inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: swear words

Written By: chunkofgreen1 on 02/10/12 at 4:00 am

Subject: Re: Cussing becoming normalized in the 2000's

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 02/10/12 at 7:20 am

I'd like to take this opportunity to thank young people for inventing swear words in the year 2000.

Because before that, whenever I hit my thumb with a hammer or someone cut me off in traffic or a player from my favorite football team dropped a pass, I could never think of the right thing to say!  ::)

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 02/10/12 at 8:19 am

Glad to see you have a sense of humor, you should be all right here. :)

Having said that I have to ask you:  Roughly how old were you when you noticed people around you starting to use more swear words?

Written By: lorac61469 on 02/10/12 at 10:12 am

Well, apparently you're not from New York.  ;D

I do notice that they allow more cussing on TV now then they did in the past.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/10/12 at 10:23 am

Two of the first shows I remember hearing b!tch/sonofab!tch & b@stard were in the '80s. Moonlighting & M*A*S*H.

Cat

Written By: Ashkicksass on 02/10/12 at 10:29 am

15. Nothing to do with age. ;) That would be already be too late in any case.

aside of friends cousins and other people.  But i definately remember kids/teen overly using swear words out of context or excessively at certain time in the 2000s.

In terms of media there was a lot less censorship over cussing than before.

You couldn't move an inch in my junior high or high school without hearing the f word, and that was in the 90's.  I don't think swearing is more common than it has ever been - I think you just started noticing it more. 

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 02/10/12 at 11:59 am

^Exactly.  My friends and I started cursing like sailors when we were in junior high, and that was in a small town in Nebraska in the early 80s. I think it's just part of the whole macho/rebellious thing that comes along with the onset of puberty.

And the reason kids don't hear swear words very much before they're 13 or 14 is simply because most adults make an effort to watch their language when they're around children.     

Written By: snozberries on 02/10/12 at 1:52 pm

cursing on tv came with the advent of non-paid cable channels that weren't broadcast tv... ie FX, A&E, TNT, TBS, USA  are not held to same the standards as the networks ABC, CBS, NBC and FOX....   

in otherwords you can say pretty much anything but the F word on the non broadcast/non paid channels (paid channels being HBO, Shotime etc) 

once the cable channels got away with it the networks became less controlling on their reality shows. In fact, because they needed to compete with the other channels out there it became more encouraged.  Now they just bleep whatever they need to but you will find you still can't go that far in network scripted shows.  The regulations are far less stringent in broadcast tv but they are still there. 

As time goes on the lines of censorship get pushed further back everyday. 

Written By: Ashkicksass on 02/10/12 at 1:57 pm

I think the fact that people are offended by curse words is ridiculous.  I'm far more offended by words like "hate, violence, torture, or murder" than I am by someone saying "Oh Sh!t."

Written By: Brian06 on 02/10/12 at 2:04 pm

I think the fact that people are offended by curse words is ridiculous.  I'm far more offended by words like "hate, violence, torture, or murder" than I am by someone saying "Oh Sh!t."

Agreed. I personally could care less about curse words. People are offended way too easily.

Written By: lorac61469 on 02/10/12 at 2:40 pm

I totally agree!  A word I do not like at all is a very "mild" word...Stupid.  It bothers me more when I hear an adult calling a kid stupid.

Written By: Howard on 02/10/12 at 7:18 pm

haha, no really i remember when it just such a taboo to say really basic swear words on adult tv shows and with your friends but then after a while kids were using it way too excessively to the point where it became too normalized. South Park helped with that for sure

South Park, Jersey Shore, Mob Wives and a few others.

Written By: Howard on 02/10/12 at 7:20 pm

I hear people say sonofabitch and god damn but the f word is bleeped out.

Written By: Mat1991 on 02/10/12 at 11:46 pm

My very first cuss word was the "f"-word. I learned it at a young age from my cousin, who wasn't much older than me, either. I heard him shout out the "f"-word while playing a video game. This was in the '90s, by the way.

Written By: Howard on 02/11/12 at 6:33 am

That's what I'm talking about. Nobody seems to get it.

A lot of the curse words we hear today is what we got from those kind of shows.

Written By: snozberries on 02/11/12 at 10:37 am

Howard those words we hear today were around long before those shows ever got on the air. They've been cursing in movies for decades

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/11/12 at 11:09 am

Howard those words we hear today were around long before those shows ever got on the air. They've been cursing in movies for decades
Some of the curse words are Anglo-Saxon, long before television was invented.

Written By: snozberries on 02/11/12 at 11:31 am

This is also true... people have been cursing for centuries.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/11/12 at 11:54 am

Frankly, my dear....

Cat

Written By: snozberries on 02/11/12 at 11:59 am

Frankly, my dear....

Cat

Damn  :-\\

:D

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/11/12 at 12:13 pm

Frankly, my dear....

Cat
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2RxWs60dRM

If the clip works...

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 02/11/12 at 12:20 pm

F*ck

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

List of recent uses

In 1928, D. H. Lawrence's novel Lady Chatterley's Lover gained notoriety for its frequent use of the words f*ck, f*cked, and f*cking.

Perhaps the earliest usage of the word in popular music was the 1938 Eddy Duchin release of the Louis Armstrong song "Ol' Man Mose". The words created a scandal at the time, resulting in sales of 170,000 copies during the Great Depression years when sales of 20,000 were considered blockbuster. The verse reads:

(We believe) He kicked the bucket,
(We believe) Yeah man, buck-buck-bucket,
(We believe) He kicked the bucket and ol' man mose is dead,
(We believe) Ahh, f*ck it!
(We believe) Buck-buck-bucket,
(We believe) He kicked the bucket and ol' man mose is dead.

