inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Why are the 2000s and 2010s grouped together?

Written By: nintieskid999 on 07/16/12 at 12:58 am

In a lot of ways, the 2010s are the opposite of the 2000s, especially in attitude, clothes, and music.

Subject: Re: Why are the 2000s and 2010s grouped together?

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 07/16/12 at 3:10 am

Because the 2010's are

a) only 2.5 years old
b) only the second decade that starts with a 20** and people still might to have to get used to it

That's my idea.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 07/16/12 at 11:10 am

Yeah, I agree that it's too early, and that the '10s have not had a chance to completely develop their identity yet. In music, for example, there are still artists like Bieber whose popularity has carried over from the late '00s. I do believe though that eventually this decade will be looked back on as being distinctly different.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/16/12 at 11:44 am

Why does 5 come after 4?
:D

Written By: Emman on 07/16/12 at 8:59 pm

Yeah, I agree that it's too early, and that the '10s have not had a chance to completely develop their identity yet. In music, for example, there are still artists like Bieber whose popularity has carried over from the late '00s. I do believe though that eventually this decade will be looked back on as being distinctly different.

In music, I think the dubstep/brostep is the first musical movement of the 2010s(and a music style that will strongly be associated with the '10s in the future).

Written By: nintieskid999 on 07/16/12 at 9:01 pm

Because the 2010's are

a) only 2.5 years old
b) only the second decade that starts with a 20** and people still might to have to get used to it

That's my idea.

Yeah it's annoying some people don't see decade because we are in the 20** times. How is this concept any different than the 19** times?

Written By: Shiv on 07/16/12 at 9:27 pm

Because it's still early in the decade and the 00s are still fresh in everyone's minds.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 07/17/12 at 1:48 am

Yeah it's annoying some people don't see decade because we are in the 20** times. How is this concept any different than the 19** times?

I have seen people (my parents) mixing up events from the 90's and 00's. I think also the age is an aspect which causes that. Maybe once you have reached a certain age, you don't think that much in decades anymore. A few months ago I talked with my father and he talked about 1995. I said, "no, I guess you mean 2005! You skipped a whole decade!". Or once he assigned the year 1991 to a photo which was actually taken in 2002. Since the 2000s there must be a different sense of time and decades maybe...

Another point maybe could be, that most people that are living today were aware of the year 2000. They could count every year since then from 0-12 and have in mind that every year belongs to the same cohort. That was not the case for example for most younger people since the 1950s who were born somewhere within the 20th century.

Written By: ExtremeMan8 on 07/17/12 at 2:05 am

It annoys me that they are grouped together just like early 2000s stuff is grouped together with the 90s. But in a few years the 00s will seem like a more distinct decade.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 07/17/12 at 2:14 am

It annoys me that (...) early 2000s stuff is grouped together with the 90s.

Since this is mostly done by younger (90's born) people who don't know how the 90s really were, I don't care about that.

Written By: Howard on 07/17/12 at 6:30 am

Because it's still early in the decade and the 00s are still fresh in everyone's minds.

The decade is only 2 years old.

Written By: af2010 on 07/17/12 at 2:12 pm

Well if you just look back at the late 00s, not a whole lot has changed.  It'll take a few more years for the 10s to develop its own identity.  Also when people talk about the 00s, they usually refer to it as "the two-thousands", even though people still say "two thousand twelve".  So the name "two thousands" isn't very distinguishable.

Written By: thenewtattoo on 07/17/12 at 7:11 pm

Well if you just look back at the late 00s, not a whole lot has changed.  It'll take a few more years for the 10s to develop its own identity.  Also when people talk about the 00s, they usually refer to it as "the two-thousands", even though people still say "two thousand twelve".  So the name "two thousands" isn't very distinguishable.

yes the way u say  two thousand and  ten  and two thousand and nine

it makes it seem they are the same

Written By: joeman on 07/17/12 at 7:25 pm

Since this is mostly done by younger (90's born) people who don't know how the 90s really were, I don't care about that.

Yes, and it is the 90s born group that is going to be the ones being nostalgic about the 90s as much as ones born in the 70s being nostalgic about the 70s in the 90s.  However, the 90s born will be in their 30s in the 2020s and that is when the 00s nostalgia will kick in.

Written By: Howard on 07/17/12 at 7:26 pm

I would call it twenty-twelve.

Written By: joeman on 07/17/12 at 7:29 pm

I don't know why people are already crapping on the 2010s.  Honestly, I will be in my 30s in 2 and half years and can't wait for my generation to start taking over society and politics.

Written By: whistledog on 07/17/12 at 10:36 pm

Why does 5 come after 4?
:D

Because 7 ate 9

Written By: ExtremeMan8 on 07/18/12 at 12:57 am

I hate when people say "two thousand" at the beginning for every year after 09'. Why make it so much harder on yourselves?

Written By: nintieskid999 on 07/18/12 at 1:05 am

I hate when people say "two thousand" at the beginning for every year after 09'. Why make it so much harder on yourselves?

So should we call this year twelve or twenty twelve? I call it twenty twelve. I like the ring to it.

