inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The most major songs and artists of the 00s

Written By: SuperDude526 on 04/22/11 at 11:48 am

Hello folks, the name's SuperDude526 (SD or Super for short), and I'm a new member here so please have mercy on me if this thread has already been done to death (and if it has, a link to it would be greatly appreciated).

Right, so I'm an 00s kid who's trying to write a coming-of-age somewhat based on my own experiences of growing up during the Bush years, or more specifically the post-9/11 years.  I've already written a couple of chapters, so I know that the outset of the narrative is August '03, on the very day that the huge Midwest-Northwest Blackout occurred in the U.S., and I will also be covering the years 2006 and Dec. 31, 2009.  Additionally, I've decided to name each of my chapters after songs from the 00s, ranging from those that were significant to me personally and as part of the narrative, to those that were popular/significant on the wider cultural scale.

That's my problem, why I've come to you... and by and large why I joined this forum in the first place.  Having been a metalhead totally disconnected from the mainstream from around the time my novel starts until maybe a year or two ago, I have such a foggy idea of what was popular/significant, what songs people remember, etc.  Not that I lived under a rock, because in a general sense I can trace the major trends from 2000 to 2009 with little effort; the problem is specifics.  What songs specifically were the greats of their time period?  What artists?  That is why I come to you, and I thank you immensely for your help.

Subject: Re: The most major songs and artists of the 00s

Written By: SuperDude526 on 04/22/11 at 2:15 pm

:\'(

Written By: Mat1991 on 04/22/11 at 4:43 pm

Here's a Wikipedia page that shows each individual year of the top songs that charted on Billboard. Just click on a year and it'll take you to a chart of songs from that year.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Template:Top_Hot_100_Hits

I hope this helps.  :)

Written By: SuperDude526 on 04/22/11 at 5:57 pm

I think this will do it, thanks!  If I find anything missing or not quite up to snuff, I s'pose I'll come back looking for more.  Either way, thanks very much for the help.

Written By: Creeder on 04/23/11 at 2:59 am

Major 2000s artists inlcude Eminem, 50 Cent, The Black Eyed Peas, Nickelback, Linkin Park, Fall Out Boy, The Killers, Avril Lavigne, Britney Spears, Coldplay, 3 Doors Down, The White Stripes, Staind, System of a Down and so on.

Written By: SuperDude526 on 04/23/11 at 8:45 am

Major 2000s artists inlcude Eminem, 50 Cent, The Black Eyed Peas, Nickelback, Linkin Park, Fall Out Boy, The Killers, Avril Lavigne, Britney Spears, Coldplay, 3 Doors Down, The White Stripes, Staind, System of a Down and so on.

Well yeah I mean I knew those on a pretty basic level, plus Green Day and possibly the Plain White T's; my focus was on the songs themselves.

Written By: Emman on 04/23/11 at 2:21 pm

You'd find endless songs with "shawty" repeated, to me the southern rap sound defines the '00s, with different flavors of it progressing through the decade(pre-crunk R&B rap, crunk, chopped and screwed Houston rap, snap-rap, techno/R&B-rap hybrid) , so songs in that direction.

Written By: Mr.Brightside on 04/23/11 at 3:53 pm

Seven Nation Army. If that doesn't scream 2000's and Bush I don't know what does.

Written By: Kimi Raikkonen on 04/24/11 at 8:02 am

Some of the songs i'd include by year (relevant pop culture wise and may work as titles too):

Kryptonite - 3 Doors down
Bye Bye Bye - NSync
Oops I did it Again - Britney Spears
Try Again - Aaliyah

Hanging by a Moment - Lifehouse
Drops of Jupiter - Train
Family Affair - Mary J Blige
Case of the Ex - Mya
Stan - Eminem
Ride wit Me - Nelly

Dilemma - Nelly
A thousand Miles - Vanessa Carlton
By the Way = RHCP
U Got it Bad - Usher
Complicated - Avril Lavigne
Whenever Wherever - Shakira
Cleanin Out My Closet - Eminem
Lose Yourself - Eminem

Crazy in Love - Beyonce
Cant Stop - RHCP
Beautiful - Christina Aguilera
Lose Yourself - Eminem
Where is the Lover? - Black Eyed Peas
Cry Me a River - Justin Timberlake
Hey Ya - Outkast

American Idiot - Green Day
Numb - Linkin Park
Mosh - Eminem (anti Bush)
Jesus Walks - Kanye West
All these Things I have Done - The Killers
Mr Brightside - The Killers
Seven Nation Army - White Stripes
Take Me Out - Frans Ferdinand

Hollaback Girl - Gwen Stefani
Photograph - Nickelback
Lonely - Akon
Karma - Alicia Keys
Fix You - Cold Play
Cool - Gwen Stefani

More to follow

Written By: SuperDude526 on 04/25/11 at 8:00 am

Some of the songs i'd include by year (relevant pop culture wise and may work as titles too):

Kryptonite - 3 Doors down
Bye Bye Bye - NSync
Oops I did it Again - Britney Spears
Try Again - Aaliyah

Hanging by a Moment - Lifehouse
Drops of Jupiter - Train
Family Affair - Mary J Blige
Case of the Ex - Mya
Stan - Eminem
Ride wit Me - Nelly

Dilemma - Nelly
A thousand Miles - Vanessa Carlton
By the Way = RHCP
U Got it Bad - Usher
Complicated - Avril Lavigne
Whenever Wherever - Shakira
Cleanin Out My Closet - Eminem
Lose Yourself - Eminem

Crazy in Love - Beyonce
Cant Stop - RHCP
Beautiful - Christina Aguilera
Lose Yourself - Eminem
Where is the Lover? - Black Eyed Peas
Cry Me a River - Justin Timberlake
Hey Ya - Outkast

American Idiot - Green Day
Numb - Linkin Park
Mosh - Eminem (anti Bush)
Jesus Walks - Kanye West
All these Things I have Done - The Killers
Mr Brightside - The Killers
Seven Nation Army - White Stripes
Take Me Out - Frans Ferdinand

Hollaback Girl - Gwen Stefani
Photograph - Nickelback
Lonely - Akon
Karma - Alicia Keys
Fix You - Cold Play
Cool - Gwen Stefani

More to follow

Wow.  Considering that around 3/4 of these were included on my own incomplete list, I'm looking forward to hearing the rest.  I can't thank you enough.