The liberal usage of the word (and other vulgarisms) by certain artists (such as James Joyce, Henry Miller, Lenny Bruce, Peter Cook and Dudley Moore, in their Derek and Clive personas) has led to the banning of their works and criminal charges of obscenity. After Norman Mailer's publishers convinced him to bowdlerize f*ck as fug in his work The Naked and the Dead (1948), Tallulah Bankhead supposedly greeted him with the quip, "So you're the young man who can't spell f*ck." In fact, according to Mailer, the quip was devised by Bankhead's PR man. He and Bankhead did not meet until 1966 and did not discuss the word then. The rock group The Fugs named themselves after the Mailer euphemism.

The Catcher in the Rye by J. D. Salinger featured the use of "f*ck you" in print. First published in the United States in 1951, the novel remains controversial to this day due to its use of the word, standing at number 13 for the most banned books from 1990–2000 according to the American Library Association. The book offers a blunt portrayal of the main character's reaction to the existence of the word, and all that it means.

The first documented use of the word f*ck on live British television (probably on any television system) has been attributed to theatre critic Kenneth Tynan in 1965. Controversy also ensued in 1976 when Today host Bill Grundy interviewed the Sex Pistols, after guitarist Steve Jones called Grundy a 'dirty f*cker' and a 'f*cking rotter'.

One of the earliest mainstream Hollywood movies to use the word f*ck was director Robert Altman's irreverent antiwar film, MASH, released in 1970 at the height of the Vietnam War. During the football game sequence about three-quarters of the way through the film, one of the MASH linemen says to an 8063rd offensive player, "All right, bud, your f*ckin' head is coming right off." Also, former Beatle John Lennon's 1971 release "Working Class Hero" featured use of the word, which was rare in music at the time and caused it to, at most, be played only in segments on the radio.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/11/12 at 12:26 pm

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia and I have heard this in the song.

In Hey Jude by The Beatles, at 2:58 of the song, someone can allegedly be heard to say, "F*cking hell!" There is some dispute as to who said this, and whether it was really exclaimed at all. Sound engineers Ken Scott and Geoff Emerick claim the exclamation came from McCartney, and that it was Lennon's idea to leave the mistake in the final mix. "'Paul hit a clunker on the piano and said a naughty word,' Lennon gleefully crowed, 'but I insisted we leave it in, buried just low enough so that it can barely be heard. Most people won't ever spot it...but we'll know it's there.'"

Written By: snozberries on 02/11/12 at 12:29 pm

F*ck

List of recent uses

In 1928, D. H. Lawrence's novel Lady Chatterley's Lover gained notoriety for its frequent use of the words f*ck, f*cked, and f*cking.

Perhaps the earliest usage of the word in popular music was the 1938 Eddy Duchin release of the Louis Armstrong song "Ol' Man Mose". The words created a scandal at the time, resulting in sales of 170,000 copies during the Great Depression years when sales of 20,000 were considered blockbuster. The verse reads:

The liberal usage of the word (and other vulgarisms) by certain artists (such as James Joyce, Henry Miller, Lenny Bruce, Peter Cook and Dudley Moore, in their Derek and Clive personas) has led to the banning of their works and criminal charges of obscenity. After Norman Mailer's publishers convinced him to bowdlerize f*ck as fug in his work The Naked and the Dead (1948), Tallulah Bankhead supposedly greeted him with the quip, "So you're the young man who can't spell f*ck." In fact, according to Mailer, the quip was devised by Bankhead's PR man. He and Bankhead did not meet until 1966 and did not discuss the word then. The rock group The Fugs named themselves after the Mailer euphemism.

The Catcher in the Rye by J. D. Salinger featured the use of "f*ck you" in print. First published in the United States in 1951, the novel remains controversial to this day due to its use of the word, standing at number 13 for the most banned books from 1990–2000 according to the American Library Association. The book offers a blunt portrayal of the main character's reaction to the existence of the word, and all that it means.

The first documented use of the word f*ck on live British television (probably on any television system) has been attributed to theatre critic Kenneth Tynan in 1965. Controversy also ensued in 1976 when Today host Bill Grundy interviewed the Sex Pistols, after guitarist Steve Jones called Grundy a 'dirty f*cker' and a 'f*cking rotter'.

One of the earliest mainstream Hollywood movies to use the word f*ck was director Robert Altman's irreverent antiwar film, MASH, released in 1970 at the height of the Vietnam War. During the football game sequence about three-quarters of the way through the film, one of the MASH linemen says to an 8063rd offensive player, "All right, bud, your f*ckin' head is coming right off." Also, former Beatle John Lennon's 1971 release "Working Class Hero" featured use of the word, which was rare in music at the time and caused it to, at most, be played only in segments on the radio.

This should be the new V-8 engine post!!!!  ;D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/11/12 at 12:30 pm

If the clip works...

The censors were all over that back in 1939. But the line, "Frankly my dear, I don't give a darn" just doesn't have the same impact.

F*ck

List of recent uses

The first documented use of the word f*ck on live British television (probably on any television system) has been attributed to theatre critic Kenneth Tynan in 1965. Controversy also ensued in 1976 when Today host Bill Grundy interviewed the Sex Pistols, after guitarist Steve Jones called Grundy a 'dirty f*cker' and a 'f*cking rotter'. (see also EMI and the Grundy incident)

I was thinking of Lady Chatterley's Lover, too.

Every generation thinks they invented cuss words & sex. I remember when I first read Lady Chatterley's Lover and was surprised that the "F" word was in there because I thought the word was invented in the '60s.  :D :D ;D ;D ;D ;D

According to http://urbanlegends.about.com/library/bl-f-word.htm the word originated in the 15th century.

This conversation should be discussed here: http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=45309.0

Cat

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/11/12 at 12:30 pm

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: snozberries on 02/11/12 at 12:48 pm

Every generation thinks they invented cuss words & sex. I remember when I first read Lady Chatterley's Lover and was surprised that the "F" word was in there because I thought the word was invented in the '60s.  :D :D ;D ;D ;D ;D

According to http://urbanlegends.about.com/library/bl-f-word.htm the word originated in the 15th century.

