inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: You're a 2000s kid if......

Written By: LittleMonster1997 on 10/28/11 at 5:26 pm

Since I've seen many "your a 90s kid if" topics around the net, and people seem to bash us 2000s kids childhood, so  I've decided to do one for the 2000s kids.  :)

Your a 2000s kid if you remember:

Spongebob
Drake and Josh
Ipods
cell phones
Amanda Show
Rugrats
Hey Arnold
Iphones
Lady Gaga
Justin Bieber
Jonas Brothers
Myspace
facebook
Touch screens
HD TV!

If anyone feels like i've missed anything, feel free to add stuff  :)

Subject: Re: You're a 2000s kid if......

Written By: whistledog on 10/28/11 at 6:25 pm

If you have to "remember" those things, then for a 2000s kid, you have quite the memory loss

Written By: Mat1991 on 10/28/11 at 7:16 pm

You're a 2000s kid if the numbers 9-1-1 invoke mental images of jet liners crashing into the Twin Towers instead of a number to contact in case of an emergency.

You're a 2000s kid if you don't even remember the last time you saw a hand-drawn animated film in theaters.

You're a 2000s kids if you received an iPod for your eighth birthday.

"Payphone? What's that?"  ;D

"VHS? What's that?"

You're a 2000s kid if every movie you see in theaters must be in 3D.

You're a 2000s kid if you learned how to use a computer before you learned the alphabet.

Written By: Howard on 10/28/11 at 7:20 pm

If you have to "remember" those things, then for a 2000s kid, you have quite the memory loss

;D

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/29/11 at 4:48 am

"My brain huts!"

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/29/11 at 4:50 am

Since I've seen many "your a 90s kid if" topics around the net, and people seem to bash us 2000s kids childhood, so  I've decided to do one for the 2000s kids.  :)

Spongebob
Drake and Josh
Ipods
cell phones
Amanda Show
Rugrats
Hey Arnold
Iphones
Lady Gaga
Justin Bieber
Jonas Brothers
Myspace
facebook
Touch screens
HD TV!

You do not have to be a 2000s kid to be aware of these items, I am well above that era in age and I wish I have never heard of some of the listing.

Written By: Howard on 10/29/11 at 6:27 am

You do not have to be a 2000s kid to be aware of these items, I am well above that era in age and I wish I have never heard of some of the listing.

I agree, you don't have to be a 2000's kid.

Written By: 1PlayerD on 10/29/11 at 8:34 am

Spongebob
Drake and Josh
Ipods
cell phones
Amanda Show
Rugrats
Hey Arnold
Iphones
Lady Gaga
Justin Bieber
Jonas Brothers
Myspace
facebook
Touch screens
HD TV!

I don't think you realized but you basically bashed 2000s kids by adding the following

MYSPACE
FACEBOOK
TOUCHSCREENS
HD TV
SPONGEBOB
JUSTIN BEIBER
LADY GAGA
IPHONES
JONAS BROTHERS

And the 2000s didn't always have HD TV, in the early and I think even mid, or at least a bit, didn't have HD at first.
It wasn't ALL about the internet, at least not in my case.
And the PS2 should of been added. :P
You should know what I just suggested. As well as remembered what I just added.

Written By: Labella1991 on 10/29/11 at 1:00 pm

ummmm....... yeah.........

Written By: Luckystar on 10/29/11 at 5:20 pm

I don't agree with that list.

Cellphones: I remember using one back in 1997
Rugrats: mid to late 90's
Hey arnold: late 90's
Justin Bieber: early 10's

I'm a 90's kid (born in 1988). If you're making a list, at least be original. ::)

Anyway.... IMO most of the 00's things in your list suck... It doesn't surprise me why most people bash your 00's childhood. ;D

Written By: Howard on 10/29/11 at 7:30 pm

I don't think you realized but you basically bashed 2000s kids by adding the following

MYSPACE
FACEBOOK
TOUCHSCREENS
HD TV
SPONGEBOB
JUSTIN BEIBER
LADY GAGA
IPHONES
JONAS BROTHERS

And the 2000s didn't always have HD TV, in the early and I think even mid, or at least a bit, didn't have HD at first.
It wasn't ALL about the internet, at least not in my case.
And the PS2 should of been added. :P
You should know what I just suggested. As well as remembered what I just added.