Written By: ExtremeMan8 on 07/18/12 at 1:18 am

So should we call this year twelve or twenty twelve? I call it twenty twelve. I like the ring to it.

Yeah like twenty ten, twenty eleven, twenty twelve, etc. It's quicker than two thousand and 12...

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 07/18/12 at 1:55 am

Yeah like twenty ten, twenty eleven, twenty twelve, etc. It's quicker than two thousand and 12...

But it becomes a bit difficult in the 2020s again.

Written By: Howard on 07/18/12 at 6:38 am

Because 7 ate 9

;D

Written By: Howard on 07/18/12 at 6:39 am

me too it's much easier to say.

Written By: Starde on 07/18/12 at 9:01 am

But it becomes a bit difficult in the 2020s again.

I wonder what we'll name the 2020s once we enter that decade. When people refer to the 20's today, they're always talking about the 1920s. I'm sure if we start referring to the 2020s as "the 20's", there will be confusion.

Written By: yelimsexa on 07/18/12 at 10:25 am

I wonder what we'll name the 2020s once we enter that decade. When people refer to the 20's today, they're always talking about the 1920s. I'm sure if we start referring to the 2020s as "the 20's", there will be confusion.

Nowadays, the '90s 99.9% of the time refers to the 1990s, whereas the "Gay Nineties" (1890s), which I even heard on the Price is Right in the 1990s about a popcorn machine styled from that era, is basically just for historians and curators nowadays, as nobody alive today could remember anything about that decade. TVTropes already calls this decade "The New Tens" in contrast with the WWI 1910s, which is often grouped with the 1900s given how that decade's events into the next led to WWI. You'll probably hear "Roaring Twenties" at some point in the 2020s that would refer to the 1920s, but given by that point the 1920s will be a full antique era and more of a historian/hardcore study, 1920s will be preferred, just like 1890s is today.

Written By: thenewtattoo on 07/18/12 at 11:32 am

Nowadays, the '90s 99.9% of the time refers to the 1990s, whereas the "Gay Nineties" (1890s), which I even heard on the Price is Right in the 1990s about a popcorn machine styled from that era, is basically just for historians and curators nowadays, as nobody alive today could remember anything about that decade. TVTropes already calls this decade "The New Tens" in contrast with the WWI 1910s, which is often grouped with the 1900s given how that decade's events into the next led to WWI. You'll probably hear "Roaring Twenties" at some point in the 2020s that would refer to the 1920s, but given by that point the 1920s will be a full antique era and more of a historian/hardcore study, 1920s will be preferred, just like 1890s is today.

how would u know that

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 07/18/12 at 11:38 am

how would u know that

nobody knows it yet. it's speculation, and that's what this forum is basically about.

Written By: 80sfan on 07/18/12 at 12:18 pm

Because the economic problems of the 10s started in the 00s so people kinda 'lump' them together.

Written By: thenewtattoo on 07/18/12 at 1:31 pm

Because the economic problems of the 10s started in the 00s so people kinda 'lump' them together.

maybe when the mids start  the late 00s would stopped being grouped with the 2010s

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 07/18/12 at 1:35 pm

maybe when the mids start  the late 00s would stopped being grouped with the 2010s

Is it only the late 00's which are grouped with the 10's? I don't think so.

Written By: thenewtattoo on 07/18/12 at 1:36 pm

Is it only the late 00's which are grouped with the 10's? I don't think so.

Yes  2008 is when Gaga katy  facebook  started  and the elctro pop sound

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 07/18/12 at 1:40 pm

Yes  2008 is when Gaga katy  facebook  started  and the elctro pop sound

In this case it wouldn't be too wrong to group it with these times. I mean... what are four years honestly?

'Problem' is that people group any year from 2000 till today with the 10's.

Written By: thenewtattoo on 07/18/12 at 2:26 pm

In this case it wouldn't be too wrong to group it with these times. I mean... what are four years honestly?

'Problem' is that people group any year from 2000 till today with the 10's.

late 00s - today is almost the same
wait til the mids  we might get some new stuff

Written By: belmont22 on 07/18/12 at 3:09 pm

I think it's mostly because nobody knows what to call either decade, when you can't name a thing linguistically, it's difficult to perceive it as even being a thing at all.

Another reason I think is because everything about modern pop culture is still very much like how things were in 2002, except less 90s. The music popular in America today is basically the kind of music that was already big in Europe in 2002. And television is the same, it's all reality tv and the most popular shows are still The Simpsons and South Park. Spongebob Squarepants is still the most popular children's program. Rap music is still the choice genre too, Eminem is still one of the biggest musicians there is. It's still not really that different, the only exception would be some of the fashion is more colorful but even in that case, it's all about the plain clothes and the tattoos now and 10 years ago it was the same story.

The 2010s just aren't happening.  :-\\

Oh yeah and another thing is that politics is still in that post-9/11 state. Though the war on Iraq is over, Afghanistan is still going on, and while there is no longer a fear of terrorism like there was, the shadow of the Towers still looms over everything in American politics. Obama isn't really any different from Bush in policy, in a way he's as much an extension of Bush as Bush's dad was of Reagan. Obviously America isn't the world but the politics is largely the same story as it was in 2002 in other parts of the world as well.

