inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Was Britney Spears at her peak as big as Madonna?

Written By: 80sfan on 03/29/12 at 9:54 am

Was Britney Spears at her peak circa. 2000-2002 ever as big as Madge during the 80s and early 90s?
Didn't live in most of the 80s (born '88) and didn't remember the early 90s, so that's why I'm asking.

Subject: Re: Was Britney Spears at her peak as big as Madonna?

Written By: yelimsexa on 03/29/12 at 11:27 am

I would say so (actually it was around the summer of 1999 that she really became huge, and I hated her so much I preffered the '80s/early-mid '90s pop stars more at the time. Her album sales were very comparable to Madonna's, if not a little stronger even.

Written By: 80sfan on 03/29/12 at 12:37 pm

I would say so (actually it was around the summer of 1999 that she really became huge, and I hated her so much I preffered the '80s/early-mid '90s pop stars more at the time. Her album sales were very comparable to Madonna's, if not a little stronger even.

Yeah, her first 2 albums went diamond (10X platinum or more). And even her next few albums did good. I mean, she was huge, even bigger than Gaga if you ask me!

I'd say 1999 to 2004 she was HUGE!

Written By: Brian06 on 03/29/12 at 12:57 pm

Well her biggest sales were right around 1999-2000 with the first 2 albums, and Britney was a MASSIVE phenomenon in those days. I remember very well. We haven't seen any music phenomenons as huge since BSB, NSYNC, Britney, etc. around the turn of the millennium. They all sold diamond and had massive tours, airplay, etc. She's had more sporadic success since. A bit in 2004 and again recently. Her worst time was probably when she went nuts around 2006-7 rofl.

Written By: Howard on 03/29/12 at 1:34 pm

Her biggest sale began in 1999 when her first video came out "Oops I Did It Again", that's when she was at her peak.

Written By: lu on 03/29/12 at 2:22 pm

Her biggest sale began in 1999 when her first video came out "Oops I Did It Again", that's when she was at her peak.

I agree.  Madonna is a bigger star that Britney Spears ever was.  Britney Spears peak was 1999 - 2002.  Madonna's was from 1983 - late 90s.  Madonna is a queen and Britney is a pop princess. 

Written By: Brian06 on 03/29/12 at 8:27 pm

"Baby...One More Time" was actually Britney's debut single in late 1998/early 1999, "...Oops I Did It Again" came later in the year 2000, though it did sound similar to "Baby...One More Time".

Written By: whistledog on 03/29/12 at 9:41 pm

When Britney first started out, she was bigger than Madonna was when she started out.

Britney was #1 from the get go.  It took 2 albums for Madonna to reach the top

Written By: 80sfan on 03/29/12 at 11:19 pm

http://allaboutmadonna.com/images/interviews/1985-madonna-time.jpg Madge in '85

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTScf-Qb3wkGLiYlr3aJp_qcSig5VmcBbgCijLqs-tAm0vodZ7_AYRC-mvKDw

Britney in the late 90s

Written By: Emman on 03/29/12 at 11:33 pm

Madonna was a lot older than Britney when she became famous too, she was already 26/27 by 1985 while Britney was only 17/18 in 1999.

Written By: 80sfan on 03/29/12 at 11:45 pm

Madonna was a lot older than Britney when she became famous too, she was already 26/27 by 1985 while Britney was only 17/18 in 1999.

Good point!

Written By: Howard on 03/30/12 at 6:33 am

I agree.  Madonna is a bigger star that Britney Spears ever was.  Britney Spears peak was 1999 - 2002.  Madonna's was from 1983 - late 90s.  Madonna is a queen and Britney is a pop princess.

and both in their era did outrageous things.

Written By: Howard on 03/30/12 at 6:34 am

When Britney first started out, she was bigger than Madonna was when she started out.

Britney was #1 from the get go.  It took 2 albums for Madonna to reach the top

and Madonna started in October 1982 with her first single "Everybody". A year before she debuted.

Written By: Howard on 03/30/12 at 6:35 am

That's a comparison.

Written By: 80sfan on 03/30/12 at 9:47 am

and Madonna started in October 1982 with her first single "Everybody". A year before she debuted.

