inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Who misses the early days of Youtube?

Written By: yelimsexa on 07/06/11 at 7:10 am

Even though Youtube is just 6.5 years old, there is already a sense among some who long for the days before videos constantly removed were common. Back before rentals, lots of ads (unless you have an adblocker), and when many TV shows/movies were free to view before they got removed or went behind the paywall. It seems like 2006, 2007, and perhaps 2008 had the best selection of such clips available and it seems like Youtube as "must see Internet" has faded somewhat and is simply just taken for granted nowadays. Let's hope it doesn't completely become "Paytube". Hulu is another I lament since it converted to a subscription model. And it seems like the "fun" stuff is getting harder and harder to find online as newspaper paywalls, anti-piracy measures become more and more common to the point where I would rather get offline more and buy more physical products!

Subject: Re: Who misses the early days of Youtube?

Written By: Kitkat1991 on 07/06/11 at 9:45 am

I do! I miss Youtube's early years. Early youtube and Myspace were my addictions.

;D

Written By: Milkof1996 on 07/06/11 at 9:54 am

Lol I remember when I discovered Youtube as a kid. Became addicted to it ever since

Written By: fusefan on 07/06/11 at 3:30 pm

I totally miss the way YouTube was like in late 2005, 2006, and 2007. There is WAY too much spam and copyright cops on the loose on that site nowadays.   :P

Written By: Howard on 07/06/11 at 7:22 pm

I miss the early days before my videos were removed when you were allowed to keep 200 videos in your playlist.

Written By: Brian06 on 07/06/11 at 7:34 pm

I do actually, it wasn't all commercial and full of ads back then.

Written By: joeman on 07/06/11 at 8:11 pm

I made an account when Youtube first started and I was able to post videos that came off directly from TV shows at the time.  Since whenever(2009-2010 ish), Youtube have been tracking down people who post certain shows with a flag of "copyright infridgement".  BS I TELL YOU, BS!!

Written By: 80sfan on 07/06/11 at 8:34 pm

I do miss when there were less ads and less videos taken down, but those 2 things were eventually going to happen sooner or later, I guess it was sooner.  ::)

To answer your question, no I don't, I like Youtube now just the same as I did in '05.

Written By: nicole1977 on 07/06/11 at 9:49 pm

YouTube have slowly but surely becoming corporate ever since Google joined with YouTube.  Ever since Google got a hold of it, YouTube went down the tube.  I've been on YouTube since January 2007, and it was so much fun.  It still is but it got corporate on me. 

Written By: Brian06 on 07/06/11 at 9:55 pm

I remember before Youtube in the early 2000s, I used to download my videos off of Kazaa or watch on Yahoo! Launch.

Written By: watertowater on 07/07/11 at 4:40 am

Noticed how fast websites change these days? I mean, compare 2009 Facebook and YouTube to their modern counterparts.

As for me, not really. I never used YouTube much in dem good 'ole dayz.  :D

Written By: Howard on 07/07/11 at 6:50 am

I made an account when Youtube first started and I was able to post videos that came off directly from TV shows at the time.   Since whenever(2009-2010 ish), Youtube have been tracking down people who post certain shows with a flag of "copyright infridgement".  BS I TELL YOU, BS!!

It's like with most WWE videos.

Written By: Howard on 07/07/11 at 6:52 am

YouTube have slowly but surely becoming corporate ever since Google joined with YouTube.  Ever since Google got a hold of it, YouTube went down the tube.  I've been on YouTube since January 2007, and it was so much fun.  It still is but it got corporate on me. 

I've been a member of Youtube for 5 years and everytime you want to save 200 videos day by day they start pulling a few videos away which means your playlist gets smaller and smaller. ::)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/08/11 at 9:35 pm

I don't miss the early days because there was 1/10 the content there is today.  I do wish Youtube didn't become so corporate, but it was inevitable with commercial success.

