inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Why were early 00s so cheesy?

Written By: famemonster99 on 08/31/11 at 4:07 pm

I'm 12 so I barely remember them, but i was looking at some past music videos and listening to music and everything seemed soo weird. 2000 and 2001 were strange. 8-P

Subject: Re: Why were early 00s so cheesy?

Written By: King Tut on 08/31/11 at 4:56 pm

What's strange about it?

Written By: whistledog on 08/31/11 at 5:39 pm

The reason the early 00s were so cheesy was because that big giant tripped and spilled his cheese sauce everywhere. 

Written By: Emman on 08/31/11 at 5:43 pm

Yeah Limp Bizkit style nu-metal and teenpop are definitely chessy in my opinion, if you want early '00s chessiness in it's full glory, watch Butterfly by Crazytown. ;D

Written By: 1PlayerD on 08/31/11 at 10:42 pm

Didn't seem so cheesy to me  ???
Also how could you even remember the early 2000s if your 12??? O.0

Usually you would be able to start remembering things by 5 sometimes even 4.

Written By: Mat1991 on 09/01/11 at 12:48 am

Did you listen to a lot of pop songs such as those from Britney Spears and N*Sync? Those songs were holdovers from the teen pop era that was hugely popular from the late '90s until the early '00s. Then emo and "crunk" music began charting and teen pop's influence in the music scene started dwindling.

With that said, I wonder if you also think of late '00s/early '10s music as cheesy, because I sure do.  ;D

Written By: Howard on 09/01/11 at 7:05 am

The reason the early 00s were so cheesy was because that big giant tripped and spilled his cheese sauce everywhere. 

;D

Written By: Creeder on 09/01/11 at 1:12 pm

Yeah, the early 2000s to mid-2000s are the new "cheesy" era and there is backlash against it.
Buts its was my time so I love it!
Late 90s-early 2000s forever!

Written By: 1PlayerD on 09/01/11 at 2:23 pm

Yeah, the early 2000s to mid-2000s are the new "cheesy" era and there is backlash against it.

I see nothing cheesy in it even if I look back O:

Maybe I'm not looking hard enough.
I was more of a 24/7 console gamer then, so I didn't do much lol
PS9 should come out this decade, definitely.

Written By: Brian06 on 09/01/11 at 2:52 pm

LOL and Katy Perry, Lady GaGa, Ke$ha, LMFAO aren't cheesy AT ALL? I think 2011 is definitely more obviously cheesy than really anything since like 1990-1991 but I won't deny that the earlier 2000s certainly do have their own kind of cheesiness with teen pop, nu metal/post-grunge, crunk.

Written By: JaxRhapsody on 09/01/11 at 3:22 pm

I'm 12 so I barely remember them, but i was looking at some past music videos and listening to music and everything seemed soo weird. 2000 and 2001 were strange. 8-P
You're a kid, you don't know what you're talking about. Although, probably because they wanted to be like the 90's so bad.

Written By: kitkat1991 on 09/01/11 at 3:30 pm

1999-2001 best period ever!  :D

Written By: joeman on 09/01/11 at 6:09 pm

I honestly think the early 00s were much less cheesy than say...the early 90s(though the Disney films in that era were great).  Try looking up Problem Child and you would know what I mean.

Written By: 00s_teen on 09/04/11 at 6:59 am

The very early 00s were cheesy because they were like the 90s. Things got a lot better in mid 2001-early 2002, when the cessy pop 90s fads died out. 2002-2005 were the best years of the 00s, culture-wise. 2006-2011 are cheesier than them.

Written By: 00s_teen on 09/04/11 at 8:58 am

Just want to add that people will probably never feel any nostalgia for the early 2000s because of 9/11 casting its shadow over that period. Even years like 2003, 2004 and even 2005, that are quite distant to 9/11 are disregarded. While 2000 and very early 2001 were very similar to the 90s, so usually they are grouped together with the 1990s. And probably that time will never be cool again. Sure 9/11 was a terrible event, but I don't think the good music that was released in 2002, 2003 and 2004 need to be ignored because of it.

I mean the debuts of Avril Lavigne and Vanessa Carlton were far more adult and mature stuff than what was released in 1998- early 2001. 'Plastic' pop was not that plastic any more. Yet, people are afraid and feel guilty to feel any nostalgia for movies, TV shows, music and pop culture from circa 2002-2004, due to the fact that those years followed the terrible 9/11 event and the war in Iraq started in 2003.