I have a PS2 and I'm 37 so does that make me a 2000's kid?  ;)

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/30/11 at 1:21 am

I don't agree with that list.

Cellphones: I remember using one back in 1997

Even earlier!

Written By: Howard on 10/30/11 at 6:23 am

Even earlier!

cellphones were just about to get smaller going into the 2000's.

Written By: Creeder on 10/30/11 at 1:47 pm

I was born in 1989 and so i'm a 90's kid and 2000's teen.
And as a teen in that time I remember:
- 9/11, Bush, War on Terror
- Reallity TV
- Rise of internet culture and social networking
- Eminem & Britney Spears. Hip-hop, urban & post-grunge music dominating the charts
- Disney/Pixar
- Decline of music tv, music videos and album sales
- World of Warcraft
- GSM's and iPods (or mp3 players)
- Windows XP
- Lord of the rings trilogy

Written By: 1PlayerD on 10/30/11 at 1:49 pm

I have a PS2 and I'm 37 so does that make me a 2000's kid?  ;)

Well of course anyone could of gotten a PS2 at the time! :P
I'm saying it was something of the 2000s.

Written By: joeman on 10/30/11 at 9:49 pm

And as a teen in that time I remember:
- 9/11, Bush, War on Terror
Check
- Reallity TV
Check
- Rise of internet culture and social networking
Not true, there was Internet Culture in the 90s, and Social Networking was big as far as Chat Rooms
- Eminem & Britney Spears. Hip-hop, urban & post-grunge music dominating the charts
Check, but most of those where happening in 98
- Disney/Pixar
Toy Story lead the way
- Decline of music tv, music videos and album sales
Check, especially with music videos
- World of Warcraft
Check
- GSM's and iPods (or mp3 players)
Those were early 00s stuff
- Windows XP
IMO much better than Windows 95 and 98
- Lord of the rings trilogy
Don't forget Star Trek trilogies

Written By: yelimsexa on 10/31/11 at 8:45 am

-You never remember a time before the Internet! (This applies to late '90s kids as well).
-You've never seen what a cassette tape looks like.
-Silly Bandz!
-You mostly appreciate G2 versions of classic '80s stuff: Transformers, He-Man, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
-You don't remember when MTV played videos, and never new a time before reality TV was mainstream.
-You've never seen a typewriter in your entire life!
-You've never owned a board game except for your parents' collection.

Written By: 1PlayerD on 10/31/11 at 3:01 pm

-You never remember a time before the Internet! (This applies to late '90s kids as well).
-Silly Bandz!
-You mostly appreciate G2 versions of classic '80s stuff: Transformers, He-Man, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
-You don't remember when MTV played videos, and never new a time before reality TV was mainstream.

Iv seen a Cassette tape before.
I'v owned a board game.
What the hell is Silly Bandz? (Oh never mind, but I never used that stuff as a kid, in fact, it wasn't even around.)
G2?
Would you even see a type writer in the 90s, or even in the 80s?
And the internet has been around TECHNICALLY since maybe the 60s, and I don't mean like the internet now, I mean like in development, and or a use like in Military. It was used to send something, like a kind of message.

Written By: whistledog on 10/31/11 at 10:42 pm

You're a 2000s kid if......

You start a thread called "You're a 2000s kid if......"

Written By: Howard on 11/01/11 at 6:29 am

You start a thread called "You're a 2000s kid if......"

;D

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/01/11 at 1:33 pm

If a picture paints a thousand words?

Written By: 1986baby on 11/02/11 at 4:34 am

...when you were not at least 13 by December 31st, 2004.
...when you still did a lot of kid's stuff in the 2000-2005 era.
...when you didn't start your adult life in the 00's.
...when your childhood was surrounded by the internet/cell phones being an everyday thing.
...when you were not allowed to drive a car by the end of the '00s decade.
...when your kid books (bought before adolecsence) contain internet addresses (e.g. from the publisher).
...when you own more kid's cd's than cassettes.
...when you own more kid's dvd's than VHS-cassettes.

