inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Is reality TV bigger now or in the 00s?

Written By: nintieskid999 on 07/18/12 at 9:46 pm

On one hand, there are much more reality TV shows now and much less variety on the air. However, the reality shows of the 00s were even more obnoxious and got more attention even though there was more variety on the air.

Subject: Re: Is reality TV bigger now or in the 00s?

Written By: MarkMc1990 on 07/18/12 at 10:20 pm

I'd say it's...stabilized? It's really not getting bigger, but it's not going away either. To copy what I said in the other thread, I don't think reality tv is going anywhere anytime soon. It wasn't just a fad, it's its own genre now...expecting it to go away would be like expecting sports programs or kids cartoons to go away. It's just not going to happen.

Written By: 80sfan on 07/18/12 at 11:35 pm

I'd say it's...stabilized? It's really not getting bigger, but it's not going away either. To copy what I said in the other thread, I don't think reality tv is going anywhere anytime soon. It wasn't just a fad, it's its own genre now...expecting it to go away would be like expecting sports programs or kids cartoons to go away. It's just not going to happen.

That's an interesting way of putting it. Yeah, its own genre.

Written By: Howard on 07/19/12 at 7:06 am

It's bigger now than it was 12-13 years ago.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 07/19/12 at 7:12 am

As for German TV, it's still getting bigger and bigger. You can't avoid it - there is one show after another just when you are switching on your TV. And they are still inventing new shows. It's much bigger than it was 10 years ago. The worst are those pseudo reality TV shows which make nearly any topic possible since they just need actors who act like it was real life.

Written By: Howard on 07/19/12 at 8:03 am

What's so special about reality tv?  ::)

Written By: sonikuu on 07/19/12 at 8:08 am

Depends on your definition of bigger.  When it comes to network tv, I think reality tv peaked in popularity around 2002-2004 area.  After that, dramas and scripted shows got popular again.  However, reality tv then started spreading from network tv, where it's popularity was dying down, to cable and satelite tv where it had previously been mostly shut out, except for a few exceptions like MTV.

So now, compared to before, it is bigger on cable and satelite tv than in most of the 00s, but on network tv it's popularity has definitely decreased.

Written By: MarkMc1990 on 07/19/12 at 12:40 pm

^I agree...perfect assessment.

Written By: Starde on 07/19/12 at 12:57 pm

What's so special about reality tv?  ::)

The fact that it's generally cheaper production wise to make than a scripted drama or comedy.

Written By: Howard on 07/19/12 at 12:59 pm

The fact that it's generally cheaper production wise to make than a scripted drama or comedy.

It's been shoved down our throats for the past 13 years.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 07/19/12 at 5:33 pm

Depends on your definition of bigger.  When it comes to network tv, I think reality tv peaked in popularity around 2002-2004 area.  After that, dramas and scripted shows got popular again.  However, reality tv then started spreading from network tv, where it's popularity was dying down, to cable and satelite tv where it had previously been mostly shut out, except for a few exceptions like MTV.

So now, compared to before, it is bigger on cable and satelite tv than in most of the 00s, but on network tv it's popularity has definitely decreased.

I pretty much agree. In 02-04 I ignored network TV in favor of cable TV and could avoid reality shows but now it's much harder to avoid. That's one reason I would say it's bigger now. It has permeated more channels than ever before.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 07/20/12 at 4:13 am

I pretty much agree. In 02-04 I ignored network TV in favor of cable TV and could avoid reality shows but now it's much harder to avoid. That's one reason I would say it's bigger now. It has permeated more channels than ever before.

WTH is network TV? Am I or is Europe really that way behind?  :o  ;D

I only know analog/digital cable, analog/digital satelite, analog/digital antenna TV and internet TV.

Written By: Howard on 07/20/12 at 6:35 am

I mean we got stupid shows we don't need on TV like Teen Mom, Sweet 16, Jersey Shore. Survivor is good and The Bachelor And Bachelorette.

Written By: Shiv on 07/21/12 at 11:40 am

Scripted shows are becoming more popular again after almost being replaced by reality TV in the 00s, but reality TV is still holding its own.

Written By: Creeder on 07/21/12 at 2:58 pm

2000s will be remembered for the reality TV

Written By: Howard on 07/21/12 at 7:15 pm

But why would one want to watch Reality TV?  ???

Written By: belmont22 on 07/25/12 at 5:33 am

It's beginning to lose its novelty but I'd say it's only growing.

Written By: Howard on 07/25/12 at 6:41 am

People like Reality tv cause it reminds them of real life situations.