This conversation should be discussed here: http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=45309.0

Cat

I took a classic lit class about 3 yrs ago...we had to read Boccaccio's The Decameron which was written in the 1350s...... dude... .when I tell you it got raunchy in the 14th century....it got....RAUN-CHAY!!!!!  :o   

Holy Crap!!!!!

The best of the Hundred stories....well of the ones I read - I think I read most of them... so the best stories included the one with the nuns who slept with the gardener. He was so tired from having all that sex they ended up doing his work for him  ;D    oh and the one about the dude who wanted tame the devil/fire out of the young woman by scaring it with his beast.... I'm telling it wrong but basically sex was the only way to save her.  ::) :P   

Once again I say.... a bunch of stories that would make the editors of Dear Penthouse blush....written in 135something.  check it out.. .I dare ya!  :D

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 02/11/12 at 12:51 pm

Speaking of which:

GM marks 100-millionth small-block engine built

By Jeremy Korzeniewski

Posted Nov 29th 2011 4:56PM

A lot has happened in the last 56 years... mankind landed on the moon, the Cold War ended and General Motors managed to build 100 million small-block V8 engines.

First launched in 1955 with 265 cubic inches of displacement, the small block V8 has seen duty in nearly every memorable machine produced by Chevrolet in the last five decades. In addition to being the bread-and-butter engine in GM's bread-and-butter brand, the small block has also been widely seen in the engine bays of various Pontiac, Oldsmobile, Buick, GMC and Cadillac models in the States, as well as in Vauxhalls in the UK, Opels in the rest of Europe and Holdens in Australia.

While the current fourth-generation small-black V8 engine from GM doesn't share much at all in common with its forebears, it's still a tribute to a solid basic design architecture (4.4-inch bore centers, eight cylinders and overhead valves) that has remained a stalwart in power, affordability and efficiency.

The actual 100,000,000 engine will be a supercharged LS9 V8 that would normally be found in the engine bay of a Chevy Corvette ZR1, but this milestone powerplant will be kept and preserved by GM as part of its historical collection. Fittingly, the LS9, with 638 horsepower, is the most powerful engine ever offered by the automaker in a production vehicle.

In related news, GM has announced that its fifth-generation small block, due in the "near future" (perhaps the C7 Corvette?), will be blessed with a new direct-injection combustion system for enhanced efficiency. Naturally, it will still have 4.4-inch bore centers.

There's plenty of cool statistical information in the press release and video after the break, so we suggest you check it out for yourself... especially if you belong to the camp that believes pushrods automatically equal antiquated technology.

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/11/29/gm-marks-100-millionth-small-block-engine-built-w-video/

;)

Written By: snozberries on 02/11/12 at 12:53 pm

I expected this....but in that 98-99 thread.  :D

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 02/11/12 at 12:59 pm

You mean the decadeology thread?  ::)

Written By: snozberries on 02/11/12 at 1:00 pm

You mean the decadeology thread?  ::)

oh....is that decadeology?  :o 

:D

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/11/12 at 1:07 pm

1389 and 1399 ?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/11/12 at 1:09 pm

I took a classic lit class about 3 yrs ago...we had to read Boccaccio's The Decameron which was written in the 1350s...... dude... .when I tell you it got raunchy in the 14th century....it got....RAUN-CHAY!!!!!  :o   

Holy Crap!!!!!

The best of the Hundred stories....well of the ones I read - I think I read most of them... so the best stories included the one with the nuns who slept with the gardener. He was so tired from having all that sex they ended up doing his work for him  ;D    oh and the one about the dude who wanted tame the devil/fire out of the young woman by scaring it with his beast.... I'm telling it wrong but basically sex was the only way to save her.  ::) :P   

Once again I say.... a bunch of stories that would make the editors of Dear Penthouse blush....written in 135something.  check it out.. .I dare ya!  :D

I don't believe you. They didn't have sex in the 14th century. Sex wasn't invented until the 21st century.

Cat

Written By: snozberries on 02/11/12 at 1:39 pm

I don't believe you. They didn't have sex in the 14th century. Sex wasn't invented until the 21st century.

Cat

sez you.....

First Day, Fourth tale (I, 4) A young monk lapses into seducing a young woman and is secretly observed by an elder abbot. However, he knows that he has been seen and so leaves, on pretense of finishing a task, and gives the key to his room to the abbot, who then goes to see the girl for himself. On seeing the girl, the abbot then is seduced. The monk, who hid watching all of this, uses it to balk prosecution. The monk and the abbot quickly rush the woman out of the monastery and often bring her back in......    The earliest surviving source for this anti-clerical tale is found in Cento Novelle Antiche, an Italian compilation of short stories from the end of the 13th century.
Second Day, Seventh tale (II, 7) The Sultan of Babylon sends one of his daughters, Alatiel, overseas, designing to marry her to the King of Algarve. By diverse adventures she comes in the space of four years into the hands of nine men in varied places. At last she is restored to her father, whom she quits again in the guise of a virgin, and, as was at first intended, is married to the King of Algarve.

Third Day, First tale (III, 1) Masetto da Lamporecchio feigns to be dumb, and obtains a gardener's place at a convent of women, who with one accord make haste to lie with him.

Third Day, Third tale (III, 3) Under cloak of confession and a most spotless conscience, a lady, enamored of a young man, induces a dim-witted friar unwittingly to provide a means to the entire gratification of her passion.

Third Day, Fourth tale (III, 4) Dom Felice instructs Friar Puccio how to attain blessedness by doing a penance. Friar Puccio does the penance, and meanwhile Dom Felice has a good time with Friar Puccio's wife.

Third Day, Sixth tale (III, 6)
Ricciardo Minutolo loves the wife of Filippello Fighinolfi, and knowing her to be jealous, makes her believe that his own wife is to meet Filippello at a Turkish bath house on the ensuing day; whereby she is induced to go thither, where, thinking to have been with her husband, she discovers that she has tarried with Ricciardo.