-> then you're a 00's kid

Written By: Nota00skid on 11/02/11 at 9:59 pm

...you want to be a 90's kid even though you're not.  ;D

Written By: fredrickthe94guy on 11/05/11 at 5:40 am

I think your a true 2000s kid if you:

- Don't remember life before 9/11
- Don't remember cassetes or VHS
- Don't remember MTV playing music videos
- Do not have Nostaligia for late 1990s
- Don't remember how to use payphone
- Consider PS2 as a gaming console of your babyhood/early childhood and never remember playing any games from previous console before that
- Don't remember using windows 98
- Remember Spongebob and Pokemon all your life
- Do not remember anything before year 2000
- Don't remember animations in Cinema that wasn't from Pixar or something alike
- Still in Elementary school or Middle school at the moment
- Don't know what a walkman is
- Only know Michael Jackson better after his death or known him for being suspected of child molestation :D
- Do not remember the 1990s at all
- Started grade 7 in 2010
- Don't remember when mobile phone and computers were only for rich people who can afford it
- Always know the world being hit by major disasters
- Your first memory of any war was the Iraq war
- Lady Gaga, Justin Bieber, Katy Perry to name few... are celebrities that was most talked about during your childhood

Written By: Marzipan on 11/08/11 at 12:27 am

Would you even see a type writer in the 90s, or even in the 80s?

Lol. Yes.  I was born in 1988 and very clearly remember many typewriters.  We used them when I began school, and they were in regular use for quick letter or memo-writing in every office building I was familiar with well into the mid-90s (my mother took me to work a lot!).  You obviously can't recall the time when computers took ten thousand years to perform the sorts of function that now take only a second!  Typewriters were far more efficient for many purposes in that time.

Written By: 1PlayerD on 11/08/11 at 2:02 pm

Lol. Yes.  I was born in 1988 and very clearly remember many typewriters.  We used them when I began school, and they were in regular use for quick letter or memo-writing in every office building I was familiar with well into the mid-90s (my mother took me to work a lot!).  You obviously can't recall the time when computers took ten thousand years to perform the sorts of function that now take only a second!  Typewriters were far more efficient for many purposes in that time.

Wow, I thought those things were used from whenever they were made, til the 60s or 70s :P

You know, that's one of the only facts with the exception of a few i'v seen in this thread. So far its not a good thread.

Its all hate, nothing else, and misleading facts from people who don't quite get what their saying, and honestly, I don't give a damn what decade you were born into and or experienced, its all life, not a matter of how easy or how hard it is. :P

I saw on fredrickthe94guy's post that 2000 kids don't remember VHS, I do recall some VHS still being sold til about the mid 2000s. Also him saying only 2000 kids play the PS2 and nothing else before that, well PS1 was still in wide use in some places, maybe not a lot of places, but still were. They were still being sold til about 2006.

Or 1986baby's post saying that they don't remember a time before cellular phones and the internet, if you were born in the 90s or even 80s, you probably don't anyway. Same with the VHS and Casette tapes, some kids who may of not have a lot of money earned may have had more of that anyway. (In fact, the internet has been around longer than just the 90s, though in private use, if you do the right research.)

Those are only a few things being pointed out, but come on guys, be realistic here. We all have different experiences in life, no matter when we were born. A kid born IN 2000 could of seen a typewriter, you can't just say they didn't, that's just like how a 12 year old acts honestly, they ASSUME.
You just don't know.

I hate to sound like I'm trying to piss people off here, which I don't mean to, but your going too far on what you say to the point where it can be disproved.
Its almost sounding a lot more like trolling, than just trying to prove something. For one reason, I have seen once or twice in this thread that your a 2000s kid if you don't remember the late 90's, well of course, but that sounds a lot more like an attempt to troll, that's like saying you didn't experience the 80's in a 90's forum, its an obvious fact. If you didn't experience the 2000s as a kid, then I suppose you have no saying whatsoever on saying on how they experienced life.