Written By: thenewtattoo on 07/18/12 at 3:18 pm

I think it's mostly because nobody knows what to call either decade, when you can't name a thing linguistically, it's difficult to perceive it as even being a thing at all.

Another reason I think is because everything about modern pop culture is still very much like how things were in 2002, except less 90s. The music popular in America today is basically the kind of music that was already big in Europe in 2002. And television is the same, it's all reality tv and the most popular shows are still The Simpsons and South Park. Spongebob Squarepants is still the most popular children's program. Rap music is still the choice genre too, Eminem is still one of the biggest musicians there is. It's still not really that different, the only exception would be some of the fashion is more colorful but even in that case, it's all about the plain clothes and the tattoos now and 10 years ago it was the same story.

Oh yeah and another thing is that politics is still in that post-9/11 state. Though the war on Iraq is over, Afghanistan is still going on, and while there is no longer a fear of terrorism like there was, the shadow of the Towers still looms over everything in American politics. Obama isn't really any different from Bush in policy, in a way he's as much an extension of Bush as Bush's dad was of Reagan. Obviously America isn't the world but the politics is largely the same story as it was in 2002 in other parts of the world as well.

(constructive Criticism )
There is so many things wrong with what u wrote i do not know where to start.

Rap is not the choice genre    Dance Pop is        ( Gaga  Katy LMFAO  pitbull ) etc

The Simpsons hasnt been relevant since 1999  it is still on but hardly anyone watches it

Eminem is still one of the biggest musicians there is.  ( wTF????)    Eminem had a comeback album
but his peak was over in 2004.  Lady Gaga and Justin Bieber are more of a success in the 10s
than eminem is in the 10s

Omg are you high lol.  The 80s and avant garde ism has come back from 08 onward
to make clothes more daring    what year are you living in lol

Written By: ExtremeMan8 on 07/18/12 at 3:38 pm

Rap is dead. Nobody watches The Simpsons anymore. Eminem is barely heard of..........

Written By: thenewtattoo on 07/18/12 at 3:41 pm

Rap is dead. Nobody watches The Simpsons anymore. Eminem is barely heard of..........

Extreme when i saw his post i was like WRF lollllllllllllllllll

i had to laugh

Written By: belmont22 on 07/18/12 at 3:42 pm

Rap is not the choice genre    Dance Pop is        ( Gaga  Katy LMFAO  pitbull ) etc

The Simpsons hasnt been relevant since 1999  it is still on but hardly anyone watches it

Eminem is still one of the biggest musicians there is.  ( wTF????)    Eminem had a comeback album
but his peak was over in 2004.  Lady Gaga and Justin Bieber are more of a success in the 10s

Dance pop is huge yes and dominates the charts, but rap is still the kind of music you hear blasting from people's cars the most. I admit it is slowly losing popularity to dance music and dubstep and pop though, but it's still probably king, especially if you count older music from the past 10-15 years that people still listen to.

The Simpsons will always be of the 90s, but it's still extremely popular. It's the most liked show on Facebook and the second most liked show for today on Facebook. http://fanpagelist.com/category/tv-shows/ Most people probably prefer the 90s episodes, and I no longer watch it, but it's still very relevant, it's just not new like it was in the 90s so it's not as much of a phenomena. In the 90s the idea of an animated sitcom was new and exciting and they could explore ideas and content a regular TV show wouldn't ever get away with. Now it's like the air you don't even notice it, but it's still everywhere.

Yes, Eminem's peak was 1999-04, the absolute zenith in 2002 when 8 Mile came out, but he's still extremely popular. At least in the States he was the best selling artist of 2010, I'm pretty sure he sold more records than Lady Gaga did that year. If he put out an album tomorrow it probably wouldn't sell as well but I would bet you it would still go platinum. I'm not an Eminem fan at all or anything, but there's no denying he's still very popular.

Yes the 80s are coming back but it's still only among a minority of people. Unfortunately, most people don't listen to Chromeo or Passion Pit, though they really really should.  ;)

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 07/18/12 at 3:47 pm

Another reason I think is because everything about modern pop culture is still very much like how things were in 2002, except less 90s.The music popular in America today is basically the kind of music that was already big in Europe in 2002. And television is the same, it's all reality tv and the most popular shows are still The Simpsons and South Park. Spongebob Squarepants is still the most popular children's program . Rap music is still the choice genre too, Eminem is still one of the biggest musicians there is. It's still not really that different, the only exception would be some of the fashion is more colorful but even in that case, it's all about the plain clothes and the tattoos now and 10 years ago it was the same story.

Oh yeah and another thing is that politics is still in that post-9/11 state. Though the war on Iraq is over, Afghanistan is still going on, and while there is no longer a fear of terrorism like there was, the shadow of the Towers still looms over everything in American politics. Obama isn't really any different from Bush in policy, in a way he's as much an extension of Bush as Bush's dad was of Reagan.