Written By: Rhodes on 07/13/11 at 7:56 pm

I totally miss the way YouTube was like in late 2005, 2006, and 2007. There is WAY too much spam and copyright cops on the loose on that site nowadays.

thats because if they don't enforce the copyright for stuff on there the company that owns it can get youtube shut down with a single email to its ISP. doesn't make it any less annoying though. sadly it was bound to happen sooner or later.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/13/11 at 10:11 pm

thats because if they don't enforce the copyright for stuff on there the company that owns it can get youtube shut down with a single email to its ISP. doesn't make it any less annoying though. sadly it was bound to happen sooner or later.

Sometimes they mute the sound.  Sometimes they remove the video altogether. 

The commercials are annoying, but it's a price I'm willing to pay.

Written By: Brian06 on 07/14/11 at 1:13 am

Youtube homepage back in 2005:

http://web.archive.org/web/20050914015855/http://www.youtube.com/

Written By: Howard on 07/14/11 at 6:43 am

Sometimes they mute the sound.  Sometimes they remove the video altogether. 

The commercials are annoying, but it's a price I'm willing to pay.

everytime you want to watch a video here comes a stupid commercial.  ::)

Written By: Howard on 07/14/11 at 6:46 am

Youtube homepage back in 2005:

http://web.archive.org/web/20050914015855/http://www.youtube.com/

That was way cool.

Written By: Howard on 07/14/11 at 6:47 am

They keep changing youtube every single week,Does anyone see a change in them these days? ???

Written By: Davester on 07/17/11 at 6:53 pm

I agree with Max.  Yeah, YouTube sold-out to an extent, but even at it's worst it's still pretty damned good...

Written By: Howard on 07/18/11 at 6:20 am

Has anyone viewed the new youtube with the like/dislike buttons?

Written By: Anonymous on 07/23/11 at 2:07 am

I remember starting on the Internet in 2005, and playing a little online chatting game. I always saw links to YouTube, I still remember the look!

Written By: whistledog on 07/23/11 at 2:19 am

I'm getting sick of Vevo.  I don't want to see a 30 sec advertisement before I see the video I want to see.  Sometimes, I get the option to skip it after about 5 seconds, other times I can't.

Written By: whistledog on 07/23/11 at 2:22 am

It's strange how you can sometimes find interesting things you weren't even looking for on YouTube.  I was looking for the video for the 90s classic 'Fable' by Robert Miles, and one of the results I found was some half naked blonde girl getting a back massage to the tune of Fable.  

That song works so well with a massage clip.  I'd post the video of it, but in it, you can see the girl's butt crack lol

Written By: Howard on 07/23/11 at 8:05 am

I'm getting sick of Vevo.  I don't want to see a 30 sec advertisement before I see the video I want to see.  Sometimes, I get the option to skip it after about 5 seconds, other times I can't.

those advertisements are so annoying.  ::)

Written By: JaxRhapsody on 09/01/11 at 3:31 pm

I don't miss the early days because there was 1/10 the content there is today.  I do wish Youtube didn't become so corporate, but it was inevitable with commercial success.
You can blame Google for that. Ever since they bought Youtube it's went down hill. Hell It's not just the copyright and the removal of stuff like bumfights, it's also the content you can watch. I like the Gorillaz, I tried to watch one of their toutube videos for Plastic Beqach when it came out and I couldn't because it was only viewable by people who live in Europe/London.

Written By: Brian06 on 09/01/11 at 3:33 pm

Yeah I hate those long ads, 30 second ad before you can see a 3 minute music video seriously?  ::)

Written By: Foo Bar on 09/01/11 at 11:23 pm

Wait, what?  YouTube is a website?  Funny, I thought it was a source of ID strings that you supplied to a command-line script. 

Over the past few weeks. they've been slowly migrating their content from Flash (.flv) to HTML5's standard for video, WebM.

What are these "ads" of which you speak?

Written By: Howard on 09/02/11 at 6:38 am

Yeah I hate those long ads, 30 second ad before you can see a 3 minute music video seriously?  ::)

Even youtube has done it too,you have to sit through a minute long ad before you can finally watch a video.  ::)

Written By: Howard on 09/02/11 at 6:40 am

Now Youtube has become another video place where you can rent a video for only $9.99.

Written By: Bobby on 09/02/11 at 8:08 am

As in become another 'Lovefilm' clone, Howard?