Written By: fredrickthe94guy on 11/08/11 at 5:20 pm

2000s kid refers to kids who only experienced 2000s culture and beyond in their childhood which only kinda started in 2003... so this apply to kids born in 1998 - 2002 in precise

if u remember those years... ur not a 2000s kid or atleast partially

i notice that there's an attitude difference with kids born in 1996 and 1997....the 1996 born kids tend to follow gen Y traits whereas 1997 tend to follow more gen Z traits....

Written By: joeman on 11/08/11 at 6:19 pm

Or 1986baby's post saying that they don't remember a time before cellular phones and the internet, if you were born in the 90s or even 80s, you probably don't anyway. Same with the VHS and Casette tapes, some kids who may of not have a lot of money earned may have had more of that anyway. (In fact, the internet has been around longer than just the 90s, though in private use, if you do the right research.)

I disagree with that statement.  I was 11 years old in 1996, when the WWW really took off, so I do remember a time without the Internet.  Heck, there weren't Internet in school until I was in HS.  You are right though about the Internet....it was popular thoughout colleges in the 80s.

Written By: 1PlayerD on 11/08/11 at 8:18 pm

2000s kid refers to kids who only experienced 2000s culture and beyond in their childhood which only kinda started in 2003... so this apply to kids born in 1998 - 2002 in precise

if u remember those years... ur not a 2000s kid or atleast partially

i notice that there's an attitude difference with kids born in 1996 and 1997....the 1996 born kids tend to follow gen Y traits whereas 1997 tend to follow more gen Z traits....

No, that just depends on how their treated, and how exactly they grew up, non the less, anyone born in 97 is still gen Y.
I'v seen a lot of people born in 97 act more Gen Y than Gen Z. But that's around the area where I am. We all have opinions on things like that. So I cannot complain.

I disagree with that statement.  I was 11 years old in 1996, when the WWW really took off, so I do remember a time without the Internet.  Heck, there weren't Internet in school until I was in HS.  You are right though about the Internet....it was popular thoughout colleges in the 80s.

For me in the early 2000s, I didn't really know much of the internet myself.

But what I meant when I said that, is for the fact that the technology has been around longer than people think, since about the 60s. It was used if I remember reading right, used to send messages through the military in some form.

Written By: Brian06 on 11/22/11 at 6:09 pm

When I was in elementary school we had old Apple IIgs's and there was like 2 Mac LC's, definitely no internet in school at time just Print Shop Deluxe, Oregon Trail, Kid Pix, Dino Park Tycoon and loud old school dot matrix printers. Yeah my school didn't have internet when I was in middle school even, I remember they were talking about getting it around 1999-2000 but it didn't happen till I was out of there and in high school. They did upgrade to blueberry iMacs in the year 2000 I remember, during my 8th grade year. Those felt so modern back then compared to the old beige macs they had.

Written By: DJ Blaze on 02/10/12 at 2:52 pm

-Silly Bandz!

I grew up in the 2000s and I must say I disagree with all of these :P

- I can remember back before the internet, I had my PS1 :D
- I own both VHS and audio cassette tapes.
- I've seen Silly Bandz before, never got the appeal of them.
- Although I definitely prefer the 2002 He-Man to the 80s He-Man, the old-school Transformers and ThunderCats were overall better than the reboots.
- I vaguely remember when MTV played videos.
- I used to own a typewriter, and
- I still own several board games.

Written By: 1986baby on 02/11/12 at 3:59 pm

- I can remember back before the internet, I had my PS1 :D
- I own both VHS and audio cassette tapes.

So when were you born? If you remember a time when nearly nobody talked about the WWW you have to remember at least the first half of the 1990's (which was basically my peak childhood btw.). If you only can remember from 2000 on, your were fully inside the WWW-age. I don't make differences between the early 2000's and the late 2000's in this case. The WWW was there in 2000 and it was as easily accessable as it is today - it's just an advanced version what we use today.

I don't wonder that you own VHS and cassette tapes. They are still in the stores today and at least in the first half of the 2000's I still used both systems quite often (for recording TV for example.)

Written By: 1986baby on 02/11/12 at 4:11 pm

When we're talking about the internet we mean the WWW by that: The internet as an EASILY accessable gadget to look for information, download, watching videos, post in forums etc..... ON WEBPAGES with just a FEW clicks. 80's internet has nothing to do with the stuff we're using today.

