This was when the Internet was popular, fun, not exactly 100% essential like it is today, and when it was more "mom and pop" oriented, not being owned by different conglamerates. Sure, archive.org helps us relive this era, but it sometimes makes me cry to realize how much the Internet has changed. It was my teenage years of exploring before the innocence of being a full time adult ended this several years ago. Sure, the modems were slower, but in reality the smaller content web pages more than made up for this. Instead of Wikipedia, you used Encarta. Instead of using Youtube/Last.FM/Pandora, you used Napster and other similar sites. You used Geocities instead of Facebook. You used AIM instead of Twitter. Forums were state-of-the art then and I still feel have that formality that Twitter and to a lesser degree Facebook lack. You didn't have that many subscription plans as well to pay for, and privacy was much safer. But on Earth, all good things must eventually come to an end.

Note I use the c. 1996-2003 period here as before 1996, the Internet was too primitive to really be enjoyable.

One part I miss is the creativity that went into personal websites.  Now everything is too standardized many things such as moving gifs and brightly colored are seen as tacky. There is a lot less variety and creativity as well as a lot fewer truly personalized pages. 

Written By: Starde on 03/24/11 at 10:44 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsNaR6FRuO0

My family didn't stop using dial-up internet til about 2 years ago. We must've been some of the few people on this planet still using AOL. :P

Written By: Foo Bar on 03/24/11 at 10:53 pm

Lawn, off, git :)

Actually, I wouldn't go back to pre-Eternal-September either, so count me in for Web 1.0.  (I'm not thrilled with Web 2.0, but I'm hoping that 3.0 breaks us out of the "all your data are belong to Zuckerberg" future se seem to be heading for.)

Written By: Howard on 03/25/11 at 6:17 am

I miss those days when the dial-up connection came up on the screen and made a noise when trying to dial up.

Written By: Howard on 03/25/11 at 6:18 am

It sometimes would say "Dial-Up has failed,Try Again".

Written By: Howard on 03/25/11 at 6:20 am

I think I had AOL at the time.

Written By: Howard on 03/25/11 at 6:20 am

I remember not being able to use the phone and the internet at once. I remember having to sign off of AOL so that family members could use the phone. If you picked up the phone while someone was using the Internet, you would hear a bunch of dial up noises.

That's what happened to mine too.  ::)

Written By: kitkat1991 on 03/25/11 at 8:54 am

I sure do. It brings back memories. We got our first computer in early 2001.  I was 10 and i used to play games and go in kid chat rooms. it  was sooo much fun! I hated that dial  up sound though. I remember my mom always yelling : " Get off the damn computer, i need to use the phone!"

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/25/11 at 2:37 pm

I usually went and made a cup of tea while waiting.

Written By: Howard on 03/25/11 at 7:11 pm

I usually went and made a cup of tea while waiting.

I always sat there and waited for however how long it took.http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcReeo_jrDDOirHcqens0s-SbLXZXbKSaF6vTMJBUzxE69TUFHm0

Written By: Milkof1996 on 03/25/11 at 7:44 pm

I always sat there and waited for however how long it took.http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcReeo_jrDDOirHcqens0s-SbLXZXbKSaF6vTMJBUzxE69TUFHm0

So you just stared at the computer screen the whole time? Man, Dial Up consumed the souls of many people back then.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/26/11 at 1:33 am

Do something usual while waiting, like invent broadband?

Written By: Howard on 03/26/11 at 6:29 am

So you just stared at the computer screen the whole time? Man, Dial Up consumed the souls of many people back then.

I didn't mind at the time.

Written By: Howard on 03/26/11 at 6:30 am

Do something usual while waiting, like invent broadband?

Sometimes I would go away for a moment.

Written By: ProfS on 03/26/11 at 6:16 pm

Listening to that dial-up sound sure brings back memories. I remember we had to limit our time on it since it was tied up to the phone lines. We got internet in either late 1996 or early 1997 (when I was a freshman in high school) and it was such a novelty. Strange to think that middle school kids today haven't heard that dial up sound.

Written By: Howard on 03/26/11 at 7:18 pm

I hated when I was using dail-up,you had that stupid screeching sound before you logged in.

Written By: whistledog on 03/26/11 at 7:42 pm

I miss those days when the dial-up connection came up on the screen and made a noise when trying to dial up.

I hated when I was using dail-up,you had that stupid screeching sound before you logged in.

You confused this man so much that he is stuck in thought ...

http://www.annarborcil.org/wp-content/authors/gridenour-78.jpg

Written By: snozberries on 03/26/11 at 8:18 pm

That's not what you said yesterday....  ::)

Written By: snozberries on 03/26/11 at 8:20 pm

You confused this man so much that he is stuck in thought ...

http://www.annarborcil.org/wp-content/authors/gridenour-78.jpg

Oh snap is that Wilford Brimleys grandson?  :D

Written By: whistledog on 03/26/11 at 11:57 pm

Oh snap is that Wilford Brimleys grandson?  :D

It probably could be.  Just some random pic I found while googling the word confusion lol

Written By: Howard on 03/27/11 at 6:27 am

That's not what you said yesterday....   ::)

Sorry,I get confused almost all the time,At least you don't live with me.