Written By: SuperDude526 on 04/25/11 at 1:55 pm

Also to the 2003/2004 section I'd add the following:

Move Your Feet - Junior Senior
Ocean Avenue - Yellowcard
All Downhill from Here - New Found Glory
Stacy's Mom - Fountains of Wayne
Ignition (Remix) - R. Kelly

The tracks may not be breaking ground or significant in any sense, but in the context of growing up during this time, these tracks would have been very prevalent.  I know they were for me; I heard them on the radio and being sung my peers at school constantly.

Written By: Kimi Raikkonen on 05/02/11 at 1:51 am

Hi Superdude, Im glad you liked the choices. I'll be back in the next day or so with more

Written By: SuperDude526 on 05/02/11 at 11:57 am

Oh, another one for 2005 that, even though not entirely culturally significant in itself, represents a major shift in rock towards emo.

Sugar We're Goin' Down - Fall Out Boy

I think the song is garbage, but no one can deny that this and the ensuing emo explosion left its mark on 2005-2008.

Written By: whistledog on 05/02/11 at 12:10 pm

The biggest selling single in Canada of the 00s was 'Untiled #1' by Sigur Ros.  It peaked at #4 and spent 131 weeks in the chart.

It entered the chart on June 21, 2003, and left the chart on October 5, 2006

Written By: SuperDude526 on 05/02/11 at 12:37 pm

I was actually talking about the U.S., but good for Canada, seriously.  I may not personally like Sigur Ros, but I do appreciate what they represent to rock.

Written By: Shiv on 05/02/11 at 12:39 pm

Oh, another one for 2005 that, even though not entirely culturally significant in itself, represents a major shift in rock towards emo.

Sugar We're Goin' Down - Fall Out Boy

I think the song is garbage, but no one can deny that this and the ensuing emo explosion left its mark on 2005-2008.

Actually, emo began earlier than that...around 2002. However it did recieve a big burst in popularity around 2005 due to more pop-friendly emo bands like FOB and Panic at the Disco coming out, peaked in popularity in 2006, then died out by the end of the decade.

Today, its deader than disco and most emo bands have either begun to detest the "emo" label, switch styles, or slide down the charts.

Written By: SuperDude526 on 05/02/11 at 5:06 pm

Actually, emo began earlier than that...around 2002. However it did recieve a big burst in popularity around 2005 due to more pop-friendly emo bands like FOB and Panic at the Disco coming out, peaked in popularity in 2006, then died out by the end of the decade.

Today, its deader than disco and most emo bands have either begun to detest the "emo" label, switch styles, or slide down the charts.

That's essentially what I meant.

Written By: Shiv on 05/02/11 at 8:41 pm

That's essentially what I meant.

Oh sorry, I thought you meant emo began in 2005, which it didn't.

Written By: SuperDude526 on 05/02/11 at 9:01 pm

Also for 2004 is Memory by Sugarcult.  I'm pretty much covered where the years 2003 and 2004 are concerned, but I've got virtually nothing on the ensuing years because it was around that time I discovered my own musical tastes in earnest and stopped listening to the radio hits.

Written By: SuperDude526 on 05/08/11 at 12:20 pm

Add Feel Good, Inc. by the Gorillaz for 2005.

Written By: Brian06 on 05/11/11 at 2:51 am

Well for the first half of the '00s:

2000..."Ooops...I did it Again", "Bye Bye Bye", "Say My Name", "The Real Slim Shady", Aaliyah, Blink 182, Christina Aguilera

Survivor - Destiny's Child was one of the "defining songs" for my 2001, Also loved Janet Jackson, Blu Cantrell, Shaggy, Nelly Furtado, Nickelback

2002 I was jamming Ashanti, Avril, Linkin Park, Puddle of Mudd, Eminem, Pink, Kylie Minogue, "Jenny From the Block", "Dilemma", "All The Things She Said"

2003 Beyonce (Crazy In Love), 50 Cent (In da Club), Sean Paul (Get Busy), Maroon 5 (Harder to Breathe), Jason Mraz (The Remedy), Kelly Clarkson, "Stacy's Mom"

2004 I liked "Someday", "Toxic", Maroon 5,  Usher, "The Reason", "With You", "Sunshine", JoJo, "Dip it Low", "Lean Back", "All Falls Down", Ciara (Goodies)

Written By: whistledog on 05/11/11 at 8:25 pm

I was actually talking about the U.S.

You didn't say that in your initial post.  We have members here from the UK, Australia and the Netherlands, among other regions, all who have different perspectives on what were the most major songs of the 00s based on what was popular in their country.

In the UK, the groups Girls Aloud and Sugababes dominated the charts

In Canada, we had Simple Plan and Mariana's Trench

Check for new replies or respond here...