inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Windows XP

Written By: singer on 06/20/12 at 5:51 am

Do you guys miss Windows XP? I mean Windows 7 is nice, but I don't think it will come to symbolize an era like XP did. Anyone agree?

Subject: Re: Windows XP

Written By: yelimsexa on 06/20/12 at 7:56 am

At work my office still uses Window XP Professional, and many still do as Microsoft still support it, so it's still a bit too soon to really say that I "miss" it. It's lasted over a decade for many, as many will skip over the Vista and 7 eras and go right to 8 when it comes out in the fall or shortly after. Its lasted much longer than any other version; for instance by the time Windows 95 was about five years old, it was already a thing of the past as Windows 98 and 2000 really made that seem like a joke.

At home I use Windows 7, though I may have to get used to the new "tabletesque" design of Windows 8, so I may wait awhile for that version since Windows 7 still feels very desktop and notebook friendly.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 06/20/12 at 10:24 am

Windows XP was great for its time. I used it for about 8 years; from 2001 until 2009.

But if I would really miss it today I would install it. And that is not the case since it is really dated now and the compatibility is not that great anymore.

Written By: Howard on 06/20/12 at 2:08 pm

No I don't miss Windows XP I prefer what I have now.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 06/20/12 at 2:16 pm

Not XP, but I do feel some nostalgia for Windows 98. That was the OS on my very first PC, so it brings back memories of my early days on the net.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 06/20/12 at 3:00 pm

Not XP, but I do feel some nostalgia for Windows 98.

Agree! Windows 98 is the most recent Windows which looks really really old in comparison to the actual one; maybe Windows 2000, too. More than 11 years have passed now since my last usage of '98 on a regular base, so I feel a lot more nostalgia for it. I am still exposed to XP at my university... therefore definetly no nostalgia.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 06/20/12 at 5:10 pm

I still use Windows XP.  :-[

Written By: nally on 06/20/12 at 5:25 pm

I still use it from time to time as well. I liked the design of it, as well as the applications.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 06/20/12 at 5:55 pm

I still use it from time to time as well. I liked the design of it, as well as the applications.

I still use XP because I'm still using the same computer I bought new back in 2004. For the most part it still works fine and it doesn't seem all that old until I consider that I was also using one of these in 2004:

http://www.brandhub.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/nokia-phone.jpg

Good grief...you think it's time I bought a new computer?  ::)

Written By: Starde on 06/20/12 at 7:33 pm

Not XP, but I do feel some nostalgia for Windows 98. That was the OS on my very first PC, so it brings back memories of my early days on the net.

Same here! I remember the first computer that my family ever got was a Gateway computer back in 1999 and it had Windows '98. That was my first exposure to it. I remember using Microsoft Encarta '99 often on that computer. The last time I remember using it regularly was some time in the early 00's. By 2003, I fully switched over to Windows XP. I liked it, though I still missed Windows '98. I would definitely take it over Vista and those subsequent editions. I'm now a Mac user, but I have some fond memories of using XP when it was popular.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1NzShHrTj4&feature=related

Oh man, this brings back so many memories. I used to love watching that maze screensaver as a kid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T260UBgmxKg

Written By: Macaroni Man on 06/20/12 at 7:39 pm

Well I guess Windows XP was the first client operating system to have that application layer thingy where you don't have to restart the whole computer if one application stops working.  Just terminate that one process using task manager. 

However, you know you're screwed for real when task manager stops working  :o
Although the artwork you could make with a non-responsive windows was beautimous.
http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lrkbv80piL1qf0752.png

As for missing it, I see no logical need to since Windows 7 and Windows 8 is supposed to be an IMPROVEMENT (obviously).  Everything still works on a new operating system that works on an old one, right? 
Actually wrong come to think of it, Windows Movie Maker can only run in an XP environment for some reason.  Windows 7 comes with Windows Live Movie Maker, but that's debatably worse since it doesn't have the timeline layout.  On the other hand, if one actually cared about video production, they'd probably be using a different program by now anyway. 

Written By: nally on 06/20/12 at 10:56 pm

Oh man, this brings back so many memories. I used to love watching that maze screensaver as a kid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T260UBgmxKg

I did too!! :D It was my favorite of the screensavers. Anytime the viewer came across one of those gray geometric things in the path (I always called 'em "rocks" since they were grey), the viewer would turn upside-down and would be on the ceiling until hitting another rock or until they got to the finish line (with the happyface), whichever came first. When I first started using the Windows operating system I would watch that for quite a while.