That's a great point and that's exactly how I feel!

It is obvious that somebody who was still a kid in the early 2000's thinks differently about this. But it is like you said! It's still, maybe on a superficial base, pretty much like 10 years ago with a bit more technology and a slight but not extreme change of fashion. Although the music is more melodic today it shares a lot with 2002 music.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 07/18/12 at 3:53 pm

That probably the reason why they are broadcasting two episodes each evening on free TV over here in Germany.  ::)

And that's also probably the reason why they still produce new episodes... because nobody is watching it  ::)

Written By: thenewtattoo on 07/18/12 at 6:29 pm

Dance pop is huge yes and dominates the charts, but rap is still the kind of music you hear blasting from people's cars the most. I admit it is slowly losing popularity to dance music and dubstep and pop though, but it's still probably king, especially if you count older music from the past 10-15 years that people still listen to.

The Simpsons will always be of the 90s, but it's still extremely popular. It's the most liked show on Facebook and the second most liked show for today on Facebook. http://fanpagelist.com/category/tv-shows/ Most people probably prefer the 90s episodes, and I no longer watch it, but it's still very relevant, it's just not new like it was in the 90s so it's not as much of a phenomena. In the 90s the idea of an animated sitcom was new and exciting and they could explore ideas and content a regular TV show wouldn't ever get away with. Now it's like the air you don't even notice it, but it's still everywhere.

Yes, Eminem's peak was 1999-04, the absolute zenith in 2002 when 8 Mile came out, but he's still extremely popular. At least in the States he was the best selling artist of 2010, I'm pretty sure he sold more records than Lady Gaga did that year. If he put out an album tomorrow it probably wouldn't sell as well but I would bet you it would still go platinum. I'm not an Eminem fan at all or anything, but there's no denying he's still very popular.

Yes the 80s are coming back but it's still only among a minority of people. Unfortunately, most people don't listen to Chromeo or Passion Pit, though they really really should.  ;)

Let me catch my breath lol

The only rap that is blasted in the cars is DRAKE OR JAy Z  or possibly lil wayne
Yes there are those ppl who think its 2004 and play Laffy Taffy or sum sheesh
but it is very very very rare  to see someone do that.

The Simpsons is never talked about in the media nor refrenced . Yes it gets average ratings for Fox thats why fox keeps it on the air

No he wasnt  LAdy Gagas the Fame Monster was      Lady gaga over shadowed Eminem in every way  on every Channel  E  MTV  VH1 CNN BRAVO  His single may have sold very well however in terms of singles sold and radio airplay Gaga  overshadows him in every  form.

The 80s already came and left
they came in 2005 and left in 2012

Written By: Emman on 07/18/12 at 6:48 pm

Yeah rap/hip-hop has been declining in popularity for years now, skinny jeans are considered fashionable now in the hip-hop community, I couldn't imagine a rapper in 2002 wearing skinny jeans and be taken seriously. The Simpsons in particular has not been relevant since the late '90s, I bet most people don't even know it is still airing, South Park is less revelant too. I'd say dubstep is the most distinctive "new thing" for the '09-'12 period, I hear it everywhere, at my tech college, on every other commercial, ect. On the other hand it has been hard to pin down a dominant distinctive "look" or fashion since the '90s because there is so many niches/subculture coexisting but none having a monopoly, in a lot of instances distinguishing 2002 from 2012(like on tv shows, movies) can be pretty hard but women's fashion has evolved somewhat.

On the political arena(this is me speculating), I think we are at the beginning of a liberal era(I think the last one was from around 1933-1980), not so much socially liberal but economics wise, the deregulation/laissez faire worldview has been pretty dominant since the late '70s/'80s in the US. There is even talk of capitalism becoming more unpopular in various countries in the face of the severe economic crisis. The global economic crisis will shake up the political world for sure, and protesting has come back in vogue big time.

Written By: MarkMc1990 on 07/18/12 at 6:51 pm

It's too early for the 10s to have their own style yet. The cusp years between decades always seem to have their own type of music that's different from the core of each decade

late 70s/early 80s was disco
late 80s/early 90s was hair metal
late 90s/early 00s was boy bands
late 00s/early 10s is dance pop

rock and roll usually characterizes the core 70s
synthpop usually characterizes the core 80s
grunge usually characterizes the core 90s
rap usually characterizes the core 00s

Then again I wasn't alive until '90 so I could be way off, lol. In that case, feel free to tear this post to shreds :P

Written By: ExtremeMan8 on 07/18/12 at 6:56 pm

It's too early for the 10s to have their own style yet. The cusp years between decades always seem to have their own type of music that's different from the core of each decade

Then again I wasn't alive until '90 so I could be way off, lol. In that case, feel free to tear this post to shreds :P

I agree with you. The middle of the decade usually defines the music as well. So as we move on to the 10's we will get a taste of what the music will be like.

Written By: MarkMc1990 on 07/18/12 at 7:06 pm

I agree with you. The middle of the decade usually defines the music as well. So as we move on to the 10's we will get a taste of what the music will be like.

And now I just thought of

core 60s: British Invasion
late 60s/early 70s: psychedelic rock

would that be correct?