I think in the 2002-2004 time frame singers were more serious than during the late 90s/early 2001 teen pop era. They had a more mature sound i that era. All that 'mature' pop era ended in 2005, when it started shifting to a less serious sound. In 2006-7 the likes of Miley Cyrus, Selena Gomez and Jonas Brothers gained fame and recognition. That trend reached its culmination with the discovery of Justin Bieber and the following Bieber mania. Meanwhile autotune's popularity rapidly increased. It was just a matter of time for singers like Rebecca Black to follow. ;)

Written By: john on 09/18/11 at 9:17 pm

they weren't cheesy, they are pretty much the same as now, since i was a teen then, and now mid 20's. I honestly don't see much a difference 8)

Written By: Emman on 09/19/11 at 4:01 pm

they weren't cheesy, they are pretty much the same as now, since i was a teen then, and now mid 20's. I honestly don't see much a difference 8)

I seriously think you'd have to be a little delusional to believe that, technology has changed so much since 2000-2002, and music artist from the '09-'11 period like Lady Gaga would NEVER have been successful in 2001. In fact most of the music from then is outdated as of now, mainstream rock music is even less popular now than it was then.

Written By: Brian06 on 09/19/11 at 4:49 pm

I seriously think you'd have to be a little delusional to believe that, technology has changed so much since 2000-2002, and music artist from the '09-'11 period like Lady Gaga would NEVER have been successful in 2001. In fact most of the music from then is outdated as of now, mainstream rock music is even less popular now than it was then.

Yeah I think the early '00s are way different. People had CRT monitors, flip phones, fashion was pretty plain, music scene was rap and rock oriented (think Puddle of Mudd and Ja Rule). Anything 2005 and before is clearly different from now.

Written By: Howard on 09/20/11 at 6:37 am

Yeah I think the early '00s are way different. People had CRT monitors, flip phones, fashion was pretty plain, music scene was rap and rock oriented (think Puddle of Mudd and Ja Rule). Anything 2005 and before is clearly different from now.

and the late 2000's had the laptops,Ipads,Ipods,cell phones,facebook twitter and other stuff.

Written By: Mat1991 on 09/20/11 at 9:09 am

I remember flip phones. It seemed that they stayed pretty common until as late as 2007 or 2008. At least at my high school they did.

Written By: Milkof1996 on 09/20/11 at 4:59 pm

I remember flip phones. It seemed that they stayed pretty common until as late as 2007 or 2008. At least at my high school they did.

Do you remember those Nokia bar phones with the Black and Green screen? Snake was easily the most addictive game back then.

Written By: Howard on 09/20/11 at 7:22 pm

I think flip phones died out,now people are using blackberries and Ipads as a telephone.

Written By: Emman on 09/20/11 at 9:07 pm

I think the addition of tablet computers adds a little more "sci fi" flavor to the early '10s compared with the early '00s. 10 years ago in pop culture, teen-pop was dying off, nu-metal peaked, reality tv was booming, and the iPod was introduced to the world.

Written By: Mat1991 on 09/20/11 at 9:13 pm

Do you remember those Nokia bar phones with the Black and Green screen? Snake was easily the most addictive game back then.

I think my very first cell phone was somewhat like that. It couldn't text or take pictures, all it could really do was make phone calls.

Written By: Howard on 09/21/11 at 6:38 am

I think the addition of tablet computers adds a little more "sci fi" flavor to the early '10s compared with the early '00s. 10 years ago in pop culture, teen-pop was dying off, nu-metal peaked, reality tv was booming, and the iPod was introduced to the world.

and now today in pop culture people want everything in a cell phone,one that takes pictures,watch tv,talking,play games,music and facebook/twitter.

Written By: joeman on 09/21/11 at 8:55 pm

Early 2000s PC Tablets....

http://mark.rehorst.com/Fujitsu_ST3500/index.1.jpg

Written By: Brian06 on 09/21/11 at 9:33 pm

I remember the old Windows XP tablets and Windows Mobile smartphones in the early 2000s. I had a Windows Mobile phone in 2004 for a while even. The tablet concept kind of died for a while in the late '00s, then Apple comes out with their iPad in 2010 but it's still the only really successful tablet.