Written By: yelimsexa on 07/25/12 at 6:56 am

IMO the opposite of reality TV is cartoons, which is reality TV's alter-ego. Game shows are reality TV's uncle and the Talk show is it's aunt; both of those genres have shades in the development of the Reality genre. Nowadays the earliest reality stuff is almost old enough to be run on Nick at Nite. Its sad since reality lacks the escapism that drama, comedy, and animation provide.

Written By: ExtremeMan8 on 07/30/12 at 5:23 pm

Reality TV was bigger in the 2000s but it's still popular today. If it doesn't die down soon I'm sure it will just be the standard TV program to watch. But 2000s will definitely be known as the start of reality TV and have the biggest reality TV culture I believe.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 07/31/12 at 4:26 am

Reality TV was bigger in the 2000s but it's still popular today.

I don't know how it is in the US, but when I switch on my TV over here in Germany, no matter what time it is, there will be a reality show on air. That was not the case at least in the first half of the 2000s. It seems like it is normal now to have reality TV shows - an everyday product which belongs to TV culture. Therefore I would say it is much bigger than in the 2000's, when it was just at the beginning and when there were just a few shows in the afternoon.

Written By: Howard on 07/31/12 at 6:43 am

Reality TV was bigger in the 2000s but it's still popular today. If it doesn't die down soon I'm sure it will just be the standard TV program to watch. But 2000s will definitely be known as the start of reality TV and have the biggest reality TV culture I believe.

I don't think It'll die down anytime soon.

Written By: ExtremeMan8 on 07/31/12 at 1:50 pm

I don't think It'll die down anytime soon.

Yeah but who knows?

Written By: Howard on 07/31/12 at 7:29 pm

Yeah but who knows?

some of the stuff I see on Tv nowadays, don't care about.

Written By: 90s was the gold on 09/07/12 at 6:50 pm

But why would one ant to watch Reality TV?  ???

Are you serious? I can understand if you are talking about tenties decade reality tv but the noughties had television gold. American Idol -especially season three, remember William Hung?
Hell's Kitchen another golden third season, the guy called Josh allowed for some great kitchen entertainment
Fear Factor mainly the first three seasons, but there were great episodes later on
The Amazing Race the season where the "Romber" alliance finished 2nd was awesome, but many great moments across the seasons
The Apprentice It's hard to forge the celebrity apprentice season that Gene Simmons, Stephen Baldwin and the Sopranos guy was on
Meet My Folks & Playing It Straight Both short-lived but cool dating shows
America's Next Top Model Great to eat fast food while watching this.
The Biggest Loser Not just weightloss, an entertaining strategy game as well.

and of course...

SURVIVOR - Especially the Borneo, Pearl Islands and Palau seasons. Would also say All-Stars but Amber beating Boston Rob kind of ruined the ending. And of course, Thailand without Ted's grinding incident. But basically every season has memorable moments to offer, I don't think Guatemala onwards is as good as the first ten seasons though.

Written By: 90s was the gold on 09/07/12 at 6:59 pm

IMO the opposite of reality TV is cartoons, which is reality TV's alter-ego. Game shows are reality TV's uncle and the Talk show is it's aunt; both of those genres have shades in the development of the Reality genre. Nowadays the earliest reality stuff is almost old enough to be run on Nick at Nite. Its sad since reality lacks the escapism that drama, comedy, and animation provide.

I'm guessing you never saw from start to finish the Borneo, Pearl Islands or Palau seasons of Survivor? All three seasons were breath-taking to watch, especially Pearl Islands. Even if Survivor isn't your thing (which from season eleven onwards, I completely understand) there's still a set of other reality shows that can provide television gold.

Written By: 90s was the gold on 09/07/12 at 10:37 pm

I mostly hope we get another great Survivor season. One World was a disaster, and South Pacific had one of the biggest under-the-radar wins since Veceipia won Marquesas 10 years ago. Fear Factor season 7 was okay. It added to the legacy of the show.

Written By: Starde on 09/09/12 at 12:40 am

Are you serious? I can understand if you are talking about tenties decade reality tv but the noughties had television gold. American Idol -especially season three, remember William Hung?
Hell's Kitchen another golden third season, the guy called Josh allowed for some great kitchen entertainment
Fear Factor mainly the first three seasons, but there were great episodes later on
The Amazing Race the season where the "Romber" alliance finished 2nd was awesome, but many great moments across the seasons
The Apprentice It's hard to forge the celebrity apprentice season that Gene Simmons, Stephen Baldwin and the Sopranos guy was on
Meet My Folks & Playing It Straight Both short-lived but cool dating shows
America's Next Top Model Great to eat fast food while watching this.
The Biggest Loser Not just weightloss, an entertaining strategy game as well.

and of course...