I think Youtube still retains it's free-for-all mentality despite certain companies trying to stamp down on it's copyright issues. What I love about Youtube is it is essentially a microcosm of human life. It shows the funny, serious, dark and light aspects of human nature. It refers to the past and the present and, in some cases, even the future.

Youtube can add what it likes, as long as it doesn't take away the personal freedom to legally express yourself on the web all power to it.  :)

Written By: Howard on 09/02/11 at 12:35 pm

As in become another 'Lovefilm' clone, Howard?

I think Youtube still retains it's free-for-all mentality despite certain companies trying to stamp down on it's copyright issues. What I love about Youtube is it is essentially a microcosm of human life. It shows the funny, serious, dark and light aspects of human nature. It refers to the past and the present and, in some cases, even the future.

Youtube can add what it likes, as long as it doesn't take away the personal freedom to legally express yourself on the web all power to it.  :)

For 6 years Youtube has become the place where you can watch and buy videos It has also become the most popular.

Written By: Bobby on 09/03/11 at 10:12 pm

For 6 years Youtube has become the place where you can watch and buy videos It has also become the most popular.

I don't know what kind of service Youtube provides but I will be getting on to Lovefilm soon. It seems so easy to deal with, made easier that I have a postbox conveniently placed next to my work so I can put my rentals in after I have finished.

Written By: Howard on 09/04/11 at 6:33 am

I don't know what kind of service Youtube provides but I will be getting on to Lovefilm soon. It seems so easy to deal with, made easier that I have a postbox conveniently placed next to my work so I can put my rentals in after I have finished.

What's Lovefilm? ???

Written By: Bobby on 09/18/11 at 8:57 am

What's Lovefilm? ???

Lovefilm is a DVD/streaming rental service that allows you to borrow DVDs/Blu Rays and video games for a set price a month with no contract. You make a list on the website and Lovefilm will send those DVDs/Blu Ray or video games to your door or alternatively you can stream them on your computer. You can keep hold of the media for as long as you like so you won't incur a fine for lateness and it's free post to return.

http://www.lovefilm.com/

I sound like a commercial, lol.

Written By: Howard on 09/19/11 at 6:51 am

Lovefilm is a DVD/streaming rental service that allows you to borrow DVDs/Blu Rays and video games for a set price a month with no contract. You make a list on the website and Lovefilm will send those DVDs/Blu Ray or video games to your door or alternatively you can stream them on your computer. You can keep hold of the media for as long as you like so you won't incur a fine for lateness and it's free post to return.

http://www.lovefilm.com/

I sound like a commercial, lol.

Oh so it's like Netflix?

Written By: tnf on 09/23/11 at 2:58 am

*reads topic titel and nodds*

Sometimes, you can skip long advertisement sections after a couple of seconds. But the non-skippable ones are becoming longer and longer, the last couple of months. Up to about 30 seconds. :(

Written By: Howard on 09/23/11 at 6:36 am

*reads topic titel and nodds*

Sometimes, you can skip long advertisement sections after a couple of seconds. But the non-skippable ones are becoming longer and longer, the last couple of months. Up to about 30 seconds. :(

Now they have advertisements and commercials,C'mon give me a break already!  ::)

Written By: belmont22 on 11/26/12 at 2:21 am

I miss how easy it was to rack up hits. Today, I have to work my behind off just to get 100 views.  :-\\

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 11/26/12 at 2:37 am

I miss the time when I could watch all music videos. Today, I have no access to most of all the stuff you post here.

Written By: belmont22 on 11/26/12 at 2:44 am

I miss the time when I could watch all music videos. Today, I have no access to most of all the stuff you post here.

Really? They censor it? Or is it copyright related stuff?

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 11/26/12 at 3:10 am

Really? They censor it? Or is it copyright related stuff?

Yeah, they block a lot of music titles due to the copyright.
Even the foreign stuff, and that's the weird thing about it.

Written By: Milkof1996 on 11/26/12 at 8:10 pm

I miss when Youtube didn't have ads everywhere you look.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 11/27/12 at 1:01 pm

I've been going to YouTube since back in 2005, and I do sometimes miss the "wild west" feel that it had before the Google acquisition. Even though you could argue that there's a bigger video selection now, back then nothing got deleted, ever.

