inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: How's this for a trend that ended in the 00s?

Written By: SuperDude526 on 05/05/11 at 3:19 pm

After 2007 or so, growing up I began to notice people going outside less and less and people spending ever more time on their computers.  That's one of the reasons I miss the 90s/early 00s: PEOPLE ACTUALLY USED TO SPEND TIME OUTDOORS FOR FUN.  Now it's all Facebook, twitter, YouTube, reddit, online forums, internet memes, rage comics, blah blah blah...

Subject: Re: How's this for a trend that ended in the 00s?

Written By: whistledog on 05/05/11 at 4:46 pm

PEOPLE ACTUALLY USED TO SPEND TIME OUTDOORS FOR FUN.  Now it's all Facebook, twitter, YouTube, reddit, online forums, internet memes, rage comics, blah blah blah...

... said the man who is indoors, online, posting on an internet forum

Written By: snozberries on 05/05/11 at 5:14 pm

;D

I was think with the ability to post via mobile devices, tablets and laptops people are probably back outside again.
At least they are in california

Written By: SuperDude526 on 05/05/11 at 7:09 pm

Well if it makes you feel better, I posted that after having just come back from outside. ;)

Written By: bchris02 on 05/05/11 at 10:21 pm

After 2007 or so, growing up I began to notice people going outside less and less and people spending ever more time on their computers.  That's one of the reasons I miss the 90s/early 00s: PEOPLE ACTUALLY USED TO SPEND TIME OUTDOORS FOR FUN.  Now it's all Facebook, twitter, YouTube, reddit, online forums, internet memes, rage comics, blah blah blah...

This is more the case for kids.  Drive through a neighborhood and you dont see near as many kids out playing as you once did, they are inside playing their Xbox or PS3. 

Written By: joeman on 05/06/11 at 12:43 am

This is more the case for kids.  Drive through a neighborhood and you dont see near as many kids out playing as you once did, they are inside playing their Xbox or PS3. 

I live near a park, and kids still go outside everyday.  Honestly, I think every generation says the same thing about the next generation ever since the first that had video games. 

Written By: Howard on 05/06/11 at 6:33 am

You got him there.  ;D

Written By: Howard on 05/06/11 at 6:35 am

I think we've been becoming a lazy society that technology has taken over our life,we don't get as much excersize like we used to,our days have filled up with computers.

Written By: yelimsexa on 05/06/11 at 6:39 am

;D

I was think with the ability to post via mobile devices, tablets and laptops people are probably back outside again.
At least they are in california

This isn't like 2006 when all a mobile device could do was play some simple games and have slow, basic Internet access where having a Laptop was the thing and console gaming along with online multiplayer from a desktop/laptop was the thing (I'm starting to see the 2000s as the "peak" of laptop usage). It's almost like the 2000s were the "cocoon" decade of technology, where people just "hid" inside their rooms enjoying the latest gadgets, where the 2010s may be like the butterfly decade- back outside but with new technological features gained while cocconing on the previous stuff. We'll see though as you still can only get large monitors inside. We'll see if it catches on the rest of the world however and California tends to lead trends.

Written By: Emman on 05/06/11 at 7:30 am

This isn't like 2006 when all a mobile device could do was play some simple games and have slow, basic Internet access where having a Laptop was the thing and console gaming along with online multiplayer from a desktop/laptop was the thing (I'm starting to see the 2000s as the "peak" of laptop usage). It's almost like the 2000s were the "cocoon" decade of technology, where people just "hid" inside their rooms enjoying the latest gadgets, where the 2010s may be like the butterfly decade- back outside but with new technological features gained while cocconing on the previous stuff. We'll see though as you still can only get large monitors inside. We'll see if it catches on the rest of the world however and California tends to lead trends.

So you're saying the '10s will be the decade where mobile computing really starts to take off.

Written By: 80sfan on 05/06/11 at 7:33 am

You're right. It's a sad trend though.  :-\\

Written By: SuperDude526 on 05/06/11 at 8:34 am

You got him there.  ;D

Well if it makes you feel better, I posted that after having just come back from outside. ;)

In fact being one of the only people I saw outside is what struck me in the first place.

Written By: Howard on 05/06/11 at 7:11 pm

So you're saying the '10s will be the decade where mobile computing really starts to take off.

I think it already started.

Written By: sonikuu on 05/06/11 at 7:27 pm

Adults have been complaining about kids not going outside enough since at least the 90s, maybe even the late 80s.  I remember my parents, aunts, and uncles saying that about "kids these days" in the 90s. 