Written By: Howard on 07/18/12 at 7:49 pm

easy... the twenty-twenties.

Written By: Howard on 07/18/12 at 7:51 pm

That probably the reason why they are broadcasting two episodes each evening on free TV over here in Germany.  ::)

And that's also probably the reason why they still produce new episodes... because nobody is watching it  ::)

I watch The Simpsons once in a while.

Written By: Howard on 07/18/12 at 7:52 pm

And now I just thought of

core 60s: British Invasion
late 60s/early 70s: psychedelic rock

would that be correct?

Yes that's correct Mark.

Written By: belmont22 on 07/18/12 at 7:53 pm

Yes and no. I mean, the first and even second year of a decade tend to more resemble the image of the decade that just ended, but if you look at 1970, 1980, 1990 and 2000, they all had seeds of what was to come. Even 1969, 1979, 1989 and 1999 had seeds of the decade that was not yet started. This decade on the other hand is composed of trends that began back in 2005/2006. Skinny jeans, social networks, dubstep, all these things were semi-popular already by 2005. Not only that but a lot of central things about early 00s pop culture are still with us.

I used to think the 2010s were pretty different from the 2000s but I think it was just wishful thinking. The overall feeling of being alive in 2012 just doesn't feel different in a meaningful way from being alive in 2002, 2004 or 2007. Not only that but there isn't really any sign of an emerging culture that is new like there was in 1972, 1982, and 1992.

Written By: Emman on 07/18/12 at 8:09 pm

Yes and no. I mean, the first and even second year of a decade tend to more resemble the image of the decade that just ended, but if you look at 1970, 1980, 1990 and 2000, they all had seeds of what was to come. Even 1969, 1979, 1989 and 1999 had seeds of the decade that was not yet started. This decade on the other hand is composed of trends that began back in 2005/2006. Skinny jeans, social networks, dubstep, all these things were semi-popular already by 2005. Not only that but a lot of central things about early 00s pop culture are still with us.

I used to think the 2010s were pretty different from the 2000s but I think it was just wishful thinking. The overall feeling of being alive in 2012 just doesn't feel different in a meaningful way from being alive in 2002, 2004 or 2007. Not only that but there isn't really any sign of an emerging culture that is new like there was in 1972, 1982, and 1992.

What a minute, so by this logic the '90s are just '80s lite because gangsta rap and alternative rock began to emerge around '86. Also dubstep was not semi-popular in '05, it was fully underground even in the UK, 2011 has been seen as the breakthrough year for dubstep the mainstream music scene. In 1982 in particular was continuing the new wave/synthpop trend that began around '77/'78, it became even more mainstream in '82/'83, new wave and even synthpop were already a couple of years old by the time '82 rolled around, I guess MTV might count as the big new thing in '82? ???

Even the guy that wrote retromania acknowledges dubstep as the big "new" thing of our times

One of the few 21st Century candidates when it comes to linearity in the old fashioned sense (musical evolution, audience expansion, crossover into unconquered territories) is dubstep. The original fans of course see the path taken by the sound through wobble into brostep as a devolution. But (c.f. rave>jungle and techno>gabba in the 90s, or indeed the history of metal itself), devolution is still a form of linearity.

Bass-tardisation is a direction. In this case (brostep), it is also -- as a centripetal, scene-forming/genre-conforming drive -- a force working against entropy. In favour of massification. Just look at the scale of the raves in America now. 

This is a New Thing that is selling (but it's selling tickets, not records).

It also seems to be serving as the locus of generational identity.  Whether any content will emerge beyond "let's go crazy" and "the parents will find this incomprehensible" is yet to be seen.

Written By: belmont22 on 07/18/12 at 8:13 pm

What a minute, so by this logic the '90s are just '80s lite because gangsta rap and alternative rock began to emerge around '86. Also dubstep was not semi-popular in '05, it was fully underground even in the UK, 2011 has been seen as the breakthrough year for dubstep the mainstream music scene. In 1982 in particular was continuing the new wave/synthpop trend that began around '77/'78, it became even more mainstream in '82/'83, new wave and even synthpop were already a couple of years old by the time '82 rolled around, I guess MTV might count as the big new thing in '82? ???

True about dubstep, yeah I don't think anyone had really even heard of it until maybe 2008. Alternative rock actually dates back to the 70s, but grunge wasn't really popular at all until 1989 and not in a big way until 1992. Gangsta rap wasn't big until 1989 either. I guess what I'm saying is that there hasn't been a huge change since 2006, I'd say the change in the mid 00s was greater than the change circa 2010, and not only that but by 1992 most early 80s culture was dead and buried, by 2002 most early 90s culture was too, but today is still like probably 40% the same stuff that was big in the early 00s.

Written By: Emman on 07/18/12 at 8:22 pm

True about dubstep, yeah I don't think anyone had really even heard of it until maybe 2008. Alternative rock actually dates back to the 70s, but grunge wasn't really popular at all until 1989 and not in a big way until 1992. Gangsta rap wasn't big until 1989 either. I guess what I'm saying is that there hasn't been a huge change since 2006, I'd say the change in the mid 00s was greater than the change circa 2010, and not only that but by 1992 most early 80s culture was dead and buried, by 2002 most early 90s culture was too, but today is still like probably 40% the same stuff that was big in the early 00s.