Written By: snozberries on 03/27/11 at 9:56 am

thank goodness for small favors!  ;D

Written By: Howard on 03/27/11 at 12:18 pm

thank goodness for small favors!  ;D

::)

Written By: 80sfan on 03/27/11 at 1:01 pm

Ah, don't worry Howard, I get confused about my comments all the time.

You make so many comments a day sooner or later you forget.  :(

Written By: joeman on 03/27/11 at 10:04 pm

It's funny, I know a guy that still uses dialup internet service for the sole purpose of playing Dungeons and Dragons online.  Man, he is sure stick in the mid-late 90s  :D

Written By: Howard on 03/28/11 at 6:45 am

It's funny, I know a guy that still uses dialup internet service for the sole purpose of playing Dungeons and Dragons online.  Man, he is sure stick in the mid-late 90s  :D

What does he use for Dial Up? ???

Written By: snozberries on 03/28/11 at 8:57 am

What does he use for Dial Up? ???

A computer and a phone line  :D

Written By: youngerderek on 03/28/11 at 10:20 am

oh God no, dial up was horrible and primitive!! in those days, any internet at all was amazing though.

Written By: Howard on 03/28/11 at 12:45 pm

A computer and a phone line  :D

I had to ask!  ::)

Written By: Howard on 03/28/11 at 12:46 pm

oh God no, dial up was horrible and primitive!! in those days, any internet at all was amazing though.

sometimes lines was busy or didn't answer.

Written By: emfuser on 03/28/11 at 1:19 pm

I remember going on Netzero and other free ISP's at the time because my parents wouldn't pay for internet access. Their speeds were actually pretty decent but you had to put up with the ad banners and frequent disconnects.

Written By: bchris02 on 03/28/11 at 9:01 pm

Dial-up didn't really start to become unusable until the early 2000s.  In the mid-late '90s, web pages were "light" enough that the Internet was reasonably fast even on a 56k modem.  I didn't have broadband until 2005 and by that time, dial-up had become so bad it wasn't even worth the time to log on.  I can't imagine what its like using dial-up today.  Interestingly enough, broadband use didn't surpass dial-up in the United States until 2006.  Today, you pretty much either have broadband or no net access at all.  I think only 10% of American Internet connections are still dial-up.

I do however miss the days when the Internet was cool rather that a commodity.  Even though the Internet was slow and clunky, there was a wonder about it that has since vanished.

Written By: Howard on 03/29/11 at 6:31 am

I do however miss the days when the Internet was cool rather that a commodity.  Even though the Internet was slow and clunky, there was a wonder about it that has since vanished.

The internet was so slow back then pages were coming up not as quickly as now.

Written By: whistledog on 03/30/11 at 12:37 am

When I first got Internet in the 90s, it was dial-up.  The Internet plan we had was horrible.  You would get 30 minutes of Internet per month, and if you exceeded that, you would have to pay $1 per hour over 30.  I'd get Internet bills that were so high, I needed a ladder to see them. 

Written By: fredrickthe94guy on 03/30/11 at 5:55 am

i was from a different country so internet wasnt used by many people until the turn of the millenium

all i know that computers can connect with each other around the world back then and i dont know it was called internet :p

"my vague account with old internet was 2003" i think it was a google website :p but i seem to adjust to internet naturally in 2004 :p but didnt use it regularly until 2007

i remember the days without facebook and youtube and it was ages ago for me!!! people are still using friendsters and myspace was very much new

Written By: Howard on 03/30/11 at 6:25 am

When I first got Internet in the 90s, it was dial-up.  The Internet plan we had was horrible.  You would get 30 minutes of Internet per month, and if you exceeded that, you would have to pay $1 per hour over 30.  I'd get Internet bills that were so high, I needed a ladder to see them. 

our internet bills were high too.

Written By: youngerderek on 03/30/11 at 5:00 pm

:o might as well not have any Internet at all!!!

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/31/11 at 1:02 am

our internet bills were high too.
Unless you were using someone else's dial-up.

Written By: 80sfan on 03/31/11 at 1:23 am

;D

Written By: Howard on 03/31/11 at 6:44 am

No,we would never do that.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/31/11 at 1:23 pm

No,we would never do that.
At a friends etc?

Written By: Howard on 03/31/11 at 7:21 pm

At a friends etc?

Maybe at a friend's house.

Written By: nally on 03/31/11 at 11:42 pm

That was the hugest problem with dialup, tying up your phone line. We had that in our new home for the first two or three years before upgrading to DSL. Good thing we all had cell phones in case we needed to take/make calls.