Written By: Howard on 05/06/11 at 7:47 pm

Adults have been complaining about kids not going outside enough since at least the 90s, maybe even the late 80s.  I remember my parents, aunts, and uncles saying that about "kids these days" in the 90s. 

kids these days want electronics,keeps them busy.

Written By: Louise1978 on 05/07/11 at 3:25 am

That is true.I noticed children playing outside less during the 90's and onwards.I'm a child of the 80's and I spent so much of my childhood outdoors.I'm sure if I had the technology that the kids of today have to play with inside their homes I probably would have spent more time indoors.

Written By: Howard on 05/07/11 at 6:30 am

That is true.I noticed children playing outside less during the 90's and onwards.I'm a child of the 80's and I spent so much of my childhood outdoors.I'm sure if I had the technology that the kids of today have to play with inside their homes I probably would have spent more time indoors.

I think I spend more time inside than outside.

Written By: SuperDude526 on 05/07/11 at 7:15 am

Adults have been complaining about kids not going outside enough since at least the 90s, maybe even the late 80s.  I remember my parents, aunts, and uncles saying that about "kids these days" in the 90s.  

That's true but I don't think they're entirely right, especially as compared with the change over the last decade.  If anything, the 00's have marked the change from kids spending most of their time outside to spending most of their time on a computer.  And also that can be said in contrast with TV, where people in general are seemingly devoting more indoors time to their computer than to their TV, obviously because computers by the end of the decade could do an order of magnitude more things than their computers could at the beginning of it.

Written By: Howard on 05/07/11 at 6:59 pm

That's true but I don't think they're entirely right, especially as compared with the change over the last decade.  If anything, the 00's have marked the change from kids spending most of their time outside to spending most of their time on a computer.  And also that can be said in contrast with TV, where people in general are seemingly devoting more indoors time to their computer than to their TV, obviously because computers by the end of the decade could do an order of magnitude more things than their computers could at the beginning of it.

computers might be taking over everything by the end of the decade.

Written By: 70scarlover on 05/07/11 at 7:40 pm

computers might be taking over everything by the end of the decade.

Well, I think people somehow will get fed up with computers and start using them mainly for business/studying again. Or at least we will post on message boards and talk on Skype while enjoying our sunbathing by the pool, like they did it on 'Beverly Hills Teens' and we will not waste time sitting infront of the PCs, because we will do other things while using them. Remember the 'Beverly Hills Teens' cartoon? Waiters/waitresses and house cleaners there were robots. I still think that's cool, I can't wait for the time when waiters/waitresses and house cleaners will be robots. I think that we should focus on robotics and not on personal computing. Right now we're in the middle - we are too dependent on tech, but if you think about it for a while, it's still too boring and nothing like the tech on movies about the future. We have smart phones, iPads, YouTube, etc. but we still don't have robots cleaning our houses and serving us at a restaurant. Oh and where are our moving sidewalks? Now they're only used at airports and shopping malls, but not at the outside, which sucks.

Written By: Brian06 on 05/11/11 at 2:07 am

We're definitely much more "connected" now than we were even in say the mid '00s. Technology is progressing rapidly as always, today we're in the mobile revolution. Just think about the lack of real social networking until the late '00s, well there was some but it wasn't really developed yet. Now people are constantly updating their Facebook and Twitter, news spreads faster than ever before. It's both amazing and a bit scary being that we give up privacy when we use services like Facebook.

Written By: Howard on 05/11/11 at 6:34 am

We're definitely much more "connected" now than we were even in say the mid '00s. Technology is progressing rapidly as always, today we're in the mobile revolution. Just think about the lack of real social networking until the late '00s, well there was some but it wasn't really developed yet. Now people are constantly updating their Facebook and Twitter, news spreads faster than ever before. It's both amazing and a bit scary being that we give up privacy when we use services like Facebook.

Something that never occurred in the 80's,We were listening to our Walkmans,playing with Atari,using our "brick" cell phones.

Written By: Hud on 05/11/11 at 6:41 am

I'm thankful I grew up without the vid game distraction/addiction, much less with computers added.
Forbid green men, an evil genius or solar flares knocked out satellites. Many would pull their hair out and contemplate aborted suicide attempts, before trying to figure out how to climb a tree, throw a baseball or bait a hook.

Check for new replies or respond here...