I will say the biggest '00s holdover in the 2010s has to be reality tv, for some reason it just keeps hanging on, reality tv defines the zeitgeist of the '00s.

Written By: ExtremeMan8 on 07/18/12 at 8:28 pm

I will say the biggest '00s holdover in the 2010s has to be reality tv, for some reason it just keeps hanging on, reality tv defines the zeitgeist of the '00s.

Wasn't there reality TV in the 80s? I know I remember seeing an 80s episode of Family Feud a while back.

Written By: belmont22 on 07/18/12 at 8:45 pm

Very true.

Written By: MarkMc1990 on 07/18/12 at 9:05 pm

Wasn't there reality TV in the 80s? I know I remember seeing an 80s episode of Family Feud a while back.

I don't think game shows really count. If they did then reality tv would be almost as old as television itself.

When people say reality tv, they mean stuff like Survivor, Big Brother, American Idol, America's Next Top Model, and all those trashy MTV/VH1 ones.

The Real World premiered in '92 though.

Written By: ExtremeMan8 on 07/18/12 at 9:11 pm

I don't think game shows really count. If they did then reality tv would be almost as old as television itself.

When people say reality tv, they mean stuff like Survivor, Big Brother, American Idol, America's Next Top Model, and all those trashy MTV/VH1 ones.

So like "Laguna Beach" and "The Hills" too?

Written By: nintieskid999 on 07/18/12 at 9:14 pm

Not really. There was more variety on TV in 02 and almost all of the music today is influenced by dance. In addition, there is less of a rock influence. Fashion is also more colorful and bright as opposed to the plainer and baggier early 00s fashion. You never saw many neon outfits around in 02. Also, the economy is much worse in a lot of places and the gas prices are higher. It's much less laid back than times before 08. There was no YouTube or social networking sites. Websites were quirkier and the internet still had that wild west feel.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 07/18/12 at 9:15 pm

Oddly there are more reality shows on now than in the 00s. You think they would have died down already.

Written By: MarkMc1990 on 07/18/12 at 9:18 pm

So like "Laguna Beach" and "The Hills" too?

Yep. And Keeping Up With the Kardashians and its spin-offs. All those kinds of shows. Those are the ones I wish would stay behind in the 00s, they're pointless and stupid. The ones I pointed out, like Survivor and American Idol, are more like extended season-long game shows though so I actually hope those stick around for years to come ^_^

I actually have a feeling reality tv isn't going anywhere anytime soon though. It's its own genre now...expecting it to go away would be like expecting sports programs or kids cartoons to go away. It's just not going to happen.

Written By: ExtremeMan8 on 07/19/12 at 5:48 am

Yep. And Keeping Up With the Kardashians and its spin-offs. All those kinds of shows. Those are the ones I wish would stay behind in the 00s, they're pointless and stupid. The ones I pointed out, like Survivor and American Idol, are more like extended season-long game shows though so I actually hope those stick around for years to come ^_^

I actually have a feeling reality tv isn't going anywhere anytime soon though. It's its own genre now...expecting it to go away would be like expecting sports programs or kids cartoons to go away. It's just not going to happen.

That's true. Jersey Shore is talked about a lot as well.

Written By: ExtremeMan8 on 07/19/12 at 5:50 am

Early 2000s cars and today's cars look different as well. A 2002 Honda Civic looks noticeably different than today's like it is from another decade. Just like how 80s and 90s cars looked different. 1992 and 1982.

Written By: singer on 07/19/12 at 6:06 am

I prefer early 2000's European and Japanese cars to their recent successors. ;)

Written By: Howard on 07/19/12 at 6:52 am

No 80's was more of a family sitcom type of tv.

Written By: Howard on 07/19/12 at 6:55 am

Reality TV started I think in 2000, I started becoming interested in Survivor and American Idol but then after a while I lost my attention to the shows altogether. They became boring and stupid.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 07/19/12 at 7:00 am

Early 2000s cars and today's cars look different as well. A 2002 Honda Civic looks noticeably different than today's like it is from another decade. Just like how 80s and 90s cars looked different. 1992 and 1982.

This is a 1982 VW Golf:

http://static.cargurus.com/images/site/2009/02/13/06/49/1982_volkswagen_golf-pic-2087.jpeg

and this is a 1992 VW Golf:

http://www.autoplenum.de/Bilder/P/p0008503/VW/VW-Golf-1-6--1992-1996-.jpg

and this is a 2002 VW Golf:

http://www.maximum-cars.com/Cars/Volkswagen/2002-golf-gti-25th-anniversary.jpg

vs a 2012 VW Golf:

http://volkswagenutah.files.wordpress.com/2011/06/vw-golf-2012-2.jpg

...where is the bigger difference?

1982 vs 1992 are like different worlds, however early 00's cars are harder to distinguish from today's cars.