Third Day, Seventh tale (III, 7) Tedaldo, being in disfavour with his lady, departs from Florence. He returns thither after a while in the guise of a pilgrim, has speech of his lady, and makes her sensible of her fault. Her husband, convicted of slaying him, he delivers from peril of death, reconciles him with his brothers, and thereafter discreetly enjoys his lady.

Third Day, Eighth tale (III, 8) Ferondo, having taken a certain powder, is interred for dead; is disinterred by the abbot, who enjoys his wife; is put in prison and taught to believe that he is in purgatory; is then resuscitated, and rears as his own a boy begotten by the abbot upon his wife.

Third Day, Ninth tale (III, 9) Gillette of Narbonne cures the King of France of a fistula, craves for spouse Bertrand de Roussillon, who marries her against his will, and lies him in despite to Florence, where, as he courts a young woman, Gillette lies with him in her stead, and has two sons by him; for which cause he afterwards takes her into favour and entreats her as his wife.

that third day is a killer isn't ?  ;D

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 02/11/12 at 1:44 pm

sez you.....

First Day, Fourth tale (I, 4) A young monk lapses into seducing a young woman and is secretly observed by an elder abbot. However, he knows that he has been seen and so leaves, on pretense of finishing a task, and gives the key to his room to the abbot, who then goes to see the girl for himself. On seeing the girl, the abbot then is seduced. The monk, who hid watching all of this, uses it to balk prosecution. The monk and the abbot quickly rush the woman out of the monastery and often bring her back in......    The earliest surviving source for this anti-clerical tale is found in Cento Novelle Antiche, an Italian compilation of short stories from the end of the 13th century.
Second Day, Seventh tale (II, 7) The Sultan of Babylon sends one of his daughters, Alatiel, overseas, designing to marry her to the King of Algarve. By diverse adventures she comes in the space of four years into the hands of nine men in varied places. At last she is restored to her father, whom she quits again in the guise of a virgin, and, as was at first intended, is married to the King of Algarve.

Third Day, First tale (III, 1) Masetto da Lamporecchio feigns to be dumb, and obtains a gardener's place at a convent of women, who with one accord make haste to lie with him.

Third Day, Third tale (III, 3) Under cloak of confession and a most spotless conscience, a lady, enamored of a young man, induces a dim-witted friar unwittingly to provide a means to the entire gratification of her passion.

Third Day, Fourth tale (III, 4) Dom Felice instructs Friar Puccio how to attain blessedness by doing a penance. Friar Puccio does the penance, and meanwhile Dom Felice has a good time with Friar Puccio's wife.

Ricciardo Minutolo loves the wife of Filippello Fighinolfi, and knowing her to be jealous, makes her believe that his own wife is to meet Filippello at a Turkish bath house on the ensuing day; whereby she is induced to go thither, where, thinking to have been with her husband, she discovers that she has tarried with Ricciardo.

Third Day, Seventh tale (III, 7) Tedaldo, being in disfavour with his lady, departs from Florence. He returns thither after a while in the guise of a pilgrim, has speech of his lady, and makes her sensible of her fault. Her husband, convicted of slaying him, he delivers from peril of death, reconciles him with his brothers, and thereafter discreetly enjoys his lady.

Third Day, Eighth tale (III, 8) Ferondo, having taken a certain powder, is interred for dead; is disinterred by the abbot, who enjoys his wife; is put in prison and taught to believe that he is in purgatory; is then resuscitated, and rears as his own a boy begotten by the abbot upon his wife.

Third Day, Ninth tale (III, 9) Gillette of Narbonne cures the King of France of a fistula, craves for spouse Bertrand de Roussillon, who marries her against his will, and lies him in despite to Florence, where, as he courts a young woman, Gillette lies with him in her stead, and has two sons by him; for which cause he afterwards takes her into favour and entreats her as his wife.

That's dirty.  :o :o :o

Written By: snozberries on 02/11/12 at 1:44 pm

FOUND IT... the story I was looking for was about putting the devil back into hell... I was close. 

So this chick wants to be closer to god and this monk tells her that she has to help him put the devil back to hell.... hell being her no-no place and the devil being his WHAT?!?  :P 

Here ya go.....a summary- it's from Wiki but it's accurate.  ;D      1350 people...1350!  :D

Tenth tale (III, 10)

Alibech turns hermit, and is taught by Rustico, a monk, how the Devil is put in hell. She is afterwards conveyed thence, and becomes the wife of Neerbale.

Dioneo narrates what is by far the most obscene and bawdy tale in the
Decameron:                      Alibech, a naive young woman, wanders into the forest in an attempt to become closer to God. She happens upon the monk Rustico, and he deflowers her under the pretense of teaching her how to better please God. Alibech becomes more enthusiastic about putting the Devil back into Hell than Rustico, almost to the point of his ruin. Meanwhile, her family and family home are incinerated, leaving her the only heir. Neerbale kidnaps her, much to Rustico's relief and Alibech's displeasure, and Alibech is made to marry Neerbale. The night before the wedding, she is questioned by other women as to how Alibech served God in the forest, and upon explaining to her ladies how the Devil is put back into Hell, is informed that Neerbale will surely know how to help her serve God once more.

Because of its "graphic" nature, this tale has at times been translated incompletely, as in John Payne's translation, where Alibech's sexual awakening is left untranslated and is accompanied with this footnote: "The translators regret that the disuse into which magic has fallen, makes it impossible to render the technicalities of that mysterious art into tolerable English; they have therefore found it necessary to insert several passages in the original Italian." No known earlier versions of it exist.

Written By: snozberries on 02/11/12 at 1:45 pm

That's dirty.  :o :o :o

and there's still like 7 days to go....  ;D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/11/12 at 1:48 pm

sez you.....

Don't ya hate when THAT happens.