Written By: ExtremeMan8 on 06/21/12 at 2:47 am

Well I miss Windows XP mainly because of nostolgia and all that but Windows 7 works much better and is much more faster and better. Though I like the design of XP much, much more. Which is why I have the XP design on my Windows 7 Computer! So it's the best of both worlds!  ;D

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 06/21/12 at 2:53 am

Well I miss Windows XP mainly because of nostolgia and all that but Windows 7 works much better and is much more faster and better. Though I like the design of XP much, much more. Which is why I have the XP design on my Windows 7 Computer! So it's the best of both worlds!  ;D

Is Windows 7 really faster than XP? 7 is definetly faster than Vista, but XP? No way.

Written By: ExtremeMan8 on 06/21/12 at 3:01 am

Is Windows 7 really faster than XP? 7 is definetly faster than Vista, but XP? No way.

Yeah the newer ones are always faster and more efficient.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 06/21/12 at 5:02 am

Disagree. The best examples are netbooks on which XP runs always better than Windows 7. XP is doing well even with a small memory.

The argument that newer operating systems are always faster does also not fit if we compare XP with Vista. Newer operating systems need more ressources and space and are therefore generally slower.

Written By: Howard on 06/21/12 at 6:35 am

I remember when I first got Windows 98, it crashed a lot.

Written By: Howard on 06/21/12 at 6:37 am

I still use XP because I'm still using the same computer I bought new back in 2004. For the most part it still works fine and it doesn't seem all that old until I consider that I was also using one of these in 2004:

http://www.brandhub.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/nokia-phone.jpg

Good grief...you think it's time I bought a new computer?  ::)

I remember having a small Nokia phone, it was time to upgrade to a bigger phone.

Written By: Howard on 06/21/12 at 6:40 am

and also upgraded too.

Written By: nally on 06/21/12 at 11:01 am

I remember having a small Nokia phone, it was time to upgrade to a bigger phone.

That looks like the phone I was using a decade ago too!! (Although not exactly.)

Written By: singer on 06/21/12 at 2:22 pm

Me, too! Actually, I hate Windows Vista & 7's design and themes. I prefer the cleanliness of XP.

Written By: singer on 06/21/12 at 2:26 pm

When MS drops XP support, I'll switch to Mac. OS X's design is so much better than that of Vista/7.

Written By: nally on 06/21/12 at 6:30 pm

Me, too! Actually, I hate Windows Vista & 7's design and themes. I prefer the cleanliness of XP.

I've gotten accustomed to Windows Seven for the past 2 1/2 years; it works for me.

Written By: Howard on 06/21/12 at 7:16 pm

That looks like the phone I was using a decade ago too!! (Although not exactly.)

mine was a Nokia and it fit right in my pocket.

Written By: Howard on 06/21/12 at 7:17 pm

I kinda like Windows Vista.

Written By: nally on 06/21/12 at 7:17 pm

mine was a Nokia and it fit right in my pocket.

So did mine.

Written By: Creeder on 06/25/12 at 3:33 pm

Mee too, Windows XP rules. I haven't tried the new ones yet.

Written By: singer on 06/25/12 at 5:13 pm

I've gotten accustomed to Windows Seven for the past 2 1/2 years; it works for me.

Funny thing is my parents are using Win7 but I refuse to use it. I don't like anything except the cooler/better looking MS Games. Other than that I hate the Aero interface (a bad attempt at a Mac OS X copycat). Btw, my laptop came with Vista and I've tried many times getting accustomed to it but I always end going back to XP.

I don't think I'll be using Windows when XP becomes too old; I'd rather switch to Mac or go with a Linux distribution. At least their interfaces/themes change evolutionary since the early 00's and not revolutionary like the change from XP's Luna to Vista/7's Aero. I'm done with MS. ;)

Written By: Martin on 09/20/12 at 2:09 pm

I've recently upgraded to Windows 7 and I don't know why everyone says it's the best. Sure, it might be the most secure Windows ever, but it sucks for usability imo.

What I like:
- built-in .ISO support
- improved security
- the new MS Games

Apart from these I prefer XP.