Wow, Madonna has been around almost 30 years? :o

Written By: Howard on 03/30/12 at 7:10 pm

Wow, Madonna has been around almost 30 years? :o

remember her video "Everybody"?  ???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOqr_x_9fMc

Written By: ExtremeMan8 on 03/30/12 at 8:38 pm

Most definitely yes. I would say even more so than Madonna. There is nobody close as big as Britney Spears in the 2000s not even Lady Gaga. I don't think there will be anybody as successful as her in the near future. Love or hate he music you have to admit that she was one of the most famous people out there for a long time and even today. I think she is considered the queen of pop if you ask me.

Written By: 80sfan on 03/30/12 at 11:27 pm

remember her video "Everybody"?  ???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOqr_x_9fMc

No Howard, I was born in 1988, I wasn't even a fetus yet!  ;D

Written By: ExtremeMan8 on 03/31/12 at 12:11 am

As we are talking about both Madonna and Britney Spears. I thought I'd share this music video with the both of them back in 03. Do you guys remember this music video for Me Against The Music?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clwLKJ294u4

Written By: ExtremeMan8 on 03/31/12 at 12:12 am

As we are talking about both Madonna and Britney Spears. I thought I'd share this music video with the both of them back in 03. Do you guys remember this music video for Me Against The Music?

Madonna is so old she needs a walking stick in the video!  ;D

Written By: 80sfan on 03/31/12 at 12:39 am

I remember this video. Also Brit and Madonna kissed at VMA before this video.  8)

Written By: lu on 03/31/12 at 12:47 am

Most definitely yes. I would say even more so than Madonna. There is nobody close as big as Britney Spears in the 2000s not even Lady Gaga. I don't think there will be anybody as successful as her in the near future. Love or hate he music you have to admit that she was one of the most famous people out there for a long time and even today. I think she is considered the queen of pop if you ask me.

Please let's get real, there would be no Britney Spears or Lady Gaga if Madonna never came onto the pop scene.  She is the queen of pop. 

Written By: Howard on 03/31/12 at 6:57 am

No Howard, I was born in 1988, I wasn't even a fetus yet!  ;D

I was 8 years old at that time.

Written By: Howard on 03/31/12 at 6:59 am

Madonna is so old she needs a walking stick in the video!  ;D

She's only 53 not 83 and to this day still looks sexy.

Written By: ExtremeMan8 on 03/31/12 at 7:44 pm

I remember this video. Also Brit and Madonna kissed at VMA before this video.  8)

Yeah haha. I remember that.

Written By: kellygoo72 on 05/15/12 at 12:19 am

No, Madonna is still relevant even though shes a bit kooky.... I dont think Britney or Gaga have what it takes to endure.........

Written By: 80sfan on 05/15/12 at 9:50 am

No, Madonna is still relevant even though shes a bit kooky.... I dont think Britney or Gaga have what it takes to endure.........

Hi kellygoo!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/15/12 at 11:58 pm

NO.

Written By: Howard on 05/16/12 at 6:41 am

At least Britney Spears didn't pose nude like Madonna did in 1979.

Written By: mitch1987 on 05/21/12 at 3:11 pm

I would say Britney was bigger at her peak. I remember there was a lot of hype around Madonna but not near as big as it was with Britney....she was everywhere! I think she may be the last huge star to actually not be effected by torrents and other internet downloads, while still using the internet as a great tool for marketing her and they were able to really play up her age. At 17/18 they were really able to use her to get both younger kids to like her as well as adults. It was marketing at its best and we'll probably never see it again.

Written By: Ashkicksass on 05/21/12 at 4:13 pm

I would say Britney was bigger at her peak. I remember there was a lot of hype around Madonna but not near as big as it was with Britney....she was everywhere! I think she may be the last huge star to actually not be effected by torrents and other internet downloads, while still using the internet as a great tool for marketing her and they were able to really play up her age. At 17/18 they were really able to use her to get both younger kids to like her as well as adults. It was marketing at its best and we'll probably never see it again.

You obviously weren't around in the 80's when Madonna was at her peak.

Britney isn't even in the same category.