Cat

Written By: Dagwood on 02/11/12 at 1:49 pm

If the clip works...

I love that movie....I think I need a couch sitting Gone With The Wind day soon.

Back to the cussing.....;D

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 02/11/12 at 1:49 pm

and there's still like 7 days to go....  ;D

You might want to tell the OP to cover his ears.

Otherwise, he might get a boner.  :o :o :o

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s78/AL-B_photos/arrrrrgh.gif

Written By: snozberries on 02/11/12 at 1:51 pm

Don't ya hate when THAT happens.

Cat

yeah...  ;D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/11/12 at 1:52 pm

I love that movie....I think I need a couch sitting Gone With The Wind day soon.

Back to the cussing.....;D

I love the movie, too but Hubby doesn't so I haven't seen it in years.

Cat

Written By: snozberries on 02/11/12 at 1:54 pm

You might want to tell the OP to cover his ears.

Otherwise, he might get a boner.  :o :o :o

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s78/AL-B_photos/arrrrrgh.gif

Ha Ha.... naw i'm done for now.. I was just trying to find that one story so I could tell it right.

And whatever. It's classic literature.. it's not like I'm up talking about the Red Shoe Diaries remember when Agent Mulder I mean David Duchovny was, literally, the face/voice of soft core porn in the 80s?

Written By: snozberries on 02/11/12 at 1:58 pm

I love the movie, too but Hubby doesn't so I haven't seen it in years.

Cat

can't say I'm much of a fan either....  :-\\

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/11/12 at 2:03 pm

Ha Ha.... naw i'm done for now.. I was just trying to find that one story so I could tell it right.

And whatever. It's classic literature.. it's not like I'm up talking about the Red Shoe Diaries remember when Agent Mulder I mean David Duchovny was, literally, the face/voice of soft core porn in the 80s?

I think Carlos used to watch the Red Shoe Diaries.

BTW, what exactly is the name of that book? I'm interested in reading it.  ;) :D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: snozberries on 02/11/12 at 2:20 pm

I think Carlos used to watch the Red Shoe Diaries.

BTW, what exactly is the name of that book? I'm interested in reading it.  ;) :D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

The Decameron. by Giovanni Boccaccio
  (if you're brave - you can get a used one for 97 cents on Amazon.... but I think i'd just spring $7 for a new copy!  ;D

Essentially 7 people flee (Italy?) in an attempt to escape the plauge.  The journey takes 10 days, each day someone is in charge (of a theme?) and then everybody tells a short story to keep themselves from  dying of boredom....and the plague  ;)   

I have to remind you that it was written in the 14th century so some of the narrative leading up to the story telling can be a bit dry and, at times dense, I got bored with the travellers and just stuck to the tales themselves....oddly enough non of the story teller stuff was on the exams- just the stories themselves  ;D

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/11/12 at 2:45 pm

Elizabethan Curse Generator

10 Curses

Thou dissembling ill-breeding clack-dish!
Thou spleeny folly-fallen rabbit-sucker!
Thou impertinent dread-bolted mumble-news!
Thou fitful folly-fallen minimus!
Thou knavish ill-breeding strumpet!
Thou churlish ill-breeding snipe!
Thou wenching spur-galled puttock!
Thou unmuzzled fen-sucked minnow!
Thou waggish weather-bitten pigeon-egg!
Thou queasy beef-witted miscreant!

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 02/11/12 at 3:23 pm

Elizabethan Curse Generator

10 Curses

Thou dissembling ill-breeding clack-dish!
Thou spleeny folly-fallen rabbit-sucker!
Thou impertinent dread-bolted mumble-news!
Thou fitful folly-fallen minimus!
Thou knavish ill-breeding strumpet!
Thou churlish ill-breeding snipe!
Thou wenching spur-galled puttock!
Thou unmuzzled fen-sucked minnow!
Thou waggish weather-bitten pigeon-egg!
Thou queasy beef-witted miscreant!

HEY!!!!  >:( >:( >:(

Watch your f*cking language.  ;D

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/11/12 at 3:51 pm

HEY!!!!  >:( >:( >:(

Watch your f*cking language.  ;D
I may put a few of these to my personal use next week.

Written By: snozberries on 02/11/12 at 3:55 pm

;D

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/11/12 at 3:59 pm

;D
Why not try yourself at work?

Written By: snozberries on 02/11/12 at 4:02 pm

Why not try yourself at work?

I should!  I could've used it on a mom who just called because a roommate is being mean on twitter to her 18 yr old daughter  ::)

Subject: Re: nope

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 02/11/12 at 4:39 pm

Nope.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 02/11/12 at 4:41 pm

pope

http://www.topnews.in/files/Pope-Benedict-XVI_7.jpg

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 02/11/12 at 4:41 pm

soap

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lt57xbCE1D1r2v7yvo3_500.jpg

Written By: lorac61469 on 02/11/12 at 4:42 pm

Huh? I'm confuzzeled!  ???

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 02/11/12 at 4:42 pm

hope

http://obeygiant.com/images/2008/11/obama-hope-shelter-copy-500x752.jpg

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 02/11/12 at 4:43 pm

dope

http://futurepocket.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/marijuana_1.jpg