Written By: tnf on 09/23/11 at 2:52 am

I liked them. Because of the flap, they seemed more durable compared to the current phones.

(Yeah, I'm one of those persons who keeps her phone as long as possible, despite changing trends.)

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/23/11 at 12:37 pm

Cheesecake never tasted better during the early 00s.

Written By: Labella1991 on 09/23/11 at 5:57 pm

I might be biased since i was kid back then, but the culture was seemed very bright and people looked forward to the future. I'd say 2000-2001 was the  best imo. 2002-2003 was decent. Plus Britney  Spears made the early 00s fun for me so yeah lol ;)

Written By: Brian06 on 09/24/11 at 10:01 pm

I had a RAZR in 2006-7 until I got the first iPhone when it came out in the summer of 2007. It's funny how mobile phones were getting smaller for years until the smartphone boom now they're getting bigger and bigger.

Written By: batfan2005 on 10/12/11 at 2:27 pm

Yeah, 2006 is when everything started changing to the way it is now, and not necessarily for the better. I would say 2006 onward is cheesier than the early 00's. There were a few positive changes though, such as advances in technology. 2006 was the beginning of Blu-Ray (and the now defunct HD-DVD). Also the PS3 and Wii came out that year. Another positive change is with women's fashion, the short skirts/dresses with hose/tights look started coming back in style, at least in the States (I don't think that look was ever out of style elsewhere in the world). Basically the women started looking sexy and lady-like again. I didn't care for the boho-chic look of the mid 00's, where women were wearing large rags and passing them off as dresses or long skirts, and kept their legs bare and wore flip-flops.

Written By: Brian06 on 10/12/11 at 3:55 pm

Yeah, 2006 is when everything started changing to the way it is now, and not necessarily for the better. I would say 2006 onward is cheesier than the early 00's. There were a few positive changes though, such as advances in technology. 2006 was the beginning of Blu-Ray (and the now defunct HD-DVD). Also the PS3 and Wii came out that year. Another positive change is with women's fashion, the short skirts/dresses with hose/tights look started coming back in style, at least in the States (I don't think that look was ever out of style elsewhere in the world). Basically the women started looking sexy and lady-like again. I didn't care for the boho-chic look of the mid 00's, where women were wearing large rags and passing them off as dresses or long skirts, and kept their legs bare and wore flip-flops.

Yeah I agree about 2006.

Written By: fredrickthe94guy on 10/15/11 at 7:40 am

OH MY GOD I SECOND THAT!!!!

i love it back then!!!! it is when we actually last have true  a childhood....

but i understand it was cheesy

talking cheesy stuff... boybands, girlbands, pop group like S Club 7!!!! that's cheesy

but i love S Club 7 now and i miss them :p

yeah anything from 2006 onwards is not even cheesy... its turning to spoiled....

so may it be cheesy... its better than spoiled :p....

Written By: Labella1991 on 10/15/11 at 2:46 pm

OH MY GOD I SECOND THAT!!!!

i love it back then!!!! it is when we actually last have true  a childhood....

but i understand it was cheesy

talking cheesy stuff... boybands, girlbands, pop group like S Club 7!!!! that's cheesy

but i love S Club 7 now and i miss them :p

yeah anything from 2006 onwards is not even cheesy... its turning to spoiled....

so may it be cheesy... its better than spoiled :p....

Agreed! I loved S Club 7 and the A teens! :D :D

Written By: Howard on 10/15/11 at 7:19 pm

Remember when the radio played Las Ketchup "The Ketchup Song",man that was cheesy.

Written By: fredrickthe94guy on 10/16/11 at 1:29 am

Remember when the radio played Las Ketchup "The Ketchup Song",man that was cheesy.

OH MY GOD THEY PLAY THAT SONG EVERYWHERE!!!

so much memories XD xD :p :p

Written By: Howard on 10/16/11 at 6:29 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFzyYYZsxGc

Well Fred you can re-live it once more.

Written By: Shiv on 11/05/11 at 6:01 am

Other than Nu Metal, boy bands and that terrible frosted-spiky hairstyle that every guy had I don't think it was that cheesy. The early 10s are way cheesier.

Written By: fredrickthe94guy on 11/05/11 at 7:07 am

well fashion actually looks better than early 00s... it's one of the few things that have improved in this era :p

Check for new replies or respond here...