inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: why the 1990s dont get backlashed in the 2000s?

Written By: Rafael on 03/22/12 at 1:24 pm

was because the fashion was laid back, the end of cold war,the usa had good economy or the technological revolition

Subject: Re: why the 1990s dont get backlashed in the 2000s?

Written By: BayAreaNostalgist1981 on 03/23/12 at 11:15 am

was because the fashion was laid back, the end of cold war,the usa had good economy or the technological revolition

I think that was definitely part of it, the more outlandish stuff dates faster than the more laid back/serious pop culture.

Ironically, its only been in the last few years that I started hearing more people ripping on them (i.e. "hey man, that looks so 90s!"). That started around 2009 I'd say. I think the huge social networking era of FB, YouTube, Wiki, Google and such makes the 90s suddenly seem old and distant for the first time.

In the first half of the 00s, other than the politics and some of the pop culture, the aesthetic and lifestyle was still pretty 90s. Fashion like cargo pants, old school flannel and plaid (not the modern, more streamlined neon type) and shaved heads/buzzcuts were still pervasive too. Some of the music was pretty similar too, like post-grunge, leftover gangsta rap (i.e. 50 Cent) and pop/punk skater type rock wasn't too different from at least mid to late 90s bands like Blink 182.

Subject: Re: why the 1990s dont get backlashed in the 2000s?

Written By: Emman on 03/23/12 at 1:04 pm

Yeah it's really hard to backlash a fashion statement that was barely there at all(the '90s minimalist aesthetic), I think alot of this has to do with our increasingly decentralized culture, like the late '60s/'70s counterculture movement was mostly a backlash against the rigid, conformist culture of the '50s. Underground movements would start on the fringes and then slowly creep into the mainstream, these were reactionary changes, since the '90s most of the cultural changes have been more evolutionary so it makes it harder to bin down when one aesthetic ends and another one begins. The '60s to '70s is a good example of evolutionary change, it is pretty hard to say what year/event/date the '70s culture began, the '60s just slowly gave way to the '70s(by about maybe 1975).

Check for new replies or respond here...