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 02/11/12 at 4:44 pm

rope

http://www.freefoto.com/images/9907/03/9907_03_21---Coil-of-rope_web.jpg

Written By: lorac61469 on 02/11/12 at 4:44 pm

http://images2.layoutsparks.com/1/66440/dope-walls-words-image-31000.jpg

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 02/11/12 at 4:46 pm

telescope

http://www.texasastro.org/images/mounts/cheap_mount.jpg

Written By: lorac61469 on 02/11/12 at 4:46 pm

Jack-a-lope...
http://christynichols.files.wordpress.com/2011/02/jack-a-lope.png

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 02/11/12 at 4:48 pm

grope

http://0.tqn.com/d/politicalhumor/1/0/D/O/2/mctongue-pic.jpg

Written By: snozberries on 02/11/12 at 4:49 pm

SNOPEs  :D

http://www.snopes.com/images/template/snopes.gif

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 02/11/12 at 4:49 pm

cantaloupe

http://www.serenityacresnow.com/pix/cantaloupe.jpg

Written By: snozberries on 02/11/12 at 4:50 pm

Elope

http://vipdictionary.com/img/elope.jpg

Written By: lorac61469 on 02/11/12 at 4:50 pm

http://www.collegian.psu.edu:8080/blogs/travistravels/images/blog20/taupe.jpg

Written By: snozberries on 02/11/12 at 4:52 pm

mope

http://images.cheezburger.com/completestore/2009/7/27/128932214205365310.jpg

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 02/11/12 at 4:52 pm

misanthrope

http://law2.umkc.edu/faculty/projects/ftrials/manson/manson1.jpg

Written By: lorac61469 on 02/11/12 at 4:52 pm

http://www.sirlin.net/storage/articles/slippery.png?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1224996790467

Written By: snozberries on 02/11/12 at 4:54 pm

Cape of Good Hope

http://thewine-experience.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/1A-007-Cape_of_Good_Hope.jpg

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 02/11/12 at 4:55 pm

soap on a rope

http://www.aileeninvitations.com/avactis-images/DADDY-SOAP-ON-A-ROPE-GREEN.jpg

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/11/12 at 5:01 pm

http://www.copewithcytokines.de/cope17-5.jpg

Cat

Written By: snozberries on 02/11/12 at 5:08 pm

soap on a rope

Who's your daddy!??  :D

Written By: snozberries on 02/11/12 at 5:08 pm

soap on a rope

I love it when you call me big poppa!

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 02/11/12 at 5:09 pm

Looks like the OP got mad and changed the name of all his threads to "nope."

Perhaps we ought to start a "Tips For New Members" thread.

Written By: wildcard on 02/11/12 at 5:12 pm

< dope 

I am  trying to point to my own stupid picture here

Written By: lorac61469 on 02/11/12 at 5:12 pm

Are you serious??  Poor thing...did he get his feelings hurt?

Written By: snozberries on 02/11/12 at 5:13 pm

Tip number 1:

Don't talk about Decadology....in fact, stay away from talking about any year in general. And what ever you do don't talk about your childhood, your age, your generation, or what you watched as a kid unless you were pooping your pants somewhere between 1940-1979.....  :D

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 02/11/12 at 5:15 pm

Nope.

Written By: lorac61469 on 02/11/12 at 5:16 pm

Tip number 1:

Don't talk about Decadology....in fact, stay away from talking about any year in general. And what ever you do don't talk about your childhood, your age, your generation, or what you watched as a kid unless you were pooping your pants somewhere between 1940-1979.....  :D

Tip number 2:

Don't get your panties in a wad.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 02/11/12 at 5:16 pm

Tip number 1:

Tip number 3: Don't come in and start 10 new threads every day and then wonder why they get hijacked.

Written By: lorac61469 on 02/11/12 at 5:18 pm

Tip number 4:

Be a bit more creative as you change the titles of all your threads.

Written By: Jessica on 02/11/12 at 5:19 pm

Tip number 5: don't be a douchecanoe.

Written By: snozberries on 02/11/12 at 5:21 pm

Tip #2:
New members should not start 27 new threads in the first hour....it's annoying and just makes us like you less. No one is that interested in you...............yet.

Written By: snozberries on 02/11/12 at 5:21 pm

Tip #2:
New members should not start 27 new threads in the first hour....it's annoying and just makes us like you less. No one is that interested in you...............yet.

I started this then got 3 calls in a row....gotta go see what ya'll wrote and amend accordingly,

Written By: snozberries on 02/11/12 at 5:22 pm

Nope.

;D

Written By: snozberries on 02/11/12 at 5:22 pm

Tip number 2:

that's a good one!

Written By: snozberries on 02/11/12 at 5:24 pm

Tip number 3: Don't come in and start 10 new threads every day and then wonder why they get hijacked.

that's close to mine we should merge the two!

Tip #2:

New members should not start 10 new threads every day and then wonder why they get hijacked.....it's annoying and just makes us like you less. No one is that interested in you...............yet.

Written By: snozberries on 02/11/12 at 5:25 pm

that's the one I keep forgetting!

Subject: Re: .

Written By: Jessica on 02/11/12 at 5:26 pm

I love when people flounce off of here.  I need to find some flouncing pictures.

Written By: snozberries on 02/11/12 at 5:28 pm

I love when people flounce off of here.  I need to find some flouncing pictures.

flounce....it's a good word!

Written By: Jessica on 02/11/12 at 5:31 pm

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 02/11/12 at 5:31 pm

flounce....it's a good word!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BonCLU297hM

Now just substitute the word "flounce" for "bounce."

Written By: Jessica on 02/11/12 at 5:33 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BonCLU297hM

Now just substitute the word "flounce" for "bounce."

I love that song!

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e158/Jimbo-Fett/flounce.jpg

I'll be back.  I need to start mah bacon.

Written By: snozberries on 02/11/12 at 5:33 pm

Total Time Spent Online:  9 hours and 38 minutes.Total Posts:                      16 postsTotal Topics Started:          14 topics

and ya know what?  Every single post now reads

::)

Written By: snozberries on 02/11/12 at 5:36 pm

ZOMFG!!!! I JUST REALIZED I STARTED TWO TOPICS TODAY!!!!  :o   

I'm sorry guys!  :-\\ 

oh wait...they're relevant and interesting.......to me and that's really all that matters anyway-

what's interesting to me.... .and don't any of you forget it!!!!

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 02/11/12 at 5:37 pm

ZOMFG!!!! I JUST REALIZED I STARTED TWO TOPICS TODAY!!!!  :o   

I'm sorry guys!  :-\\ 

oh wait...they're relevant and interesting.......to me and that's really all that matters anyway-

what's interesting to me.... .and don't any of you forget it!!!!