People born in the 80's indeed remember those times before the WWW.

Same goes for the cell phone technology. Having cell phones in the early to mid 1990's was very special and nearly nobody had them. (early-mid) 80's born people will remember.

Written By: DJ Blaze on 02/11/12 at 6:56 pm

So when were you born? If you remember a time when nearly nobody talked about the WWW you have to remember at least the first half of the 1990's (which was basically my peak childhood btw.). If you only can remember from 2000 on, your were fully inside the WWW-age. I don't make differences between the early 2000's and the late 2000's in this case. The WWW was there in 2000 and it was as easily accessable as it is today - it's just an advanced version what we use today.

I don't wonder that you own VHS and cassette tapes. They are still in the stores today and at least in the first half of the 2000's I still used both systems quite often (for recording TV for example.)

Written By: Howard on 02/11/12 at 7:42 pm

Same goes for the cell phone technology. Having cell phones in the early to mid 1990's was very special and nearly nobody had them. (early-mid) 80's born people will remember.

Cell phones back then (late 90's) were getting smaller in size.

Written By: 1986baby on 02/12/12 at 4:05 am

Cell phones back then (late 90's) were getting smaller in size.

You're right. But even then it was not common for everybody to run around with one. Today and for most of the mid-late 2000s it was normal to ask somebody for his mobile number because everybody is expecting that the other one got a cell phone - unlike in the late 90's and earliest 2000's.

Written By: 1986baby on 02/12/12 at 4:20 am

You might have some memories of a time when the internet was still not very common, but that was your little kid time. Little kids normally aren't into the internet and don't really understand what it means. You were 5/6 in 2000 and that's an age when you normally really know what's going on.

Like I said before - in the environment where I live (rural area in Central Europe), from about 1999 on you could hear the term 'internet' and 'www' EVERYwhere. I doubt that somebody born in 1994 will clearly remember a time when nearly nobody knew about it.

BTW: I don't want to say that your childhood must have been very bad just because of the internet being around... internet is not everything!

Written By: fredrickthe94guy on 02/15/12 at 11:48 pm

- I vaguely remember when MTV played videos.

Vaguely?? I remember clearly when MTV play music videos and only discuss stuff about music :p I remember Madonna's "Frozen" back from 98/97 and all those late 90s song played on MTV

and I am about as old as you are (1994)

Written By: yelimsexa on 02/16/12 at 12:29 pm

Also:

-You only knew Whitney Houston as a drug addict (for the '10s kids, it will be her death).
-You remember going to preschool in a rounded-style car or Crossover SUV or Hybrid
-Your first video game system was an XBOX, Gameboy Advance, Gamecube, Dreamcast (came out in Sep. 1999 so close enough) or PS2
-The majority of kid-targeted animated movies you saw were rated PG instead of G
-You spent more time on either the video game console or computer than on the TV (late '00s kids)

Written By: fredrickthe94guy on 02/17/12 at 7:16 am

Also:

-You only knew Whitney Houston as a drug addict (for the '10s kids, it will be her death).
-You remember going to preschool in a rounded-style car or Crossover SUV or Hybrid
-Your first video game system was an XBOX, Gameboy Advance, Gamecube, Dreamcast (came out in Sep. 1999 so close enough) or PS2
-The majority of kid-targeted animated movies you saw were rated PG instead of G
-You spent more time on either the video game console or computer than on the TV (late '00s kids)

to add that, only know michael jackson for child molestation case (or his death in 2009) and not familiar with bulky phones

Written By: NotBorninthe90s00s on 02/17/12 at 11:01 am

to add that, only know michael jackson for child molestation case (or his death in 2009) and not familiar with bulky phones

...to add that, when you were born just in 1994.  ;D

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/17/12 at 3:16 pm

...to add that, when you were born just in 1994.  ;D
Where does that put Justin Bieber?

Written By: Howard on 02/17/12 at 7:31 pm

Where does that put Justin Bieber?

He was just a little baby at the time.