Written By: nally on 03/31/11 at 11:45 pm

It sometimes would say "Dial-Up has failed,Try Again".

What's even worse is when your connection gets lost for whatever reason, especially when you're in the middle of something.

Written By: Howard on 04/01/11 at 6:36 am

That was the hugest problem with dialup, tying up your phone line. We had that in our new home for the first two or three years before upgrading to DSL. Good thing we all had cell phones in case we needed to take/make calls.

and family members would say "get off that damn phone".

Written By: Howard on 04/01/11 at 6:37 am

What's even worse is when your connection gets lost for whatever reason, especially when you're in the middle of something.

I know,it happened to me. ::)

Written By: nally on 04/01/11 at 11:14 am

and family members would say "get off that damn phone".

Yes, it was quite an inconvenience for your land line to be monopolized by the internet connection. Now with a wireless connection, that problem is easily avoided.

Written By: Howard on 04/01/11 at 7:25 pm

Yes, it was quite an inconvenience for your land line to be monopolized by the internet connection. Now with a wireless connection, that problem is easily avoided.

cell phones.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 04/02/11 at 6:33 pm

I'm glad the days of dial-up are over. It was a pain having to log off every time someone needed to use the phone.
The only other options were to get 2 phone lines or use cell phones you did.

Written By: Howard on 04/02/11 at 7:11 pm

I'm glad the days of dial-up are over. It was a pain having to log off every time someone needed to use the phone.
The only other options were to get 2 phone lines or use cell phones you did.

Cell Phones are much better now.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/03/11 at 3:22 am

Cell Phones are much better now.
...but still are annoying!

Written By: Howard on 04/03/11 at 6:39 am

I agree.

Written By: whistledog on 04/03/11 at 7:57 pm

I hated the loading times most of all.  Downloading a picture of your mom took forever :P

Written By: snozberries on 04/03/11 at 8:57 pm

I hated the loading times most of all.  Downloading a picture of your mom took forever :P

That, son, earned you more karma  ;D

Written By: 80sfan on 04/03/11 at 9:48 pm

Cell phones aren't annoying, the people talking on them are.  :-X

Written By: Howard on 04/04/11 at 6:34 am

You could've made a cup of coffee and still it would be loading. ::)

Written By: Howard on 04/04/11 at 6:35 am

Cell phones aren't annoying, the people talking on them are.  :-X

I know,It's commonplace now.  ::)

Written By: Brian06 on 05/13/11 at 3:15 am

Well I remember how frustrating dialup was back in the late '90s single webpages took like 30 seconds to a minute to come up, these days they load within almost instantly so I can't say I miss those dialup speeds lmao. Though by the early '00s I had broadband.

Written By: Howard on 05/13/11 at 6:17 am

Well I remember how frustrating dialup was back in the late '90s single webpages took like 30 seconds to a minute to come up, these days they load within almost instantly so I can't say I miss those dialup speeds lmao. Though by the early '00s I had broadband.

That's why now there's 4G which is the most fastest speed.

Written By: bchris02 on 05/17/11 at 8:58 pm

Didn't get broadband here until well into 2005.  By that time dialup was almost unusable for anything other than email.  In the early '00s broadband coverage was far more spotty than it is now.

Written By: RG1995 on 05/17/11 at 9:43 pm

I hated that noise whenever you turned on AOL to get onto the internet  8-P

Written By: Foo Bar on 05/17/11 at 9:58 pm

What we're gonna do right here is go back, way back.

Telehack is a server that attempts to replicate the experience of a pre-WWW internet.  (Don't worry, you can't break anything, it's just a really well-executed simulation, but when you run "who", at least some of the other users are real.)

To use it, either telnet (to port 23 of) telehack.com, or for a browser-based experience, click on the link with Javascript enabled.

I'm going to run away from telehack for the moment, because it's just too damn addictive.  Don't be surprised if you don't "get it" for a few minutes... or even hours.  Just keep poking at it, figuring out what the various commands do and how they work, and see what you can make it do.  That was the addictive part of early-era computing: you didn't know what a system might be capable of, but you knew that if you kept going at it systematically, you could make it do awesome things. 

Written By: Howard on 05/18/11 at 6:34 am

I hated that noise whenever you turned on AOL to get onto the internet  8-P

Me Too.

Written By: SpyroKev on 06/10/16 at 10:17 am

I have my fair share of old school internet experiences. I was first a guest in the later 90s till 2006. I do miss it. Mainly the 1999-2004 experience. I remember that sudden distinctive feel it had if I'm not already confusing it with the feel of said in general era.

Written By: Howard on 06/10/16 at 2:50 pm

I have my fair share of old school internet experiences. I was first a guest in the later 90s till 2006. I do miss it. Mainly the 1999-2004 experience. I remember that sudden distinctive feel it had if I'm not already confusing it with the feel of said in general era.

In a way I do miss AOL Instant Messenger.

Check for new replies or respond here...