I think there was a style invented in the 90's which let cars not look too old today even if they are 10-20 years old. Same goes for various technological gadgets.

Written By: belmont22 on 07/19/12 at 2:02 pm

I actually think the car from 1992 looks pretty old, but yeah 1982-92 is the biggest jump, i'd say the 92 resembles an 02 a bit more than an 82.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 07/19/12 at 2:17 pm

I actually think the car from 1992 looks pretty old, but yeah 1982-92 is the biggest jump, i'd say the 92 resembles an 02 a bit more than an 82.

Yes I agree. The 92 looks quite old now. But it had already that more rounded shape that even today's cars have. And that's the reason why I doubt that the difference between a '02 vs a '12 or '92 vs '02 is exactly like '82 vs '92. There was just too much development in terms of design in the early 90's.

Written By: ExtremeMan8 on 07/19/12 at 3:09 pm

The 82' and 92' ones look kinda similar to me.  :o I would say judging from these photos the biggest jump is from 92' to 02'.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 07/19/12 at 3:18 pm

The 82' and 92' ones look kinda similar to me.  :o I would say judging from these photos the biggest jump is from 92' to 02'.

No, I don't think so. The 82 one is a typical 70's/80's boxy car and the 92 one is more rounded which was typical for that time.

Written By: Emman on 07/19/12 at 4:07 pm

This is a 1982 VW Golf:

http://static.cargurus.com/images/site/2009/02/13/06/49/1982_volkswagen_golf-pic-2087.jpeg

and this is a 1992 VW Golf:

Um, they look very very similar to me, almost no difference ???

and this is a 2002 VW Golf:

http://www.maximum-cars.com/Cars/Volkswagen/2002-golf-gti-25th-anniversary.jpg

vs a 2012 VW Golf:

...where is the bigger difference?

The shape of these two cars look different for one, the '12 car is more sleeker looking, you just gave an example of the greater difference in cars from '02 vs '12 than '82 vs '92. I mean are we looking at the same cars? :o

Written By: Emman on 07/19/12 at 4:20 pm

No, I don't think so. The 82 one is a typical 70's/80's boxy car and the 92 one is more rounded which was typical for that time.

Both the '82 model and '92 model have a boxy shape(hell, the same shape), all I see with these car pics is a gradual evolution to a more egg shaped car style.
The only significant difference I see between the '82 and '92 car pics is the '92 car is red. ;D

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 07/19/12 at 4:37 pm

Both the '82 model and '92 model have a boxy shape(hell, the same shape), all I see with these car pics is a gradual evolution to a more egg shaped car style.
The only significant difference I see between the '82 and '92 car pics is the '92 car is red. ;D

Here is another picture of an 1982 Golf. Does it still look like the same?

http://www.rsiauto.fr/images/VOLKSWAGEN/Golf-GTI-1800/Golf-GTI-1800-1.jpg

1992:

I am maybe to used to that typical German car that the difference is too obvious for me. Maybe my first picture was not very good.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 07/19/12 at 4:44 pm

, you just gave an example of the greater difference in cars from '02 vs '12 than '82 vs '92.

I have to admit that the '02 style was already around in 1997. This is the Golf style of 2004, so it came out only 2 years later. That looks even more similar to the '12 one:

http://www.autoplenum.de/Bilder/P/p0015983/VW/VW-Golf-2-0-TDI-D--2004-2008-.jpg

vs. 2012:

Written By: elr on 07/19/12 at 4:47 pm

These pictures don't do the cars justice, in terms of basis of comparison. I have ridden inside a White 1982 Golf and it was late 70's - early 80's looking, especially the interior, just a little more boxy and 80'sish than probably the 70's version.  It had rainbow stripes down the seats. 

Written By: Emman on 07/19/12 at 6:16 pm

I have to admit that the '02 style was already around in 1997. This is the Golf style of 2004, so it came out only 2 years later. That looks even more similar to the '12 one:

http://www.autoplenum.de/Bilder/P/p0015983/VW/VW-Golf-2-0-TDI-D--2004-2008-.jpg

vs. 2012:

Now they look very similar, but it takes like 25-30 years before car designs start to look noticeable removed from their previous time periods, a lot of cars from the mid '60s to early '80s are pretty hard to distinguish based on basic sizes and styles, I haven't noticed abrupt car design changes comparing just 10 year differences(other than the change from the 1930s to 1940s), the changes are usually far more gradual .

Written By: singer on 07/20/12 at 5:19 am

But then again, Fords are nothing like they used to be in the Early 2000s:

A 2002 Ford Fiesta:
http://www.autointell.com/nao_companies/ford/ford_cars/ford-fiesta-02/Fiesta-02-front-300-189.jpg
And you all know how the current Fiesta looks like, 'cos it's available in the US. ;)

In a way, I prefer the Ford designs from the early-mid 00's, the newer kinetic ones look too much like all other cars, e.g. like Kia/Hyundai's fluid designs and Peugeot came with such stretched headlights in 1998!

