inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 80's Nostalgia in the 00's

Written By: Starde on 07/16/12 at 10:17 am

I'm probably gonna end up answering my own question in this thread, but I'll still ask anyway since I'm interested in hearing your comments on the subject. This all started when I was talking with a friend about the 90's and we ended up agreeing that now would be too early for anyone to open up some type of 90's only themed place and that. This had me wondering when 80's nostalgia started appearing in the 2000s. In general, I started noticing it a bit in 2002/2003 when VH1 started doing their I Love the 80's series (which I enjoyed watching since I love 80's pop culture). But I don't think I really started noticing its influence, at least musically, until 2005/2006 with songs like these:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0i6-1pudy7I
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Asy6Cpbtwfs

Once the late 2000s came around with the Transformers movies and electropop, the 80's influence became more prevalent.

When did you guys started noticing the 80's influence in the 2000s?

Subject: Re: 80's Nostalgia in the 00's

Written By: Mat1991 on 07/16/12 at 5:38 pm

I could really sense '80s nostalgia at around 2005 or '06, and I even dabbled in a slight '80s obsession (I became interested in '80s music in particular).

Written By: thenewtattoo on 07/17/12 at 7:09 pm

I could really sense '80s nostalgia at around 2005 or '06, and I even dabbled in a slight '80s obsession (I became interested in '80s music in particular).

Matt i was working at a Gadzooks store at a mall in 2005 (my first job) i remember the cds they would play would have 80s songs as well as  some of the clothes had a  80s look.  I remember my co workers talking about how the 80s are coming back ( this was  late 2005 mind u). also the cds that we played had like metric and like 2005 new wave bands that were just coming out. I thought iwas pretty sick although i had no clue the 80s were a like a mash up that were going to take over the 00s decade.  i think Madonnas confessions Cd when it dropped really set the vibe.  It was early 80s retro.

but yes matt you seemed to find out around they same time as me that the 80s were coming back.  Back then it was fresh.

Written By: joeman on 07/17/12 at 7:27 pm

I'm probably gonna end up answering my own question in this thread, but I'll still ask anyway since I'm interested in hearing your comments on the subject. This all started when I was talking with a friend about the 90's and we ended up agreeing that now would be too early for anyone to open up some type of 90's only themed place and that. This had me wondering when 80's nostalgia started appearing in the 2000s. In general, I started noticing it a bit in 2002/2003 when VH1 started doing their I Love the 80's series (which I enjoyed watching since I love 80's pop culture). But I don't think I really started noticing its influence, at least musically, until 2005/2006 with songs like these:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0i6-1pudy7I
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Asy6Cpbtwfs

Once the late 2000s came around with the Transformers movies and electropop, the 80's influence became more prevalent.

When did you guys started noticing the 80's influence in the 2000s?

I noticed the 80s influence in 2004.  I was into the 80s music radio station since they played music I never heard of before and songs I heard in the early 90s when I was 5/6.  I remember one time digging up old toys that I used to play when I was little, and had Care Bears and GI Joes.  It was weird seeing kids with Care Bears, as I had those. 

Written By: thenewtattoo on 07/18/12 at 2:30 pm

I remember in  mid 2006 thinking  like wow its gunna be like the 80s in the next couple of years
I was pretty excited .  It  sorta was the 80s  pop wise

Written By: belmont22 on 07/18/12 at 3:47 pm

80s nostalgia began in 1997 with Romy and Michele's High School Reunion and then early in 1998 The Wedding Singer came out, but really I'd say I began to notice in 2002/2003. By then the heart of the 80s was turning 20 so it really became long enough ago that it was given the retro treatment, even in say 2001 the late 80s especially was too recent, I mean 1989 was only 11/12 years ago, that's like nothing even despite the changes the Internet and stuff caused.

Written By: 80sfan on 07/18/12 at 11:39 pm

It REALLY took off in 2004/2005 or so!

Written By: yelimsexa on 07/19/12 at 7:16 am

I'd say the peak for '80s Nostalgia was right around Michael Jackson's death. It seemed to gradually build over the course of the late '90s and '00s (there was still some '70s nostalgia around until That '70s Show went off the air). In the three years since, the trend has gradually trended away from the '80s and more to the '90s where we find a unique mix of nostalgia between the two decades today, that will only get more '90s-biased as time keeps moving on. When I first saw this board in 2007 I noticed how cool people described their '80s memories, even though I barely was around for it (though my baby's album does show me dancing to Michael Jackson's "Bad" when I was a toddler, along with Wang Chung's "Everybody Have Fun Tonight").

Written By: thenewtattoo on 07/21/12 at 6:45 pm

I'd say the peak for '80s Nostalgia was right around Michael Jackson's death. It seemed to gradually build over the course of the late '90s and '00s (there was still some '70s nostalgia aorund until That '70s Show went off the air). In the three years since, the trend has gradually trended away from the '80s and more to the '90s where we find a unique mix of nostalgia between the two decades today, that will only get more '90s-biased as time keeps moving on. When I first saw this board in 2007 I noticed how cool people described their '80s memories, even though I barely was around for it (though my baby's album does show me dancing to Michael Jackson's "Bad" when I was a toddler, along with Wang Chung's "Everybody Have Fun Tonight").

yes

Written By: TakaWuKid91 on 07/23/12 at 2:48 pm

I'd say the peak for '80s Nostalgia was right around Michael Jackson's death. It seemed to gradually build over the course of the late '90s and '00s (there was still some '70s nostalgia aorund until That '70s Show went off the air). In the three years since, the trend has gradually trended away from the '80s and more to the '90s where we find a unique mix of nostalgia between the two decades today, that will only get more '90s-biased as time keeps moving on. When I first saw this board in 2007 I noticed how cool people described their '80s memories, even though I barely was around for it (though my baby's album does show me dancing to Michael Jackson's "Bad" when I was a toddler, along with Wang Chung's "Everybody Have Fun Tonight").

The 80s nostalgia annoyed the hell outta me.

Check for new replies or respond here...