Written By: wildcard on 09/20/12 at 3:29 pm

I use to have windows XP.  Now I don't know what this crappy office hard drive my brother gave me is other then sucky.

Written By: ExtremeMan8 on 09/22/12 at 1:16 pm

This song describes Windows XP perfectly!  ;D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLxP3V4veJk&feature=related

Written By: Jock on 11/18/12 at 8:33 am

I don't really like newer Windows versions like Vista, 7 & 8.
I'm currently using 7 and I don't like it at all. I'm gonna switch to Mac. :)
Macs are a lot better.

Written By: Slim95 on 11/19/12 at 9:09 am

Windows 7 is actually the best OS by far. Vista and 8 are garbage. Windows XP is just too old (Older than half probably half the people using computers lol) It's 11 years old. It's time to upgrade. I really don't know why people still use it, Windows 7 is great, Windows XP is too old and it's not as good as Windows 7.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 11/19/12 at 9:49 am

I really don't know why people still use it, Windows 7 is great, Windows XP is too old and it's not as good as Windows 7.

Why is Windows 7 better than Windows XP in your opinion? Windows 7 is better than Vista for sure, but what about Windows 7 vs. Windows XP?
Just because it's old does not count.

Written By: Slim95 on 11/19/12 at 1:19 pm

Why is Windows 7 better than Windows XP in your opinion? Windows 7 is better than Vista for sure, but what about Windows 7 vs. Windows XP?

One reason is it's faster

Written By: Jock on 11/19/12 at 4:18 pm

Windows XP is just too old (Older than half probably half the people using computers lol)

That's the reason why today's Internet sucks -- too many kids are ruining it. 8-P
I don't really know why people still use Windows apart from compatibility, it's a pain to use unlike Mac.

Written By: Foo Bar on 11/21/12 at 8:41 pm

I'll go with 7 over XP because 7 supports RAM over 2GB.  XP x64 was never ready for prime-time.  Win7 x64 can take advantage of all the cheap RAM you can throw into the box.  Throw in a solid state drive for rapid boot and you can safely ignore Windows 8.

Qc4JbzPqups

(REBOOT, Canadian style!)

qPZ9EZYx-8M

And if you want your retro gaming fix and GOG hasn't patched/ported it, you can always set up DOSBOX or a full virtual machine running Win98SE and let it run the oldest stuff, while you use the rest of the machine to do whatever it was you were doing when you weren't watching old Bob Rivers parody videos from the mid-90s.

Written By: Inertia on 11/21/12 at 8:50 pm

Windows XP was boss for its time. However, now I see it as practically a dinosaur.

Technology changes fast.

Written By: belmont22 on 11/22/12 at 5:55 am

I do actually. It had a much better Movie Maker.

Written By: Henk on 11/22/12 at 6:16 am

I do actually. It had a much better Movie Maker.

Yeah, the 'new and improved' Live Movie Maker sucks! 8-P

Written By: belmont22 on 11/22/12 at 6:25 am

Yeah, the 'new and improved' Live Movie Maker sucks! 8-P

I know!

Written By: thenewtattoo on 11/23/12 at 4:54 pm

I know!

Microsofts Windows vista was fudgeing terrible . Windows 7 is def an improvement . Xp is good 2 tho lacking many options

Written By: bryan adams on 03/18/13 at 6:09 pm

I think most people don't really feel any nostalgia for XP, probably because it lived way too long than what is normal for an operating system and they just got fed with it. ;) I bet the look and feel of the Luna theme also has to do with that. Even in Windows Classic theme, XP has opaque, light icons that look cartoonish and get boring pretty fast. For me the WOW effect caused by switching to XP from 98 was short-lifted and I mean months. No matter how dull some may consider Windows Classic, it was better than XP's Luna. But even without Luna, XP had ugly icons.

XP is vintage, but not retro cool like 98 and 2000, largely to its Teletubbies look and feel that even Windows Classic couldn't fix (thank god for the Inexperience patch, imo an XP that looks like 2000 is 100% better than XP that looks like itself).