Written By: Slim95 on 11/29/12 at 1:25 am

I really miss the innocent days of YouTube. Less trolls and more of a serious video website that posted more original videos. I think it changed drastically ever since Google took over. I still love YouTube though and it's my favorite Social Networking site but I'd do anything to go back to the original layout form it's earlier days.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 11/29/12 at 1:37 am

I really miss the innocent days of YouTube. Less trolls and more of a serious video website that posted more original videos. I think it changed drastically ever since Google took over. I still love YouTube though and it's my favorite Social Networking site but I'd do anything to go back to the original layout form it's earlier days.

I think, Youtube is still much better today than in its early days. Just think of the bad quality of the videos. I doubt that anyone would like to have that situation back. The 'innocent days' like you call them also include a smaller selection of videos - great? I don't think so.

Written By: Howard on 12/11/12 at 2:24 pm

I miss when Youtube didn't have ads everywhere you look.

Now they have ads before something starts.  ::)

Written By: amjikloviet on 12/11/12 at 2:46 pm

I do miss Youtube's earlier days. It seemed like there were better videos back then too.

Written By: Howard on 12/12/12 at 7:52 am

Now they've changed the page again.

Written By: Howard on 12/01/14 at 2:32 pm

Now YouTube wants to become a social media site where you can discuss and comment on videos.

Written By: Slim95 on 12/01/14 at 2:38 pm

Now YouTube wants to become a social media site where you can discuss and comment on videos.

YouTube has always been a social media site since the start. But it's always been by far my favourite social media site out of all of them and still is.

Written By: Howard on 12/01/14 at 3:01 pm

YouTube has always been a social media site since the start. But it's always been by far my favourite social media site out of all of them and still is.

same here, I enjoy where you can comment on videos.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 12/02/14 at 10:24 am

How can you seriously miss the early days of Youtube when it was nothing else than a collection of short, low quality clips? Nowadays I can spend hours on Youtube and it is so entertaining. There is so much available... let it just be complete old movies and TV shows from the 70s, 80s and 90s.

Youtube and some other video websites have basically replaced my TV.

Written By: Slim95 on 12/02/14 at 10:26 am

How can you seriously miss the early days of Youtube when it was nothing else than a collection of short, low quality clips? Nowadays I can spend hours on Youtube and it is so entertaining. There is so much available... let it just be complete old movies and TV shows from the 70s, 80s and 90s.

That's true. I guess it's just that feeling of nostalgia.

Written By: Howard on 12/02/14 at 2:32 pm

Youtube and some other video websites have basically replaced my TV.

Now on YouTube you can listen to a full music album or watch a full video. YouTube has become more of a TV nowadays.

Written By: Ripley on 03/01/15 at 1:15 pm

I miss all the good parodies, original ideas, the fun stuff, no ads, not as many flame wars...

Written By: Howard on 03/01/15 at 1:21 pm

I do miss the early days of YouTube way before it became a social media outlet.

Written By: Catherine91UK on 03/01/15 at 1:42 pm

I miss having no adverts or banners saying 'click to see the latest video' plastered over the video you're currently watching!

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 03/01/15 at 2:41 pm

I do miss the early days of YouTube way before it became a social media outlet.

For some reason, I never considered Youtube a real social media website. It's a huge resource for videos, and that's it. I am not even logged in, when I watch videos on Youtube.

Written By: Howard on 03/01/15 at 3:02 pm

I miss having no adverts or banners saying 'click to see the latest video' plastered over the video you're currently watching!

I hate that.

Written By: Slim95 on 03/01/15 at 5:16 pm

For some reason, I never considered Youtube a real social media website. It's a huge resource for videos, and that's it. I am not even logged in, when I watch videos on Youtube.

It is a social media site and it's my favourite.

Written By: annimal on 03/01/15 at 5:37 pm

Youtube is too big for me to remember how to use these days.  here is the only place I use right now.  I might find some cancer or brain tumor one to try, but I ended up here because I use to do parodies.

Written By: Howard on 03/02/15 at 1:18 pm

It is a social media site and it's my favourite.

I enjoy sometimes conversing with other members on YouTube.