SURVIVOR - Especially the Borneo, Pearl Islands and Palau seasons. Would also say All-Stars but Amber beating Boston Rob kind of ruined the ending. And of course, Thailand without Ted's grinding incident. But basically every season has memorable moments to offer, I don't think Guatemala onwards is as good as the first ten seasons though.

Oh God, William Hung! ;D How can anyone forget his cover of Ricky Martin's "She Bangs"? Hahaha. I have never been a fan of reality TV, but I do remember tuning in once in a while to watch Fear Factor and American Idol in the mid 00's.

Written By: 90s was the gold on 09/09/12 at 3:01 am

Oh God, William Hung! ;D How can anyone forget his cover of Ricky Martin's "She Bangs"? Hahaha. I have never been a fan of reality TV, but I do remember tuning in once in a while to watch Fear Factor and American Idol in the mid 00's.

William Hung was a big hero actually. He focused on what he enjoyed doing, no matter what. He would give his best when he sang, and not regret it.

Written By: Howard on 09/09/12 at 7:13 am

I hated William Hung and after that he came out with a freakin Christmas album!  ;D

Written By: ExtremeMan8 on 09/09/12 at 10:37 am

I loved American Idol throughout the 00s. I still watch it but I don't think I will watch the next season because it's just getting too fake for me. They are having Nikki Minaj as a judge, I don't want to be around for that. It's not really entertaining anymore because it's just a popularity contest and teenage girls vote for people who aren't even that good.

Written By: Howard on 09/09/12 at 1:46 pm

I remember the first American Idol that came out, I always watched it and got to see the final 4 but now I just lost interest in the show just like Survivor I was glued to the tv every time it was on but then after a few years later I lost interest too. Did anyone feel the same way? ???

Written By: 90s was the gold on 09/09/12 at 4:33 pm

I remember the first American Idol that came out, I always watched it and got to see the final 4 but now I just lost interest in the show just like Survivor I was glued to the tv every time it was on but then after a few years later I lost interest too. Did anyone feel the same way? ???

Personally, I think Survivor stayed great until Guatemala. Guatemala is the season that killed my interest in the show. But the seasons before then, were amazing epsecially Borneo, Pearl Islands and Palau.

As for American Idol, I mostly liked it for the auditions rather than the later part of the show. But I do agree that the show eventually went downhill, probably the season where Taylor Hicks or whatever he was called on, that was the last decent season.

Written By: Brian06 on 09/10/12 at 7:20 pm

It's bigger now really, though it was more "cutting edge" in the '00s. Now it's just ridiculously mainstream and there's a different reality show for everything. I used to be a pretty big American Idol fan but I think the show lost it, none of the new winners interest me at all but earlier winners like Kelly Clarkson and Carrie Underwood were cool. The biggest problem with reality tv is it lacks the lasting appeal sitcoms and other shows can have. I mean how many people watch American Idol or Survivor reruns from 2003 or something? ROFL It's entertaining for the moment but lacks classic appeal, it's kinda like modern pop music in a way actually!  ;D

Written By: 90s was the gold on 09/10/12 at 11:32 pm

It's bigger now really, though it was more "cutting edge" in the '00s. Now it's just ridiculously mainstream and there's a different reality show for everything. I used to be a pretty big American Idol fan but I think the show lost it, none of the new winners interest me at all but earlier winners like Kelly Clarkson and Carrie Underwood were cool. The biggest problem with reality tv is it lacks the lasting appeal sitcoms and other shows can have. I mean how many people watch American Idol or Survivor reruns from 2003 or something? ROFL It's entertaining for the moment but lacks classic appeal, it's kinda like modern pop music in a way actually!  ;D

ME! ME! ME! ME! I taped Survivor: Pearl Islands on video in 2003 and since then I've watched it over and over and over again through the years. That season nevers gets old, it's a true classic in every applicable sense of the word that I would choose over absolutely ANYTHING from the fifties, seventies and this current decade, EASILY. I'd also choose it over most stuff from the sixties, eighties, nineties and noughties. If you didn't watch Survivor: Pearl Islands from start to finish, you have missed out on more than just a show, but a magical time.

Written By: 90s was the gold on 09/10/12 at 11:42 pm

ME! ME! ME! ME! I taped Survivor: Pearl Islands on video in 2003 and since then I've watched it over and over and over again through the years. That season nevers gets old, it's a true classic in every applicable sense of the word that I would choose over absolutely ANYTHING from the fifties, seventies and this current decade, EASILY. I'd also choose it over most stuff from the sixties, eighties, nineties and noughties. If you didn't watch Survivor: Pearl Islands from start to finish, you have missed out on more than just a show, but a magical time.

BEAT THIS! WOOOOOOO!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_OKJS7OQxPE

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 09/11/12 at 2:25 am

Now it's just ridiculously mainstream and there's a different reality show for everything.