Written By: fredrickthe94guy on 02/19/12 at 5:21 am

I'm techinically still part 2000s kid XD as kid age starts from 5 - 12 and in 1999 I was 5 and have fond memories and I do remember michael jackson for his music only before he was accused of his child molestation

Written By: Ashes Of The Wake on 03/13/12 at 2:40 pm

if you played with Yu-Gi-Oh cards and Beyblades

Written By: fredrickthe94guy on 03/13/12 at 5:57 pm

if you played with Yu-Gi-Oh cards and Beyblades

OH MY GOD!!!! SO MANY MEMORIES!!!!! THAT WAS EARLY 00s!!!!

every kid in our school use to trade yu-gi-oh cards and beyblade is a must have!!!! I use to have several myself back in the day OMG!!!

Another thing to add for 2000s kid, remember the time of the beginning of myspace, friendster and birth of youtube

Written By: guest on 03/13/12 at 10:11 pm

Your a 2000s kid If you think E-Mail is dated and if you're starting to think an IPad is too futuristic. XD

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 03/14/12 at 4:54 am

and if you're starting to think an IPad is too futuristic. XD

I don't think so. That fits more to the '90's kids and under since I am starting to think like that; but I have still appreciated early-mid '00's technology.

Written By: guest on 03/14/12 at 3:08 pm

I don't think so. That fits more to the '90's kids and under since I am starting to think like that; but I have still appreciated early-mid '00's technology.

lol as a 2000s kid, I'm fine with Ipods, Facebook, YouTube, Texting, and all other 2000s technology stuff. But as soon as the Ipad came out in 2010, (No longer the 2000s and start of the 2010s) I started to get worried and thought it was too much. XD I think 90s kid might have thought that Facebook and Social Media sites were too futuristic as well.

Written By: Milkof1996 on 03/14/12 at 9:09 pm

OH MY GOD!!!! SO MANY MEMORIES!!!!! THAT WAS EARLY 00s!!!!

every kid in our school use to trade yu-gi-oh cards and beyblade is a must have!!!! I use to have several myself back in the day OMG!!!

Another thing to add for 2000s kid, remember the time of the beginning of myspace, friendster and birth of youtube

Oh God yes! When I was at my babysitter's house, I would play beyblades and yu-gi-oh cards with her children while using their bathtub as a stadium.  We also occasionally played with pokemon cards as well.

Written By: 1990s Kid on 12/09/12 at 5:42 pm

Your're still a kid!!

Written By: belmont22 on 12/10/12 at 7:55 am

I was born in 1990 and I consider myself mostly a 90s kid because I can remember as far back as 1992, but I was definitely still an older kid in the early 2000s.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 12/10/12 at 9:00 am

I was born in 1990 and I consider myself mostly a 90s kid because I can remember as far back as 1992, but I was definitely still an older kid in the early 2000s.

I am sometimes surprised how much of my most memorable childhood actually took place as late as 1997 - which is pretty close to the 2000s; but for some reason, 2000 vs. 1997 always seemed like a bigger gap to me than lets say 2000 vs. 2006. The 'childhood-teen transition' is strange.

Written By: Slim95 on 12/25/12 at 9:47 pm

I am sometimes surprised how much of my most memorable childhood actually took place as late as 1997 - which is pretty close to the 2000s; but for some reason, 2000 vs. 1997 always seemed like a bigger gap to me than lets say 2000 vs. 2006. The 'childhood-teen transition' is strange.

Not to me. 2000 and 2006 feel a lot more different from each other than 1997 and 2000, which do seem different as well but not as a big of a difference 6 years make.

Written By: belmont22 on 12/26/12 at 12:52 am

Yeah I agree. From my personal experience, 2000 seems way more recent than 1997 and not all that different from 2006. I think it's because 1997 had a lot of connections to the early and middle 90s, and even the late 80s while 2000 was mostly connected to the mid 90s upwards.

But as far as new emerging trends, I see almost no difference between 1997 and 2000 and actually only small difference until you get to 2005 when emo and social networking broke which were the first trends that didn't seem like '90s-type fads' to me.