I liked XP for its superior (to 98) security and that it was based on NT, had plug-and-play and superior driver support, etc. but I'm not feeling any nostalgia. I miss Win 98 a lot more, although it was not based on the NT kernel, was less stable and secure, and had no themes. It just felt better than XP to me. I refused switching to Aero for similar reasons, but at least it's a grower, unlike Luna and the ugly XP icons. I bet Win 98 got a lot more nostalgia than XP will ever get. XP was the most widely used Windows for way too long and, in my opinion, Windows 98 and 2000 are better for a truly nostalgia ride on older hardware. I bet that most people get bored the moment when they see the Bliss wallpaper. I guess that's why most people upgraded to Win 7 like crazy, they needed something new.

What makes most people not miss XP is the combination of ugly icons and default theme, and its long-lasting ubiquity.

Written By: bryan adams on 03/18/13 at 6:16 pm

Windows XP was boss for its time. However, now I see it as practically a dinosaur.

Technology changes fast.

Not really. XP is overrated. It was superior in security than Windows 98 because it was based on Windows NT.

The first user-friendly NT-based Windows in my opinion was Vista. XP was just over-hyped. I had more problems with XP than with 98. While XP became the most used OS, you had to tweak it more than Win 98 for it to not become bloated/slow with time. Besides, it was far more prone to viruses than Windows 98 ever was. People make fun of 98 for BSOD, but actually, it ran better than XP. And XP was unstable until SP2, probably that's the reason why most people refused to upgrade to XP way until 2004-2005 and some downgraded to 2000 and even 98.

And XP looked uglier than Windows 9X/Me/2000 with its default theme and ugly icons, that's why more than half XP installations had Luna disabled. Even with a classic theme it had disgusting icons. Vista was the first truly suitable-for-everyone NT version. It's way more user friendly and stable than XP. However, it is a memory hog on most systems, while 7 is both user-friendly and has a lower memory footprint. 2000 and XP were fast, too, but they were nowhere as user-friendly as Vista and 7, and even 98/Me.

Written By: bryan adams on 03/18/13 at 7:18 pm

Sorry about the flood, but I forgot to mention that cosmetics are important to me, and I just thought XP was the ugliest thing I ever saw in my life. For years I used XP thinking to myself that if I had to stare at that ugly green Start button for one more minute, I was going to slit my wrists. I guess I could have switched back to the Classic theme, but somehow XP had a way of make both the new theme and the old theme look ugly at the same time. 98, Me and 2000 look about 100% better than XP, and Vista, 7 and 8 look 200% better than it. ;)

Written By: Slim95 on 03/18/13 at 7:18 pm

Not really. XP is overrated. It was superior in security than Windows 98 because it was based on Windows NT.

The first user-friendly NT-based Windows in my opinion was Vista. XP was just over-hyped. I had more problems with XP than with 98. While XP became the most used OS, you had to tweak it more than Win 98 for it to not become bloated/slow with time. Besides, it was far more prone to viruses than Windows 98 ever was. People make fun of 98 for BSOD, but actually, it ran better than XP. And XP was unstable until SP2, probably that's the reason why most people refused to upgrade to XP way until 2004-2005 and some downgraded to 2000 and even 98.

And XP looked uglier than Windows 9X/Me/2000 with its default theme and ugly icons, that's why more than half XP installations had Luna disabled. Even with a classic theme it had disgusting icons. Vista was the first truly suitable-for-everyone NT version. It's way more user friendly and stable than XP. However, it is a memory hog on most systems, while 7 is both user-friendly and has a lower memory footprint. 2000 and XP were fast, too, but they were nowhere as user-friendly as Vista and 7, and even 98/Me.

No man Vista is way more unstable than XP.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 03/21/13 at 3:00 am

No man Vista is way more unstable than XP.

Agreed. The first real develepment happened with the introduction of Windows 7. An OS I love and even prefer over XP right now.

XP however was the best Windows OS in the 2000s. I had it from 2001-2009!
98 would have been way too old at some point. I already encountered USB problems with it in the early 2000s.

Written By: singer on 03/23/13 at 12:50 pm

Not really. XP was nice in 2001 and 2002, but by 2003 it was already obsolete. Longhorn (early Vista betas) looked better and was more modern. It had transparent windows in 2003!

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 03/23/13 at 1:11 pm

Not really. XP was nice in 2001 and 2002, but by 2003 it was already obsolete. Longhorn (early Vista betas) looked better and was more modern. It had transparent windows in 2003!

Are you joking? It maybe looked more modern, but that was it. What's the point of transparent Windows when your system is slow as hell?

Check for new replies or respond here...