Written By: GH1996 on 03/04/15 at 12:01 am

Lol I remember when I discovered Youtube as a kid. Became addicted to it ever since

Me too, I remember finding out about it watching the news with my dad.

I ran downstairs immediately to the computer to search cat videos, I this this was about 2006 or 07

Written By: Slim95 on 03/04/15 at 12:15 am

Me too, I remember finding out about it watching the news with my dad.

I ran downstairs immediately to the computer to search cat videos, I this this was about 2006 or 07

Ah yes, so much nostalgia. I had a huge interest in airplanes at that time circa 2007 when I was 12 years old and I remember spending countless hours at night on the Desktop watching airplane videos while my parents were asleep. So much nostalgia of the early days of YouTube.

Written By: Ripley on 03/04/15 at 11:21 am

I enjoy sometimes conversing with other members on YouTube.
I do to but its not as fun like the old days, especially with people's complaints and the rude comments about a simple video even.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 03/04/15 at 12:30 pm

Ah yes, so much nostalgia. I had a huge interest in airplanes at that time circa 2007 when I was 12 years old and I remember spending countless hours at night on the Desktop watching airplane videos while my parents were asleep. So much nostalgia of the early days of YouTube.

I still like to watch airplane videos. There's a lot more available nowadays ;)

Written By: Howard on 03/04/15 at 1:32 pm

I do to but its not as fun like the old days, especially with people's complaints and the rude comments about a simple video even.

and you rated someone with stars.

Written By: nally on 01/21/23 at 5:58 pm

Agreed on both counts.

I don’t have an account there, btw. I just go there to view vids (sometimes funny clips) and listen to music.

Written By: Howard on 01/22/23 at 2:45 am

Agreed on both counts.

I don’t have an account there, btw. I just go there to view vids (sometimes funny clips) and listen to music.

I've had an account with YouTube since the day it launched it's channel and I've been hooked with music videos ever since.

Written By: nally on 02/24/23 at 11:39 pm

I've had an account with YouTube since the day it launched it's channel and I've been hooked with music videos ever since.

I don't have one, but I can use my Gmail sign-in if I want to vote up or down for a video clip.

Written By: Howard on 02/25/23 at 2:46 am

I don't have one, but I can use my Gmail sign-in if I want to vote up or down for a video clip.

You can also subscribe to a channel and they send you videos every once in a while when they make new videos.

Written By: Big Smoke on 03/22/23 at 6:58 pm

were the early days of youtube that good as everyone says I wasn't allowed to use YT until 2016 and by then that when youtube started to get a lot of hate I always get nostalgic for watching late 00's/early 10's let's play videos (even though I have never watched when they were uploaded) because kids TV was sh!te but I know our mom wanted to keep us away from "the bad things" understandable I mean seriously? watch some of these vids of blokes playing VG's the swear like sailors  and I thought swearing was funny AF growing up. ah youtube.....

Written By: Howard on 03/23/23 at 2:47 am

were the early days of youtube that good as everyone says I wasn't allowed to use YT until 2016 and by then that when youtube started to get a lot of hate I always get nostalgic for watching late 00's/early 10's let's play videos (even though I have never watched when they were uploaded) because kids TV was sh!te but I know our mom wanted to keep us away from "the bad things" understandable I mean seriously? watch some of these vids of blokes playing VG's the swear like sailors  and I thought swearing was funny AF growing up. ah youtube.....

I think in my opinion the early days were pretty good before the changes began.

Written By: nally on 03/26/23 at 3:16 pm

I think in my opinion the early days were pretty good before the changes began.

I know, some of the changes were not favorable to many people.

Written By: Howard on 03/27/23 at 2:45 am

I know, some of the changes were not favorable to many people.

I think this was back in the late 2000's, early 2010's.

Written By: joeman on 04/12/23 at 3:42 pm

I made an account when Youtube first started and I was able to post videos that came off directly from TV shows at the time.  Since whenever(2009-2010 ish), Youtube have been tracking down people who post certain shows with a flag of "copyright infridgement".  BS I TELL YOU, BS!!

This brings me back. 

Written By: Howard on 04/13/23 at 2:34 am

I miss the days when there wasn't many commercial interruptions.  ::)

Check for new replies or respond here...