Written By: Slim95 on 12/26/12 at 1:11 am

Yeah I agree. From my personal experience, 2000 seems way more recent than 1997 and not all that different from 2006. I think it's because 1997 had a lot of connections to the early and middle 90s, and even the late 80s while 2000 was mostly connected to the mid 90s upwards.

But as far as new emerging trends, I see almost no difference between 1997 and 2000 and actually only small difference until you get to 2005 when emo and social networking broke which were the first trends that didn't seem like '90s-type fads' to me.

Emo and Social Networking broke more in 2003/2004 than 2005. If you look at cars in 1997 compared to 2000, they look almost exactly the same, but if you look at cars from 2000 compared to 2006, they are very noticeably different. Music has changed a lot as well from 2000 to 2006 where 1997 and 2000 were both focused on Hip Hop and R&B and Teen Pop (some teen pop in 1997) Technology in 2000 was more similar with 1997 as CD's and VHS were still the main thing but in 2006, IPod's, DVD's and more Cell Phones were big as well. In my opinion, I see 2000 having more in common with 1997 than 2006.  :D I do however believe 2000 had way more in common with 2010 than 1990 did.  :P

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 12/26/12 at 2:06 am

Not to me. 2000 and 2006 feel a lot more different from each other than 1997 and 2000, which do seem different as well but not as a big of a difference 6 years make.

Yeah, I believe that you feel like that. But I was talking about my personal experience. For half of 1997 I was still in elementary school and in 2000 I was in Junior High (7th/8th grade - don't know what the exact American equivalent to my school is). In 1997 I turned 11 (kid) and in 2000 I turned 14 (teenager). That's a huge difference and makes the time frame feel bigger than it actually was...

I was not talking about pop culture at all, however I think there are differences between '97 and '00 though - maybe not as big as '00 vs '06. I didn't really want to start a discussion about if 2000 is closer to 1997 or 2006 by the way!

I just realized that you were just 2 in 1997 and 5 in 2000. Do you actually remember those years and saw pop cultural differences?

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 12/26/12 at 2:21 am

Yeah I agree. From my personal experience, 2000 seems way more recent than 1997 and not all that different from 2006.

My comparison was only based on my personal age, so you can't really 'agree' on it. At least not when talking about the era between 1997 and 2000 which was my kid->teen transitional period ;)

Written By: Slim95 on 12/26/12 at 3:27 am

I just realized that you were just 2 in 1997 and 5 in 2000. Do you actually remember those years and saw pop cultural differences?

No but I am a decade and pop culture geek ::)

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 12/26/12 at 10:36 pm

Yeah, I believe that you feel like that. But I was talking about my personal experience. For half of 1997 I was still in elementary school and in 2000 I was in Junior High (7th/8th grade - don't know what the exact American equivalent to my school is). In 1997 I turned 11 (kid) and in 2000 I turned 14 (teenager). That's a huge difference and makes the time frame feel bigger than it actually was...

Very interesting observation. I turned 11 in 1998 and 14 in 2001 and now that I actually think about it, it is really amazing how much bigger the gap between those years seems to me personally than say the gap between 2001 and 2004. In the beginning of 1998 I was still in elementary school, listening to really bad dance music, playing Pokemon on my (sans color) Game Boy, and watching Nickelodeon. By late 2001 I was in high school, listening to really bad Nu Metal music, playing Grand Theft Auto on my PS2, and watching South Park. That gap between late childhood and the early teenage years does seem pretty massive as you get older and start looking back.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 12/27/12 at 3:29 am

Very interesting observation. I turned 11 in 1998 and 14 in 2001 and now that I actually think about it, it is really amazing how much bigger the gap between those years seems to me personally than say the gap between 2001 and 2004. In the beginning of 1998 I was still in elementary school, listening to really bad dance music, playing Pokemon on my (sans color) Game Boy, and watching Nickelodeon. By late 2001 I was in high school, listening to really bad Nu Metal music, playing Grand Theft Auto on my PS2, and watching South Park. That gap between late childhood and the early teenage years does seem pretty massive as you get older and start looking back.

Yes, that's exactly what I mean! I feel the same about 1996 vs. 1999 and 1998 vs. 2001. I don't think it's that much the case when talking about 1994 vs. 1997 (Age 8 vs. 11).