That's exactly what I am observing on German TV. In the (early) 00's it was a new thing and defined the TV culture of that decade, but since you really can't avoid it today, it definetly must be bigger.

Written By: Howard on 09/11/12 at 6:54 am

That's exactly what I am observing on German TV. In the (early) 00's it was a new thing and defined the TV culture of that decade, but since you really can't avoid it today, it definetly must be bigger.

Do they show the same reality programs in Germany?  ???

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 09/11/12 at 7:03 am

Do they show the same reality programs in Germany?  ???

Not exactly the same ones but they share a lot of similarities.

Written By: 90s was the gold on 09/12/12 at 12:23 am

Not exactly the same ones but they share a lot of similarities.

Just saw this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Survivor_(German_TV_series)

It's a shame Survivor wasn't popular in Germany.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 09/12/12 at 4:18 am

...therefore we have some other sh****:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ich_bin_ein_Star_%E2%80%93_Holt_mich_hier_raus!

Written By: Howard on 09/12/12 at 7:29 am

Why do people want to see reality TV? ???

Written By: 90s was the gold on 09/12/12 at 2:06 pm

Why do people want to see reality TV? ???

Because reality television has provided entertaining moments that other genres never could. The Boreno, Pearl Islands, and Palau seasons of Survivor especially were breath-taking if you saw them from start to finish. The Amazing Race that saw Boston Rob and "Ambuh" finish 2nd was an amazing season. And then there's Fear Factor. The third season's Las Vegas special (the third season version with "Crazy Cory)" of Fear Factor could easily be singled out as one of the greatest episodes of any show of all time. And then there's the American Idol episodes that included William Hung. Even The Apprentice had great moments at least the season where Pearse Morgan (correct name?) beat the cowboy guy.

Written By: tv on 09/19/12 at 6:09 pm

Reality TV its not as popular as it was in the first half of the 2000's. The new one's are more serious like "Hells Kitchen", "Restaraunt Impossible" and "Pawn Stars". Of course you still have stuff like "Jersey Shore" and "The Kardashians". "Jersey Shore" is or will be in its last season and "The Kardashians" who knows how much longer that will be around because Kim and Kris Jenner are way overexposed. I mean every week one of them is on the cover of a magazine.

Written By: Howard on 09/19/12 at 7:33 pm

I do watch Restaurant Impossible, Pawn Stars and Hardcore Pawn.

Written By: tatertawt24 on 10/13/12 at 7:17 pm

2000s. I didn't even watch reality TV in the 2000s except for American Idol and I knew how big it was. There was the vh1 craze, old people were obsessed with home makeover shows, game shows were really good quality, awesome talk shows (Ellen, Tyra etc) American Idol, and random miscellaneous gems like Bad Girls Club. (Which sucks now)

Written By: Howard on 10/13/12 at 7:25 pm

I think it's bigger now than it used to be 15 years ago.

Written By: TD3000 on 11/05/12 at 12:58 am

I think it's definitely bigger today. Is it better? Well, that's an entirely different question. But it is more widespread now. Competition-based reality shows (American Idol, X-Factor, Dancing With The Stars, The Voice) are huge right now. Survivor and The Amazing Race are still pretty big. Jersey Shore became a big-time phenomenon. And of course, the Kardashians.

There's a reality show for virtually everything, especially on cable channels. You got your auction shows (Storage Wars, Auction Hunters), food shows (Iron Chef, Chopped, Triple D, all those Gordon Ramsey shows, etc.), pawn shows (Pawn Stars, Hardcore Pawn) D-list celebrity shows (Celebrity Rehab, Basketball Wives), sports (Hard Knocks) and your straight up trashy shows like Teen Mom (YMMV), Love and Hip-Hop ATL, and Honey Boo-Boo.

Written By: Headphones1989 on 11/05/12 at 1:14 am

I think it's bigger now than it used to be 15 years ago.

Defintiely. Because 15 years ago, it was 1997, not the 2000s.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 11/05/12 at 5:05 am

Defintiely. Because 15 years ago, it was 1997, not the 2000s.

I don't even remember 'real' reality tv in the late 90's. At least not in Europe. Maybe 1999, but not earlier.

Written By: belmont22 on 11/05/12 at 7:30 am

It was more of a phenomenon in the 2000s but it's more all-pervasive today. Same with Starbucks, the Internet, and countless other new developments of the past 10 to 20 years.

Written By: Headphones1989 on 11/05/12 at 12:56 pm

It was more of a phenomenon in the 2000s but it's more all-pervasive today. Same with Starbucks, the Internet, and countless other new developments of the past 10 to 20 years.

There's a ton of reality tv that next year's teenagers (born in the 2000s) won't even recall.

Check for new replies or respond here...