Yeah...but I don't care what you say...you're STILL not a 90s kid.

Written By: Jessica on 02/11/12 at 5:42 pm

Would that be 1890s or 1790s?  And what are the similarities between them?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/11/12 at 5:43 pm

< dope 

I am  trying to point to my own stupid picture here

Nope, you are not the dope.

Cat

Written By: snozberries on 02/11/12 at 5:44 pm

Thank god for that!

Written By: snozberries on 02/11/12 at 5:45 pm

actually....until the nope.... I thought we stayed pretty on topic!  :P

Written By: Jessica on 02/11/12 at 5:45 pm

I have no clue as to why this person did this, but it makes a great topic for me to post these pictures.

http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/vv311/Arcticsunpics/golden_flounce.jpg

Written By: snozberries on 02/11/12 at 5:50 pm

I have no clue as to why this person did this, but it makes a great topic for me to post these pictures.

http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/vv311/Arcticsunpics/golden_flounce.jpg

;D

Subject: Re: swear words

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 02/11/12 at 6:31 pm

So...did Chunky flounce out of here on his own accord or did he get sh!tcanned?  ???

Written By: snozberries on 02/11/12 at 6:34 pm

So...did Chunky flounce out of here on his own accord or did he get sh!tcanned?  ???

good question!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/11/12 at 6:37 pm

I think Chucky said he self-deleted.

And he is probably reading this.

Cat

Written By: Howard on 02/11/12 at 7:44 pm

like the N word.

Written By: Howard on 02/11/12 at 7:45 pm

Frankly, my dear....

Cat

I don't give a damn!

Written By: Howard on 02/11/12 at 7:46 pm

Cat

You can't invent sex. ::)

Written By: Howard on 02/11/12 at 7:49 pm

Who's your daddy!??  :D

Stanley.

Written By: Howard on 02/11/12 at 7:50 pm

what's a douchecanoe?  ;D

Written By: snozberries on 02/11/12 at 7:54 pm

like the N word.

why's it gotta be that word!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/11/12 at 7:57 pm

Don't you hate it when the conversation is pretty much over and someone has to try to join in?

Oops, wrong thread.

Cat

Written By: Ashkicksass on 02/11/12 at 8:23 pm

can't say I'm much of a fan either....  :-\\

I thought I was the only one.

Written By: Ashkicksass on 02/11/12 at 8:27 pm

#14 Don't start new threads until you make sure somebody else hasn't already started the same thread.

(Unless you're me.)

Written By: lorac61469 on 02/11/12 at 8:28 pm

like the N word.

Nincompoop? Numbskull? Nut sack? 

Written By: snozberries on 02/11/12 at 8:28 pm

I thought I was the only one.

nope....

Don't you hate it when the conversation is pretty much over and someone has to try to join in?

Oops, wrong thread.

Cat

yep  ::)

Written By: Ashkicksass on 02/11/12 at 8:29 pm

Tip number 2:

Is that similar to a Melvin? 

:-[

Written By: Ashkicksass on 02/11/12 at 8:29 pm

nope....

yep  ::)

Whatever.  I can join in whenever I want.  :P :P :P

Written By: snozberries on 02/11/12 at 8:30 pm

were we talking about you!  I don't think so!  :P 

Written By: Ashkicksass on 02/11/12 at 8:32 pm

were we talking about you!  I don't think so!  :P

DON'T MAKE ME FLOUNCE!!!

Written By: Jessica on 02/11/12 at 8:34 pm

lZLVi4v7lSM

Written By: Ashkicksass on 02/11/12 at 8:37 pm

lZLVi4v7lSM

That is EXACTLY what I was thinking of when I said that!!  :D

One of my all time favorite eps!!!

Written By: snozberries on 02/11/12 at 8:38 pm

DON'T MAKE ME FLOUNCE!!!

But.....but.......but.... I WANNA WATCH!!!!  :D

Written By: Ashkicksass on 02/11/12 at 8:38 pm

But.....but.......but.... I WANNA WATCH!!!!  :D

It's looks a lot like the Cartman link, actually.

Written By: snozberries on 02/11/12 at 8:38 pm

That is EXACTLY what I was thinking of when I said that!!  :D

One of my all time favorite eps!!!

sorry I missed that reference... I stopped watching SP years ago.

Written By: Jessica on 02/11/12 at 8:41 pm

http://i1000.photobucket.com/albums/af128/LanningCk/Macros/flounce.jpg

Written By: Howard on 02/11/12 at 8:48 pm

that is a curse word. right?  ???

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 02/11/12 at 8:50 pm

Nincompoop? Numbskull? Nut sack?

Nope.

Written By: Ashkicksass on 02/11/12 at 8:50 pm

Yes. 

Written By: snozberries on 02/11/12 at 8:51 pm

no....it's a derogatory slur

Written By: Ashkicksass on 02/11/12 at 8:53 pm

I consider it a curse word+++++

Written By: snozberries on 02/11/12 at 8:56 pm

I consider it a curse word+++++

well we can't agree on everything... 

I enjoy curse words. I don't enjoy that word so i don't consider it one... curse words do not offend me but that word does......  ya know...  whatever ash.....you're still my n-word-a!    see.... I ended it with an a so it's not offensive right  :D

Written By: Howard on 02/11/12 at 8:56 pm

It was used in the 70's.

Written By: snozberries on 02/11/12 at 8:56 pm

It was used in the 70's.

it was used in the 1620s 

Written By: Ashkicksass on 02/11/12 at 9:00 pm

well we can't agree on everything... 

I enjoy curse words. I don't enjoy that word so i don't consider it one... curse words do not offend me but that word does......  ya know...  whatever ash.....you're still my n-word-a!    see.... I ended it with an a so it's not offensive right  :D

I never looked at it that way.

I never actually thought about it in this context before.  I agree with you.