Written By: singer on 07/20/12 at 5:26 am

IMO, the 1999-2005 VW Jetta MK4 (known as Bora over here) looked better:
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/EDITORIAL/editorial_images/volkswagen_bora.jpg

than the Mk5 Jetta (2005-2010):
http://www.car.com/images/2006/Volkswagen/Jetta_GLI_Staff/400/06_VW_JettaGLI_06.jpg

It had a sleeker, cleaner design, while the VW Jetta Mk5 looks like too obese and over-styled.  ;)

Written By: Emman on 07/20/12 at 2:16 pm

To the OP I don't notice anyone lumping the '00s and '10s together, in fact I hear people say "back in the early 2000s, so and so happened"(I heard this today in fact ;)).

Written By: singer on 07/20/12 at 3:59 pm

Emman, in my country at least people group the 2000's and the 2010's together. And I think I like it. The 10's don't have a distinct feel to them so far, they are too similar to the very late 00's in my opinion (2008-2009).

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 07/20/12 at 4:03 pm

they are too similar to the very late 00's in my opinion (2008-2009).

What did you expect? On January 01, 2010, 12:00 A.M. everything changes immediatly, just because a new decade begins?

Written By: belmont22 on 07/20/12 at 4:36 pm

Emman, in my country at least people group the 2000's and the 2010's together. And I think I like it. The 10's don't have a distinct feel to them so far, they are too similar to the very late 00's in my opinion (2008-2009).

The way I see it really is 2000-2005 was like the '90s minor' and 2006 to present, probably up to 2020 if not later is a distinct era.

Written By: singer on 07/21/12 at 7:07 am

What did you expect? On January 01, 2010, 12:00 A.M. everything changes immediatly, just because a new decade begins?

Well 2002 was more different than 1998 and 1999 and even 2000 than 2012 is compared to 2008, 2009 and 2010. I guess it's different with every decade. In 2002 teen pop was already dead (ex teen pop singers were releasing more mature, urban-sounding singles). A lot of teen pop bands disbanded in 2000-2002 and by 2003 the 90's were over in my opinion. Our local music scene also shifted in 2001.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 07/21/12 at 8:35 am

Well 2002 was more different than 1998 and 1999 and even 2000 than 2012 is compared to 2008, 2009 and 2010. I guess it's different with every decade.

A lot of people think that this was not the case. I agree with your statement, but it is probably caused because I was (we were) younger back then. Being 16 vs. 12 seems more distant than being 26 vs. 22, so it was maybe just an illusion that the late 90's were so different from 2002.

Written By: Shiv on 07/21/12 at 11:36 am

But then again, Fords are nothing like they used to be in the Early 2000s:

A 2002 Ford Fiesta:
http://www.autointell.com/nao_companies/ford/ford_cars/ford-fiesta-02/Fiesta-02-front-300-189.jpg
And you all know how the current Fiesta looks like, 'cos it's available in the US. ;)

In a way, I prefer the Ford designs from the early-mid 00's, the newer kinetic ones look too much like all other cars, e.g. like Kia/Hyundai's fluid designs and Peugeot came with such stretched headlights in 1998!

I'm personally not a big fan of the "new Hyundai look" that everyone is increasingly emulating, too overdone imo, but it is a pretty big departure from previous auto design and is probably what is going to set 00s and 10s cars apart. The 2011 Hyundai Sonata was the first car since the 1996 Ford Taurus that made me go "woah!"

Written By: thenewtattoo on 07/21/12 at 12:44 pm

A lot of people think that this was not the case. I agree with your statement, but it is probably caused because I was (we were) younger back then. Being 16 vs. 12 seems more distant than being 26 vs. 22, so it was maybe just an illusion that the late 90's were so different from 2002.

times seems more far apart if you have nothing to refrence

Written By: yelimsexa on 07/23/12 at 8:03 am

I remembered grouping the 1980s and '90s together back in the mid-late '90s, as both decades seemed like "the contemporary world" at the time, when the '80s weren't yet "vintage" and you could still hear some '80s songs on all but the latest hits radio stations, many major TV stations still aired reruns of '80s shows, '80s cars were common on the road with the '90s ones, plus they were the only two decades at the time when personal computers were mainstream, the Baby Boomers were still young enough to have children, all of Generation X  were either teens and young adults, and both have that "mall culture" feel. As it turns out, they are still grouped together with regards to Generation Y/Millenials birth years and also is the only time VHS tapes will ever be popular. We can group the 2000s and 2010s for the same reasons, both being the "contemporary world" to the present, with the Internet and cellphones being a 24/7 influence in life, Reality TV being the popular genre, Hollywood divided between money-making Blockbusters and art-house Oscar contenders, and hip hop/electronic pop now the preeminent music genres. That said, the first half of the 2000s does feel dated as we've pointed out, but not enough to still connect to the 2010s, just like how the first half of the 1980s still connects to the 1990s (video game systems, Michael Jackson still somewhat popular).

Written By: Todd Pettingzoo on 08/07/12 at 12:50 am

I think more than half of mainsteam music still had asomewhat of a 90's twang to it. Up until around 2008/2009 anyway.

Check for new replies or respond here...