Written By: mitch1987 on 05/21/12 at 5:23 pm

lol..I was born in 68 so I was very much around at this time. I remember Madonna being big but not near the Britney hype. 

Written By: Ashkicksass on 05/21/12 at 5:57 pm

lol..I was born in 68 so I was very much around at this time. I remember Madonna being big but not near the Britney hype.

Sorry, but I have to disagree.

Every girl I knew dressed up just like Madonna.  Her cultural affect with songs like "Like a Prayer" and "Express Yourself" and "Truth or Dare" are everlasting.  Britney was a flash in the pan.  Sure, she was incredibly popular for a while, but Madonna has lasted and thrived for the last 30 years.

Written By: mitch1987 on 05/21/12 at 6:55 pm

Every girl I knew dressed up just like Madonna.  Her cultural affect with songs like "Like a Prayer" and "Express Yourself" and "Truth or Dare" are everlasting.  Britney was a flash in the pan.  Sure, she was incredibly popular for a while, but Madonna has lasted and thrived for the last 30 years.

Well we can disagree then..for the record.. while neither were the type of music I liked at the time, I like both of them about equal. They both were great for the industry and were definitely the 2 biggest female stars.

Written By: meesa on 05/21/12 at 7:30 pm

in my opinion, no. Madonna broke new ground, and Brit didn't break any ground at all

Written By: Ashkicksass on 05/21/12 at 9:25 pm

in my opinion, no. Madonna broke new ground, and Brit didn't break any ground at all

Exactly.

And the internet wasn't around at Madonna's peak.  The media was different too.  That was before we knew every detail about every celebrity on earth.  So if it doesn't seem like Madonna was as popular it's probably because we didn't have TMZ.

Lastly, Madonna was around long before Britney Spears, and she is still around after Britney Spears. 

Written By: 80sfan on 05/21/12 at 10:48 pm

Exactly.

And the internet wasn't around at Madonna's peak.  The media was different too.  That was before we knew every detail about every celebrity on earth.  So if it doesn't seem like Madonna was as popular it's probably because we didn't have TMZ.

Lastly, Madonna was around long before Britney Spears, and she is still around after Britney Spears.

I agree with you that Madonna was bigger than Britney in the 80s, but you do know that Britney is still around right?

Written By: Howard on 05/22/12 at 6:44 am

Madonna was at her peak I think it was in 1983.

Written By: Howard on 05/22/12 at 6:45 am

and as of this day she continues to sing.

Written By: Howard on 05/22/12 at 6:47 am

I agree with you that Madonna was bigger than Britney in the 80s, but you do know that Britney is still around right?

Britney is still around.

Written By: Inertia on 05/22/12 at 9:49 am

I personally don't believe she was ever bigger than Madonna, but I remember when she was really popular.

Hell even I liked her for a short amount of time when she first came on the scene.

However, now her popularity has faded significantly, and honestly Madonna's music has much more staying power than Britney's.

Written By: meesa on 05/22/12 at 10:35 am

I can see everyone's point, but, I think there are several reasons why Madonna has had more staying power than Britney:
Madonna surrounded herself with talented writers, musicians and staff; always has. I don't think Britney has had that advantage.
Madonna kept reinventing herself, every time showing us something fresh and new. Britney, to me, has not accomplished this.
Madonna is her own person, very much 'captain' of her own ship' and did not allow others to run any of her bid'ness. Here again, I think Britney has not had this advantage.
Madonna could be very controversial, but not to the point of complete ridiculous (in her personal life and on stage). Now, some could say that's debatable, but really, Madonna did not shave her head, get crazy and lose her children. She is provocative but not self-destructive.
Madonna was polarizing, you loved her or hated her; Britney does not evoke a love or hate thing as strongly.
Madonna has her 'pop' side, but has crossed over and had some semi-politic messages in her music. I can't recall Britney every going in that direction.
Madonna is business savvy and knows what sells. I think Britney leaves much of those decisions to someone else.

Is Britney still around? Yes. But-unless she makes herself relevant, she will become another casualty of fame instead of a survivor like Madge.