Written By: Foo Bar on 02/12/12 at 12:39 am

I never looked at it that way.

I never actually thought about it in this context before.  I agree with you.

Hey, it was even controversial within the rap/hip-hop community.  Partially in response to NWA shifting the focus from east-coast/hip-hop to west-coast/gangsta-rap, this track comes to mind.

r9KJOtQclOA

- Public Enemy, I Don't Wanna Be Called Yo Nigga ca. 1991.

The convention of "-a" and "-er" is probably the only practical way to distinguish between both meanings and to acknowledge the reality that the words remain in widespread use, both on the street and in pop culture.

http://mylittlefacewhen.com/media/f/thumb/mlfw2327_1.gif

"More flounce to the ounce, and I say what counts, KnowI'msayin?"
  - L. L. Cool J, .357, Break it on Down

Written By: snozberries on 02/12/12 at 12:56 am

Let me just say foo tgat I was kidding about the "a"
I get so frustrated when people say it's okay because I meant tge word that ends in a.
That word does not mean my brother/Mu friend. It means I'm too ignorant to understand the history of the word and realize that by using it regularly is not taking ownership of it. It's actually devaluing those who gave their lives so you can walk down the street and not be called that name daily by ANYONE.

I love rap but I hate the inclusion of the word in the music. Hate that young kids have grownup thinking it's okay and, in some cases, preferred. It's not a term of endearment... I've Been called that word, in it's intended context, more than once in my life. The last time it happened I was working security. I was ready to take off my uniform and fight if need be to defend my history. It was worth it, in that moment, to lose my job over tge matter. It never went that far but it could have. I'm not saying violence is ever the answer but that day I hit my tolerance level and couldn't see another option.

I will say- at the risk of belying my own prejudices - chris rock has found a way to use the word that makes sense.  I just wish it wasn't so....

Written By: Ashkicksass on 02/12/12 at 1:01 am

I get so frustrated when people say it's okay because I meant tge word that ends in a.
That word does not mean my brother/Mu friend. It means I'm too ignorant to understand the history of the word and realize that by using it regularly is not taking ownership of it. It's actually devaluing those who gave their lives so you can walk down the street and not be called that name daily by ANYONE.

I love rap but I hate the inclusion of the word in the music. Hate that young kids have grownup thinking it's okay and, in some cases, preferred. It's not a term of endearment... I've Been called that word, in it's intended context, more than once in my life. The last time it happened I was working security. I was ready to take off my uniform and fight if need be to defend my history. It was worth it, in that moment, to lose my job over tge matter. It never went that far but it could have. I'm not saying violence is ever the answer but that day I hit my tolerance level and couldn't see another option.

I will say- at the risk of belying my own prejudices - chris rock has found a way to use the word that makes sense.  I just wish it wasn't so....

Nice.

Written By: snozberries on 02/12/12 at 1:01 am

Nice.

I have my moments  ;)

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/12/12 at 2:57 am

rope

http://www.freefoto.com/images/9907/03/9907_03_21---Coil-of-rope_web.jpg
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_tpu8WUDLubU/TUiimQOR8tI/AAAAAAAABSA/rErEbACNYzc/s1600/Rope3.jpg

Written By: karen on 02/12/12 at 5:12 am

He heard about our tribulistic rituals

Written By: Howard on 02/12/12 at 6:43 am

it was used in the 1620s

you would've never that word in the 1620's.  ::)

Written By: Howard on 02/12/12 at 6:47 am

Hey, it was even controversial within the rap/hip-hop community.  Partially in response to NWA shifting the focus from east-coast/hip-hop to west-coast/gangsta-rap, this track comes to mind.

r9KJOtQclOA

- Public Enemy, I Don't Wanna Be Called Yo Nigga ca. 1991.

The convention of "-a" and "-er" is probably the only practical way to distinguish between both meanings and to acknowledge the reality that the words remain in widespread use, both on the street and in pop culture.

http://mylittlefacewhen.com/media/f/thumb/mlfw2327_1.gif

"More flounce to the ounce, and I say what counts, KnowI'msayin?"
  - L. L. Cool J, .357, Break it on Down

that's when rap became really hardcore.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/12/12 at 8:02 am

Sorry, Ash-gotta go with Q here. It is a derogatory slur.

VERY well said. I think I owe you karma for this one.

Cat

Written By: snozberries on 02/12/12 at 9:50 am

He heard about our tribulistic rituals

didn't even go down like that lol.

Written By: snozberries on 02/12/12 at 9:51 am

Sorry, Ash-gotta go with Q here. It is a derogatory slur.

VERY well said. I think I owe you karma for this one.

Cat

I'd give you karma back but that pesky 24 hr rule keeps denying me.

Written By: Dagwood on 02/12/12 at 2:10 pm

Maybe not Q because she wasn't around, but it was used regularly in the 1620's.  Usually it was slave owners aimed at the slaves.  They were treated as property, not people.  The word was not nice then and is not nice now.

Written By: snozberries on 02/12/12 at 2:24 pm

I totally missed this   

As dag said -  you're right... I wouldn't have heard that in 1620 because I wasn't born yet but the word was used.  Its in the writings....

and, technically I guess I should've said 1619 since the slaves landed before the pilgrims. 

Written By: Foo Bar on 02/12/12 at 7:48 pm

Yeah, I know.  I don't use it because ... well, as Chris Rock put it, I'm not allowed :)  But in lieu of 24-hour-limited karma, thanks for the excuse to go back (how far'm I goin' back? way back!) to when even rap artists weren't sure how - or if - to use it.

Written By: snozberries on 02/12/12 at 10:02 pm

Yeah, I know.  I don't use it because ... well, as Chris Rock put it, I'm not allowed :)  But in lieu of 24-hour-limited karma, thanks for the excuse to go back (how far'm I goin' back? way back!) to when even rap artists weren't sure how - or if - to use it.

:)

Check for new replies or respond here...