Lol, even the early part of 1998 (11/12) vs. the late part of 1999 (13) feels quite like a gap.
It seems that it really must be typical for that time between being a child and a teenager.

Written By: belmont22 on 12/27/12 at 4:23 am

Oddly, I also lump '01 more with '04 than I do with '98, even though I'm 2-3 years your junior.

Maybe it's because there were more tangible major differences between 1998 and 2001 than there were between 2001 and 04.

PS speaking of South Park, it actually started in August of 1997 but I associate it more with the 2000s because it was incredibly crude for its time and actually still gets good ratings. It's actually kind of strange it's been on the air for so long, from what I've read it was more or less an instant success, by the beginning of 1998 it was already quite well known.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 12/27/12 at 4:41 am

Oddly, I also lump '01 more with '04 than I do with '98, even though I'm 2-3 years your junior.

So you lump age 11 more with age 14 than age 8? Because that's what I don't and that's the reason for the gap...
Not pop culture.

Written By: belmont22 on 12/27/12 at 8:19 am

So you lump age 11 more with age 14 than age 8? Because that's what I don't and that's the reason for the gap...
Not pop culture.

No I don't. I just mean that for me personally, 2001 seemed closer to 2004 just because I found the pop culture, at least in the second half of the year, to feel more similar to 3 years later vs. 3 years before.

11 is probably more like 8 than like 14 though. Even an 8 year old is old enough to understand world events, like an 11 year old, but both are too young to be dating and sneaking into movies and stuff that a 14 year old is plenty old enough for.

Written By: af2010 on 12/27/12 at 11:29 am

Yes, that's exactly what I mean! I feel the same about 1996 vs. 1999 and 1998 vs. 2001. I don't think it's that much the case when talking about 1994 vs. 1997 (Age 8 vs. 11).

Lol, even the early part of 1998 (11/12) vs. the late part of 1999 (13) feels quite like a gap.
It seems that it really must be typical for that time between being a child and a teenager.

I agree, but I don't think it has so much to do with becoming a teenager as it does going through puberty.  A "teenager" is just a number, although it does correspond with puberty for a lot of people.  That's why 11/12 seems so different than 13/14; your way of thinking changes.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 12/27/12 at 11:40 am

I agree, but I don't think it has so much to do with becoming a teenager as it does going through puberty.  A "teenager" is just a number, although it does correspond with puberty for a lot of people. 

Yeah, certainly. Nothing else was meant. ;)

Can't speak for other people, but as for me it happend exactly during that time frame.

Written By: fredrickthe94guy on 01/06/13 at 7:28 am

you're a 2000s kid if you remember the good old Nokia Phones xD

Written By: Howard on 01/06/13 at 3:06 pm

I do.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 01/06/13 at 3:14 pm

Not only remember, but also used it during your single digits... then you're a 2000s kid.

Written By: Spiral13 on 01/06/13 at 3:45 pm

I'm too old to really know the experience, but I'm sure that if you went to see Madagascar at the movies as a kid then that is definitley you.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 01/06/13 at 5:02 pm

but I'm sure that if you went to see Madagascar at the movies as a kid then that is definitley you.

I watched Madagascar as a 19-year-old ;)

Written By: TakaWuKid91 on 01/18/13 at 11:58 pm

This thread intrigues me very much. I spent the last three years of my childhood in the early 00s (9-12) and my teen years 2004-2009. Even though I still did some kid stuff in the mid 00s (mostly in 2004/2005), the early 00s was more of my childhood than the mid 00s (and obviously the late 00s). I still see myself as 00s kids, probably not as much as someone like Slim95 or fredrickthe94guy. I mean I was already too old for some of the stuff they probably grew up on by then. I love the 90s, but I don't remember as much as I would like to. While reading this thread, I thought back to the time I was 3 years old (1994) watching the rugrats and looking over my shoulder and seeing my grandfather sleeping on lounge chair. It feels like a dream sometimes. I saw some commercials from the early 00s and realized how dated they were, I don't see those times as being old. Is it just me or did commercials in the late 90s/early 00s look brighter, in terms of lighting?

Check for new replies or respond here...