Sorry, looks like I wrote a book didn't I?  ;D

Written By: Ashkicksass on 05/22/12 at 10:48 am

I can see everyone's point, but, I think there are several reasons why Madonna has had more staying power than Britney:
Madonna surrounded herself with talented writers, musicians and staff; always has. I don't think Britney has had that advantage.
Madonna kept reinventing herself, every time showing us something fresh and new. Britney, to me, has not accomplished this.
Madonna is her own person, very much 'captain' of her own ship' and did not allow others to run any of her bid'ness. Here again, I think Britney has not had this advantage.
Madonna could be very controversial, but not to the point of complete ridiculous (in her personal life and on stage). Now, some could say that's debatable, but really, Madonna did not shave her head, get crazy and lose her children. She is provocative but not self-destructive.
Madonna was polarizing, you loved her or hated her; Britney does not evoke a love or hate thing as strongly.
Madonna has her 'pop' side, but has crossed over and had some semi-politic messages in her music. I can't recall Britney every going in that direction.
Madonna is business savvy and knows what sells. I think Britney leaves much of those decisions to someone else.

Is Britney still around? Yes. But-unless she makes herself relevant, she will become another casualty of fame instead of a survivor like Madge.

Sorry, looks like I wrote a book didn't I?  ;D

*applauds*  :) :) :)

Written By: Howard on 05/22/12 at 7:14 pm

I personally don't believe she was ever bigger than Madonna, but I remember when she was really popular.

Hell even I liked her for a short amount of time when she first came on the scene.

However, now her popularity has faded significantly, and honestly Madonna's music has much more staying power than Britney's.

Madonna's music CD sales still sell.

Written By: Inertia on 05/24/12 at 3:27 pm

Madonna's music CD sales still sell.

Yes, that's true too. Sometimes I also hear about Madonna in the news.

Do you ever hear about Britney Spears anymore? Nope.

Not unless she does something moronic like shave her head.

I bet in 50 years people will still know about Madonna. Do you think the same will be said of Britney? I highly doubt it. Not unless she makes a serious comeback.

Written By: Howard on 05/24/12 at 7:09 pm

Yes, that's true too. Sometimes I also hear about Madonna in the news.

Do you ever hear about Britney Spears anymore? Nope.

Not unless she does something moronic like shave her head.

I bet in 50 years people will still know about Madonna. Do you think the same will be said of Britney? I highly doubt it. Not unless she makes a serious comeback.

Last time I heard Britney in the news was about her child and that was it.

Written By: Inertia on 05/24/12 at 8:43 pm

Last time I heard Britney in the news was about her child and that was it.

That's kind of funny. XD

I bet it'll be the same for Justin Bieber in a few years. No one will hear about him anymore except on rare occasions either. I personally do not like his music. I'm glad I was quite a bit out of high school by the time his junk became popular!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/24/12 at 11:19 pm

I think I still have pics of her vajay-jay on my hard drive.
:-[

Written By: Howard on 05/25/12 at 6:08 am

I think I still have pics of her vajay-jay on my hard drive.
:-[

How about Madonna's from 1979?  ;)

Written By: Howard on 05/25/12 at 6:09 am

That's kind of funny. XD

I bet it'll be the same for Justin Bieber in a few years. No one will hear about him anymore except on rare occasions either. I personally do not like his music. I'm glad I was quite a bit out of high school by the time his junk became popular!

I don't care for Justin Bieber.

Written By: Inertia on 05/25/12 at 8:21 am

I don't care for Justin Bieber.

I think mostly teenage girls like him.  ::)

I'll stick to David Bowie. :]

Written By: ExtremeMan8 on 05/25/12 at 3:38 pm

That's kind of funny. XD

Britney Spears is much more famous than Justin Bieber though. If in 10 years everyone forgets about Justin Bieber, Britney will still be famous and people will always remember her.

Written By: Howard on 05/25/12 at 7:25 pm

I think mostly teenage girls like him.  ::)

I'll stick to David Bowie. :]

and I'll stick to my oldies and that's it.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/25/12 at 8:36 pm

How about Madonna's from 1979?  ;)

Yup.
:)

Written By: Howard on 05/26/12 at 6:15 am

Yup.
:)

I should've known.  ::)

;D

Check for new replies or respond here...